Celebrity Dining Room Attire

I stand by the "Grow Up" admonition. My point was that one does not dress "down" at a formal dress/dinner occassion just to make a point that they can do whatever they want. Apparently you do not think the same. There are numerous restaurant/food service venues available - if one does not wish to dress up for a specific restaurant on the designated formal dress night - why not just avail yourself of one of the many other restaurant locations? I'm sorry you did not get my point.............

I have never "dressed down" on the so-called formal night to make a point. I choose not to wear a tux, but a shirt, tie, sportcoat, and dark slacks, but that is my choice, not yours and anyone elses. I will not be relegated to my room or the buffet. I am not hung up on what others choose to wear. So maybe I did not get your point, but you don't seem to be getting mine either!;) Maybe some folks do need to grow up!

What I don't understand about this debate is, do the people who choose to fudge on the ship's dress code do the same in a land based restaurant? There are fine restaurants in most major cities where a dress code (jacket & tie for instance) is enforced. We recently went to a martini bar in Plano,TX which doesn't require ties or suits etc, but did NOT allow tennis shoes. One of the people with us only had tennies, as his dress shoes and "boat shoes" were in his luggage, lost by the airline on his return from a cruise the previous day. He was well dressed w/in the guidelines EXCEPT for his shoes. We explained this to the host and our friend was provided with the UGLIEST pair of leather "clodhoppers". In like a size 14! It was either that or no entry.

However, if no shoes were provided and they enforced the code, we'd have just gone elsewhere with no hard feelings. Maybe =X= should provide huge, loud and ugly suit coats etc for folks that prefer not to pack and dress according to the code. ;-)

In the same vein, what do these people who insist on wearing jeans do when they are invited to a wedding, where the invitation specifies "Black Tie Requested"? Do they think that jeans are appropriate under those circumstances?

I understand that the dress code as posted by Celebrity may not be of interest, or important, to those people who insist on their "right" to wear jeans (the it's-my-vacation-I-paid-for-it,-I'll-wear-what-I-like folks"), but are they not able to respect that the dressier ambience IS important to many people who chose Celebrity?

So maybe I did not get your point, but you don't seem to be getting mine either!;) Maybe some folks do need to grow up!

Because there is NO POINT TO THESE ENDLESS DEBATES ABOUT "WHAT TO WEAR"! :(

The OP asked a simple question, and it was answered 25,000 posts ago.

In the same vein, what do these people who insist on wearing jeans do when they are invited to a wedding, where the invitation specifies "Black Tie Requested"? Do they think that jeans are appropriate under those circumstances?

I understand that the dress code as posted by Celebrity may not be of interest, or important, to those people who insist on their "right" to wear jeans (the it's-my-vacation-I-paid-for-it,-I'll-wear-what-I-like folks"), but are they not able to respect that the dressier ambience IS important to many people who chose Celebrity?

My daughter was married this past weekend and the invitation requested formal wear at her request. The ceremony and reception were held at the Hyatt in Cambridge, Mass which is a better hotel. Some wore a tux, some wore a suit, some wore a sport coat and tie, some wore a shirt and tie, and my daughter said someone wore jeans. You know what? Everyone appeared to be having a great time. When all was said and done, how others dressed did not make a difference to any of us, including to me and it was on my dime!

There are numerous restaurant/food service venues available - if one does not wish to dress up for a specific restaurant on the designated formal dress night - why not just avail yourself of one of the many other restaurant locations?

Hello, "jschutz."

I think that I can probably guess the correct answer to your question.

The MDR often has some especially desirable menu choices on formal nights.

Perhaps those who do "not wish to dress up" do not want to miss out on those delectable choices by dining in one of the casual alternative venues.

Perhaps they also would very much not enjoy dining in their cramped stateroom (i.e., with the MDR choices being delivered via room service).

Perhaps they cruise only once a year (or less often), have paid a great deal for the cruise, and feel entitled to an opportunity to relax and not dress formally in the MDR each night.

Perhaps "X" does not strictly enforce the dress code because they increasingly have sympathy for the point of view of said guests?

Perhaps "X" realizes that it wants to continue to have their patronage, rather than lose them to Norwegian, which does not have "formal" nights?

I'm guessing, but it feels like an "educated guess."

And the OP was not talking about wearing jeans on formal night.

That is true, and the OP has posted that she has resolved the situation to her satisfaction, based on the information provided.

