Celebrity Dining Room Attire

I couldn't agree more!!!

I don't know what you people are so bent out of shape about. No one said you have to wear a tux. A suit or dark jacket and pants is perfectly fine. Get over your entitlement attitude and follow the rules.

Is this just an assumption that you are throwing out there or have you done a documented study on this? Yes, we don't enjoy dressing up but we do comply. The alternate venues except for room service and the buffet all cost extra money that some people would rather spend elsewhere. You will have those who want to dress up for formal night and those who don't. This is like politics and/or religion. You just have to agree to disagree.

But at least you comply....that is showing a great deal of respect for those of us who do like to dress up and choose to do so. Thank you!

I don't know what you people are so bent out of shape about. No one said you have to wear a tux. A suit or dark jacket and pants is perfectly fine. Get over your entitlement attitude and follow the rules.

Read into things much? Just agreeing with the poster. Not bent. However, I'm not sure I can say the same about you.

What is really great about cruising is 99.9% of the CC snark is left behind at the pier. It tends to make for a relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

This is like politics and/or religion. You just have to agree to disagree.

Fortunately if your politics differs I can ask you not to share it with me. Not so easy if you are wearing it.

BTW, the OP asked the question, received some good information and "got it" in post 8. Cruisin' With The Fam!, have a great cruise.

Phil

yada yada 'Dress Codes' yada yada 'No Class' yada yada 'QM2 and Silversea' yada yada 'I'll Ignore You If You Arent Dressed Up'.

Celebrity is a Mass Market cruise line. Not Luxury, Mass Market. Sure they have a dress code, but this isnt the Presidential Inaugural Ball. Its a cruise, not a Crossing on a 1950's ocean liner or First Class on the Titanic. I am sure in 1950 they were fussing about how they did things back in 1890. :rolleyes:

And having 'class' isnt about Dress Codes. Remember in 'Titanic' how the homeless stowaway dressed up in a borrowed tux and fooled everyone into thinking he had class? Cal: "You could almost pass as a Gentleman" Jack: "Almost." :rolleyes: Can you say 'Snob'. People have class, not wardrobes. They can make you look 'classy' even if you are trailer trash, but it doesnt mean you have 'Class'.

Like it was said ealier 'As long as an effort is made to be presentable - collared shirt, tie, sportcoat, and dark slacks, pants/skirt with dressy top - their appearance should not interfere with others' ability to enjoy the occasion.'

Get over it, because if you dont you're going to be miserable ignoring everyone else on your Mass Market cruise.

I read that on a Mediterranean cruise' date=' the first formal night will be on a port day. How do you feel about dressing up right after a full day of heavy-duty sight-seeing?[/quote']

We did it. Yes, it's a bit tiring, but we wanted to do the formal night, so it was just fine. For me to slip on a dress was nothing-maybe I didn't get as "gussied" up as a port day, but it worked.

Also though, we always chose late seating, and since we left the ship early, we were generally back by 6 at the latest, so I still had a bit of time to relax.

I read that on a Mediterranean cruise' date=' the first formal night will be on a port day. How do you feel about dressing up right after a full day of heavy-duty sight-seeing?[/quote']

Real answer. I've done it and don't have a problem with it. The request by Celebrity doesn't state formal attire for those evenings falling on sea days only. If it's a long day and think I might not want to be bothered and don't mind missing formal then I'd do smart casual at one of the other venues, but I do enjoy them so I'd have to be really tired to not do the MDR.

Phil

Real answer. I've done it and don't have a problem with it. The request by Celebrity doesn't state formal attire for those evenings falling on sea days only. If it's a long day and think I might not want to be bothered and don't mind missing formal then I'd do smart casual at one of the other venues, but I do enjoy them so I'd have to be really tired to not do the MDR.

Phil

Not making any comment on dress code but formal nights are very often on port days, it is not unusual...

Since I shower and change before every dinner, putting on a dress or dressy pants outfit isn't really much different than any other day. Before I leave for the day, I "locate" the jewelry, dressy purse,shoes etc that I'll use in the evening. Leaves more time for predinner cocktails.:D

<<Perhaps "X" does not strictly enforce the dress code because they increasingly have sympathy for the point of view of said guests?

