Saying goodbye to Holland...Veendam A/C problems

karenj4546

The cruiseline advertises comfortable, climate controlled staterooms... I know that stuff happens, but this is a systemic issue on the Veendam. Yet HAL continues to sell these rooms in spite of continued complaints by pax. There is a lack of responsibility if not negligence on the cruiselines part.

We don't know this is a systemic issue on Veendam unless, as Heather suggests, folks come back to CC and post their cabin numbers.

Otherwise, for all we know it's the same 5 staterooms. It would also help HAL to look into it if they see complaints regarding the same rooms, which they may well know already.

Those that claim a truly 'critical' health need for 60's and low '70's temperatures ought never travel generally; especially never to southern climates. 'Nuff said. I'd be curious what specific health condition 'critically' can't handle temperatures in the upper 70's (less than 80 degrees)?

If it is preference... merely a preference to occupy meat locker temperatures then stop making it seem like a 'major failure' if any cruise line operating densely occupied ships to periodically regularly fail to fulfill that frigid desire or demand.

Nope...it's a need, not a preference, when we're talking about a week or more duration. Bless your heart for caring enough to post! I'll give your kind suggestion I not travel all due consideration.

I think that a/c is a need in the summer months. However, I was speaking to my mom about how unbelievably hot it is in FL right now. School has started, and our young kids are riding a bus home w/ no a/c when the heat index is over 100 degrees. I can't believe this is safe. My mom reminded me that she grew up in FL, had no a/c, sat in church with stockings on and fanned herself for hours with 90 degree + temps common, etc. She told me I have become 'spoiled'. No, my need for a/c is not life or death right now (it may be for others) but IF I booked a cabin on a cruise ship and didn't have it, I would be one UNhappy spoiled camper....especially if there was no window to open.

This should be fixed...cabins with issues should be posted. If there are known problems and HAL does not disclose to those who have asked, I think this gets close to negligence on its part. Just my thoughts.

Very sorry to hear of these issues. Happy future (refrigerated) travels to all!

I think that a/c is a need in the summer months. However, I was speaking to my mom about how unbelievably hot it is in FL right now. School has started, and our young kids are riding a bus home w/ no a/c when the heat index is over 100 degrees. I can't believe this is safe. My mom reminded me that she grew up in FL, had no a/c, sat in church with stockings on and fanned herself for hours with 90 degree + temps common, etc. She told me I have become 'spoiled'. No, my need for a/c is not life or death right now (it may be for others) but IF I booked a cabin on a cruise ship and didn't have it, I would be one UNhappy spoiled camper....especially if there was no window to open.

This should be fixed...cabins with issues should be posted. If there are known problems and HAL does not disclose to those who have asked, I think this gets close to negligence on its part. Just my thoughts.

Very sorry to hear of these issues. Happy future (refrigerated) travels to all!

Yes, I remember the "good old days" when my first car did not have air!

I still don't think posting cabin numbers with faulty air conditioning means a thing. That is not a set fact. It probably changes constantly. A given cabin may be very hot one cruise, the thermostat or whatever is fixed and works fine the next but something else causes it to malfunction a month later. I think posting cabin numbers will be like a dog chasing its tail.

IMO........

First, I honestly cannot believe that there are people coming on this thread and suggesting that the answer to the problem lies in stopping travel altogether.:eek:

You cannot be serious.

Also, for those posting cabin numbers and asking "is there a problem??", that's not going to work because your post will get lost. As someone pointed out, someone has already started a thread and the idea is to post after you've cruised and report back about your cabin number and whether you found it comfortable.

If enough people cooperate and do that, eventually it will be an excellent source of information and really be helpful to anyone considering booking on the Veendam. On the Celebrity board I'm pretty sure they made the Solstice thread a sticky so it was always on top.

So far most people post their problem never mentioning their cabin numbers. I would post mine, but it was 2007 and the cabin has now been demolished in order to change the stern.

