Saying goodbye to Holland...Veendam A/C problems

karenj4546

As for a percentage? Seriously? If I'm not sleeping because the cabin temp is too hot, that affects 100% of my life onboard and ashore.

I normally only sleep 5-6 hours a night and if I'm not comfortable enough to rest well during those few hours I'm not up to snuff the rest of the day, no matter how good the A/C is in the rest of the ship.

Being rather um, uh, "well insulated" a room that's slightly too warm for someone else will leave me covered in sweat. Not a pleasant prospect for me, or those that have to be around me either.

(Our Alaska cruise next month can't come quickly enough!!! As I write this we're having a "cool streak" and it's only 97 outside.) Bah!

I think HAL has a good future passenger filter in operation right now. Not sure they want to change this. Those that demand 100% satisfaction 100% of the time are on notice and are best served elsewhere.

I don't want my HAL prices to go up to satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. I like sailing with those who can roll with the punches, and not demand HAL pay through the nose to make them subjectively happy. Because we are still discussing this in the most subjective of terms.

When is someone going to contract with HAL for a specific, objective range of cabin temperatures that is acceptable with the assurance HAL will be fully 100% responsible financially for the full and entire price paid, if even for a minute the cabin temperature exceeds that bargained for range?

Objective proof required for cabin temperature measurements, naturally.

IMHO functioning air conditioning is in the same league as functioning plumbing and a seaworthy vessel. It is basic, it is necessary. It should function. Water should be delivered at the temperature expected (hot and cold), toilets should flush effectively, bathtubs and sinks should drain, and air conditioning should cool a cabin. The ship should float.

Again JMHO but being without a/c in a hot climate would be a vacation-wrecker for us. I'd try camping in the Atrium or at the front desk, but if that didn't help, I fear we'd be leaving the ship.

And if you've read my review of our last Ryndam cruise, you will know 100% that we still enjoy ourselves with significantly less than a 100% cruise experience.

I must be that .1%. And, I can think of some future offers that would make me happy. We don't have central A/C in our home, but we do have lots of fans.

You well may be that .1% that is fine without A/C which is why I said 99.9%:D. I know several people who absolutely love the heat.

Not having central air in your home has nothing to do with this. When we book a cruise, particularly in the tropics, we are under the impression we will have air conditioning in our rooms.

So pack your fans and enjoy:).

LOL. No' date=' we don't keep it that low during the summer. But some people like it really cool for sleeping especially and as long as they are fixing it, they might as well have the air get down to what the most hot-blooded pax might require. (-:[/quote']

I know a few people who turn their air to 65 at night for sleeping. They like it cold. Personally I have mine at 73. But that's one of the reasons for inidividual thermostats in the cabins ... gives us choices:).

I think HAL has a good future passenger filter in operation right now. Not sure they want to change this. Those that demand 100% satisfaction 100% of the time are on notice and are best served elsewhere.

I don't want my HAL prices to go up to satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. I like sailing with those who can roll with the punches, and not demand HAL pay through the nose to make them subjectively happy. Because we are still discussing this in the most subjective of terms.

Objective proof required for cabin temperature measurements, naturally.

There has got to be something terribly wrong with me this evening ... honestly. I'm worried about myself. What am I missing here???

I don't think there's a person here asking for 100% satisfaction 100% of the time so this only serves as a diversion tactic. Just to be clear, we said we expect to have the opportunity to cool our cabins to a reasonable temperature 100% of the time. I don't see that as unreasonable.

HAL has no problem spending millions to add wading pools, retreats, more cabins (that can't be cooled effectively) and a myriad of other little dress-ups. So I really don't think it's asking too much to ask that certain basic requirements of comfortable cruising be met.

I normally only sleep 5-6 hours a night and if I'm not comfortable enough to rest well during those few hours I'm not up to snuff the rest of the day, no matter how good the A/C is in the rest of the ship.

Being rather um, uh, "well insulated" a room that's slightly too warm for someone else will leave me covered in sweat. Not a pleasant prospect for me, or those that have to be around me either.

(Our Alaska cruise next month can't come quickly enough!!! As I write this we're having a "cool streak" and it's only 97 outside.) Bah!

I'm with you totally on this.... if I don't get a decent sleep, I'm done for the next day. As my sleep deficit increases, my ability to cope diminishes. It can get pretty scary for those around me :) I'm not "well insulated", neither is my DH, but we both need a cool cabin for a decent sleep.

Me, too! I have NO idea what that poster is talking about. Unless the Zaandam has the same A/C problems as the Veendam, we are on our way.

We had to have engineering come take a look at our A/C on the Zaandam. Less than 4 hours after we inquired, the engineer had come, removed a wall panel, turned a valve, solved the problem and gone.