Perhaps "X" realizes that it wants to continue to have their patronage, rather than lose them to Norwegian, which does not have "formal" nights?>>

JG as you said NCO don't have 'formal'. They had 'Dress up or not" which didn't really make much sense really.

However, yesterday on the NCL board (I think EPIC) and someone wrote that at the entry of the MDR there was someone checking on the clothes worn. For example someone with flip flops wasn't let in.

So once if even NCL is trying to enforce a very basic dress code - I hope other lines will follow suit;

Please note that it seems most of us think some one wearing a sports jacket on Formal Night is quite acceptable. Also dark jeans (that don't really look like jeans) with smart shoes and top for 'smart casual'.

We have just returned from 10 day Equinox cruise and haven't sailed with Celebrity for 3 years but we were very surprised to see how casually dressed many of the passengers were- especially on formal evenings. Having lost our luggage for entire cruise -:mad:- we had to scrape together outfits for formal eve and think we did a better job than many who had all their luggage!We did see lots of jeans after 6o'clock in all areas of the ship.IMHO dress codes no longer appear to mean much.

Well ... that kind of shoots the "Most of the people who don't want to comply [with the dress code] have never set foot on a Celebrity ship" theory full of holes, doesn't it? Perhaps the guess wasn't quite as "educated" after all.

We have all been thru these dress code thread many times but they are still fun. There always seems to be two types asking questions:

1. What is the correct dress code? Thank you, I will pack accordingly.

2. What can I get away with? It says jeans but not dungarees. Do black jeans count as jeans? Are flip flops with shiny fake diamonds Ok? Can I sneak in the back door? Is a Nehru jacket formal?

Alas! Cruise prices have definitely gotten too low!

Well ... that kind of shoots the "Most of the people who don't want to comply [with the dress code] have never set foot on a Celebrity ship" theory full of holes, doesn't it? Perhaps the guess wasn't quite as "educated" after all.

The key word being "guess". For some reason I thought maybe 50 plus Celebrity cruises might entitle me to a "guess".;) How foolish of me. I would still be willing to bet "most" of them haven't been on Celebrity before......apparently just like you. LOL

My daughter was married this past weekend and the invitation requested formal wear at her request. The ceremony and reception were held at the Hyatt in Cambridge, Mass which is a better hotel. Some wore a tux, some wore a suit, some wore a sport coat and tie, some wore a shirt and tie, and my daughter said someone wore jeans. You know what? Everyone appeared to be having a great time. When all was said and done, how others dressed did not make a difference to any of us, including to me and it was on my dime!

Now supposed everyone showed up in jeans. Would that be OK with you and your daughter?

How much more effort exactly is it to put on jacket and tie?

<<Perhaps "X" does not strictly enforce the dress code because they increasingly have sympathy for the point of view of said guests?

Perhaps "X" realizes that it wants to continue to have their patronage, rather than lose them to Norwegian, which does not have "formal" nights?>>

JG as you said NCO don't have 'formal'. They had 'Dress up or not" which didn't really make much sense really.

However, yesterday on the NCL board (I think EPIC) and someone wrote that at the entry of the MDR there was someone checking on the clothes worn. For example someone with flip flops wasn't let in.

So once if even NCL is trying to enforce a very basic dress code - I hope other lines will follow suit;

Please note that it seems most of us think some one wearing a sports jacket on Formal Night is quite acceptable. Also dark jeans (that don't really look like jeans) with smart shoes and top for 'smart casual'.

I have been on both Celebrity and NCL many times and have enjoyed both. However, if you leave Celebrity to sail on NCL for dress code reasons, you probably did not belong on Celebrity in the first place. Totally different cruise experience.

Quote Originally Posted by suzie q viewpost.gif

We have just returned from 10 day Equinox cruise and haven't sailed with Celebrity for 3 years but we were very surprised to see how casually dressed many of the passengers were- especially on formal evenings. Having lost our luggage for entire cruise -:mad:- we had to scrape together outfits for formal eve and think we did a better job than many who had all their luggage!We did see lots of jeans after 6o'clock in all areas of the ship.IMHO dress codes no longer appear to mean much.