I still don't think posting cabin numbers with faulty air conditioning means a thing. That is not a set fact. It probably changes constantly. A given cabin may be very hot one cruise, the thermostat or whatever is fixed and works fine the next but something else causes it to malfunction a month later. I think posting cabin numbers will be like a dog chasing its tail.

IMO........

Unfortunately, you're probably right, especially if part of the problem is doors kept open on verandahs and lanais. The door-open cabins will vary from cruise to cruise, and so may the balance/unbalance effect on the AC.

I would also add, (& I believe this has been posted before) that 78 or 79 degrees in a house where windows & doors can be opened, is completely different from being in a stuffy inside cabin with no fresh air or air movement.

Absolutely correct.

We were in Alaska and the outside temperature had absolutely NO affect in our inside cabin.

For some to say it's a "preference" and not a "need", I beg to differ. I suffer from severe menopause. No AC means no sleep, among other things, for me. No exaggeration.

I would also add, (& I believe this has been posted before) that 78 or 79 degrees in a house where windows & doors can be opened, is completely different from being in a stuffy inside cabin with no fresh air or air movement.

Air is moved with fans, not by opening windows and doors. Lots of people keep their a/c in the upper 70s or even 80 with the a/c and fans moving the air. That is too warm for me and I'm not happy at those temperatures even with a fan.

Air is moved with fans, not by opening windows and doors. Lots of people keep their a/c in the upper 70s or even 80 with the a/c and fans moving the air. That is too warm for me and I'm not happy at those temperatures even with a fan.

My point was that having fresh air makes a difference. Only having a fan in a closed in, inside cabin to me would not make me happy either. But a/c and a fan, nothing wrong with that. And I can get a nice cross breeze going with windows open, I'm sure that curtain isn't moving itself. ;)

People are specifically asked not to prop open their verendah doors (hence the strong springs that make them SLAM shut all the d**n time - different rant) because leaving them open throws the whole A/C system out of whack which in turn may well contribute to the poor A/C for inside cabins in the first place! Phew.

I think the lesson is clear, if you want some control over the climate in your cabin then think twice about picking an inside because if the A/C isn't working properly there's very little you can do about it.

I know that with my mom, her cardiologist recommended her sleeping temps to be between 65 and 70 for optimal rest (which she needs for her health). They also said that she should stay out of 90's and above at all costs. I know that when we travel together, I freeze--but I can always request an extra blanket (or 6).

I have had students with severe seizure disorders that require colder temps as well.

My SIL with MS risks an exacerbation to her symptoms if she is in prolonged heat. Her symptoms can include loss of vision, reduced mobility, pain, loss of coordination...

Temperature control is very important to some people, and they should not have to restrict their travel on a climate controlled cruiseline (a very accessable form of travel) because the the cruiseline can't get it right. just sayin'

You are absolutely right!!!

DH also has MS and faces the same risk.

We spent a large amount of money for an in-ground propane tank and a generator that can power most of the house - including one of our two central air conditioning systems - just in case we have a power outage.

Because after the hurricanes we had in 2004 and 2005, DH had a very difficult time handling the heat.

He would be outraged to be on a cruise and find his cabin had no AC.

I think the lesson is clear, if you want some control over the climate in your cabin then think twice about picking an inside because if the A/C isn't working properly there's very little you can do about it.

The same holds true for any cabin except verandah and lanai staterooms, doesn't it? Unless I'm mistaken, windows generally can't be opened.;)

Well said!

Veendam was our favourite ship,but until she is fixed once and for all it's 'bye 'bye.

Believe me 'having lived in Bermuda for eighteen years I can assure you it is HOT HOT HOT in July and August and part of September too.

The Weather channel's charts don't back up your statement..These averages are compiled over many years..

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/BDXX0001_f.html;_ylt=Ar_3K1fmTh2CRAvmKErdhceLYDIB?woeid=56803

Average High's & low's in St Georges Bermuda is:

June: 81.0 F & 73.0 F

July: 85.0 F & 77.0 F

Aug: 86.0 F & 78.0 F

Sep: 84.0 F & 76.0 F

Bermuda is being East of SC, can get hot in the summer months however it is not continuously hot as it is in Florida during those months..