The remaining 13 days of the cruise the stateroom was very comfortable. If we hadn't asked to have it looked at though, we would have been miserable and tweaking the thermostat the whole cruise.

I don't think we 'Got Lucky' - the Zaandam just seems to have a better engineered and functioning A/C system.

I would doubt whether HAL or any other cruise line would dump cabins that are not up to par from HVAC perspective on anyone.....it can only lead to loosing a customer.

This is an indication to me of how HAL handles issues with customers. I would have packed up and slept in the Atrium or some other public place. My guess is that HAL would have fixed the 'squeeking door' pronto.

this was the worst cruise we have taken out of 32 cruises then they offer 2 upgrades on the same inside cabins big deal!!! they are sooo gererous WE WILL NEVER GO ON A HOLLAND AMERICA AGAIN UNLESS THEY OFFER A MUCH BETTER DEAL THAN A UPGRADE

Hey, you're on the wrong thread! This is the "Shame on you HAL for having the gall to still operate Veendam on a weekly basis to Bermuda, while in the truly sorry state she's in" thread. For Zaandam bagging, please start your own/a new one:cool:

You well may be that .1% that is fine without A/C which is why I said 99.9%:D. I know several people who absolutely love the heat.

Not having central air in your home has nothing to do with this. When we book a cruise, particularly in the tropics, we are under the impression we will have air conditioning in our rooms.

So pack your fans and enjoy:).

I know a few people who turn their air to 65 at night for sleeping. They like it cold. Personally I have mine at 73. But that's one of the reasons for inidividual thermostats in the cabins ... gives us choices:).

There has got to be something terribly wrong with me this evening ... honestly. I'm worried about myself. What am I missing here???

I don't think there's a person here asking for 100% satisfaction 100% of the time so this only serves as a diversion tactic. Just to be clear, we said we expect to have the opportunity to cool our cabins to a reasonable temperature 100% of the time. I don't see that as unreasonable.

HAL has no problem spending millions to add wading pools, retreats, more cabins (that can't be cooled effectively) and a myriad of other little dress-ups. So I really don't think it's asking too much to ask that certain basic requirements of comfortable cruising be met.

I highlighted a portion of your post and enlarged it for a purpose. I hope you do not object...

I would only like to add that from what we have all been reading, that the word "DEFECTIVE" should be added to the highlighted sentence...

The wading pool, from a myriad of reviews constantly has broken tiles, leaks, is out of commission for whatever reasons.

And the staterooms:eek: YIKES, I am not going into that anymore as that is one of the main reasons for these Veendam threads:(

Joanie

We had to have engineering come take a look at our A/C on the Zaandam. Less than 4 hours after we inquired, the engineer had come, removed a wall panel, turned a valve, solved the problem and gone.

The remaining 13 days of the cruise the stateroom was very comfortable. If we hadn't asked to have it looked at though, we would have been miserable and tweaking the thermostat the whole cruise.

I don't think we 'Got Lucky' - the Zaandam just seems to have a better engineered and functioning A/C system.

This will be our first time on the Zaandam. How did you like her? And if you don't mind my asking, how long ago was the cruise with the thermostat problem? We will have an "S" category cabin and are hoping that all will be well.

Thanks in advance for answering!

Absolutely. HAL advertises their cabins as a comfortable retreat. Functioning a/c is a basic amenity that would be expected on any cruise ship or hotel room in a warm climate.

This will be our first time on the Zaandam. How did you like her? And if you don't mind my asking, how long ago was the cruise with the thermostat problem? We will have an "S" category cabin and are hoping that all will be well.

Thanks in advance for answering!

We absolutely LOVED the Zaandam. She's not a new ship, but very well maintained and quite beautiful. I especially enjoyed the 'Music' theme of the ship. Congratulations on your 'S'. We were in a 'D' - outside, Lower Promenade for our Hawaii cruise. Very nice, we thought, and our favorite deck for Outside staterooms.

The cruise was in January 2008. If I remember correctly, the engineer said the room was set up for heating, not cooling. The thermostat was working fine, but the A/C had in effect been shut off in the wall.

Enjoy your cruise and do let us know how it went! :D

We absolutely LOVED the Zaandam. She's not a new ship, but very well maintained and quite beautiful. I especially enjoyed the 'Music' theme of the ship. Congratulations on your 'S'. We were in a 'D' - outside, Lower Promenade for our Hawaii cruise. Very nice, we thought, and our favorite deck for Outside staterooms.

The cruise was in January 2008. If I remember correctly, the engineer said the room was set up for heating, not cooling. The thermostat was working fine, but the A/C had in effect been shut off in the wall.

