FREE Luxury Hotel Package

Rally

Our July cruise is included, so I am happy about that and hope that my TA can work it for us.

In terms of negativity, the board did leave me a little worried about our March cruise, especially as to whether our fifteen year old would enjoy himself, but as they say the proof is in the pudding . . . all three of us had a wonderful time. We enjoyed it so much that within days of returning, we booked our Baltic cruise (just the two of us) as the teenager will be off on the expedition, the postponement of which this year landed him on the cruise with us. We have also booked a Christmas cruise on Paul Gauguin and our son is eagerly looking forward to this, too.

When reading boards like this, I always remind myself that I am reading the opinions of individuals and if reading intelligently it is quite simple to work out which posters seem to have similar tastes to my own

Mimito4, I am looking forward to meeting you on our Alaska cruise! I get the feeling that you are spicey and fun, and just a bit outspoken, which are great qualities! I think that we have both been 'spoiled' by the warmth of the SeaDream boards! I have not cruised on SD, but after reading the boards for nearly a year, I would like to, just to meet the nice folks that I feel like I already know:)

Also, just a note to the rest of the loyal followers of this board... We all do appreciate how nice you are to always answer our 'newbie' questions. I know that a Regent cruise is a major investment and you have high standards and high expectations.

We are very excited about taking our first Regent cruise (Alaska) this August. In fact, we have already started shopping for winter wear. Part of our excitment stems from the anticipation of the wonderful people we will meet. I guess that I look at these boards differently, and don't really feel that people are being highly negative; just critical of changes or customer service issues with such an expensive product.

The people that I have chatted with on this board have always made me feel welcome, and have gotten me very excited about making this investment with Regent.

{{{{Group Hug}}}} :D

Good one! I like that. Although we all are free to post experiences and opinions, positive and negative here, it's nice to remember that we are all talking about upscale leisure travel, and that we are all very lucky.

As for being a "newbie", I still consider myself one. My upcoming trip is only my tenth Regent cruise, which makes me a baby by many standards of hundreds of nights. Any little nuggets of knowledge will be happily shared, but few here are experts at this.

offer is now on the Regent website with a list of 2011 cruises that offer the Hotel night:

http://www.rssc.com/specials/details.aspx?SpecialId=790d7300-d9fd-4ea7-bd56-56781a385a2c

Wes,

Thanks for posting. My cruise in August is included, unfortunately, it has increased in price approx $400 per pax , $800 for the two of us. Therefore, if I have to pay the increase to get the "free" night, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Your very welcome Maria...am doing the same price calculus u are doing..for our Mariner TA next fall the new price is $300 more pp or $600 for the one night's hotel in Rome,

Believe we can do better even the port is a good distance (& about 100+euro from the airport).

Thank you AngieT2. While I won't deny I'm outspoken, I think people who know me would say I'm kind and read the lay of the land well. At least I hope they would. Looking forward to meeting you as well. We'll have fun. My avatar describes me well.

Speaking of SeaDream, although I've considered it for years, my husband and I are doing our first one in December. And if that's not enough to celebrate, I'm leaving Saturday for a Celebrity Caribbean cruise with my best friend of many many years to celebrate our birthdays. As Wendy the Wanderer just said, "we're all very lucky." Yes indeed.

Now back to the topic of this thread. I, like I'm sure most others here, always put a calculator to our vacation investments, and the calculator is what allows us to make an informed decision about "freebies," not what a marketing brochure says. For instance, for our Alaskan cruise next year we're taking the air credit because we're using points. Furthermore, it was a good use of points because of the price of the tickets had we purchased.

I think this "new" program sounds positive in general, but again, each adventure, regardless of the cruise line or vacation package, always finds me punching the buttons on my handy calculator.

Mimito4, I am looking forward to meeting you on our Alaska cruise! I get the feeling that you are spicey and fun, and just a bit outspoken, which are great qualities! I think that we have both been 'spoiled' by the warmth of the SeaDream boards! I have not cruised on SD, but after reading the boards for nearly a year, I would like to, just to meet the nice folks that I feel like I already know:)

Also, just a note to the rest of the loyal followers of this board... We all do appreciate how nice you are to always answer our 'newbie' questions. I know that a Regent cruise is a major investment and you have high standards and high expectations.

We are very excited about taking our first Regent cruise (Alaska) this August. In fact, we have already started shopping for winter wear. Part of our excitment stems from the anticipation of the wonderful people we will meet. I guess that I look at these boards differently, and don't really feel that people are being highly negative; just critical of changes or customer service issues with such an expensive product.

The people that I have chatted with on this board have always made me feel welcome, and have gotten me very excited about making this investment with Regent.

I really enjoy reading your posts. You are definitely an asset to the Regent board and understand where most of us are coming from.

Just a comment about your shopping for winter wear for Alaska. Alaska can be quite warm. On our first trip we packed only winter wear . . . it was between 75 - 85 in a couple of ports. I found myself shopping in the tourist stores for t-shirts. So, layers seems to be the key in Alaska. :)

Sorry, this is off topic. To get back on topic, no one disagrees that having the ability to arrive at your port destination a day early is a good thing. . . . the announcement simply did not make sense to those of us who have had this in the past.

