E-Cig onboard

I *really* like the bluecig - it has not helped me quit smoking (particularly while drinking) but it's helped me cut back. I admit, I rarely use it in places I wouldn't ordinarily be allowed to smoke, I mostly use it in places I would usually light up.

It doesn't seem to do a DARN thing for me while drinking - I just vape and vape and vape and then realize I've been vaping nonstop for 20 minutes. I guess drunk-me keeps looking for the smoke =P

Which airline?

I never smoke around non smokers if I can help it. (I can't help it when they sit in the smoking sections, or walk by me on the smoking side of the ship) but if I was using a vapor cig. I would continue to use it. They can move as well as me. It's doesn't harm them in the least. It wouldn't be as bad as just breathing in a big city.

If I was in a smoking section, I wouldn't expect anyone smoking or vaping to move. I'm in THEIR space. However, vaping expels nicotine...why should I have to inhale nicotine if I don't want to, get my point? You're absolutely entitled to continue your habit, but I don't see why your habit gets the right to infringe on my airspace. So, for instance, I would have an issue with someone sitting next to me in the MDR vaping...outside, probably not so much if there was air moving.

If I was in a smoking section, I wouldn't expect anyone smoking or vaping to move. I'm in THEIR space. However, vaping expels nicotine...why should I have to inhale nicotine if I don't want to, get my point? You're absolutely entitled to continue your habit, but I don't see why your habit gets the right to infringe on my airspace. So, for instance, I would have an issue with someone sitting next to me in the MDR vaping...outside, probably not so much if there was air moving.

I'm a non-smoker. But, I think you're getting really extreme. There's more crap in the air that you realize....even sea air, that whatever miniscule, teeny-tiny amounts of nicotine that may (or may not) find it's way to your nostrils isn't going to amount to anything.

Not meant as an insult at all, but am curious, has anyone ever mentioned to you perhaps you're a hypochondriac?

Please, whatever you do, Do not go outside your home! You are proabably gonna fall over dead right then from all the bad stuff in the air:rolleyes:

You are overreacting. vaping does not expel nicotine into the air, just moisture. The nicotine is inhaled by the "smoker" - subsequently "your space" is not being violated and should take on another cause. You have not researched the e-cigs and the ignorant, "high and mighty" attitude comes through clearly. :mad:

There's no way you would inhale nicotine, at least not physically but probably mentally :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if they sell e-cigs on the Liberty? Do they carry them on all the ships? I would totally like to try but I am newbie.. not sure if I want to buy online.. so getting something in my hand so to speak would be great. I am a half pack day smoker.. and have no idea what strength to start off with?? All advice welcome. I am so tired of feeling like a bug when I smoke.. like I should go into a corner and hide.. and long waits at airports have taken a toll... so the e-cig sounds like a perfect solution.

I'm a non-smoker. But, I think you're getting really extreme. There's more crap in the air that you realize....even sea air, that whatever miniscule, teeny-tiny amounts of nicotine that may (or may not) find it's way to your nostrils isn't going to amount to anything.

Not meant as an insult at all, but am curious, has anyone ever mentioned to you perhaps you're a hypochondriac?

Blindrid:

You are overreacting. vaping does not expel nicotine into the air, just moisture. The nicotine is inhaled by the "smoker" - subsequently "your space" is not being violated and should take on another cause. You have not researched the e-cigs and the ignorant, "high and mighty" attitude comes through clearly.

There's no way you would inhale nicotine, at least not physically but probably mentally

Wow, rude and ignorant. What winning combinations! :)

I'm just curious...where are the studies that prove it's just vapor? Anyone can say something, but you aren't speaking a fact into existence. For instance, I could say one of the above posters had class...or at a minimum, tact. But it wouldn't be true.

There are however, studies on the lungs ability to inhale nicotine, and that it only retains a small portion of that inhaled. The rest is dispersed into the air. Regular cigarettes turn it into gas, in the form of smoke. E-cig turn it into gas, in the form of vapor. The intended receptacle...the lungs, are the constant, and still can't glean more nicotine from one gas versus another.

This isn't about pollutants in the air that one cannot change. This is about you forcing your habit on others...elderly, pregnant women, children, those with allergies...No one is taking away your right to use your drug. We're just asking you not to infringe on other's right to clean air.

This thread, like every other thread that even mentions smoking, children, tipping and dress codes has become a nasty name calling thread.

If I use my e-cig in front of you, and you start coughing or telling me to put it out, you are going to see and hear my level of frustration with this topic.

