Seasickness Question

odd man out

We just got back from our first cruise on the Ryndam (Vancouver to Seward). The picture of the ship is a rare sunny day in Ketchikan taken from the flight-seeing plane as we were coming in for a landing.

My question is this, we had a great time, but my wife is hesitant to go on another cruise due to seasickness issues. Of course most of an inside passage cruise is quite calm. But as we were getting dressed for our second formal night (just after leaving Glacier Bay), we hit the Gulf of Alaska and she immediately got very sea sick (dramamine did no good). Some people commented that the seas weren't really that rough, but there were obviously a lot of people who were suffering.

So here are the choices:

A: This was bad luck, all cruises are not this bad and we should plan another.

B: This was typical and we should stick to land vacations.

c: This was typical and we just suck it up take another cruise anyway.

D: There are cruise itineraries that are reliably calm that we should look into (and you will tell me what those are).

E. I know a sure-fire, guaranteed to work sea sickness cure (and you will tell me what that is).

F: Some other option I haven't considered.

TIA for your thoughts.

39053_10150253304420595_811535594_14113128_5108521_n.jpg

Great picture!!

Sorry -- I don't know of anything that is a sure fire work for sea sickness as neither of us has ever gotten sick.

Every cruise we have been on there have always been a couple of days when the seas were really rough -- and we have traveled quite a few different places.

Our cruise to Alaska in Sept a few years ago had the same problem. "Out to sea" meant rocking motion..my sister-in-law missed a formal night for that reason..quite a few people had to hold on to the rails in the corridors just to be able to stand. I think because they are smaller ships, as I never felt anything on the RRC cruise to the caribbean we had done a few years prior.

First you can never be assured of just having smooth seas. When visiting our place in Kauai our daughter was getting motion sickness while transversing the curvy roads leading up to Waimea Canyon. We gave her some ginger and that stopped her nausea.

Many others have reported that ginger by candies, capsules (health stores) are one of the only things that can stop nausea once it has started. Green apples have also been said to stop nausea.

For myself I have never got motion sickness on a cruise ship and have been in some very rough seas. Maybe it's because I have an addiction to the ginger candies handed out by the Yum Yum guy after dinner!

With 26 years of service in the USAF I can say there have been times I wish I would have had the Yum Yum Man flying with me and handing out ginger candy!

What's the difference between motion sickness in the Navy versus the Air Force? If your in the Air Force you look at your watch for it to get better and in the Navy you look at a calendar!

PS..thanks for the picture of the MS Ryndam which is now a background on the computer.

I, for one, don't get seasick. Many years of growing up on the water in Puget Sound on boats, yachts, and floating docks. That said I can't recommend anyplace where you are absolutely guaranteed of no or little motion. Interestingly we were on the Ryndam out of Fort Lauderdale a few years ago and ran into the worst seas I've experienced on a cruise, including two trans-Atlantics. Even once we got into the Caribbean it was rough. It happens. You might want to discuss with your doctor and see what, if anything, might help. Unfortunately it may be that cruising just isn't in the cards for you.

For the seasickness tablets like Bonine and Marzine to work, you have to take them preventively, before you know if you will need them. Apparently they need to be in your system about 24 hours ahead of time to help.

So this becomes a decision many of us have had to accept -- take an OTC medication (read any precautions) that we may not need and may not even have been necessary. But it we had waited, it would have been too late.

So those of us who did learn we don't have the greatest sea legs we take this in the evening before and then every evening thereafter. I add crystalized ginger that I buy in a small bucket at Trader Joes and eat several pieces throughout the day, and always stop at the YumYum man table for more because HAL's ginger is really good.

That worked perfectly for me on our recent Alaska trip which was my trial run after have a two week bout of it on another longer trip which shook up my new recent love affair with cruising. So for Alaska Inside Passage which also took because of its calm reputation, it worked and there were reports from other passengers that we did hit some rough spots but my Bonine/ginger combo really did the trick for me.

So for a while, I belong now to the preventive camp -- starting Bonine 24 hours ahead of the trip, taking it every night and munching on ginger in between. Be sure Bonine is something you can take even though it is an OTC product, it does have side effects for some people. Best to try it for a few days at home and see how it makes you feel. And if you wear contact lenses, this can be a problem but it did not bother mine.

Happy sailing and sorry to hear about the report. Your wife has my total sympathy but I hope she can find a way to give it another try because 85% of our cruising experiences have been like sailing on glass.

And there are some who swear by the non-drug accupressue sea sickness wrist bands and even more so for the pricier electronic stimulation bands that travel stores carry. I think they even sell the regular sea bands in the ship store.

The front desk has some sea sickness pills that I have found very effective on those rare times when I do not feel well. I have seen the Gulf of Alaska get very rough although I experience her as quite calm. I have never been sick in the Western Carribean. Last fall I did a 10 day on the Zuiderdam hitting such places as Curacao, Aruba and the Canal and the whole cruise was quite delightful.

