Questions from a newbie on menus/dining, in-room entertainment & toiletries

VioletHill

My ship is Adventure of the Seas/Eastern Med.

Toiletries: I saw one poster's photos showing a selection of hotel sized toiletries in their bath. It was JS. Do all cabins have this? I have a Superior OV Balcony (1 catagory below the JS) Will I get these things? or should I bring a week's worth? Becuase of the int'l flight, packing space is at a huge premium and leaving shampoo, lotion, conditioner at home would be huge - even a week's worth.

Are there movies/tv programs available in the rooms? Any tv shows or just re-runs of ship entertainment and infomercials? The one cruise I took several years ago had nothing but 10 year old sitcoms, a bridge cam and adverts/sales pitches for ship's paid activites and services. (Before you tell me to get out of my cabin or that I will never be in it, please know that I do not eat in the dining room and like to relax on my own in the evening with the exception of a very special show - part of the reason I spring for the balcony)

I will be ordering room service. I understand I can get anything offered in the dining room. How do you know what is being offered each evening? Do they supply menus for the alternative restaurants like the cafe, Windjammer, etc. in the room? On the Baltic cruise we had to visit each dining area during the day for a posted menu for the evening before we made our choice.

Thanks so much. Anyone who has been on this ship for the Med route would be a great help!!

I'm sure people will correct me if I am wrong:D but anything below a JR suite does not have toiletries. There is a combination shampoo/body wash in the shower and you do get a bar of soap but that's it!

I don't think you can order everything from the MDR on room service. RS has a set menu each night, there may be some things you can order but you have to be in a full suite to order from the MDR menu.

They do have some movies on TV, I think there is a different one that repeats each day. Everything else is what you described: reruns of old TV shows, ads for the cruise line, and maybe CNN and or Fox news.

I hope you have a great cruise, we loved the Med.!

Sherri:)

Toiletries: I saw one poster's photos showing a selection of hotel sized toiletries in their bath. It was JS. Do all cabins have this? I have a Superior OV Balcony (1 catagory below the JS) Will I get these things? or should I bring a week's worth? Becuase of the int'l flight, packing space is at a huge premium and leaving shampoo, lotion, conditioner at home would be huge - even a week's worth. There will be shampoo and liquid soap in the shower and a bar of soap by the sink, but rooms below a JS do not get the little bottles of toiletries.

Are there movies/tv programs available in the rooms? Any tv shows or just re-runs of ship entertainment and infomercials? The one cruise I took several years ago had nothing but 10 year old sitcoms, a bridge cam and adverts/sales pitches for ship's paid activites and services. (Before you tell me to get out of my cabin or that I will never be in it, please know that I do not eat in the dining room and like to relax on my own in the evening with the exception of a very special show - part of the reason I spring for the balcony). There are some free movies and pay per view movies, as well as the ship's shows and rerun sitcoms. There is also some limited access to news.

I will be ordering room service. I understand I can get anything offered in the dining room. How do you know what is being offered each evening? Do they supply menus for the alternative restaurants like the cafe, Windjammer, etc. in the room? On the Baltic cruise we had to visit each dining area during the day for a posted menu for the evening before we made our choice.

A selection of MDR dishes will be available for room service. These will be listed on your television ordering system. I don't remember a menu posted for the WJ-we went one night and just looked around to see what was available. The alternative restaurants have a set menu and do not change from night to night (these can be found on RCI's website). Be warned that your balcony table will be very small. We managed a breakfast out there but I think dinner might be a little trickier!

Enjoy your cruise!

Toiletries: I saw one poster's photos showing a selection of hotel sized toiletries in their bath. It was JS. Do all cabins have this? I have a Superior OV Balcony (1 catagory below the JS) Will I get these things?

Unfortunately not.

Toiletries: I saw one poster's photos showing a selection of hotel sized toiletries in their bath. It was JS. Do all cabins have this? I have a Superior OV Balcony (1 catagory below the JS) Will I get these things? or should I bring a week's worth? Becuase of the int'l flight, packing space is at a huge premium and leaving shampoo, lotion, conditioner at home would be huge - even a week's worth.