:D

Does anyone know if they sell e-cigs on the Liberty? Do they carry them on all the ships? I would totally like to try but I am newbie.. not sure if I want to buy online.. so getting something in my hand so to speak would be great. I am a half pack day smoker.. and have no idea what strength to start off with?? All advice welcome. I am so tired of feeling like a bug when I smoke.. like I should go into a corner and hide.. and long waits at airports have taken a toll... so the e-cig sounds like a perfect solution.

I have never seen them on ships, but you can get them at a smoke shop type store.

Does anyone have any info on using a PV(personal vaporizor) onboard Carnival Ships? My husband is wanting to know if he'll need to go to the smoking area for this. :confused:

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Julie, no he will not have to go anywhere to use his e-cig.

This thread, like every other thread that even mentions smoking, children, tipping and dress codes has become a nasty name calling thread.

If I use my e-cig in front of you, and you start coughing or telling me to put it out, you are going to see and hear my level of frustration with this topic.

:D

I was reading it last night and it was so peaceful and then I look at it tonight and it's really getting nasty. Why oh Why? Honestly, my husband uses his ecig everywhere and noone even notices.

I am a non-smoker. My husband started using e-cigarettes out of respect for me and other non-smokers.

I don't smell them, I don't mind them and I am frankly proud of him for doing this since he had no desire to quit smoking and now is at least not inhaling chemicals like tar and formaldehyde....and he has no smoke smell about him.

I assume the person who wants clean air drives a bicycle everywhere he/she goes, does not use air conditioning, has never used a cleaning product, and does not paint their home.

I would worry more about those pollutants than obsess about the vapor that is emitted from an e-cigarette.

If given a choice between dining with an e-cigarette smoker or sitting next to a judgmental whiner, let me think....... where are those e-cig smokers?

I've been using one for almost 2 years. I have a co-worker who swears it smells like a cigarette to her. Funny thing is, she doesn't say that unless she sees me using it. When she is not looking directly at it, she doesn't know it is happening. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I've been using one for almost 2 years. I have a co-worker who swears it smells like a cigarette to her. Funny thing is, she doesn't say that unless she sees me using it. When she is not looking directly at it, she doesn't know it is happening. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I have to say that I am very sensitive to the smell...and I have sat right next to my friends on a cruise ship while they were smoking E-Cigs and I could not tell it...even when I saw them using it.

While some nicotine may escape into the air in the vapor, it is my understanding that the nicotine itself isn't the biggest issue....it is the other 3,000 toxins in regular cigarette smoke (most of which are the irritants that cause cancer) released in the smoke that are the biggest problem.

And just the huge reduction from a lot of smoke with all these other irritants in them to a small wisp of vapor with a little nicotine would be a great improvement.

Blindrid:

I'm just curious...where are the studies that prove it's just vapor? Anyone can say something, but you aren't speaking a fact into existence. For instance, I could say one of the above posters had class...or at a minimum, tact. But it wouldn't be true.

There are however, studies on the lungs ability to inhale nicotine, and that it only retains a small portion of that inhaled. The rest is dispersed into the air. Regular cigarettes turn it into gas, in the form of smoke. E-cig turn it into gas, in the form of vapor. The intended receptacle...the lungs, are the constant, and still can't glean more nicotine from one gas versus another.

This isn't about pollutants in the air that one cannot change. This is about you forcing your habit on others...elderly, pregnant women, children, those with allergies...No one is taking away your right to use your drug. We're just asking you not to infringe on other's right to clean air.

The habit has nothing to do with bystanders. I don't have time to source every study (even thought the FDA has never studied it) but here is one citation from one out of New Zealand regarding the effects on bystanders:

"Method. Analysis of published data on nicotine absorption, and informal comments of bystanders, and observation of e-cigarette smoking indoors.

Results. Cigarette smoke is a mixture of sidestream smoke and exhaled mainstream smoke. In constrast, the e-cigarette generates no sidestream smoke from its (artificially lit) tip. Any exhaled PG mist visibly dissipates to vapor within seconds. Non-smoking bystanders do not find the mist unpleasant. The mist is odorless, and those close by quickly realize it does not have the odor of smoke or the irritating quality of tobacco cigarette smoke.