As SwissMyst mentioned, you need to be ahead of the seas with your seasick meds. A cabin low and midship as mentioned is the least rocky.

The calmest cruise we've experienced (Alaska, Carib and Mexico) was the Mexican cruise, but one of our travel companions thought the 2 days heading back to San Diego were punishing and close to h*ll for her. In the Caribbean we were regularly missing diners in the evening due to the odd motion we experienced.

IMHO before writing off cruising as a way to vacation, your wife needs to discuss with her doctor the various remedies available.

I get seasickness to some degree but I'm trying different methods to see what works. Here's the options so far that I've seen:

1.) Bonine

2.) Dramamine

3.) Transderm Scop (patch you put behind your ear every few days but some have side effects with it - i didn't however)

4.) Ginger Root (500mg or more) 2 times a day

5.) Sea bands (wear around the wrist)

I've tried 2, 3 and 5. Unfortunately I tried them all together so I'm not really sure what, if anything, worked. I didn't really feel the wristbands worked, but many swear by them. The patch behind the ear I had fall off after a dose, so I might have lost some coverage there until I figured out it was gone (you have to cleanse the area well before applying else your body's oils will slip it right off! lol). The dramamine I have used outside of a cruise ship for roller coasters. Seems to help some.

I'd say just go with information about the various things you can do to treat seasickness, and pick somewhere that it typically not as rough (for example I'd think you'd not want to go on an alaskan cruise as i've heard the waters are very rough up there - but i can't attest to it personally).

On my cruise coming up, I'm planning on trying Bonine and Ginger. Haven't decided if i'll do both, or one or the other just yet. I will bring it all just in case :-)

Hopefully it doesn't deter her. Cruising is great way to see more of this earth, that's for sure.

I was on a cruise to Alaska 2 years ago on the Star Princess and had absolutely no problem with seasickness, even though we rocked pretty hard one day. I was on the Zaandam two weeks ago and I was sick most of the time. I did take dramamine starting 2 days early and continously during the voyage. It only helped for a little while. I also tried the ginger capsules. Same as dramamine on helping. It won't stop me from cruising. I will just look for something better and be more careful when I choose my cabin.

Thanks for all the tips. So of the choices, it seems that F) None of the above was the most common, with many people leaning toward C) Suck it up and go anyway, and E) I know a good remedy. Interestingly enough there was an episode of "Mythbusters" on the other night where they tested home remedies for sea sickness. Of all the things they tried, the one that worked was ginger, so we may try that one. Other suggestions such as a bigger ship in the Caribbean might work too.

And since you liked the first picture, I offer a couple more. One is me (or my feet) speeding up the channel in search of whales outside Juneau on the Haarvendam, and the other are calmer seas (no ginger necessary) going up the Greenville Channel on the Ryndam.

An intersting coda: My wife had no problems with motion sickness on either the bumpy ride on the Haarvendam, or the buzzing of mountain goats on the flightseeing trip in the Misty Fjords. Hmmm

40008_10150253304730595_811535594_14113154_7085663_n.jpg

38723_10150253302625595_811535594_14113075_1531405_n.jpg

Sea bands!!!

They worked for me - and I was absolutely sure they would not. I scoffed at the idea and took along meds just in case.

But they worked.

I use them for at least 24 hours [been thinking I need to put some glitter on them for formal night! :eek:] then I am OK.

I've only sailed the Caribbean and we had some really rough weather [tropical storm] and I was fine. I did not need to put the sea bands back on.

But on another cruise, it was a combination of the wind direction and the waves -- nothing really rough - that had me running for the sea bands. Even seasoned sailors were sick with that combination.

Definitely don't let this stop you from cruising! I'm very prone to seasickness and have used the Scopalamine Patch with success when I know we'll be at sea where it'll be potentially rough. I also, as in AK, use Marazine before heading out the first day...once we're in the passage I can stop it...and make sure I have it "on board" whenever we are going through the Gulf of AK...

Also, as others have said, we forego the verandah cabins, even though they are lovely, in favor of low and mid-ships...which means an outside cabin or an inside one on the second deck from the bottom. They definitely have MUCH less motion. Friends in a Verandah cabin were having a lot of motion sickness problems and when we went up to check on them I couldn't believe how much more motion there was.

We're on a cruise in a week that goes into the North Sea and the North Atlantic, so in addition to the low midship cabin, I've got my Marazine, & Ginger Pills, shall take ginger candies...and ask the steward for green apples to have in the cabin. Be prepared!

Thanks for all the tips. So of the choices, it seems that F) None of the above was the most common, with many people leaning toward C) Suck it up and go anyway, and E) I know a good remedy. Interestingly enough there was an episode of "Mythbusters" on the other night where they tested home remedies for sea sickness. Of all the things they tried, the one that worked was ginger, so we may try that one. Other suggestions such as a bigger ship in the Caribbean might work too.

