100% Agave and beach

cruisinaz

Greedy girl!

You are right. I am a little greedy.

But, I did say "almost". LOL

I have shared the name and information with others who are on our cruise.

Now it is their choice whether or not to believe me. :roll eyes:

I must admit that I won't push those that say that they feel a need to go on a tour. Their loss.

I must ask - have you been there?

Judy

Greedy girl!

You are right. I am a little greedy.

But, I did say "almost". LOL

I have shared the name and information with others who are on our cruise.

Now it is their choice whether or not to believe me. :rolleyes:

I must admit that I won't push those that say that they feel a need to go on a tour. Their loss.

I must ask - have you been there?

Judy

Planning on 100% Agave my first priority when we get to Costa Maya in a couple of weeks. Had thought about one of the all inclusive beach parties.... but after reading all the great comments Fernando's it will be!!!!!!!

Now remember, this place isn't on the beach nor is it Doe's or Flying Fish Cafe. But Fernando's lechon puts anything Whole Hog turns out to shame,IMO. After you've eaten here (or before if you're in CM early) head toward the beach and find Tropicante (back to Sierra, turn right then turn right at the beach) and look up Steve,get a couple of loungers and get a beach massage! Life should be so good!

Now remember, this place isn't on the beach nor is it Doe's or Flying Fish Cafe. But Fernando's lechon puts anything Whole Hog turns out to shame,IMO. After you've eaten here (or before if you're in CM early) head toward the beach and find Tropicante (back to Sierra, turn right then turn right at the beach) and look up Steve,get a couple of loungers and get a beach massage! Life should be so good!

Actually I emailed Steve at Tropicante this morning and asked him to reserve some loungers for us. All the time I've lived in Little Rock, I still haven't eaten at Does, and only been to the Flying Fish twice, and since my wife thinks good mexican food is On the Border, I can't wait to try Fernando's. I've read somewhere that the Lechon is awesome. Not sure what I am looking forward to more, the food or the tequila!!!

Actually I emailed Steve at Tropicante this morning and asked him to reserve some loungers for us. All the time I've lived in Little Rock, I still haven't eaten at Does, and only been to the Flying Fish twice, and since my wife thinks good mexican food is On the Border, I can't wait to try Fernando's. I've read somewhere that the Lechon is awesome. Not sure what I am looking forward to more, the food or the tequila!!!

Luckily, you don't have to choose! :D

The food AND beverages are the best ever. Fernando brings you a "sample" drink when you first arrive. Yum, yum!

I don't know if I can wait until January or not......guess I have to! :eek:

Judy

Luckily, you don't have to choose! :D

The food AND beverages are the best ever. Fernando brings you a "sample" drink when you first arrive. Yum, yum!

I don't know if I can wait until January or not......guess I have to! :eek:

Judy

I'll be there next month. You can live through me. ;)

I'll be there next month. You can live through me. ;)

Tell Fernando, crewsweeper said to have a michelada(like a beer bloody mary--ask for Modelo Especial or Bohemia)! Or that pastis and tequila drink he makes:) Also makes a mean margarita and a excellent paloma (grapefruit soda and tequila).

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to the mountaintop!

A year ago I searched in vain for this place and ended up eating at the lighthouse.

Well this year we ate and drank at Fernando's. What a guy. I had the chocolate mole for lunch. Amazing. Great food and wonderful prices. I bought a liter of the tequila. He put in a plastic bottle and it got thru the ship's x-ray's.

Although Costa Maya is much more touristy than it was pre-hurricane, I recommend spending the day there.

Finally the three times I have been there was by walking from the ship. Easy walk on paved roads that are closer to the shoreline.

Thanks Crewsweeper for the information!

• 2 weeks later...

Hypothetically..... What would the chances of a water bottle of Fernando's best makin' it through security and back on board the Mariner? I know they are real fussy in Galveston about that, just not sure about the ports of call. Just askin......

Hypothetically..... What would the chances of a water bottle of Fernando's best makin' it through security and back on board the Mariner? I know they are real fussy in Galveston about that, just not sure about the ports of call. Just askin......