On this site you can put in any month & get daily averages for every day of the month..

Temps in the mid 80's are not HOT HOT HOT...

Continuous Temps in the high 90's are HOT HOT HOT

I lived on LI, my entire life..Sure we had heat spells as they are having now, but they were not continuous for the entire summer months...

I agree that every one, not just those in inside/outside cabins should have sufficient Air Cond. however, as I stated before your idea of HOT may not be my idea of HOT & my idea of Cold, may not be your idea of Cold..No one has posted temps..

Those of us who are booked on the Veendam should take a thermometer with them & report back here exactly what the temp in their cabin was..Ours is an atomic one which is the most accurate..I'm going to do that next week..

cheers......:)Betty

Temps in the mid 80's are not HOT HOT HOT...

Continuous Temps in the high 90's are HOT HOT HOT

Let's not forget HUMIDITY!

We live in the desert and it gets H-O-T here. In the "OneTeens" isn't unusual although we've had a cool summer this year - we haven't hit 120 yet, and night-time lows in the low 90's.

In the Summer, we keep our A/C set at 78. With VERY dry air, generally 15 percent humidity and ceiling fans that's comfortable if you're SITTING... UNDER the fan. 3 feet off to the side makes a huge difference.

In a Humid atmosphere, 60-70 percent (Um, we're on an Ocean Going Vessel here, right? Water, water everywhere...) and 78 now feels like 85 or so, with no wind chill (i.e. ceiling fans) to help. Add the effort to shower, shave, put on your tuxedo for formal night, etc. Not pretty.

For most active adults, 74 seems to me to be an absolute MAXIMUM temperature for an A/C to be able to maintain in a stateroom for only a REASONABLE amount of comfort.

Just MHO.

Bring on the flames. I got chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers and got a taste for some Smores!

John,

Not singling you out, but really would like a response from you since you are the repository of all maritime knowledge ;)

JMHO, but HAL does not need to re-invent the air conditioning wheel.

A/C has been around for 100 years and shipboard for many generations.

IF HAL made a cost saving mistake of putting in linked "zones" when building the Veendam, then they are now reaping the benefits. And have no one to blame but themselves.

100+ story skyscrapers, condominiums, hotels, convention centers and massive stadiums and even private homes have mastered the art of air conditioning varying size (& height) spaces and providing for different temperatures in every climate on Earth decades ago.

*Could HAL/Seattle possibly be unaware of this?*

From my perspective HAL/Seattle is doing themselves a great disservice (with this and many other issues) in denying the TRUTH.

Perhaps they are in need of a 12 step program ?

Step 1 always being: Admit you have a problem.

A good reputation is a precious and fragile thing. And it takes a dozen positive reviews to overturn just one bad one.

The more the word spreads that this ship has problems AND that HAL is lying about it, (no there is no other word for their public & continuing denials), the harder it will be for HAL to repair their reputation.

And I'm not referring to the opinion of the cheerleaders on this board, but the general (non CC) public. Once their impression of HAL is set, good luck in changing it.

It is NOT about certain PAX leaving their verandah doors open. Because that would only point out again a basic system design flaw.

And "blame-the-customer" is counter productive buck passing at its worst.

It is my business opinion that HAL/Seattle is oblivious to the full & true cost of the continuing A/C problems on the Veendam, e.g. damage to reputation.

This is something the newly minted MBA bean counters will always be oblivious to. As in "show me the numbers".

Add all this to the Dry-dock/major re-fit when the known problems could/should have been attended to and the situation seems even more inexcusable !

It is also NOT about certain cabins or decks or public spaces, it IS about correcting the problem system-wide.

Once and for all !

Anxiously awaiting constructive replies.

r.