However, sometimes the discussion moves on a bit beyond the original post. It is a discussion board, after all.

With all due respect, people who do not enjoy the ensuing discussions are free to ignore the threads once the questions have been "asked and answered".

Because there is NO POINT TO THESE ENDLESS DEBATES ABOUT "WHAT TO WEAR"! :(

You are correct. I am not sure why so many of us (including me) get into these things!;)

Hello, "jschutz."

Perhaps those who do "not wish to dress up" do not want to miss out on those delectable choices by dining in one of the casual alternative venues.

Perhaps they also would very much not enjoy dining in their cramped stateroom (i.e., with the MDR choices being delivered via room service).

Perhaps they cruise only once a year (or less often), have paid a great deal for the cruise, and feel entitled to an opportunity to relax and not dress formally in the MDR each night.

Perhaps "X" does not strictly enforce the dress code because they increasingly have sympathy for the point of view of said guests?

Perhaps "X" realizes that it wants to continue to have their patronage, rather than lose them to Norwegian, which does not have "formal" nights?

And perhaps it works both ways. There are many cruisers who have chosen Celebrity regularly who appreciate the fact that Celebrity provides a certain product. They have gone out of their way to provide alternatives for those who don't care for formal nights, but haven't completely destroyed what made them special.

My educated guess would be that if they stray too far away from their product, they will lose much more than they will gain.

This probably will add fuel to the fire but I will take that risk.

The problem today in society is that we have lost a great deal of class in how we act, dress etc. There was a time when you traveled on a plane, to church or out to dinner you dressed up. You acted appropriatly when in public and followed a set of social norms. Today many people are so self absorbed and "entitled" that they have lost all sense of manners and decorum. I am certainly not saying that we need to return to the 1950's but we do need to stop this "all about me" mentality and start to recognize that our actions and behaviors impact others. The dress code is in place to encourage a positive experience for everyone and create an atmosphere. You do not have to be of the "country club set" as one poster stated to follow simple rules of etiquette.

I once witnessed a gentleman come into the dining room on formal night with a bathrobe and cowboy hat. He thought it was funny. I and many others who followed the code certainly did not! Ultimately it is about class.

... The dress code is in place to encourage a positive experience for everyone ...

... Ultimately it is about class...

Although I agree with some of what you say, I do take issue with the two statements quoted above.

If the interminable discussion about dining room attire proves anything it's that many people do NOT find adhering to the dress code to be "a positive experience".

And while I concur that it is in poor taste for a gentleman to wear a bathrobe and cowboy hat to the dining room on formal night, I would not say that everyone who deviates from Celebrity's "guidelines for proper dining attire" lacks "class. Some people are very uncomfortable getting "gussied up" in elaborate formal wear. As long as an effort is made to be presentable - collared shirt and long pants or pants/skirt with dressy top - their appearance should not interfere with others' ability to enjoy the occasion.

Wow, I just came off the QM2, in March sailed Silversea, where everyone made an attempt at adhering to the evening dress codes. I'm sailing the Solstice Sunday for the first time....should I just empty my laundry bin into my luggage and wear whatever?

Just got off Celebrity Equinox in the Mediterranean.

I can say that I was pleasantly surprised that on our 10 day cruise, I only noticed jeans worn by one couple during the last night of the cruise. Most everybody - even younger passengers - were in "smart casual" attire on non-formal nights. Our section of the dining room did seem to have an older average age though. Never walked around the whole dining room so I couldn't say if this was true for the entire MDR.

In the end, people will wear what they want and what they are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

And perhaps it works both ways. There are many cruisers who have chosen Celebrity regularly who appreciate the fact that Celebrity provides a certain product. They have gone out of their way to provide alternatives for those who don't care for formal nights, but haven't completely destroyed what made them special.

My educated guess would be that if they stray too far away from their product, they will lose much more than they will gain.

Exactly!!!

I completely understand that some people are not comfortable with formal attire etc. This is why there are other options for eating and no one is being forced to be in that room if they are uncomfortable with this type experience.

The formal dining room has a set of standards which enhance the experience for guests on formal nights. Your suggestion for dress is perfect for informal night but not for formal night as stated by their policy. A simple suit or dark blazer etc would fit very well at this occasion and should be comfortable to most people.

Certainly if a few people dress outside the suggested code it won't alter the experience for everyone. It seems however, to be moving towards a norm which tells me that maybe we just eliminate the experience all together. We could just have everyone eat in the buffet where you can dress anyway you want and then just push and shove your way to the feed trough and fill your trays with piles of food until your ready to explode.