From actual experience...100%. Fernando will even supply the water bottle.:D. I suggest to be on the safe side, as different cruise lines have different security when you re-board, bring a bottle of Sobe's Zero Fuji Apple Vitaminwater with you when you embark at the ship's home port. You can drink it or dump the contents as you wish (it's not too sweet, but flavored water isn't everyones cupp of tea) and rinse and dry the inside. The coloring of Fernando's "hooch" and the Sobe are fairly close and Sobe waters have more "cover" labeling than other flavored or plain waters. No one's going to suspect going through the ship's scanners at C.M.

I can't speak for the Mariner, but on the NCL Spirit it would have been fairly easy. Fernando's agave is really good, but if you get a chance stop by Tropicante and try the El Compadre.... so smooth! Runs about $10 a bottle at a little store down the street.

From actual experience...100%. Fernando will even supply the water bottle.:D. I suggest to be on the safe side, as different cruise lines have different security when you re-board, bring a bottle of Sobe's Zero Fuji Apple Vitaminwater with you when you embark at the ship's home port. You can drink it or dump the contents as you wish (it's not too sweet, but flavored water isn't everyones cupp of tea) and rinse and dry the inside. The coloring of Fernando's "hooch" and the Sobe are fairly close and Sobe waters have more "cover" labeling than other flavored or plain waters. No one's going to suspect going through the ship's scanners at C.M.

Earlier posts spoke of massages on the beach. You seem to be quite knowledgeable about this area so please explain...who, where, with whom????? Your recommendation for 100 many post back certainly created a lot of business for Fernando and a lot of happy eaters. We will be on Jewel Jan 30 out of Tampa. Could really use a massage and refuse to pay ship prices. Thanks

Grace

Earlier posts spoke of massages on the beach. You seem to be quite knowledgeable about this area so please explain...who, where, with whom????? Your recommendation for 100 many post back certainly created a lot of business for Fernando and a lot of happy eaters. We will be on Jewel Jan 30 out of Tampa. Could really use a massage and refuse to pay ship prices. Thanks

Grace

Grace, there are women all up and down the beach with tables set up & they are ready to give you your massage. I didn't get one, but they are very cheap.

Lots of people tell me that they are very good.

Judy

Just ate at Fernando's on our 12/26 cruise out of Galveston. It was a little difficult to find though. Make sure you don't ask someone who has a vested interest in getting you to eat or drink on the beach. I was told that Fernando's was closed, wasn't there, and that it didn't exist. I finally asked one of the yellow taxi guys where it was and he very kindly walked us one street back from the beach up to this tall gentleman. When I asked him if he knew where Fernando's was, he said "I AM FERNANDO!"

Everything you've read about this place is true. First of all, it is an outside hole in the wall. It is partially covered by a thatched roof and has a sand floor. The bathrooms are primitive. HOWEVER, it is utterly charming at the same time. Fernando and our waiter very carefully wiped down every chair for our party of 7 and then put a tablecloth and placemats out for us.

The menu in Spanish with English translations underneath.

When you first get there, Fernando brings you complimentary tiny drinks in shot glasses. For the three adults, we received tequila mixed with some other stuff [can't recall] for a light pre-dinner drink. The kids received their own little non-alcoholic drinks. Then we all ordered frozen drinks [various margaritas for the adults, fruit smoothies for the kids]. The food was simple and delicious. I enjoyed the shrimp cocktail, several of us had steak or fish tacos. We also had guacamole and salsa with chips. To finish the meal, Fernando brings you complimentary drinks again: tequila mixed with kahlua and coffee for the adults, and coconut milk and peach juice for the kids.

Our visit to Fernando's was one of the highlights of our cruise. Fernando is extremely personable and the meal was very enjoyable.

Total price for 6 margaritas, 3 fruit smoothies, chips and salsa, chips and guacamole, two dinner-sized shrimp cocktails, 1 order of fish tacos and 3 orders of steak tacos was $53.00!!! This doesn't even include all the free little drinks we got before and after dinner. We then bought two liters of his tequila for $15 per bottle and gave a nice tip on top of that. Nine frozen drinks on the ship would have cost us $80 alone.