We live in the desert and it gets H-O-T here. In the "OneTeens" isn't unusual although we've had a cool summer this year - we haven't hit 120 yet, and night-time lows in the low 90's.

In the Summer, we keep our A/C set at 78. With VERY dry air, generally 15 percent humidity and ceiling fans that's comfortable if you're SITTING... UNDER the fan. 3 feet off to the side makes a huge difference.

In a Humid atmosphere, 60-70 percent (Um, we're on an Ocean Going Vessel here, right? Water, water everywhere...) and 78 now feels like 85 or so, with no wind chill (i.e. ceiling fans) to help. Add the effort to shower, shave, put on your tuxedo for formal night, etc. Not pretty.

For most active adults, 74 seems to me to be an absolute MAXIMUM temperature for an A/C to be able to maintain in a stateroom for only a REASONABLE amount of comfort.

Just MHO.

Bring on the flames. I got chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers and got a taste for some Smores!

Having lived in Phoenix and the lovely arid Sonoran desert for 8 years, I completely understand where you're coming from. I have also lived in the highly humid City of Dallas for 20 years. There is no comparison and those who haven't experienced the oppressive heat of a Phoenix summer really have no idea what they're talking about when they say "but, it's a dry heat." What a joke! A typical August day of 118 is HOT, no other way to describe it. We had a fan on our covered patio but turning it on only made it feel like a hairdryer blowing on us. Our pool felt like a bathtub by late June and was only refreshing in the bottom of the deep end....I don't own scuba gear. ;)

I always heard people say I'd get used to the Phoenix summers after my "blood thinned"....apparently it never did. I must be as thick blooded as I am headed. :)

I don't tolerate hot weather well, in fact, I don't tolerate it at all. My a/c is set at 71 during the day and 66 at night. Comfort trumps a huge electric bill in my house. :D

Having lived in Phoenix and the lovely arid Sonoran desert for 8 years, I completely understand where you're coming from. I have also lived in the highly humid City of Dallas for 20 years. There is no comparison and those who haven't experienced the oppressive heat of a Phoenix summer really have no idea what they're talking about when they say "but, it's a dry heat." What a joke! A typical August day of 118 is HOT, no other way to describe it.

Yes. "It's a dry heat" works OUTSIDE, in the shade up 'til about 105. After that all bets are off! ;) I'm amazed still, even being here 8 years, that a 300lb guy can work outside in the sun in 98 degree weather fairly comfortably if he just keeps drinking fluids. I tried that in Arkansas last fall in 78 degrees and just about killed myself.

We had a fan on our covered patio but turning it on only made it feel like a hairdryer blowing on us. Our pool felt like a bathtub by late June and was only refreshing in the bottom of the deep end....I don't own scuba gear. ;)

Hehehe. Kind of like the difference between baking in a regular oven, or a convection oven! Sometimes when those hot breezes blow it's better to be in out of them!

I was shocked... our little in ground pool used 8 lbs. of chlorine last week. Put in the thermometer and understood why... the water temperature had gone up 6 degrees, to 88 in only 4 days. This is in an unheated pool that only gets about 5 hours of sun a day.

I always heard people say I'd get used to the Phoenix summers after my "blood thinned"....apparently it never did. I must be as thick blooded as I am headed. :)

You know, I was born in Baton Rouge... moved to the Midwest when I was 11. I don't think I broke a sweat for 6-7 years... But living here, 40 years later, 200lb heavier, I think I'm going to attribute all my sweat here to being thick headed. ;) Um, thick blooded.

Just MHO.

You are only proving my point...I live in Florida right on the water & I lived on L.I. right on the Ocean in Long Beach..I know what Humidity is...However my post was not discussing cabin temps..I was discussing the posters definition of HOT HOT HOT.

The poster claims that Bermuda in Aug is always HOT HOT HOT, but that is not what the U.S. weather service averages state.. Temps in the mid 80's even with high humidity is not HOT HOT HOT..Temps in Fla in the high 90's & in Arizona at 110 plus is HOT HOT HOT..