Enjoy your cruise and do let us know how it went! :D

Thanks so much, HALfans! What time of year was your cruise? Where did you go? We will be doing the "Circle Hawaii" round trip from Vancouver, leaving on April 24, 2011. Having the A/C is important to me as I am in "that" time of my life where I do need the cool ;)!

The Zaandam has a music theme...fantastic! I play piano and love music so that is perfect. As far as the "S" category, our fabulous TA has a group booking on that cruise and was able to get us a great price on the "S" cabin. We were wanting to book a verandah cabin and he got us in the "S" category for "not-very-much-more-$$", so we grabbed it. That's one of the main reasons we were hoping we wouldn't have to cancel or change this cruise, too!

Thanks so very much! :)

Do civilized and intelligent people actually sleep in the atrium?

I consider myself a quite civilized and semi intelligent person. And yes, I would sleep in the Atrium if need be. The reasoning would be, IMO that there the HAL ship officers would see me and have to take notice and hopefully rectify the situation immediately. BTW, I'd also have someone take pictures of me having to sleep in the atrium so I could include them with my registered letter to HAL's Corporate officers.

I see it as this, if I sleep on deck, the officers will just think I enjoy the great outdoors. If I sleep in the atrium, they will realize:

A. I am a stowaway

B. There is some sort of problem and I need help...

Joanie

Thanks so much, HALfans! What time of year was your cruise? Where did you go? We will be doing the "Circle Hawaii" round trip from Vancouver, leaving on April 24, 2011. Having the A/C is important to me as I am in "that" time of my life where I do need the cool ;)!

The Zaandam has a music theme...fantastic! I play piano and love music so that is perfect. As far as the "S" category, our fabulous TA has a group booking on that cruise and was able to get us a great price on the "S" cabin. We were wanting to book a verandah cabin and he got us in the "S" category for "not-very-much-more-$$", so we grabbed it. That's one of the main reasons we were hoping we wouldn't have to cancel or change this cruise, too!

Thanks so very much! :)

We sailed the Zaandam in January, to Hawaii R/T San Diego.

Your itinerary looks very nice. You get to overnight in Honolulu! Ours did too. If you're a beer fan check out the Gordon Biersch near the Aloha Tower.

With that many windows, in April, that much closer to the equator... if your stateroom gets warm use the drapes to keep the sun from shining directly in the room if that's ever a problem (in the evenings or mornings I guess?). ;) That will help your comfort level no matter how nice the view is. LOL. We haven't been in an 'S' on the Zaandam but haven't noticed any A/C complaints about them either. So plan to go and enjoy!

Do civilized and intelligent people actually sleep in the atrium?

I'm intelligent enough to find an alternate place to sleep if my cabin is unbearable, and there's no relief coming.

I'm civilized enough to be modestly covered. Heck, I may even wear pearls. Can't get much more civilized than pearls.

We sailed the Zaandam in January, to Hawaii R/T San Diego.

Your itinerary looks very nice. You get to overnight in Honolulu! Ours did too. If you're a beer fan check out the Gordon Biersch near the Aloha Tower.

With that many windows, in April, that much closer to the equator... if your stateroom gets warm use the drapes to keep the sun from shining directly in the room if that's ever a problem (in the evenings or mornings I guess?). ;) That will help your comfort level no matter how nice the view is. LOL. We haven't been in an 'S' on the Zaandam but haven't noticed any A/C complaints about them either. So plan to go and enjoy!

Thanks again, HALfans! You guys are great. Hope to meet you on board one day! :) :D

Any inside cabin on any ship with no natural ventilation is going to become unbearably hot if the A/C isn't working properly. It's one of the reasons why I'd never risk it because I'm one of those people who need (a) natural light and (b) fresh air. I understand that inside cabins are the only affordable way to cruise for many people and I'm not suggesting for one minute that they deserve an inferior quality of service or accommodation but there's only so much a cruiseline can do if the design of their inside cabins in inherantly flawed, ie, they rely on A/C alone to maintain a comfortable temperature.

...cabins (Dolphin / A deck depending on the ship) and find the following item (#2) well worth the cost:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PUR90/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000BKGOM2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00DQHHKXHZS17SS8E9N0

Seriously, I'm sorry you had a 'warm cruise' (I can identify). There's really no excuse for the ventilation problems and your travel costs incurred (regardless of your placemnt on the ship).

I can only say that another follow-up letter should be forwarded describing your dissatisfaction with the reply for the cruise as described.

Good luck.

May your next cruise be a GREAT CRUISE! (regardless of cruise line).

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Yup, me ROFLMBO too imagining RuthC with Pearls and a Marge Simpson blue hairdo. Nothing more civilized than that, yes, yes, yes!

Pearls and feety pajamas! Just the way to "dress up" the Atrium!

(Remember-Ruth, you only have to wear the pearls to sleep in the atrium if it is formal night!"):D

Archived