Celebrity Dining Room Attire

Thank you, "eandj" and others, for your replies.

You did catch me off guard, however, by stating this:

"MOST wear ties, as expected."

Here again is what the Celebrity dress code is for men on "formal" nights:

Formal -- Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

What I meant was that when a man wears a tux, dinner jacket or suit a tie is a normal part of that look. When wearing the above choices, a tie is assumed and expected.

Since you will be wearing a sportcoat, a tie isn't always part of the outfit. Don't worry, you will not be turned away. ;) If you are indeed worried, carry a memo from your physician. By the way, the dining rooms are kept quite cool.

...The problem lately seems to be that some men don't know what a dinner jacket is so more are showing up in sport coats....

...In other words, it's not important.....

I think that most know what a dinner jacket is. Many of us don't own one because we are not of the country club set. We choose not to rent one because it is not important for us to "pretend" that we are of the country club set!;) I choose to wear a long sleeved shirt, tie, blue blazer, and dark slacks, but that is my choice. I am not the least bit concerned if the "Clothes Police" get their knickers in a knot over my choice.

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Cruise Critic but this is a hot subject on these boards. ;)

We booked Celebrity because it is branded a more upscale cruise liner and we love to dress up in clothes we don't really get an opportunity to wear in our day to day lives. That said, the dress code was not the "deal breaker" as supposedly Celebrity food, service and overall cruise experience is superior to other cruise liners (my first Celebrity cruise in September).

I think as the cruise liners get bigger the mix of people will also increase and therefore dress code may "water down" a little.

We are however planning to have a great cruise, dress up for our formal photos, people watch all the lovely outfits on display and generally have a great holiday and not worry too much what other people do (as long as they don't do some of the things on the "grossest thing you've seen" thread)!!

Please don't shoot me, it's just my own thoughts.

Liz :)

So I am trying to pack for my cruise that leaves in a week and I am trying to pack clothes for dinner. I know in the past Celebrity didn't want people wearing jeans to dinner' date=' but now I can't find if they are allowed or not. I am not talking about baggie, ripped, or dirty jeans. I have some nice ones that can be dressed up and look very nice. Does anyone know if jeans are allowed at dinner? The celebrity website says "smart casual" so are nice jeans considered "smart casual"?

Thanks for your help! :D[/quote']

Why don't you read and follow the dress code that Celebrity publishes and let that be your guide. :confused:

Why don't you read and follow the dress code that Celebrity publishes and let that be your guide. :confused:

How rude, this is one reason I am worried about my forthcoming cruise, that I will meet, and have to sit with people like you. The poster was asking a question, just what these boards are for, and if you took the time to read the replies you would see that there is a bit of confusion on the official site, so they were asking opinions of those who had actually cruised.

How rude, this is one reason I am worried about my forthcoming cruise, that I will meet, and have to sit with people like you. The poster was asking a question, just what these boards are for, and if you took the time to read the replies you would see that there is a bit of confusion on the official site, so they were asking opinions of those who had actually cruised.

You'll learn after a while to ignore the rough and go with the smooth :cool:. There are snipers everywhere, keep 'em peeled.

Thankfully, I have yet to meet anyone on a cruise who talks like they do from behind the safety of a keyboard, including me probably. :D

Just came home from the Summit to New England. My husband took sports jacket and nice pants and shirt. He did not wear a tie. There were men in tuxes also. There were many children aboard. Very well behaved and nicely dressed. Seems many of the children (young teenagers) are well traveled and well behaved. Celebrity has a low tolerance of misbehaved children and adults.

For non formal nights, I wore capris in the MDR for dinner and did see some people in very nice jeans.

Enjoy your trip, we did!!!

I think that most know what a dinner jacket is. Many of us don't own one because we are not of the country club set. We choose not to rent one because it is not important for us to "pretend" that we are of the country club set!;) I choose to wear a long sleeved shirt, tie, blue blazer, and dark slacks, but that is my choice. I am not the least bit concerned if the "Clothes Police" get their knickers in a knot over my choice.

It's not nice to take a quote out of context and it's not necessary to make snide remarks. I hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise.:)

It's not nice to take a quote out of context and it's not necessary to make snide remarks. I hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise.:)

I shall indeed enjoy my first Celebrity cruise and will not be intimidated by "The Clothes Police". It is not nice to comment on how others dress and make snide remarks.:)

You'll learn after a while to ignore the rough and go with the smooth :cool:. There are snipers everywhere, keep 'em peeled.

Thankfully, I have yet to meet anyone on a cruise who talks like they do from behind the safety of a keyboard, including me probably. :D

First, my disclaimer, I am making no comments on what people should wear....

If you carefully read this thread and many others about dress codes, you will find that the snipers are usually those who do not follow the dress codes. Often, people are accused of being snipers or rude for answering the questions. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with telling someone to read the web site, they didn't use any objectionable adjectives or anything, just a straight forward statement.

Cathy is correct in that Celebrity does give conflicting info on their web site and often this is at odds with what is published in the dailies on board. Additionally, I have said for years that they should either enforce their dress codes or get rid of them...

