Oceania vs PG to Tahiti

Cruise Junky

I'm on the fence about the holiday cruise of LA - Papeete. Christmas in Hawaii and New Year in Tahiti is pretty appealing! But the comments I'm hearing is that the PG is superior for that area of the world. Price wise...PG is a big ouch for only a 7 day cruise. For only $600 more pp you can cruise 21 days on Oceania. I realize that PG is all inclusive, but only includes air from LA and not Vancouver. Would people really pay that much more for a 7 day cruise rather than a 21 day cruise on Oceania?

We took PG to Tahiti. At the time, we had to pay for all of of our excursions, but the ship tours we took were excellent. Overall, it was one of our better cruises. We elected to stay overnight in one of the over the water cabins in Bora Bora at the Pearl Beach resort, a trip we arranged on our own, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Great snorkeling and a great vacation, whichever line you choose.

Similar quandry here, but we happily decided to book on Regatta's 21 day sailing from Los Angeles via Hawaii to Tahiti. The fact that the fare price 'included' the air in the was attractive (not just r/t out of LA) but the deal sealer for us was that great Oceania service we received last year on our first cruise.

Go for it!

I hope Damien Lacroix, GM, will be onboard as he used to manage a hotel in Bora Bora for 3 years, so he is very familiar with this region. He is young ( early 30's ), energetic, personable, and very hands on.

I have heard since the PG was sold there have been some major changes many not good..

Jancruz1

Jan - you have heard wrong - at least as far as CCers are concerned - Linger on the PG boards and those who sailed the PG under Regent and under new management claim it is even better now.

I just sailed on the PG. I love O but O cannot replicate the PG experience. The ship is dedicated to that region - much smaller - 330 max passengers -- all inclusive -- its own water sports platform -- Mark Eddowes -- and has the most magnificent service I have experienced ANYWHERE - and I am very well traveled. I have two future O cruises booked (again, I love O) but I am going back to French Polynesia in 2012 and I would not consider O as long as PG is around. You have to have experienced it to understand it. I am sure a cruise there on O will be fine -- but it cannot possibly have the magic of the PG.

Go for it!

I hope Damien Lacroix, GM, will be onboard as he used to manage a hotel in Bora Bora for 3 years, so he is very familiar with this region. He is young ( early 30's ), energetic, personable, and very hands on.

You forgot to mention very handsome:D

We sailed Hawaii - Tahiti on the Tahitian Princess, and we did a Tuamotos, Marquesas, Society Islands on the PG in January. And we are sailing again on Oceania next week. Hands down, the experience on the PG is unique. The service, the food, the ship - they are all wonderful. Oceania will do a wonderful job, I'm sure, but the PG is worth every penny. We have been relatively in the same cabin category on each sailing, so hopefully I'm comparing apples to apples. Terrific experience whatever you choose. I would go for PG:)

Vantage is a tour company that arranges trips largely for seniors

think it is out of mass... mother booked us on a land tour to the old Russia in late 80's. .it was ok but not as good as other land tour companies.. also they seem to find you even aftr you move.. YUK to that!!

I suggest those of you who are debating between O and PG go over to the PG boards and read the comments.

There is one post entitled - "Best Cruise Ever. PERIOD." That says it all.

On the O boards you will largely get O fans extolling O. I, too. extol O -- most of the time. It is my favorite cruise line if I am sailing anywhere but French Polynesia.

I am not suggesting O will not do good job. I am sure they will. Just get all the information to make an informed decision, and then enjoy whatever cruise you book.

BY the way, the PG is getting a complete refurbish in early 2012 - no that it needs one. It is perfect as it is.

Jan - you have heard wrong - at least as far as CCers are concerned - Linger on the PG boards and those who sailed the PG under Regent and under new management claim it is even better now.

I just sailed on the PG. I love O but O cannot replicate the PG experience. The ship is dedicated to that region - much smaller - 330 max passengers -- all inclusive -- its own water sports platform -- Mark Eddowes -- and has the most magnificent service I have experienced ANYWHERE - and I am very well traveled. I have two future O cruises booked (again, I love O) but I am going back to French Polynesia in 2012 and I would not consider O as long as PG is around. You have to have experienced it to understand it. I am sure a cruise there on O will be fine -- but it cannot possibly have the magic of the PG.

PG was a wonderful ship under Regent as I was on it twice.

I am glad to hear you still love it..one day I may try it again..

Jancruz1

I was on the PG when Regent still had it. I am highly considering the Papeete to SF on Oceania in 12. I haven't been to Hawaii yet and that is very compelling.

We had a wonderful time on PG but I wouldn't rate it as highly as Pacheco. The food was ok, but on the other hand I wasn't bowled over by the food on Oceania either. There was nothing wrong with the service on PG but I certainly wouldn't rate it as high as Silversea.

Either way it's hard to go wrong when you're in FP. It truly is a paradise.

I thought the food on the PG was far better than the food on O (which is quite good - not as great as many claim IMO). I have posted before that to have truly great food you can't be serving 700 + people. It just doesn't happen on a ship. We had only around 280 on our PG cruise - more like a restaurant -- as there were 3 dining venues and the chefs were really able to take the food up a notch. I was also impressed by the quality of the buffet lunches. I like to "pick" and those lunches allowed me to taste so many wonderful things. Even the coffee was amazingly good.

I agree with the earlier poster -- if you want to immerse yourself in FP - the culture, the mood -- get the Polynesian flu -- go on the PG. If you just want a taste of it, O will be fine.