I contacted our TA this morning by forwarding Regent's email announcement and asked him to see if this deal was available for our July 6 Black Sea cruise (we booked months ago, but the price hasn't increased). We have the deal on our booking already. It's a very nice perk as we are coming into Athens two nights ahead of time to allow for a little sightseeing, and having transfers taken care of is a nice feature. The hotel isn't specified yet but our TA said it's usually the Intercontinental, which has very good reviews. So in this case, Regent's all-inclusive strategy is really working to our benefit.

Hi TravelCat2,

Not to worry re: Winter Wear... I live in San Diego, so trying to find winter wear here is like trying to find the Lochness monster! Pretty much, Fleece pullover's from Lands End is my 'winter wear/wardrobe'.

We were in Alaska in July on Celebrity (in the Penthouse suite, it was yummy!) and it was COLD! (brrrr!!!)... I was thankful to have a coat, scarf and gloves. Since our Regent cruise will be the first week and half of early September, I'm thinking that it has a strong chance of being even colder.

Whatever! I'll just keep warm with Bailey's And Coffee, swapping stories with my new Regent friends and looking forward to La Veranda!

;)

I really enjoy reading your posts. You are definitely an asset to the Regent board and understand where most of us are coming from.

Just a comment about your shopping for winter wear for Alaska. Alaska can be quite warm. On our first trip we packed only winter wear . . . it was between 75 - 85 in a couple of ports. I found myself shopping in the tourist stores for t-shirts. So, layers seems to be the key in Alaska. :)

Sorry, this is off topic. To get back on topic, no one disagrees that having the ability to arrive at your port destination a day early is a good thing. . . . the announcement simply did not make sense to those of us who have had this in the past.

That is so wonderful that you are heading out in December on SeaDream. We will all be excited to hear your thoughts/impression of SD. We are heading out on Celebrity Summit in December (Southern Caribbean itin.), but I wish wish wish I was joining you on SD!

I know that we are all going to have an ABSOLUTE blast on Regent in Aug/Sept. The thing that struck me most odd (in a very wonderful way) on my July Celebrity Alaska cruise was what a GREAT mood my fellow passengers were in. I know that folks on a cruise are always in a good mood, but sometimes, not that talkative...Not on the Alaska cruise...Truly, you could not find a stranger on that cruise! Everyone was so friendly! I can only imagine if that was the mood on a mega ship, how fun and festive the mood on Regent will be! I wish my last name was "Gates" so we could do this monthly! Shoot!

Not complaining, AT ALL, just sharing...

I contacted my TA this morning to inquire about the change in fare, if I wanted to participate in the Regent hotel program.

Alaska Cruise, August 31, Category D

Fare would increase $600 PLUS $119 for transfers (TA stated that transfers are NOT included in the new Regent hotel program)

While I agree that this is a wonderful addition to Regent's all inclusive plan, I can definitely get from the YVR airport to my hotel for about $40, and stay in the Fairmont or Pan Pacific for under $250, so this is not an option I am going to go for on this cruise. I can definitely see where it comes in handy on Europe/Baltic/Med cruises, for those of us coming from North America.

Angie2, Your TA might mean the transfer from the airport to the hotel for cruise only passengers as Regent states:

"Offer applies to guests 1 and 2 only and includes breakfast, porterage and transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship. Cruise-only guests will receive a transfer from hotel to ship only. A city tour the day of embarkation is not included. A supplement of $300 per person applies for 3 or more guests. Guests sailing in Penthouse Suites and higher will receive an upgraded room or a more deluxe hotel property. Meals, laundry, telephone calls and other personal items, unless specifically noted, are not included and are the responsibility of the guest."

Why is it whenever someone does the math and comes up with a realistic conclusion that the free hotel is not really free he is accused of being negative to Regent? Having to pay $600 extra for your cruise for a room which Regent, buying in bulk, probably gets for $150 is not free. They raised their prices to offset the included shore excursions and are doing it again to offset the hotel rooms. For those who like the idea of having everything included fine. But it's just a marketing gimmick. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as we can all see it for what it is.

Why is it whenever someone does the math and comes up with a realistic conclusion that the free hotel is not really free he is accused of being negative to Regent? Having to pay $600 extra for your cruise for a room which Regent, buying in bulk, probably gets for $150 is not free. They raised their prices to offset the included shore excursions and are doing it again to offset the hotel rooms. For those who like the idea of having everything included fine. But it's just a marketing gimmick. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as we can all see it for what it is.

We seem to be agreeing alot lately == very interesting. Your conclusions certainly make sense to me.

Having to pay $600 extra for your cruise for a room which Regent, buying in bulk, probably gets for $150 is not free.

Well if this turns out to be true vis a vis 2010 versus 2011 prices, then it's another nail in the coffin of Regent pricing themselves out of our capabilities. But I'll wait and see how those prices compare--obviously for those who booked early, it's not a good deal.

