Saying goodbye to Holland...Veendam A/C problems

karenj4546

Holland America's Hotel Service Charge explanation with my highlights: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Money+Matters&contentSubMenu=Hotel+Service+Charge

I would say that the OP got lousy service from the crew members in charge of her air-conditioning and that an adjustment of the hotel service charge is a reasonable last resort.

Karen did not get "lousy service" from the crew members. She got lousy service from HAL Corporate who sends a ship out with massive A/C problems. It's not that the crew were unwilling to fix it, but they are at the mercy of the condition of the A/C system. To blame them is so far off the charts that this post hardly merits a response except I'm worried someone will buy into what you're saying.

The question is....you want a result or not.....if everybody withholds tips for bad service/ experiences you will get a fast result.....letters do not get results....money talks.:rolleyes:

I only tip if the overall experience is acceptable it is not my job to analyze who did what or not....

If the staff puts pressure on HAL that is much more effective than writing useless letter.....

It is the staffs job to bring it to the attention of the management that this unbearable......not getting the tips they expect might focus them more on that.....................................

Not fair to tip on "overall experience". You tip your cabin steward for his service. You tip your dining room stewards for their service, etc., etc. The automatic charge is distributed to service workers around the ship and it is minimal.

HAL is not going to respond because you withhold tips from the crew. They are only going to respond if you withhold $$$ from HAL (which is why we should insist on a deduction off the cost of our cruise, not a shipboard credit).

Until it gets them in their pocketbook, apparently they are willing to sit on their hands, i.e., as long as there are bodies (doesn't matter whose) filling their ships, they don't care if they lose a passenger here and there.

Right now it's cost productive for them not to replace/fix the entire system on Veendam. It's about the bottom line, nothing more.

There are some of us who don't want any amount of OBC or $$. No offer would suffice for us....... all we want is the problem corrected and our cabin cooled. It isn't about money but rather is about our ability to enjoy our cruise. Skip the money - fix it!

They can't fix it. For years they've played with it and it's still not fixed. They sometimes are able to fix it for a couple of days in one cabin and if you're that person, lucky you. This is systemic and ongoing on the Veendam and HAL refuses to acknowledge same.

While some of us may have been lucky and gotten a repair, the rest of us were told that unfortunately there was nothing that could be done.

Why else, may I ask, would there be fans onboard?????:rolleyes:

Not fair to tip on "overall experience".......

But I do.....I believe in teams...and responsibility...:cool:

But then I do not believe in tips anyway.....:rolleyes:

Still think only pressure from employees can really change how HAL handles this......so removing the tip...will get them the message.....

Just think of it...how much heat HAL would get if every time the AC fails...50% of the passengers remove their tips....I am sure this problem would not have latest for years!

Seriously, book on Veendam at your own peril.

No amount of money will ever get me on the Veendam again and I'd think twice about booking one of her sister ships because the clock is probably ticking.

just curious: is that your final answer:confused:

what if the ante went up, let's say 14 days in the PH with all amenities included, would things change:)

just wondering how deep the heels are dug into the ground

never "again" is really a long time:eek:

Getting off a ship that is making you miserable isn't necessarily easy as it sounds and it certainly isn't cheap. Somehow you have to find a hotel room available and make your way to that hotel. Then you have to find a one way flight from whatever port you are in and buy the tickets home, and get to the airport. Between the time you get off the ship and get home you will probably need to eat. In our case when we were unhappy (on a different cruise line years ago) the additional expense would have been about $1000/per person to get home from Acapulco. We had budgeted for a cruise, but not an additional amount to escape from the ship. That ship’s personnel told us that there would be no compensation for our expenses once we left the ship. HAL may have a different policy, but I doubt that they actually reimburse people the cost of getting home.

what if the ante went up, let's say 14 days in the PH with all amenities included, would things change:)

You are so right. Never again is a very long time (well, not so much for me but for some;)). I will never again travel on the Veendam for a lot of reasons. Believe me, I'm very careful with my words and re-read and edit every post I make on this forum.