I know everyone has lots of questions about the tequila, so I'll just explain how we handled bringing it back to the ship. Fernando gets it out of this keg and puts it in two plastic grenadine bottles. The scanners caught it going back on the ship. We COULD have said " hey look it is just grenadine -- not alcoholic" and probably successfully brought it to our cabin. However, we didn't want to drink it on the ship anyway -- just wanted to get it home. So, we said "it is tequila" and "checked" it upon return to the ship. They return it to you in your cabin the night before you leave. Then you just put it in your luggage and declare it on your customs tag. It is no big deal. You can purchase alcohol in any port and bring it on the ship and then leave the ship with it at the end of the cruise as long as you declare it on your customs form. The only thing that you have to SNEAK is if you are trying to get back on the ship with it so you can drink it in your cabin -- then you want it to look like water so they don't take it and hold it till the cruise is over.

We'll be in Costa Maya from 7a - 3p in about 2 weeks. I reserved a table with Steve (loungers were already gone when I emailed him 6 weeks ago). We plan to go to Tropicante early for some beach time, a couple of drinks and maybe an appetizer and then go to Fernando's for lunch. Am I correct in thinking when I leave Tropicante I turn right, then left on Sierra and I should see Fernando's? If that's not right can someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

We'll be in Costa Maya from 7a - 3p in about 2 weeks. I reserved a table with Steve (loungers were already gone when I emailed him 6 weeks ago). We plan to go to Tropicante early for some beach time, a couple of drinks and maybe an appetizer and then go to Fernando's for lunch. Am I correct in thinking when I leave Tropicante I turn right, then left on Sierra and I should see Fernando's? If that's not right can someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

I think it's left out of Tropicante's shop facing the water (but right off the beach with your back to the water). Think "head toward ship". Then left on Sierra, one short block to cross street, Huachinango, then 100% Agave is to your left on the left side of the street. I don't have access to my map at the moment. But Steve will easily direct you if you ask.

Had a WONDERFUL lunch last week at 100% Agave with Fernando and his team. All that you have seen reported is true, and more (better).

Complimentary welcome drink/chips. Great entree and another complimentary drink after the meal. I highly recomend the tequila and anise for the after-dinner drink. We all had 1 or 2 margaritas with the meal as well.

Fernando came over and spent about 10-15 minutes with us telling us about the various types of Tequila and gave us samples of his "private stock". He doesn't make it, but it is some really good white tequila that he has made for him. Very, very smooth.

The price (drinks and meal) was {get this} only $38 for 4 adults! It was the highlight of the trip!! I left the rest of the $50 as a tip. Well worthwile!

He was kind enough to put a liter in a plastic bottle for us, which we purchased at a very modest price $15. We had no trouble getting it back on the RCCL ship. They scanned the beach bag and didn't even blink as we brought it on. My friends had the same results. I suspect that the plastic, not glass, bottle helped a lot.

Massage on the beach was very good. Not the super great, deep tissue one that I get at home, but very good. On the other hand it was only $25! Everything seemed clean. You will not have a problem finding the massage tables along the beach.

• 1 month later...
Sigh! The super smooth (no hangover) bottle of Tequila is long-gone & I'm missin' the fun that we had at Fernando's.... Sigh!

Us too. We were there last month. Guess we'll just have to book another cruise to get the bottle refilled...........:D

• 2 weeks later...

Last week we planned to visit Fernando after drinking our way up and down the Malecon. :D We knew he was moving, but didn't know if he was at his new location yet, so we asked around. Everyone told us he wouldn't be open for a couple weeks. :( Fortunately, we decided to have a look for ourselves and went to his "old" location. He was still there doing his thing. :cool: I told him what the competition said and he wasn't surprised. He told me he will only be closed for 1 day "in a couple of weeks". So don't listen to the competition... and don't miss this wonderful taste of Mexico! :)

Last week we planned to visit Fernando after drinking our way up and down the Malecon. :D We knew he was moving, but didn't know if he was at his new location yet, so we asked around. Everyone told us he wouldn't be open for a couple weeks. :( Fortunately, we decided to have a look for ourselves and went to his "old" location. He was still there doing his thing. :cool: I told him what the competition said and he wasn't surprised. He told me he will only be closed for 1 day "in a couple of weeks". So don't listen to the competition... and don't miss this wonderful taste of Mexico! :)

Do you know where the new location will be?

I can't imagine going to Costa Maya & not seeing Fernando! :eek:

We'll be there in the fall.

Judy

Archived