Those awful SA suites

Cruise Organizer

Sarcasm or jokes can be lost in written form, especially when there were recent threads about how terrible it really can be to have four in a room.

Try adding a smile or something :-) to indicate the joke.

igraf

Just got back from a 12 day European cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. There were 4 of us in the SA suite.

It was just terrible.

your title had me all upset for about 10 seconds. I stayed in one of those suites in April with my DD and GD,only because i figured we needed the extra room with 3 adult women. During the cruise i booked another for my DH and i for our 50th anniversary next summer. He is sure going to get a surprise when we get to the hip and sees our room. It's going to be hard to go back to just a room with a veranda after. Oh well, a 50th Anniversary doesn't come around every day. Helen.

My wife's first cruise was in a B category cabin on the Ryndam. Starting that high, relatively speaking, set the bar and subsequently we've booked mostly S category, one SS and another B. Since Mrs. K still works we can only get away for one cruise a year so we make the most of that. Obviously we prefer the full suite and have gotten to the point where if one isn't available we'll probably not book that cruise unless it's an unusually good offer for a lower category or it's a unique itinerary that really catches our attention. No doubt we are lucky to have the resources, health, and time to take cruises.

Bride and I love the SA.

Love the goodies that come with it, assuming HAL delivers.

Love the size.

You get a different colored spending card.

The Neptune is our home.

Bride and I once discussed, if we were offered an upgrade to the PH would we take it? Our answer was, NO. (well maybe)

It is like crack.

Having people in before dinner is awesome. hot and cold munchies to die for. Pretty much anything you want to drink will be delivered.

It's a must have

Gramps

We are addicted too.... unfortunately, with the suite life, we can't cruise as frequently, only when a special comes our way. Our first suite experience was 2006... have been wanting to cruise since, but couldn't bring ourselves to go W/Out the Neptune lounge and the other suite perks.

As for the kids, we are taking our kids again (teens)... all we had to pay for them was the taxes and port charges. Suite Deal!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Bride and I love the SA.

Love the goodies that come with it, assuming HAL delivers.

Love the size.

You get a different colored spending card.

The Neptune is our home.

Bride and I once discussed, if we were offered an upgrade to the PH would we take it? Our answer was, NO. (well maybe)

It is like crack.

Having people in before dinner is awesome. hot and cold munchies to die for. Pretty much anything you want to drink will be delivered.

It's a must have

Gramps

Never, ever turn down an upsell to the Penthouse if the price is right. We got it last cruise and I have to say it was quite the experience.

SA is great and we are lucky to have it and no, I wouldn't pay full price for the PH (unless I win the lottery), but if you get an offer you can't refuse, don't. It's a once in a life time experience. :):) However, I calculate it only happens once in a lifetime as most times they are booked so if it does happen, grab the rainbow and hang on and just prepared to 'go back' to SA again. Oh, but the suite life is rough. suites rule :D:D

DH and I got one of those "dam' upsells in 2008 and have been hooked ever since. The wonderful concierge service in the Neptune Lounge, the free laundry/dry cleaning and the separate dressing area are the main selling points for us. I don't think I would ever dare take an upsell to the PH suite - DH would never forgive me! Besides, I'd probably never get that lucky anyway. Our great cabin steward on board the Westerdam gave us a quick peek inside the PH suite on our last cruise, and DH said, "Don't get any ideas.....!" ;) :) It really looked fabulous, tho.....

We just experienced our first deluxe suite on the Rotterdam and it was wonderful (I affectionately started calling our cabin the "double-wide"). I second all that's been said.

I'll also put in a plug for the priority check-in counter for deluxe and penthouse suites. That was another great perk in Seattle. We had two cocktail parties and the captain attended both. Very nice intimate breakfasts in the Kings Room. Also had a full-size umbrella and pair of binoculars which came in handy in Alaska. We were two doors down from the Neptune and we loved the coffee machine.

We just experienced our first deluxe suite on the Rotterdam and it was wonderful (I affectionately started calling our cabin the "double-wide"). I second all that's been said.

I'll also put in a plug for the priority check-in counter for deluxe and penthouse suites. That was another great perk in Seattle. We had two cocktail parties and the captain attended both. Very nice intimate breakfasts in the Kings Room. Also had a full-size umbrella and pair of binoculars which came in handy in Alaska. We were two doors down from the Neptune and we loved the coffee machine.

now don't spoil everyone. :) The Rotterdam was our first deluxe too and is a whole new kettle of fish. Those rooms are larger than others. I personally love the king's room and all the stuff. But I love the Rotterdam.

The other suites are great but they are not the same, still great trust me, but no where near what the Rotterdam offers IMO. :):) My fave.

Wouldn't it have been better to have two smaller cabins for four people? That way you have two bathrooms and privacy? Or was it 2 adults with 2 children?

or you could just get the penthouse. separate rooms, two 1/2 baths plus a separate bath tub and shower:) Yes, it's true, i am evil:p:p

now don't spoil everyone. :) The Rotterdam was our first deluxe too and is a whole new kettle of fish. Those rooms are larger than others. I personally love the king's room and all the stuff. But I love the Rotterdam.

The other suites are great but they are not the same, still great trust me, but no where near what the Rotterdam offers IMO. :):) My fave.