And as far as how deep my heels are dug in the ground? I don't think you can dig them any deeper.:D

Getting off a ship that is making you miserable isn't necessarily easy as it sounds and it certainly isn't cheap. Somehow you have to find a hotel room available and make your way to that hotel. Then you have to find a one way flight from whatever port you are in and buy the tickets home, and get to the airport. Between the time you get off the ship and get home you will probably need to eat. In our case when we were unhappy (on a different cruise line years ago) the additional expense would have been about $1000/per person to get home from Acapulco. We had budgeted for a cruise, but not an additional amount to escape from the ship. That ship’s personnel told us that there would be no compensation for our expenses once we left the ship. HAL may have a different policy, but I doubt that they actually reimburse people the cost of getting home.

Speaking for myself, the budget would not be the primary issue. We would not/could not stay in a totally unaircondtioned cabin in the Caribbean.

We would deal with the expenses as necessary. We've been fortunate to have done a great deal of travel and would be able to handle the logistics.

We would discuss re: refunds etc when we got home.

How does Hal stop the phones from ringing off the hook and receiving complaints from everyone and everybody?

Mr. Smith hears his neighbor got obc for bad A/C so he calls to get the same credit even though his air worked fine?

I hate to be the cynic but this happens.

I remember years ago when I did a little plumbing.

A development was getting 50 new toilets as part of a recall.

Guess what happened? The neighbors saw us pull up with new toilets word spread, then the whole development wanted a new toilet.

What started out as 50 toilets turned into over 500.

This could be the reason HAl is unable to dole out "cash" to every complaint about A/C . Where would it end? Would you get more money if you were cold versus hot?

As for taking the crews tips . This person will find any excuse , you know they ran out of coco pebbles after 2 days

just fill in the lame excuse etc.

Some people have integrity and just can't be bought, no matter how high the price.

I see you are from Swampscott -- nice city! Right up by Lynn, as I recall from my Massachusetts days. ;)

Oh, no point, it's just that my cousin lived in Lynn so I am familiar with the area!!!

:):):)

It's always nice to see a new poster from near somewhere I've lived!

I meant to add "Welcome, Ocean Traveler" - I haven't seen your other posts, so I am a little late on the Welcome Wagon! ;)

The OP received nothing. Onboard credit is worthless to a cruiser who is not taking another HAL cruise. Onboard credit is the first thing HAL offers and the last thing a cruiser should accept. How much does onboard credit cost HAL? Ask them the next time they offer you $500 in onboard credit. Will HAL give you $400 cash now instead? $300 now? $200 now?

She already received $440 off of her final bill & yes that is equal to cash!

I think OP got some OBC off her final bill for that cruise. HAL then offered additional OC for a future cruise.

Yes, she said they did!

Exactly. The easy acceptance by so many that anyone is being given something when they are offered OBC on a future cruise is ludicrous. The cruise that had the problem is the issue and getting a pittance off your onboard account if and only if you are willing to pay thousands more for another cruise is insane. HAL is laughing all the way to the bank. No wonder that don't spend what they need to to fix the 'dam problem. Write all the letters you wish. Until HAL is hit in the pocketbook nothing will change.

Would anybody here deal with a company who sells you a defective product and then insists you buy another at full price in order to get a tiny refund on the first product? It's laughable.

What is TINY about a $440 OBC..:confused: Sail is correct, the OP accepted $440 on board her cruise & used it to reduce their final bill..If she was not happy with that she could have refused it & filed a claim for more with HAL Seattle..

Below I'm quoting the last sentence in the OP's post No. 199 on page 10..

Our total, not including airfare, hotel, and the other cabin (which my FIL said was too cold) was well over $6,000. If you folks think that $640 is just compensation, go for it and cruise on this ship.... Unquote

Since, most Bermuda cruises are booked for this summer,I did a search for a "D" cabin for July 3, 2011...According to her original post she was in either 406,408.410 or 416...