You believe that your thermostat should be set at 78 & I completely agree with you...But others on this board want it much colder..When I posted on another thread that our cabin on another cruise was 64 degrees & I was cold, people thought I was nuts & I was flamed..

I keep saying that ones idea of Hot or Cold is subjective, just like tastes are subjective..

Not one person on this thread has posted an actual temp in their cabins..That is what I'm asking..We carry a thermometor with us..I completely agree that there is no excuse for the AC's not to work but HAL also needs facts..

How can one register a complaint & expect a company to re-imburse them without facts..

Facts in this case are what the Temperatures were in their cabins on a daily basis...In addition the OP has never come back to us with these facts or even said what HAL's offer was..I can't understand why one would trash a company without giving facts....

Now next week we'll be on the Veendam, but you can damn well be sure, that I'll know our cabin's temp & I'll be sure to come back & tell you all...

JMO...:)Betty

You are only proving my point...<SNIP!>You believe that your thermostat should be set at 78 & I completely agree with you...But others on this board want it much colder..

Well, I don't believe it, but can afford it. And that's in exceptional circumstances (VERY low humidity) and I'm paying the power bill. :)

I also said I thought 74 was the MAXIMUM temperature I thought was reasonable on a cruise ship in the summer.

Personally, I'd prefer 68, and since I'm paying the bill in full on a cruise ship, I'd PREFER to have it at that...but think that 74 is a reasonable, if not desirable temperature.

Sorry for the confusion. And yes, 74 is just an arbitrary number. I apologize for that too.

John,

Not singling you out, but really would like a response from you since you are the repository of all maritime knowledge ;)

JMHO, but HAL does not need to re-invent the air conditioning wheel.

A/C has been around for 100 years and shipboard for many generations.

IF HAL made a cost saving mistake of putting in linked "zones" when building the Veendam, then they are now reaping the benefits. And have no one to blame but themselves.

100+ story skyscrapers, condominiums, hotels, convention centers and massive stadiums and even private homes have mastered the art of air conditioning varying size (& height) spaces and providing for different temperatures in every climate on Earth decades ago.

*Could HAL/Seattle possibly be unaware of this?*

From my perspective HAL/Seattle is doing themselves a great disservice (with this and many other issues) in denying the TRUTH.

Perhaps they are in need of a 12 step program ?

Step 1 always being: Admit you have a problem.

A good reputation is a precious and fragile thing. And it takes a dozen positive reviews to overturn just one bad one.

The more the word spreads that this ship has problems AND that HAL is lying about it, (no there is no other word for their public & continuing denials), the harder it will be for HAL to repair their reputation.

And I'm not referring to the opinion of the cheerleaders on this board, but the general (non CC) public. Once their impression of HAL is set, good luck in changing it.

It is NOT about certain PAX leaving their verandah doors open. Because that would only point out again a basic system design flaw.

And "blame-the-customer" is counter productive buck passing at its worst.

It is my business opinion that HAL/Seattle is oblivious to the full & true cost of the continuing A/C problems on the Veendam, e.g. damage to reputation.

This is something the newly minted MBA bean counters will always be oblivious to. As in "show me the numbers".

Add all this to the Dry-dock/major re-fit when the known problems could/should have been attended to and the situation seems even more inexcusable !

It is also NOT about certain cabins or decks or public spaces, it IS about correcting the problem system-wide.

Once and for all !

Anxiously awaiting constructive replies.

r.

OK Ruel (sp, sorry), I'll bite and give it a try!;)

First of all, not having workable a/c in one's cabin on a modern cruise ship is a serious problem, granted and no argument from this side! When you turn up, or turn down, that box on your stateroom wall, you expect it to work!

Unless someone steps up to the plate and identifies him/herself as such, none of us here are air conditioning engineers. We don't know Adam about the mechanics of an a/c system, especially one onboard a cruise ship! How intricate is it, how susceptible to breakage, and what is involved in repairing it when it, or parts of it, go belly up.