Yowza!!! We have a deluxe booked on the Rotterdam for a Baltic in Sept.2011. This is our first experience with a deluxe; had a verandah on the Volendam in AK last year. Three adults this time, so sought the deluxe for the extra space and amenities.

Marilyn

We usually booked oceanview or balcony, but discovered it was often too cold or windy to use the balcony. One year, we went on a 7 day cruise to New England / Canada to visit our DD; we thought it was very expensive, so we chose an INSIDE cabin for $1299...and it did nothing to diminish our enjoyment of the cruise! ;) (BTW, we will be on a 13 day/ OCEAN VIEW for $1549 Fort Lauderdale to Montreal next spring.) Since then, we have been cruising 3-4 times a year, and often book an inside guarantee. Once, we were upgraded 7 levels to a mid-ship oceanview.:) It was, however, a REALLY GOOD IDEA for cruising to Alaska when an inside cabin allowed us to sleep; I have many beautiful photos of "sunset" at 10:30 or 11 PM.:eek:

So now, due to great prices and needing double points to make us **** by the end of 2011, we will be sailing SY, our first (real) suite. We will be on a transatlantic from Venice, and all those sea days should be very relaxing in our suite (should we choose to spend our time there...). It is a guarantee, of course, so who knows...?

We usually booked oceanview or balcony, but discovered it was often too cold or windy to use the balcony. One year, we went on a 7 day cruise to New England / Canada to visit our DD; we thought it was very expensive, so we chose an INSIDE cabin for $1299...and it did nothing to diminish our enjoyment of the cruise! (BTW, we will be on a 13 day/ OCEAN VIEW for $1549 Fort Lauderdale to Montreal next spring.) Since then, we have been cruising 3-4 times a year, and often book an inside guarantee. Once, we were upgraded 7 levels to a mid-ship oceanview. It was, however, a REALLY GOOD IDEA for cruising to Alaska when an inside cabin allowed us to sleep; I have many beautiful photos of "sunset" at 10:30 or 11 PM.:eek:

So now, due to great prices and needing double points to make us **** by the end of 2011, we will be sailing SY, our first (real) suite. We will be on a transatlantic from Venice, and all those sea days should be very relaxing in our suite (should we choose to spend our time there...). It is a guarantee, of course, so who knows...?

Definitely, on a transatlantic you have to have at least an SY and nothing wrong with an SY guarantee, believe me. If you choose to spend time in your suite? You won't be able to resist the verandah in the early mornings or when you just want to read a book or whatever.

Worst thing that can happen is that you get upgraded. :)

Are you doing the 32 day from Venice and when? I love Venice and I love the transatlantic after all those hectic port days. Have a great cruise and enjoy your suite :) and if you get an upsell offer to the Deluxe Verandah (as long as it is reasonable), go for it!!:):) suites rule:D

I have been in a HAL SY suite in the past which was very nice. A large two room Owners Suite on NCL, and a Sky Suite on Celebrity Jan. 2008. Those were wonderful cruises. There have been several inside, OV, and balcony cruises, also. We had a very special butler on Celebrity who delivered a complete breakfast to our room each morning and once a complete dinner from the dining room. He spoiled us every day.

In 13 days I'll be cruising in an inside cabin and in six months inside again. I think I'll look for a "suite" deal on "O" in between these 2 cruises.

Just got back from a 12 day European cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. There were 4 of us in the SA suite.

It was just terrible.

We got a bottle of wine in the room.

Attended a special cocktail party

Had laundry done for free

Had plenty of room and a large balcony

Pampered in the Neptune Lounge - all the goodies and the best coffee on board. Attentive and personal service

Free hot and cold appertizers every night (more food)

The cruise was going great, until I heard those words, "These suites are wonderful, we should only book them from now on".

Dam you HAL, now I am stuck staying in those wonderful suites.

Yes, we did book another cruise on board (in the Neptune Lounge) and we did book the SA suites.

I have a question re: te Neptune Lounge. Do they serve wine and booze??

I have a question re: te Neptune Lounge. Do they serve wine and booze??

No, they do not. Other than the special 'suite receptions' there is none. Instead, they serve continental breakfast, munchies all day including horse's derves (kidding,) all day changing from lunch to dinner time, coffee machine that serves absolutely everything from coffee to latte to exresso, cappuchino, etc. concierge there to assist you. lap top if you bought the internet package and anything else they can do for you (dvd rental, whatever)

I'm sat at work on a night shift at the moment dreaming about my cruise in a months time, and my first ever suite...... so excited! :o

We went for a SC because I thought it would be good to have the extra outside space of the large aft verandah with the loungers on. Plus if I want nibbles from the Neptune then I should at least have to take the stairs up there to get them!

I too made the mistake of surprising the family, on a Carnival Cruise two years ago, with a suite. They're hooked now and don't want to cruise any other way.

Now we're booked on HAL's Noordam on a 10 day Western Med. cruise next June. We chose an SB suite over an SA becuase my daughter talked us into one of those large wrap around aft balconies! It's something she's always wanted to try.

FELLOW CRUISERS: If you can't afford an SA, don't worry. You'll still enjoy your cruise. I spent 15 years cruising inside cabins and loving life! I could still book an inside cabin and have a wonderful cruise (and save tons of money). I'd just be doing it alone. The rest of my family would be in the Neptune Lounge laughing and gigling about how blessed we are to be able to afford one of those darned suites!! :)

Archived