Comments. Inhaled nicotine in cigarette smoke is over 98% absorbed 6, and so the exhaled mist of the e-cigarette is composed of propylene glycol, and contains almost no nicotine; and no CO. (see Figure 3.5) Lacking any active ingredient or any gaseous products of combustion, the PG mist or ‘smoke’ is not harmful to bystanders. The ‘smoke’ or mist is not tobacco smoke, and not from combustion – no flame is lit – and is not defined as environmental tobacco smoke. E-cigarette “smoking” would be

permitted under New Zealand’s Smoke-free Environments Act 1990.33

32"

By:

Murray Laugesen

Health New Zealand Ltd

Christchurch, New Zealand.

www.healthnz.co.nz

I do get a feeling that the FDA is reaching a bit when it shows concern over concerns of long term exposure of propylene gycol. It's been in cake mix, cosmetic, soda, beers and various food products for years. A lot of the "anti" people like to use ethylene glycol and propylene glycol in the same sentence, causing hysteria.

Anyway, enough time wasted on this subject. Have a great day.

The habit has nothing to do with bystanders. I don't have time to source every study (even thought the FDA has never studied it) but here is one citation from one out of New Zealand regarding the effects on bystanders:

"Method.

Analysis of published data on nicotine absorption, and informal comments of bystanders, and observation of e-cigarette smoking indoors.

Results.

Cigarette smoke is a mixture of sidestream smoke and exhaled mainstream smoke. In constrast, the e-cigarette generates no sidestream smoke from its (artificially lit) tip. Any exhaled PG mist visibly dissipates to vapor within seconds. Non-smoking bystanders do not find the mist unpleasant. The mist is odorless, and those close by quickly realize it does not have the odor of smoke or the irritating quality of tobacco cigarette smoke.

Comments

. Inhaled nicotine in cigarette smoke is over 98% absorbed 6, and so the exhaled mist of the e-cigarette is composed of propylene glycol, and contains almost no nicotine; and no CO. (see Figure 3.5) Lacking any active ingredient or any gaseous products of combustion, the PG mist or ‘smoke’ is not harmful to bystanders. The ‘smoke’ or mist is not tobacco smoke, and not from combustion – no flame is lit – and is not defined as environmental tobacco smoke. E-cigarette “smoking” would be

permitted under New Zealand’s Smoke-free Environments Act 1990.33

32"

By:

Murray Laugesen

Health New Zealand Ltd

Christchurch, New Zealand.

www.healthnz.co.nz

I do get a feeling that the FDA is reaching a bit when it shows concern over concerns of long term exposure of propylene gycol. It's been in cake mix, cosmetic, soda, beers and various food products for years. A lot of the "anti" people like to use ethylene glycol and propylene glycol in the same sentence, causing hysteria.

Anyway, enough time wasted on this subject. Have a great day.

I was actually looking for that study but couldn't find it. An acquaintance of mine uses one of these ecigs. She showed me this study a little while ago.

Anyway, she "vapes" (didn't know what to call it until I saw the term used here) everywhere....in restaurants, in her office, etc. She's kind of a rebel since she uses the ones that looks like a real lit cig, just so she can send some people into a "tizzy" and experience some of the same reactions we're witnessing here.

I'm sure the FDA is looking for their "pound of flesh". When the ecig companies finally pay them, FDA tests will commence. Doesn't look like they need the FDA now, though. Save the taxpayers some money.

You are incorrect. Vaping expels water vapor (hence the name -- vaping). Furthermore, nicotine is a naturally occurring compound that everyone ingests in their food on a daily basis, and that's nothing to say of what's in the atmosphere. If you don't want to ingest nicotine, you're going to have a very hard time of it in this world.

Further to the point, the FDA hasn't moved to study these yet basically because Big Tobacco hasn't put their product on the market yet. The reason? Altria is perfecting it. The problem with most commercially available e-cigs is that the nicotine isn't actually absorbed in the lungs but rather in the mouth, where the vapor dissipates, which isn't nearly as effecient or effective a delivery system as the capillaries of the lungs. Once Altria and Marlboro find a way to actually get the vapor into the lungs, you can guarantee the FDA will have an opinion.

Ironic timing...I had a coworker purchase an e-cig starter kit last week, but since he's one of those folks that buys wacky stuff all the time (you gotta get the Shamwow! You know the type), I wrote it off as a fluke. But then, this thread surfaced, and I read the other thread, and started to read the other forum, and...now I'm looking into getting one of these.

There's just a daunting amount of information, lingo, choices, methods, etc. I'd like to see this thread stick to the topic of e-cigs (and hopefully enlighten/inform some smokers and non-smokers), and not degrade into petty insults. Hey, look at the RCL thread...one naysayer somewhere around page 10, but 15 pages of pure information! Let's keep it clean, folks!

Archived