I specifically requested cabin D 406 & it priced out on the HAL WEB site for July 3, 2011 at $1805.05 per person which includes taxes, transfers, & HAL's Insurance.. Total for two would be $3610.10,.. Therefore,we have to assume that the $6,000 includes not only the $3610 but also their final bill, for purchases out side of their basic cabin price..Those extra's could include but not be limited to, The Hotel Service charge, drinks & wine, shore excursions, Pinnacle, gifts, spas, beauty parlor, bingo, additional tips etc..

Now the basic price of that cabin should have been about $1527 each or $3054 for two..20% of that is:

$610..They have already give her $440..

We actually don't know what the OP would deem to be fair or is she asking for more compensation based on their total bill? If that is the case,do you believe that is fair?

Cheers....:)Betty

I don't understand what accepting a PH on the Veendam for free has to do with ones "integrity"?

Well, this is how I read it.

1. Someone said she would not go on the Veendam every again.

2. Then someone challenged her resolve but suggesting if the ante were upped, and she were offered the penthouse suite, would it change her mind? That poster wondered of the other person had her heels dug into the ground, and just how deeply.

3. The person responded to the challenge by saying her heels were dug about as deeply into the ground as possible. She reiterated that she would never again sail on the Veendam.

Throw what you want at her - penthouse, dinner with officers every night, hanging with the Captain - and she won't back down from her stand that she will not sail on the ship.

So to me, the person is showing integrity.

[Definition: Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.]

:)

But I do.....I believe in teams...and responsibility...:cool:

But then I do not believe in tips anyway.....:rolleyes:

Still think only pressure from employees can really change how HAL handles this......so removing the tip...will get them the message.....

Just think of it...how much heat HAL would get if every time the AC fails...50% of the passengers remove their tips....I am sure this problem would not have latest for years!

How much pressure do you think their employees could apply? If my employer was doing something I didn't agree with I've got 2 choices.....shut up or leave. Jobs aren't a dime a dozen and to punish the crew must be close to the strangest thing I've heard on these boards.

That was me and thank you, Oceanwench, that is exactly it.

I was thinking the same!

Why? Why are you concerned whether I would cruise Veendam again or not? And if I have chosen not to, why would a hypothetical like being offered a suite, all perks included, make it any more appealing? A big hot cabin is no better than a little hot cabin as far as I'm concerned.

The post questionning my honesty was snarky ... nothing more. Lucky for me, I'm used to snarky:D.

I don't understand what accepting a PH on the Veendam for free has to do with ones "integrity"?

It doesn't. But the insinuation was that it does. There was no reason in the world to even ask. My post stating that fact is quite a way back ... no reason to bring it up at all.

This is getting about as ridiculous as it can get. A relatively new poster arrived on the thread from out of the blue and after reading it apparently was left with only one question in her/his mind ... that perhaps I was stretching the truth when I said I will never again cruise on the Veendam.

When you consider all the posts here blasting the problems with the A/C on Veendam, why that poster decided to personally single out that particular post of mine is anyone's guess:rolleyes: .

The issue is not whether I'll cruise on the Veendam again (I won't) because nobody here cares; the issue is an ongoing, systemic A/C problem on the Veendam and the fact that HAL Corporate cannot, or will not, acknowledge that fact or make allowances when someones vacation is affected.

Finally .... an onboard credit is NOT the same as cash. We spend a very small amount onboard. If we were issued $440 credit, we'd be hard put to come up with what to spend it on.

Cash is cash. A credit on money that has not been spent is not credit for what we were promised when we booked. The OP should receive a credit on the amount she paid for the cruise.

She already received $440 off of her final bill & yes that is equal to cash!

Yes, she said they did!

[/b]

What is TINY about a $440 OBC..:confused: Sail is correct, the OP accepted $440 on board her cruise & used it to reduce their final bill..If she was not happy with that she could have refused it & filed a claim for more with HAL Seattle..

Below I'm quoting the last sentence in the OP's post No. 199 on page 10..