No one said"bag of chips." Just not "Best Cruise Ever. PERIOD"

Here's why

FP will be just another route on O ---not its dedicated route

Sorrento o Bora Bora -- all the same to O -- a stop on the cruise. Not the essence of the cruise.

O will not have:

Gauguines - they are the heart and soul of the ship - they set the mood, they entertain, they teach

Water sports platform on the ship

Complete dive team on board and a ship set up for water sports -- water skiing, diving, snorkeling

330 passengers or less

All inclusive

A staff and crew that knows the area well because that's the only place they sail

Mark Eddowes

A ship purpose built to sail in FP

Its own private Motu

A ship whose interior design is all about FP

Service and food is fbetter IMO - cannot do with 700+ what you can do with less than half that number of people.

The intangibles -- connections from having sailed there for a decade.

Relationships with some very special people - Michael Poole, Tahia Collins

I don;'t have to sell it - I am just telling it like it is. Read the PG boards and see for yourself.

Frankly, I'd rather you all go to FP on O - if too many choose the PG, prices could go up and I won't get the stateroom I want.

Again --not a bag of chips -- just not creme brulee (made with Tahitian Vanilla, of course).

No one said"bag of chips." Just not "Best Cruise Ever. PERIOD"

Here's why

FP will be just another route on O ---not its dedicated route

Sorrento o Bora Bora -- all the same to O -- a stop on the cruise. Not the essence of the cruise.

O will not have:

Gauguines - they are the heart and soul of the ship - they set the mood, they entertain, they teach

Water sports platform on the ship

Complete dive team on board and a ship set up for water sports -- water skiing, diving, snorkeling

330 passengers or less

All inclusive

A staff and crew that knows the area well because that's the only place they sail

Mark Eddowes

A ship purpose built to sail in FP

Its own private Motu

A ship whose interior design is all about FP

Service and food is fbetter IMO - cannot do with 700+ what you can do with less than half that number of people.

The intangibles -- connections from having sailed there for a decade.

Relationships with some very special people - Michael Poole, Tahia Collins

I don;'t have to sell it - I am just telling it like it is. Read the PG boards and see for yourself.

Frankly, I'd rather you all go to FP on O - if too many choose the PG, prices could go up and I won't get the stateroom I want.

Again --not a bag of chips -- just not creme brulee (made with Tahitian Vanilla, of course).

I've given this some thought and I feel your two best points are Mark Eddowes and the private Motu.

I wasn't that impressed with the Gauguines, we didn't use the water sports platform, but I can see how that is important to some.

As I stated before I certainly didn't think the food was anything special, as a matter of fact (ok, maybe my opinion) the breakfast was rather dismal. The breakfast meats were next to inedible. The rest of the meals were certainly nothing to rave about.

The ship might have been purposefully built for FP but with the flat bottom it came as close to making me seasick as I've ever been on a cruise ship. And I pretty much never get seasick.

One thing to bear in mind. The PG was operated by Regent for a long time. Perhaps their connections and people will be transfered to O when they go there due to same ownership. I don't think they will be complete rookies in the area.

Once again, I really really enjoyed being on the PG, I just feel like you are over hyping it. I think O will do a good job there.

I completely disagree with you -- about the food and everything else. And so do all those who have posted on the PG boards. You sailed in 2008 under Regent. I just returned.

But to call it "hype" -- that's pretty insulting --- it's my opinion - I have no dog in this fight - I don't profit or lose if people book O or the PG. I am not selling anything.

I doubt any intelligent person would make a decision about whether to choose a ship because YOU got seasick. I cannot tell you how many people were seasick on my O cruise in September. Is that a reason not to cruise O? Get real.

The best advice I can give for those contemplating cruising to French Polynesia is to go to the PG boards. Just make an informed decision.

O will do a nice job I am sure. (I am an O devotee). As I said, Just won't be Best Cruise Ever. PERIOD.

We spent a total of 2.5 months on the PG while it was Regent. The last time was Nov/Dec 2008 on a B2B to the Marquesas and the Cooks........absolutely fabulous.

The ship was purpose built for the islands and atolls of French Polynesia and it's shallow draw allows the PG to go through the narrow passes of the atolls. My DH is prone to sea-sickness but never on the PG when he wears sea-bands. We experienced 15 foot seas without a problem, though we did have "the motion of the ocean".

If you are going for a nice sea voyage in an awesome setting, O would be fine. What sets the PG way ahead is that you experience the culture of FP the minute you step aboard. Then there's the marina platform, kayaks, dive program, Motu Mahana, and the guest lecturers (Mark Eddowes is fascinating!).....you are exposed to many special experiences that the PG staff does so well.

Our TA returned from a 2 week voyage on the PG from Fiji this summer. She travels extensively on Regent.....and came back to tell us that the food was great....and that service was at the same level as before.

Our choice would be the PG.

I completely disagree with you -- about the food and everything else. And so do all those who have posted on the PG boards. You sailed in 2008 under Regent. I just returned.

But to call it "hype" -- that's pretty insulting --- it's my opinion - I have no dog in this fight - I don't profit or lose if people book O or the PG. I am not selling anything.

I doubt any intelligent person would make a decision about whether to choose a ship because YOU got seasick. I cannot tell you how many people were seasick on my O cruise in September. Is that a reason not to cruise O? Get real.

The best advice I can give for those contemplating cruising to French Polynesia is to go to the PG boards. Just make an informed decision.

O will do a nice job I am sure. (I am an O devotee). As I said, Just won't be Best Cruise Ever. PERIOD.

I'll agree to disagree

Archived