I don't know why you would think that the post you quoted (from Susie Q) is justification for your comment. Susie Q lost her luggage...it wasn't that she didn't 'want to comply'. As it was, she and her companion put together the best outfits they could for formal night. We don't know anything about the cruising history of the other people she may have noted wearing jeans in the dining room. So your "theory full of holes" comment was unwarranted.

I have to support Ma Bell's "educated guess". I do spend a fair amount of time on these boards, and although I haven't kept records, my experience has been that most of the people who go on a rant about "it's my cruise, I paid for it, I can wear whatever I want, whenever I want" on dress code threads generally haven't cruised Celebrity yet. (You can tell, either from their list of cruises, or from what they've said about their cruising history). Furthermore, they tend to have a chip on their shoulder about the whole dress code issue.

Whether my DH and I actually feel like dressing up or not, we will do so on formal nights to respect the desire of others to protect the ambience created by Celebrity. There actually IS something that will be lost if every night starts to look the same, if "smart casual" devolves to "casual with smart jeans", which will inevitably devolve to "whatever you feel like wearing". Something will be taken from those who still like to dress up (for themselves, and for each other), while on board. I understand why they still post to these dress code threads...they are trying to protect something they value. There are lots of lines for people to cruise who want to dress very casually all of the time. There are few places, especially at a reasonable price point, where you can have the "Celebrity experience". Although we don't dress for every formal night, we dress for most of them, and we do value the special feeling that is created. At the very least, it is kind of romantic :).

Once most people actually DO sail Celebrity, they understand.

We have all been thru these dress code thread many times but they are still fun. There always seems to be two types asking questions:

1. What is the correct dress code? Thank you, I will pack accordingly.

2. What can I get away with? It says jeans but not dungarees. Do black jeans count as jeans? Are flip flops with shiny fake diamonds Ok? Can I sneak in the back door? Is a Nehru jacket formal?

Alas! Cruise prices have definitely gotten too low!

Your categorization is exactly right!

Now I have to confess, since you mention it, that I DO have patent leather flip flops with Swarovski crystals on the straps. I LOVE them. I KNOW they're "not to code" but I try to sneak them into the dining room sometimes. They have a little bit of a raised heel, so I try to convince myself that they are "a dressy sandal". Denial is not just a river in Egypt.:p

Sometimes when I'm bored with work, a good dress code thread is just what I need to get the blood going again. It's my equivalent of a smoke break :D.

I took Philosophy of Art, Philosophy of Religion and Philosophy of Education as electives in university, just for fun. I should have checked to see if there was a Philosophy of Cruising course. Maybe I can get a Canada Council Grant....:rolleyes:.

I don't know why you would think that the post you quoted (from Susie Q) is justification for your comment. Susie Q lost her luggage...it wasn't that she didn't 'want to comply'. As it was, she and her companion put together the best outfits they could for formal night. We don't know anything about the cruising history of the other people she may have noted wearing jeans in the dining room. So your "theory full of holes" comment was unwarranted.

I have to support Ma Bell's "educated guess". I do spend a fair amount of time on these boards, and although I haven't kept records, my experience has been that most of the people who go on a rant about "it's my cruise, I paid for it, I can wear whatever I want, whenever I want" on dress code threads generally haven't cruised Celebrity yet. (You can tell, either from their list of cruises, or from what they've said about their cruising history). Furthermore, they tend to have a chip on their shoulder about the whole dress code issue.

Was I being too obtuse? I thought it was clear that I was not criticizing Susie Q in any way but rather was picking up on her comment "we were very surprised to see how casually dressed many of the passengers were- especially on formal evenings" - particularly the key words "many passengers".

And if you're suggesting that my comments constituted a "rant" about "it's my cruise, I paid for it, I can wear whatever I want, whenever I want" or that I have "a chip on [my] shoulder about the whole dress code issue" then I need to set the record straight. Personally, I enjoy dressing up for dinner and have done so every time I have dined in the MDR on any ship. However, I fully understand why many people resist this practice and I respect their right to do so without relegating them to the buffet. I don't condone sloppy or tacky beachwear in the dining room but feel strongly that people's dress should not be maligned as long as they are "presentable". I believe the "tux and ballgown" routine is no longer socially relevant on mass market cruises and that we will continue to see the cruise lines relax their suggested guidelines in order to stay in business.