Expect bar soap for the sink and the shower and a dispenser full of mystery cleaning fluid. I'm not particularly picky, but I prefer to take my own stuff. Make a point to bring good-quality shampoo and conditioner; the wind will whip your hair around something awful.

Since you're flying, I suggest that you mail your toiletries to your pre-cruise hotel. Get a pre-paid mailer from the post office. I did this on a non-cruise vacation, and I was able to mail my entire family's toiletries (for three weeks) in a $14 size box. The box also held sunscreen, a candle and lighter, a pocket knife, and some other things that would've been problematic on a plane.

Are there movies/tv programs available in the rooms? Any tv shows or just re-runs of ship entertainment and infomercials? The one cruise I took several years ago had nothing but 10 year old sitcoms, a bridge cam and adverts/sales pitches for ship's paid activites and services. (Before you tell me to get out of my cabin or that I will never be in it, please know that I do not eat in the dining room and like to relax on my own in the evening with the exception of a very special show - part of the reason I spring for the balcony)

You can see the same movies that're showing in the Screening Room on your room TV (do you prefer to go to a theater and watch a big screen, or lie on your own bed?). They have some Good Morning America type shows, a couple sit-coms, and the Style channel during the day . . . but they repeat all week. In the evenings they play the shows, so -- again -- if you prefer to see them in the privacy of your own room, you have that choice. If you watch a great deal of TV, you'll probably become bored with it.

They post the dinner menu outside the dining room doors all day long, so it wouldn't be hard to swing by and take a peek.

Expect bar soap for the sink and the shower and a dispenser full of mystery cleaning fluid. I'm not particularly picky, but I prefer to take my own stuff. Make a point to bring good-quality shampoo and conditioner; the wind will whip your hair around something awful.

Since you're flying, I suggest that you mail your toiletries to your pre-cruise hotel. Get a pre-paid mailer from the post office. I did this on a non-cruise vacation, and I was able to mail my entire family's toiletries (for three weeks) in a $14 size box. The box also held sunscreen, a candle and lighter, a pocket knife, and some other things that would've been problematic on a plane.

You can see the same movies that're showing in the Screening Room on your room TV (do you prefer to go to a theater and watch a big screen, or lie on your own bed?). They have some Good Morning America type shows, a couple sit-coms, and the Style channel during the day . . . but they repeat all week. In the evenings they play the shows, so -- again -- if you prefer to see them in the privacy of your own room, you have that choice. If you watch a great deal of TV, you'll probably become bored with it.

They post the dinner menu outside the dining room doors all day long, so it wouldn't be hard to swing by and take a peek.

Mrs Pete,

What a great idea to premail your toiletries pre-cruise to your pre-cruise hotel. How to you mail to the hotel exactly and do you call the hotel and tell them you have a package coming for you? I have a pre cruise stay in November and want to do this . Thanks for the advice. Laura

Re room service, as others have noted, you WON'T be able to get everything offered in the dining rooms. The room service menu is very limited; see

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCI_CSD_RoomService_Eng.pdf

for a sample menu. I think you'll get VERY bored VERY quickly if you plan on eating a lot of meals in your cabin--unless you fill up a plate at the Windjammer and take it back with you...

I believe other cruise lines (Celebrity?) still offer full dining room menus via room service to all guests, but from what I've read on these boards, RCCL only offers this amenity to those in full (not junior) suites...

Most other cruise lines (except perhaps premium cruise lines?) do not provide a full menu in the stateroom. Celebrity only provides food from the MDR for suite guests, and even then you might get attitude from the concierge (personal experience). Most offer only a limited room service menu.

I agree with julieds - part of the fun of cruising is eating in the dining room (or eating in general!). If you are able, I'd suggest going out of the room for meals, because room service will get old quickly.

This was what I got in bathroom on the Liberty of the Seas balcony cabin.

Shower

...Are there movies/tv programs available in the rooms? Any tv shows or just re-runs of ship entertainment and infomercials? The one cruise I took several years ago had nothing but 10 year old sitcoms, a bridge cam and adverts/sales pitches for ship's paid activites and services.

