St. Kitt's Railway Tour not offered

Sailing Grandma

We will be on the Celebrity Summit stopping at St. Kitt's in Feb. 2011 and were looking forward to taking the Railway tour. Last week Celebrity posted its tours for St. Kitt's and the Railway is not listed among the tours.

Since the cruise is still 6 months away, do you think they might add it at a later date?

Can someone recommend another tour that will give us the same island overview as the railway.

Thanks for your help.

We were just there this past February on the Solstice. We loved it!

I can't offer any help about the train, but we did a ship excursion called something like Plantation Tour - Behind the Scenes. They took us out on these converted jeep/truck vehicles and we got to see the real island. The tour guide we had (and owner of the tour company) was very proud of his island and did a great job sharing it's history and beauty (and his driving was perfect!) We even got to sample some local fruit and homemade bread and drinks.

Have fun whatever you end up doing!

I was in St. Kitts in April sailing on the Equinox. I had attempted to set up an independent trip on the train and learned that their contract with the cruiseline prohibits them from offering the tour to cruiseship passengers. It was offered as a shore excursion in April.

That's really interesting. I'm disappointed. Just a couple of weeks ago I started looking at the excursions for our Equinox April sailing and the rail tour was listed. In fact, 2 different ones were listed: KT39...Caribbean Scenic Rail and Sail and KT15..Caribbean Scenic Rail.

We really wanted to do this. Will look into the link posted. Thanks

I was in St. Kitts in April sailing on the Equinox. I had attempted to set up an independent trip on the train and learned that their contract with the cruiseline prohibits them from offering the tour to cruiseship passengers. It was offered as a shore excursion in April.

I noticed this, too, and as a railfan I was disappointed. If the cruise line previously had a contract with the railroad not to offer it to passengers as a private charter but only as a shorex, and if it's not now being offered as a shorex, it could be that their contract has lapsed, so they should now be able to book it as a private charter. Perhaps they're renegotiating the contract, and it will appear again as a shorex option at a later date. I have heard that the trip is relatively expensive and may not be worth it, but it would be nice to consider the option.

Sailing Grandma, are you on the 2/5 sailing, or the 2/19 sailing? If 2/5, I invite you to come join our roll call--

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1158107&highlight=

Otherwise, here's the one for 2/19, if you're interested--

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1153221&highlight=

I did the train tour a few years ago as a shore excursion while sailing on the Constellation. We enjoyed it a great deal, but it is expensive and I'm not sure it was worth the high price. It is a beautiful island and you must tour it in some fashion....don't just wander around the shopping area. You'll be missing a lot.

Thanks, everyone, for your answers. I am hoping that Celebrity is renegotiating a contract and that it will be offered when it gets closer to cruise time. If not, we may look into the Plantation Tour that Peanutter mentioned.

PartyAllDaTyme, we are on the Feb.5th sailing. I will have to look into the roll call - thanks.

We did this tour in February and felt it was a ripoff. It was very expensive for what you got. The drinks were awful until we asked for bottled water. But even that would not have been a problem for us.

The bathroom on the train had NO water either to flush or to wash hands. We felt this was a HUGE issue, especially considering the problems the cruiselines have with noro. As we were getting off the train, another group was getting on the train. There had obviously been no water when we boarded and nothing was being done for the next passengers either.

In addition, halfway through the trip they turned off the AC (one of our group saw them do this) in the lower portion of the train (upper part is open air) and it was a very hot day. After complaints from passengers, it was turned back on.

At the end of the train trip, we went on a van to show us more of the island and then take us back to the ship. That part of the tour and the driver/tourguide was far superior to the train.

The three of us wrote =X= complaining about the problems with this excursion as we did not feel it came up to the standards you would expect from a ship-sanctioned excursion.

I would think that a van tour would be able to get you to most of the things we saw on the train and would be more comfortable and healthier.

Doris

It's possible Celebrity doesn't offer this tour for safety reasons. We have never done this tour but a few years ago our departure from St. Kitts was held up for over four hours while a group tour was rescued when the railway infrastructure was swept away during a terrible rainstorm and they were finally returned to the ship via bus. The passengers we spoke with said they were really frightened and would not recommend this tour. Check the Ports of Call board and do a search as I believe there have been other issues. If that is indeed the problem you definitely wouldn't want to do this on an independent tour basis and possibly miss your ship departure.

I recall several years ago reading a review of RR echoing STXs remarks. I am sure thats why its not offered. I noted then it was quite pricey.Book it on your own, just being aware of problems. Sounds like my Amtrak journey.

We did this tour in February and felt it was a ripoff. It was very expensive for what you got. The drinks were awful until we asked for bottled water. But even that would not have been a problem for us.

The bathroom on the train had NO water either to flush or to wash hands. We felt this was a HUGE issue, especially considering the problems the cruiselines have with noro. As we were getting off the train, another group was getting on the train. There had obviously been no water when we boarded and nothing was being done for the next passengers either.