As Bob Dylan said "the times they are a-changing". Rather than digging in one's heels and reminiscing about the good old days when Celebrity offered "a certain product" to a particular "class of people" some on this board might be better advised to move to a luxury line that continues to cater to that niche.

Booked my first Celebrity cruise and been reading through the "dress code" threads trying to see if there is comprimise between purists who partly book the cruise for the "old cruise experience" and those that just booked an itinerary and will try and live with the rules' date=' but also want to have and enjoyable vacation. Seems like Hat hit the nail on the head - if Celebrity were to re-write rules to substitute dinner jacket with sports coat and smart casual to include "dress" jeans and [b']then enforce these standards[/b], it might be a middle ground that would satisfy purists and just plain vacationers alike.

Women usually have no trouble doing formal - a pant suit accessorized and some nice shoes will pass the written rules (and easy to add some bling to really bridge the gap). But, a real sticking point seems to be that dang sports coat for the men. It seems like half these postings would never take place with that one change itty bitty change on their web-site.

While I'm in the camp of wishing they just did a strictly adhered to "resort casual" as some high end lines have done, I have no problem complying with the rules - we picked the ship based and price and itinerary alone, but fully realizing that Celebrity has differentiated themselves in the mass market by appearing more "old school". Only an observation, but it appears that they have been back-pedaling rapidly from that "target market" (any-time dining) and have probably internally re-written who they believe their average customer is and what they want. That said, I am looking forward to the quieter "country club" type service level it is supposed to have. Hope that stays.

None of the mass markets have exactly what we're looking for and we can't afford the luxury or even luxe-lite lines - so we make do and will purchase based on price and itinerary and live with each line's rules.

Was I being too obtuse? I thought it was clear that I was not criticizing Susie Q in any way but rather was picking up on her comment "we were very surprised to see how casually dressed many of the passengers were- especially on formal evenings" - particularly the key words "many passengers".

And if you're suggesting that my comments constituted a "rant" about "it's my cruise, I paid for it, I can wear whatever I want, whenever I want" or that I have "a chip on [my] shoulder about the whole dress code issue" then I need to set the record straight. Personally, I enjoy dressing up for dinner and have done so every time I have dined in the MDR on any ship. However, I fully understand why many people resist this practice and I respect their right to do so without relegating them to the buffet. I don't condone sloppy or tacky beachwear in the dining room but feel strongly that people's dress should not be maligned as long as they are "presentable". I believe the "tux and ballgown" routine is no longer socially relevant on mass market cruises and that we will continue to see the cruise lines relax their suggested guidelines in order to stay in business.

As Bob Dylan said "the times they are a-changing". Rather than digging in one's heels and reminiscing about the good old days when Celebrity offered "a certain product" to a particular "class of people" some on this board might be better advised to move to a luxury line that continues to cater to that niche.

Celebrity has never had a tux and ballgown only formal dress code. There has "always" been the exact same option for a suit or dinner jacket. They still have it.

Rather than digging in one's heels and suggesting that it is anything else, perhaps some might be advised to read it.

Celebrity is a Mass Market cruise line. Not Luxury, Mass Market. ... Get over it, because if you dont you're going to be miserable ignoring everyone else on your Mass Market cruise.

You are mistaken, "dmwnc1959." Having been on several "mass market" cruises and a Celebrity cruise, I know that the latter was not a "mass market" cruise.

Professionals who rate cruises in detail usually separate the various lines into four classifications, which (in my opinion) are accurate:

LUXURY

PREMIUM

MASS MARKET

ECONOMY

Examples:

Celebrity and Holland American are in the Premium classification.

Their sister lines, Royal Caribbean and Princess, respectively, are in the Mass Market classification.

Having traveled with three of the four just-named lines (as well as Norwegian [Mass Market]), I KNOW that Celebrity is a "cut above."

Archived