And since you liked the first picture, I offer a couple more. One is me (or my feet) speeding up the channel in search of whales outside Juneau on the Haarvendam, and the other are calmer seas (no ginger necessary) going up the Greenville Channel on the Ryndam.

An intersting coda: My wife had no problems with motion sickness on either the bumpy ride on the Haarvendam, or the buzzing of mountain goats on the flightseeing trip in the Misty Fjords. Hmmm

40008_10150253304730595_811535594_14113154_7085663_n.jpg

38723_10150253302625595_811535594_14113075_1531405_n.jpg

One more response: I do get seasick and that is why I am not really keen on cruises. However, on the cruises that we have taken, I used the scopolamine (sp?) patch which goes behind the ear. I get side effects, but only dry mouth, vivid dreams, and just ever so slightly zoned out, but it is so much better than being seasick. The other trick is to get a room that is at the fulcrum of the ship - which would be very close to the reception desk - usually third deck or so and in the middle. Was told this also by the ship staff.

All in all , land is better for me.

Your pictures are beautiful.

I have never been actually seasick on a cruise, but as a child I did get quite seasick while sailing. A time or two, I have felt queasy on the cruise ships. Sometimes whatever you eat or drink may cause some additional discomfort. I bring along peppermint tea and crystallized ginger for possible seasickness. We discovered that our oldest daughter (17 at time of first and only cruise) gets seasick while cruising, and also on the small boats if the water is choppy. She only went on one cruise with us, and much prefers land travel. Sea travel isn't for everyone.

I get very motion sick with just about anything. Did you not know about the patches? They are trans derm scope, they look like a round bandaid you put behind your ear. They use these for cancer patients. I have been cruising for 17 years and I wouldn't go without them. You will have to get them from your doctor. I bet you saw people with them on. It is a time release medicine. When you shower, etc. you can take it off, lay it upright and then it will restick. Do NOT use lotion, etc. there or it will fall off. They say change every 3 days, I decided I would try to see how long they would work. We were in the Pacific and it worked for 7. In the evening I started feeling a little strange, put a new one on and within 30 minutes I was fine. They come in a box of 4. That is a shame someone didn't tell you guys about them. Tell her they will work fine, put on at least 4 hours before leaving.

Mary

Don't give up cruising!

We have crossed the Gulf of Alaska the last three summers.

08 - Zaandam - huge waves both up and back, 9yo ds was sick both ways, missed meals; we even saw a tray of food fly in the MDR

09 - Ryndam - ok up, but the barf bags were out on the way back, but this time ds was better, we found bonine!

10 - Amsterdam - the Gulf was smooth as glass, the only sunshine of the whole cruise

Dw and ds were ready to give up after the first cruise. We talked to our Dr.. and he said you have to start the bonine BEFORE you need it, as much as 48 hours. So ds now starts on bonine 2 days before crossing the Gulf of Alaska. BTW - he is already planning the Alaska cruise for next summer, and yes, he wants to cross the gulf!

This works for me - your mileage may of course vary:

1. Dramamine (the 24 hour kind) each evening, regardless of conditions, begining one night before I step on the ship and each night thereafter.

2. Ginger tablets, morning and night, beginning one week prior to stepping on ship and again, daily on ship.

3. Crystalized Ginger as needed and most important:

4. Fresh air and mild exercise, every day. A walk around the promenade works wonders if a little queasy.

You should be fine for the garden variety of "mal de mer" using the above. If it's really bad and rocking and rolling, I don't drink alcohol either :eek: (the horror......)

I have been on 2 cruises and no problems with motion sickness.. and am assuming it will be the same on AK cruise later this month. When I fly in a 4 seater airplane, I do get sick. Bonine along with the "watch that gives a shock" (cannot think of it's name) help, but don't completely solve the problem.

The secret is to start taking the medication (pills, patch, whatever) BEFORE you need it so if you know are prone to motion sickness start taking the meds the day before you leave. If the seas are calm, that's OK; if it's rough you are covered.

You will hear lots of stories about that first night after Glacier Bay which does tend to be lumpy. Perhaps it's more noticeable because until then the Inside Passage is usually like glass. We experienced a very uncomfortable night last summer on the Zuiderdam - it wasn't rough but there was a slow, rolling swell that made the whole ship twist and yawl. Lots of green faces that night and even I (who never gets sick) was beginning to feel very queasy.

Sea Bands....work for me! I've only been really sea sick once and that was due to the rough waters out of LA headed for Hawaii on the 2nd day. NOW I know how fast I can have a bad case of sea sickness!!! I tried the ginger pills and finally had to just spend the rest of that day and night in bed!!! and lost one of my favorite cruise pastimes....sea days. NOW.....I wear the Sea Bands on our cruises!!! Any time I feel the least bit like I might get a little sea sick, I reach down and feel my Sea Bands and know I will be fine.

BTW....your pictures are awesome! Thanks for posting them. What camera were you using? :)

Archived