In addition, halfway through the trip they turned off the AC (one of our group saw them do this) in the lower portion of the train (upper part is open air) and it was a very hot day. After complaints from passengers, it was turned back on.

At the end of the train trip, we went on a van to show us more of the island and then take us back to the ship. That part of the tour and the driver/tourguide was far superior to the train.

The three of us wrote =X= complaining about the problems with this excursion as we did not feel it came up to the standards you would expect from a ship-sanctioned excursion.

I would think that a van tour would be able to get you to most of the things we saw on the train and would be more comfortable and healthier.

Doris

I completely agree! My wife loves trains and we were looking forward

to the excursion. The cost was $100 each and the vast majority of what

we saw was mud, rocks and weeds. Maybe Celebrity realized how awful

the excursion was and deleted it from their offerings to save its passengers

from being ripped off.

I think the problem might be that they haven't listed all tours as yet. We're booked in January and were able to purchase one but the ones I really want aren't available now. Possibly in the next few weeks they might pop up. I think they're still getting their act together. For instance, I see one was just added yesterday to an island -- it wasn't there the day before. Keep checking. I am.:)

DW and I along with some other CC-ers on RCI Serenade of the Seas booked an island tour with Thenford Grey's Island Tour. You can view this on his web site and email him for a reservation. He took us around the island in his air conditioned van and took us to highlights such as Brimstone Hill Fortress, the Batiq factory and Sir Timothy's Hill ending with a dip in the ocean.

Mr. Grey is extremely knowledgable and well spoken and you will learn and see a lot at a resonable price - a lot less than what the railway wants.

Plus the railway does not go completely around the island - you have to board a bus to complete the route.

Having done both I would agree that an island tour such as Thenford Grey's is much better than the train. Our group thought the train was one of the worst tours ever. We called it the goat tour because all we saw was sugar cane, goats and a bit of laundry hung out behind some the islander's homes. The company was good, so we enjoyed ourselves, but it sure wasn't the tour.;)

We did the railroad tour last December and enjoyed it immensely. The trip includes the rr ride and a bus tour around the island arriving back at the pier. The trick is to go up on top in the open air; even on a hot day the breeze cools you off.

Some pictures -

Loading up

2623145500096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The best thing about riding on top, aside from the superior viewing platform of the open top level over the closed in lower level, is that people were getting up, stretching their legs and moving from side to side to catch the best views of the changing scenery. Imagine going thru the Panama Canal in a non-balcony oceanview vs going up to the top pool level for the transit.

one of the many bays we passed - no road here at all, just the train -

2704558710096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Symbiotic relationship of these birds and cows, just as the narrator described it -

2958387650096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

entering the forest -

2849820970096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Tight turn on the 30 inch (not 12 inches) narrow gauge -

2410060440096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Abandoned sugar mill -

2099745460096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

When I was there, we considered the train tour WAY too expensive. We did a tour in a van (can't remember if SE or on our own) and had a wonderful time. It is a beautiful island and must be seen to be appreciated. Particularly loved visiting the batik factory - beautiful grounds and lovely batik items for sale (well made and well priced)

For those who have done both the railway and a bus tour (not the one done together). Can you compare the stops and view from both tours?

We're considering the railway on our own, but now a little worried. I'd like to see as much of the island as we can. Will a typical bus tour do that?

I completely agree! My wife loves trains and we were looking forward

to the excursion. The cost was $100 each and the vast majority of what

we saw was mud, rocks and weeds. Maybe Celebrity realized how awful

the excursion was and deleted it from their offerings to save its passengers

from being ripped off.

While I am sure that the train ride has been enjoyed by many. I agree with you. While St. Kitts is a beautiful, lush island, what you see from the train is not the greatest scenery. And, it was painfully slow! We also had no water. No one mentioned the entertainment, a local (and not very talented) group of 4 singers were on our tour. The van ride after the train ride? If I had wanted to see where the islands schools and the employment and government offices were I could have probably looked at a local map....boring. After this experience our next visits to St. Kitts included beaches and Nevis...much more to our liking. :D

We called it the goat tour because all we saw was sugar cane, goats and a bit of laundry hung out behind some the islander's homes.

When I was there, we considered the train tour WAY too expensive.

This is my concern, too. Far too expensive, not much to see. Compare with the Agawa River Canyon train in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan-- $73 per person for an all day trip through gorgeous scenery. Too bad the big cruise ships can't get through the St. Lawrence Seaway locks.

As I mentioned, I'm a railfan. Trains are my first love, and any excuse to take a train ride is a good one. Still, I'm shying away from this. Maybe the next time we're in St. Kitts.

The best tour of the island is by Royston Tours. You can look it up via Google. We did a tour with him and with 12 folks in air conditioned van, including snacks and a 5 hour tour was only $25 per person. The best tour we have had in cruising 15 years in the Caribbean.

Archived