Our total, not including airfare, hotel, and the other cabin (which my FIL said was too cold) was well over $6,000. If you folks think that $640 is just compensation, go for it and cruise on this ship.... Unquote

Since, most Bermuda cruises are booked for this summer,I did a search for a "D" cabin for July 3, 2011...According to her original post she was in either 406,408.410 or 416...

I specifically requested cabin D 406 & it priced out on the HAL WEB site for July 3, 2011 at $1805.05 per person which includes taxes, transfers, & HAL's Insurance.. Total for two would be $3610.10,.. Therefore,we have to assume that the $6,000 includes not only the $3610 but also their final bill, for purchases out side of their basic cabin price..Those extra's could include but not be limited to, The Hotel Service charge, drinks & wine, shore excursions, Pinnacle, gifts, spas, beauty parlor, bingo, additional tips etc..

Now the basic price of that cabin should have been about $1527 each or $3054 for two..20% of that is:

$610..They have already give her $440..

We actually don't know what the OP would deem to be fair or is she asking for more compensation based on their total bill? If that is the case,do you believe that is fair?

Cheers....:)Betty

Betty,

Karen later stated the amount that was given was for two staterooms (ie. 4 people) and 20% of 4 nights. She also states issue was for entire cruise, so I'm not sure where the disconnect was with the onboard staff and Seattle and OP, but guess at the time the $440.00 (was that $110.00pp?) was accepted they thought the matter was resolved and was perhaps 4 nights into the cruise. I am speculating of course.

Maybe OP could get the future OBC amount to equal all 7 nights as a compromise with HAL, but again that assumes they are willing to get back on (another) HAL ship.

Based on the numbers presented their cruise fare before tax/port fees was $962.50pp. $962.50/7 nights =$137.50/5 (to get 20% per day) = $27.50 x 4 days = $110.00. $110.0 x 4 passengers = $440.00.

I'm still not sure what Karen believes is fair, I know she wants cash, but how much?

How much pressure do you think their employees could apply? If my employer was doing something I didn't agree with I've got 2 choices.....shut up or leave. Jobs aren't a dime a dozen and to punish the crew must be close to the strangest thing I've heard on these boards.

You are so right - on all counts.

Or the meanest - punishing someone for something they have no control over.

That was me and thank you, Oceanwench, that is exactly it.

Why? Why are you concerned whether I would cruise Veendam again or not? And if I have chosen not to, why would a hypothetical like being offered a suite, all perks included, make it any more appealing? A big hot cabin is no better than a little hot cabin as far as I'm concerned.

The post questionning my honesty was snarky ... nothing more. Lucky for me, I'm used to snarky:D.

It doesn't. But the insinuation was that it does. There was no reason in the world to even ask. My post stating that fact is quite a way back ... no reason to bring it up at all.

This is getting about as ridiculous as it can get. A relatively new poster arrived on the thread from out of the blue and after reading it apparently was left with only one question in her/his mind ... that perhaps I was stretching the truth when I said I will never again cruise on the Veendam.

When you consider all the posts here blasting the problems with the A/C on Veendam, why that poster decided to personally single out that particular post of mine is anyone's guess:rolleyes: .

The issue is not whether I'll cruise on the Veendam again (I won't) .

Heather, I don't even understand your response to me because my post was not even directed at you. And, no, I could care less if you cruise on Veendam again. Right now she is our favorite HAL ship, and we would accept a free PH on her, and response, "I was thinking the same" was to person who posted the hypothetical and meant I was thinking that I would indeed accept a free cruise on Veendam in the PH Suite. There was nothing else implied in my post, and it wasn't even to you. So, no idea why you are giving me the "rolled eyes" as your post appears to do.

WOW, this thread is amazing. I'm with Jade.

However, I do agree if the OP doesn't think the offer reasonable then that is her choice and should be respected.

But HAL is probably making a standard business decision.

I'm guessing that there is limited proof either way about the ac in the cabin. The OP says aboslutely no ac, I'm not sure what HALS employees reported. The old adage about three versions with the last being the truth.......

I sincerely wish the OP all the best with her family and her travels. I've been in the same situation where I just voted with my dollars and my feet and moved on.

Archived