There was a claim made here that the root of Veendam's "a/c problem" was caused by the lengthening of her butt in the Freeport dry-dock in May of last year. Something about "stretching" the existing a/c system in order for it to "cover" the new cabins on her stern. Makes sense? Picked out of a hat along with a rabbit? You be the judge; I don't have that expertese!

None of us here, with a few exceptions, work for HAL so none of us here have any clue how many times HAL's engineers are routinely forced to work on the ship's a/c system before, during or after a cruise, including the one on Veendam, because 3, 27, 691, or 1,266 cabins have no air. Is the a/c in the same cabin, or block of cabins, down continually? Every cruise? If that were the case, you would think Veendam's management, and you just know very rapidly, Seattle, would get flak every sunday when Veendam is back in New York City. You would think the occupiers of those cabins would eventually go public and, I don't mean on Cruise Critic. So how bad and continual really is this problem?

Veendam joined HAL in 1996 and last underwent a dry-dock from 02 April-01 May 09 (the infamous Retreat Pool/Lanai Cabins/Mix/Showroom at Sea, etc. refit). Before that, she was in dry-dock from 05-27 January 06 (SOE part 1), from 06-15 May 2004 (Neptune Lounge/Pinnacle Grill, etc.) and fom 03-11 September 2001 (standard maintenance). As you can see by that schedule, on the avg, HAL ships get taken 'out of the water' every two-three years for either regular standard maintenance & upkeep or upgrades, enhancements & new features.

We can be pretty sure that the 'powers to be' on Elliott Strasse in Seattle don't like bad publicity. If the a/c on a certain ship, say Veendam, breaks down on a continual basis, that, will cause bad publicity. Maybe I'm just naive, but if that goes on for several months, let alone for three years as some here claim, I'm thinking it will darn well be put on the agenda as a priority the next time that ship goes into dry-dock, so in May of last year! Never mind that, during that same dry-dock high profile projects like a Retreat wading pool, Lanai cabins, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah, are installed. You find the money, you get someone who knows shipboard a/c systems in and out, you fix the bloody problem, and you shut up the complainers......well, at least a percentage of them, maybe, because there is always "stuff" to complain about!;)

There are people here on CC who have come out and said they have cancelled their Veendam reservations, and will no longer sail Veendam in the future as a result of what they're reading here. Hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta do! Why take a chance if you're not comfortable? Pretty sure HAL does not like cancellations and especially not for the reasons given!

Back in 2006/2007 HAL did have a continual problem, and that was with one of the two azipods on Oosterdam which out of the blue quit working, not long after a scheduled dry-dock. They attempted repairs for almost three months; they sent divers down; nothing worked! So what did they do? They put her in an unscheduled dry-dock in Esquimalt, BC; they hauled out a spare azipod from Europe, and they installed that azipod, cancelling a cruise and taking that ship out of commission for eight days at the same time. Unhappy campers whose vacation just got cancelled? Did they lose money in the process? Did that unscheduled dry-dock, transporting a huge azipod, parts and labor etc. cost them beaucoup money? But they have done it!

Only time will tell what the future holds re: any a/c problems on Veendam!

Btw, we'll be her passengers in about a month! Should be interesting!;)

Btw, we'll be her passengers in about a month! Should be interesting!;)

John,

Thank you for the detailed reply, no one else has bitten.

My biggest point was that if it has been going on for as long as it has been reported here, then there must be something systemic.

And, kudos to HAL for absorbing the expense for the propulsion (azipod) repair.

Playing the Devil's advocate, one could think that A/C might be less critical than keeping a ship on schedule. Especially if the A/C problems only effect a % of the cabins.

I will certainly look forward to reading your report once you return.

If ever there were a trusted myth de-bunker . . . . .

If I lived further north, I'd probably be on her too. But from down here it makes no sense on her current trajectory.

Reuel

PS: Hardly anyone spells it correctly

Archived