Although I agree with some of what you say, I do take issue with the two statements quoted above.

If the interminable discussion about dining room attire proves anything it's that many people do NOT find adhering to the dress code to be "a positive experience".

And while I concur that it is in poor taste for a gentleman to wear a bathrobe and cowboy hat to the dining room on formal night, I would not say that everyone who deviates from Celebrity's "guidelines for proper dining attire" lacks "class. Some people are very uncomfortable getting "gussied up" in elaborate formal wear. As long as an effort is made to be presentable - collared shirt and long pants or pants/skirt with dressy top - their appearance should not interfere with others' ability to enjoy the occasion.

I always hesitate to comment on "class". The actual clothing that someone wears has nothing to do with whether they have class or not. It is the attitude that "I will only do what I feel like doing" regardless of what is expected that is somewhat classless.

Even though it may not interfere with others enjoyment, for those who are uncomfortable getting "gussied up", the classy thing to so is make other arrangements for a couple of nights.

It just amazes me that people can make such a big deal about having to wear a couple of articles of clothing for a few hours. Do they wear a coat in the winter when they go outside? Do they use an umbrella when it rains? Do they slather themselves up with suntan lotion and get sand all over them when they go to the beach? Do they put on jeans, shirts, sweaters, jackets and boots and gloves when they go to Alaska? Do they bring their scuba gear to go diving?

What is so elaborate about putting on a tie and jacket? :rolleyes:

Amen! My parnter and I both own tuxedo's due to our jobs. I would in no way expect the majority of society to own them as they are impractical BUT most men own a suit or a suit jacket that can be worn with a shirt/tie.

On this past trip we chose not to bring formal wear or suits for various reasons. We made the decision that out of respect for Celebrity's policy on formal nights and out of respect for the other guests who did bring appropriate clothing, we did not eat in the MDR in those nights. It was simple, we chose an alternative option. It is all about respect for the rules and for other people.

I always hesitate to comment on "class". The actual clothing that someone wears has nothing to do with whether they have class or not. It is the attitude that "I will only do what I feel like doing" regardless of what is expected that is somewhat classless.

Even though it may not interfere with others enjoyment, for those who are uncomfortable getting "gussied up", the classy thing to so is make other arrangements for a couple of nights.

It just amazes me that people can make such a big deal about having to wear a couple of articles of clothing for a few hours. Do they wear a coat in the winter when they go outside? Do they use an umbrella when it rains? Do they slather themselves up with suntan lotion and get sand all over them when they go to the beach? Do they put on jeans, shirts, sweaters, jackets and boots and gloves when they go to Alaska? Do they bring their scuba gear to go diving?

What is so elaborate about putting on a tie and jacket? :rolleyes:

Hello, "jschutz."

100% exactly and then some!!!

I have never "dressed down" on the so-called formal night to make a point. I choose not to wear a tux, but a shirt, tie, sportcoat, and dark slacks, but that is my choice, not yours and anyone elses. I will not be relegated to my room or the buffet. I am not hung up on what others choose to wear. So maybe I did not get your point, but you don't seem to be getting mine either!;) Maybe some folks do need to grow up!

I couldn't agree more!!!

One more educated guess. Most of the people who don't want to comply have never set foot on a Celebrity ship.;)

Is this just an assumption that you are throwing out there or have you done a documented study on this? Yes, we don't enjoy dressing up but we do comply. The alternate venues except for room service and the buffet all cost extra money that some people would rather spend elsewhere. You will have those who want to dress up for formal night and those who don't. This is like politics and/or religion. You just have to agree to disagree.

As I said, it's an educated guess.:eek:

One thing we can all agree on is that whether we like to dress up or not, there "is" a dress code on Celebrity and as long as there is, it's just common courtesy to comply or make other arangements.

Thankfully there are lots of options for those who don't care to participate in Formal Nights, including lots of cruiselines that don't have them.

We have just returned from 10 day Equinox cruise and haven't sailed with Celebrity for 3 years but we were very surprised to see how casually dressed many of the passengers were- especially on formal evenings. Having lost our luggage for entire cruise -:mad:- we had to scrape together outfits for formal eve and think we did a better job than many who had all their luggage!We did see lots of jeans after 6o'clock in all areas of the ship.IMHO dress codes no longer appear to mean much.

Archived