RCI has an agreement with CBS - "Eye on Royal Caribbean". We love it because they show some classic stuff (Lucille Ball) along with the new stuff: Craig Ferguson, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother...

Also they have a few movies a week, in several different languages.

Mrs Pete,

What a great idea to premail your toiletries pre-cruise to your pre-cruise hotel. How to you mail to the hotel exactly and do you call the hotel and tell them you have a package coming for you? I have a pre cruise stay in November and want to do this . Thanks for the advice. Laura

How about just stopping at a drugstore after you get to the hotel and buying shampoo?

The shampoo/conditioner combo on RCI's ship's really do suck. What I do is gather up all the samples sent to my home via mail, magazine inserts, etc. and throw them in my cosmetic bag. I can usually save up enough for a two week supply. Takes up virtually no luggage space and you don't have to bring them back with you. Works out well for me. :)

How about just stopping at a drugstore after you get to the hotel and buying shampoo?

Mrs Pete,

Call them in advance and verify that they accept packages. Address the package to yourself. Mail it plenty far in advance. Call to verify its arrival.

People are even mailing their suitcases ahead of themselves these days; companies exist to do this.

Sure, if you're going to arrive in time to do that. Personally, since we have a fairly long drive to Florida, we like to have absolutely nothing on the agenda for the evening.

Sure, if you're going to arrive in time to do that. Personally, since we have a fairly long drive to Florida, we like to have absolutely nothing on the agenda for the evening.

I understand about not wanting an agenda for the evening but if you are driving then why can't a person carry toiletries with them? I thought we were talking about carrying stuff with you when you fly. Anyway if you want to mail bottles of shampoo to yourself at a hotel instead of putting them in the car for the drive, I can't see it but whatever works for you.........

I understand about not wanting an agenda for the evening but if you are driving then why can't a person carry toiletries with them? I thought we were talking about carrying stuff with you when you fly. Anyway if you want to mail bottles of shampoo to yourself at a hotel instead of putting them in the car for the drive, I can't see it but whatever works for you.........
I was actually presenting an idea that we'd used for a non-cruise vacation -- we flew cross-country and didn't check luggage, so liquids were an issue. When we cruise, we're close enough to drive.

But my point in the second post was that we personally don't arrive at our Florida pre-cruise hotel 'til dark. Someone else may well have a late-day, after-work flight and may not want to shop.

Mailing things is an idea. Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't.

RCCL has always offered the main dining room menu for room service at dinner time. Their web site says that they still do. I'll find out for sure in December on the Jewel OTS.

They offered certain menu items but not all of the main dining room items on my Jewel cruise.

Of course if you're going to pay to mail the liquids, you may as well just pay to check an extra bag - then you can take along other extra items as well. You wouldn't have to bring the liquids back with you if you only take approximately the amount you need for the length of the cruise.
Checking a bag costs twice as much as mailing a small box. If you needed the extra space of the extra bag, then checking'd be worthwhile. If ALL you needed was the toiletries out of the way, then mailing makes sense.

That assumes, of course, that you don't mind checking a bag. My husband and I flat-out refuse to do it. He broke that rule a couple months ago on a business trip (when he had to tote quite a bit of stuff), and --wouldn't you know it? -- they charged him TWICE for the box he checked, and he wasted loads of time over that charge. Finally his company just refunded it.

Checking a bag costs twice as much as mailing a small box. If you needed the extra space of the extra bag, then checking'd be worthwhile. If ALL you needed was the toiletries out of the way, then mailing makes sense.

That assumes, of course, that you don't mind checking a bag. My husband and I flat-out refuse to do it. He broke that rule a couple months ago on a business trip (when he had to tote quite a bit of stuff), and --wouldn't you know it? -- they charged him TWICE for the box he checked, and he wasted loads of time over that charge. Finally his company just refunded it.

Heck, if you are staying in a hotel the night before, just ask the housekeeper for a couple of extra bottles of shampoo.

Much ado about nothing!

Archived