Very Sad News

LauraS

• Administrators

Hello Everyone:

It is with great sadness that I share with you that our Host Karen (former member OllieKL) has passed away from a very rare form of cancer.

I want you all to know that Karen was one in a million. Although she's been ill for awhile, she felt that focusing on her forums and you all was something she wanted to keep doing for as long as she could.

She told me that Cruise Critic has been invaluable in planning for her cruises, but mostly that it had added immeasurably to her cruising experience especially with regard to the terrific friends she'd made all over the country and the world through the Meet N Mingle and Connections boards as well as working with her fellow hosts. I'm grateful and happy that I was able to sail with Karen and her wonderful husband on a short Liberty of the Seas sailing a few years back. I will remember those days fondly.

In her last email to me, she shared something that I'd like to share with all of you:

"Keep up the good work, my friends. And on your next cruise, take a few minutes late at night as far from a light source as possible, and I will send you a wink and wishes for smooth seas from my star way up in the midnight sky."......Host Karen

Laura

It is so appropriate that my wife and I are sailing Saturday with Radio, Meg and some other new CC friends. I think I will try to get them on deck Saturday night to wink back.

Rest In Peace Karen and thanks for all you have done

Laura, I am very sad to read this news tonight. My sincere condolences to Karen's family and to all her friends.

I emailed back and fro with Karen over the years about different things and I have to say she was a funny and very caring lady who really loved being here on CC.

Hello Everyone:

It is with great sadness that I share with you that our Host Karen (former member OllieKL) has passed away from a very rare form of cancer.

I want you all to know that Karen was one in a million. Although she's been ill for awhile, she felt that focusing on her forums and you all was something she wanted to keep doing for as long as she could.

She told me that Cruise Critic has been invaluable in planning for her cruises, but mostly that it had added immeasurably to her cruising experience especially with regard to the terrific friends she'd made all over the country and the world through the Meet N Mingle and Connections boards as well as working with her fellow hosts. I'm grateful and happy that I was able to sail with Karen and her wonderful husband on a short Liberty of the Seas sailing a few years back. I will remember those days fondly.

In her last email to me, she shared something that I'd like to share with all of you:

"Keep up the good work, my friends. And on your next cruise, take a few minutes late at night as far from a light source as possible, and I will send you a wink and wishes for smooth seas from my star way up in the midnight sky."......Host Karen

Laura

OMG, Laura, I am so sorry to hear about Karen. If you remember, we met her and her lovely husband on the Liberty pre-inaugural three years ago. At that time her husband told my brother about her illness, however, it was supposed to be in remission. Please pass along the deepest sympathies from me and my family.

• Administrators
It is so appropriate that my wife and I are sailing Saturday with Radio, Meg and some other new CC friends. I think I will try to get them on deck Saturday night to wink back.

Rest In Peace Karen and thanks for all you have done

That's wonderful Ken! Thanks,

Laura

• Administrators
OMG, Laura, I am so sorry to hear about Karen. If you remember, we met her and her lovely husband on the Liberty pre-inaugural three years ago. At that time her husband told my brother about her illness, however, it was supposed to be in remission. Please pass along the deepest sympathies from me and my family.

I know, Nan, we were ever hopeful. I will share this thread with her family.

Laura

I never met Karen, but conversed with her here several times. Why in life do we always lose the good ones early?

Our heartfelt sympathies to her family and friends. I will miss her here on CC....

-------------------------

Hobiecat01

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

That is such sad news. I never met or conversed with Karen, but her name was familiar to me due to all the reading I do here. I was touched by her last email to you, Laura, to the point where I have tears in my eyes. I volunteer on another online board, unrelated to cruising but with a similar (if smaller) sense of community, and realize how much work she must have put in to keep things running well. I will try to remember to do as she mentioned on my next cruise, appropriately on Liberty of the Seas.

Hello everyone:

I "discovered" cruise critics in 2004, doing some research for our first Med cruise. I found my "roll call" and I met Karen, we clicked, became great friends and had the best cruise ever, where we shared some private tours. Karen was the best friend and I'm heart broken, I'm going to miss her so much. Karen battled this cancer like no one else could. Now she is dancing and cruising in heaven, cancer free. God bless her and her beloved husband Ed.

Archived