Hi Mariners,

Yes, you're correct... Since I am in San Diego, it did not make sense to use Regent's air; so we just took the credit (besides, I am looking for ANY excuse to try Virgin America and they have a great route between SFO and SAN!). Thanks for 'splaining that $119 to me. :)

Angie2, Your TA might mean the transfer from the airport to the hotel for cruise only passengers as Regent states:

"Offer applies to guests 1 and 2 only and includes breakfast, porterage and transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship. Cruise-only guests will receive a transfer from hotel to ship only. A city tour the day of embarkation is not included. A supplement of $300 per person applies for 3 or more guests. Guests sailing in Penthouse Suites and higher will receive an upgraded room or a more deluxe hotel property. Meals, laundry, telephone calls and other personal items, unless specifically noted, are not included and are the responsibility of the guest."

Wripro,

Well Stated! Obviously, we are a smart bunch on these boards, and we can all do the math on the value of an 'included' hotel. I certainly am not coming across as negative, but sometimes, it does get under my skin, just a wee bit with all the heavy marketing going on out there with the faux '2 for 1' prices, included excursions (when we all know the really, really good excursions are going to cost you addt'l $$, anyway), etc.

I guess that, without trying to sound negative, because I am truly not being negative, I just wish that all of these marketing companies that do the glossy brochures and ad campaigns for these fabulous lines, would just treat us all like we have a brain and that we aren't a bunch of dummies that fall for faux 2 for 1 pricing, etc.etc. When I peel back the onion, that's what bugs me the most.

Oh well, I'll just make it up with the included spirits when I get on board in August!!!! Oh Bartender...another round, please! :)

Is there an opt-out feature with discount/refund with this initiative? That is, is it like the "free" excursions (for which there is no opt out?) or the "free air" (where there is a discount/refund if you decline to take the Regent package)?

Sure.

If you have not yet booked a cruise prior to October 1, or if you booked one of the cruises that did NOT have a fare increase on October 1, you can opt out of this new hotel policy and get back exactly what you would have paid for it.

If you DID book a cruise prior to October 1 and the fare did increase, you can opt out by not rebooking, and you will get back every penny of what you paid for the hotel stay.

See my answer above. What facts led you to conclude that the October 1 fare increase was due to the hotel program? Maybe it was the cruise that did NOT have a fare increase, even though they are also eligible for the hotel program?

I'm still waiting to see the facts that fares were increased due to the included excursions. Many forum members have posted that their fares did not increase when the program was introduced.

Many of the cruise lines advertise for passengers to book before a specific date as prices are going to increase by a specific date - Regent, Silversea, Seabourn have all sent me e-mails to this effect. Prices on all three of these lines have increased over the past few months and, according to the e-mails I receive, will continue to do so as the sailing date draws closer. This is good marketing and makes much more sense to me - if you want the best price, book early. Those people who have booked early on Regent can choose whether it is a better deal for them to stay with their original booking or take the new deal. Either way, it’s not negative as they get the best deal.

Since I booked the Safaga to Fort Lauderdale cruise for next year, the Safaga to Barcelona segment has increased by $200 per person. The Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale segment has not increased at all. Since I originally booked both segments, Regent has now included a three-night pre-cruise land adventure in Egypt at no additional cost. For those people who will be embarking in Barcelona, Regent will now be providing this new one night hotel inclusion at no extra cost. Travelcat, I believe you had stated that you are on this segment. You now have a choice of arriving a day early, still using the business Regent air, not paying any air deviation fee, receiving your transfers to the hotel from the airport and to the ship from the hotel, and also breakfast. Sounds like a good deal!

Angie2, yes, I saw where our Alaskan cruise has gone up by $600 (per stateroom). Obviously, like you, I will not opt to rebook at the higher price in order to get the hotel room. I'll just book ours directly. So glad now that I booked before the prices went up, regardless of what is now included. As Don said, that's one way to opt out of this new freebie.

We've never been to Vancouver, so we are arriving a day early to explore a bit. Would love to pick your brains about where to stay, etc. at some point. Could you e-mail me at cinciteresa at yahoo dot com?

And I realize this is not the thread, but still wanted to say that I'm so glad that all of you looking forward to getting on the Voyager have gotten some good, and somewhat definitive, news. Good on the Colonel and others for staying with the task. Best to you and a bon voyage!

I had my TA check into the cost/hotel for the "included luxury hotel" for one night in Ft. Lauderdale precruise. It would cost us $600 for one night at Embassy Suites and would not include airport transfers, just the port transfers, as we arranged our own air.

It seems to be costly for the product, at least in Ft.Lauderdale. Europe/Med would probably be a different story, but at this point, $600 seems to be awfully expensive for a chain hotel, breakfast (which I understand Embassy already includes anyway), and transfers. We will be paying much less for a boutique hotel that is elegant and quiet, not a hotel chain for the masses.

Thought those of you cruising out of FLL would like to know the hotel Regent is using for this package; I know I was curious!

Archived