Balcony door locks

B-May

Can anyone tell me if the balcony doors have locks. Friends are travelling with small children (2 and 4) and worried that the kids will be able to open the door and wander out on the balcony when the parents are looking. Is there a way to have them locked by staff?

thanks,

Betty

Can anyone tell me if the balcony doors have locks. Friends are travelling with small children (2 and 4) and worried that the kids will be able to open the door and wander out on the balcony when the parents are looking. Is there a way to have them locked by staff?
Yes. Princess balcony doors lock and would be very hard for a small child to open. The handle turns down and locks the door in place, no matter whether the door is open, closed or slightly open. No need for a bungee cord or anything else to keep the door in place.

Yes. Princess balcony doors lock and would be very hard for a small child to open. The handle turns down and locks the door in place, no matter whether the door is open, closed or slightly open. No need for a bungee cord or anything else to keep the door in place.

I never knew that this could be done. Ours is either all the way open or all the way closed.

I only found this out on my last cruise. :o Before that it annoyed me that the door could slide shut with the ship`s movement.

I only found this out on my last cruise. :o Before that it annoyed me that the door could slide shut with the ship`s movement.
:)

You have to make sure the handle is absolutely vertical in order to lock it. It takes a bit of strength to do so and since you need to turn the handle up to unlock it, it's very hard for a child. If it turned down, they might but they don't have the height or leverage to unlock the door.

I would not underestimate the abilities of a four year old to open whatever he/she wants that does not have a key lock.

I agree! If anything, bring along a sliding door bar to place in the slidder, just to be absolutely sure that the kids can't open it. I too would never underestimate a child, as each child is different and some can be very determined. ;) Good Luck!

I agree! If anything, bring along a sliding door bar to place in the slidder, just to be absolutely sure that the kids can't open it. I too would never underestimate a child, as each child is different and some can be very determined. ;) Good Luck!

By the time my 4 year old would have displayed such determination I would have had him in my sights and he would have been disuaded into another object of his attention.

I guess this goes without saying.............

By the time my 4 year old would have displayed such determination I would have had him in my sights and he would have been disuaded into another object of his attention.

I guess this goes without saying.............

Same with me, but many now leave the children unattended after they go to sleep and go back out. Not to say this is the case here, but I have heard others talk about it in the past. For me, kids don't leave my sight. ;)

Same with me, but many now leave the children unattended after they go to sleep and go back out. Not to say this is the case here, but I have heard others talk about it in the past. For me, kids don't leave my sight. ;)

Poor little things to be left to monitor their own behavior is so, so scary!

If I knew that little one's were being left alone.....I'd be the first to intervene!

Don't they arrest parents for that behavior? Isn't it called "child abandonment"? You don't leave your child at home alone or in a car. Period. Hmmm... maybe Princess should include something like that in the Passage Contract. But then like some other things, you can't legislate 'stupid.'

...side note

My niece was hospitalized, and her cousins came to visit. The youngest, being too young to go to the room, was entertained in a playroom nearby. There was a playboard in there (like a puzzle board) with various types of locks on it. She mastered them all in quick order. (My 3-year-old niece is very smart :D.) DH and I marveled at the stupidity of the idea of actually teaching small children how to operate the locks... then what will we be able to lock?

The sliding door handle is not that easy to open, even for an adult. It takes a bit of strength but also leverage because you have to turn it up; there's quite a bit of resistance that I think would be difficult for a small child. That said, who knows what kind of trouble a child can find.

Not only can it slide shut, it can lock if the mechanism is faulty. I found this out to my dismay when I was locked out on the balcony. Fortunately, DW happened in, saw my plight, and did what any loving spouse would do-she grabbed the VCR camera and filmed me. This doesn't happen often, I am sure, but it did on the Pacific in January. Yes, they did repair it quickly.

I agree!! Don't underestimate what a 2 or 4 year old can accomplish.

It is possible for them to get the door open.

The doors are very heavy and when they begin to close they can cause a serious injury for a child that small.

True the doors are designed to lock in any position some I have encountered did not work properly that way and the door skid freely.

thanks,

Betty

Double check them once on board. On the Crown in Feb. our patio door did not lock and we did not realize it till I was awoken in the early morning hours to the sound of the sea, the door slide open:eek:

Hugh

I have troubles too--and my husband thought it was just me!

Patricia, you and I would have a very difficult time sharing a balcony cabin......we'd be calling the Steward to come and open the door! :p

Or, we can ask to borrow the 3 year old, down the halll!!!! ;)

Patricia, you and I would have a very difficult time sharing a balcony cabin......we'd be calling the Steward to come and open the door! :p

Or, we can ask to borrow the 3 year old, down the halll!!!! ;)

We would probably only need the 3 year old for all the electronic gadgets. I still have to call my kids to ask about some things--like where is the "off" on the iPOD? We need the 4 year old for the door!

Archived