For those of you who do not like to dress up for formal night - just eat in your cabin or go to one of the several restaurants/buffets that do not ask for formal attire. What's the problem? It is a little tiring to hear from posters who are trying to make a statement that they paid just as much as everyone else and so will dress up or dress down as they please - and not pay any attention to the Celebrity dress codes. Let's grow up here. :D

I shall indeed enjoy my first Celebrity cruise and will not be intimidated by "The Clothes Police". It is not nice to comment on how others dress and make snide remarks.:)

There are no "clothes police" on board so there is no reason to ever feel intimidated. The dress code is written by Celebrity, not the other passengers. If there is ever a problem it would be because a Celebrity employee decided to enforce "their" dress code. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. One either chooses to comply or not. As I said, most people do and for those who don't, it's really no one else's problem.

I actually don't see this answer snide or rude. :confused: It is the truth. By using the guidelines, supposedly everyone would know what to wear. EVERY line has their recommended clothing guidelines. Start there when deciding on what to pack.

Unfortunately if the cruiseline doesn't stick to their own published guidelines, what good are they? No wonder posters come here for more clarification. :eek:

No, Chicago Boy was not rude. Just stating what would be obvious.

I posted what I found on the website when I searched dress codes. That is what I would do when I want to know what the dress code is. What I posted was the result.

Yes, I understand that, and I am guessing you posted what you found under FAQ's, which is only part of the dress code.

For the benefit of the OP, and other cruisers who are new to Celebrity, I posted the complete dress code that comes up under under ONBOARD EXPERIENCE >> DINING >> PROPER DINING ATTIRE, since I assumed people would want a full, rather than a partial, answer.

I am not criticizing you in any way. It is the fault of Celebrity's website that you only get part of the dress code (via FAQs) as your first selection when you search "dress code". Celebrity could fix this so easily and save us all a lot of aggravation by having the whole dress code come up as the first choice.

As far as I know, there is nowhere on the Celebrity website or in Celebrity documentation that says jeans ARE acceptable for dinner in the main dining room. Some people use the fact that it doesn't mention jeans as being prohibited in the FAQs as tacit approval to wear jeans. But the language in the full dress code guidelines is very clear on the subject.

"For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés."

People who wear jeans for dinner in the dining room are far and away in the minority, and I just wanted to let the OP have the full text of the guidelines so she would be able to make an informed decision.

jg51, I would not be offended by your dress as described.

I haven't seen anyone on Century, Solstice in MDR on formal night in jeans -- but I really wouldn't be offended if someone wasn't dressed as prescribed by Celebrity. I admit I wasn't really looking at everyone though. I have seen less tuxes and more dark suits and less gowns & more cocktail dresses.

If someone wore jeans & t-shirt on formal night, I might wonder exactly why they chose that mode of dress when some people enjoy having an elegant evening? Seems like they are chosing to make some kind of statement.

Am I too late? You live down here,right? Almost 90 every day. Too hot for jeans if going South. White capris go with everything. I would bring alot of lite fabrics, esp. in white. You will see few jeans. in Summer. People do dress nicely, jeans do stand out. One persons opinion.

I agree that jeans, to me in the Caribbean are crazy. Just the thought of pulling those up on my tanned legs from a hot day at the pool/beach is making me hot.:eek:

But since the ships are kept cool, I guess others don't mind.

There are no "clothes police" on board so there is no reason to ever feel intimidated....quote]

We certainly can agree on this point. I have been on 18 cruises and never have heard anyone on a ship make comments on what others choose to wear. It seems as though the "Clothes Police" only exist on these boards. Case in point is a previous poster who suggested that those who don't want to dress up on formal night should eat in their cabin or go to the buffet. And then went on to say that people should grow up!;)

I stand by the "Grow Up" admonition. My point was that one does not dress "down" at a formal dress/dinner occassion just to make a point that they can do whatever they want. Apparently you do not think the same. There are numerous restaurant/food service venues available - if one does not wish to dress up for a specific restaurant on the designated formal dress night - why not just avail yourself of one of the many other restaurant locations? I'm sorry you did not get my point.............

That's what I do when I don't want to dress up.:) I know many people who feel the same way and enjoy one of the other options when they don't feel like dressing formally. It's great to have alternatives.

What I don't understand about this debate is, do the people who choose to fudge on the ship's dress code do the same in a land based restaurant? There are fine restaurants in most major cities where a dress code (jacket & tie for instance) is enforced. We recently went to a martini bar in Plano,TX which doesn't require ties or suits etc, but did NOT allow tennis shoes. One of the people with us only had tennies, as his dress shoes and "boat shoes" were in his luggage, lost by the airline on his return from a cruise the previous day. He was well dressed w/in the guidelines EXCEPT for his shoes. We explained this to the host and our friend was provided with the UGLIEST pair of leather "clodhoppers". In like a size 14! It was either that or no entry.

However, if no shoes were provided and they enforced the code, we'd have just gone elsewhere with no hard feelings. Maybe =X= should provide huge, loud and ugly suit coats etc for folks that prefer not to pack and dress according to the code. ;-)

Archived