Help us decide...Ruby TA or Coral Panama Canal

Cruise Junky

We're so on the fence about our cruise next May. We currently have an aft BB booked on Ruby for the 15 day crossing Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona. Some of the ports are repeats to us, some are new: Sardinia, Cadiz, Madiera. We've been to Europe several times and will definitely be returning.

What got us looking elsewhere was the insane one way airfare home. We booked cruise air, but that has now changed twice and I honestly don't trust it to not change again. Greatest fear we make final payment and then we end up with something with 3 stops in each direction.

Coral's panama canal is the same time frame, neither of us has done the canal and it ends up in our home port of Vancouver so we've only got the one way down to Ft. Lauderdale.

Price wise, not much in it, they are very comparable when you add in the air for Europe.

We like sea days, both have lots. Weather I'm sure will be hotter on the Panama canal cruise. I'm hesitant about Coral's itinerary as I don't think it's the best with not many stops. (May 4th, 2011 sailing vs. Ruby Princess, May 1st, 2011 sailing)

Anyone done both and can give advice?

I did the Coral Princess last January from LA to FLL, and a TA on the Crown Princess in September. While our Crown Princess cruise was great, I'd take the Coral again in a heartbeat. It's just plain a better cruising experience with fewer passengers. I've been to the three European ports you mention and if you've been to Europe before, they are not "must see" ports.

Hard choice.

We've done full Canal transit three times, and have done half dozen or so transAtlantics.

We also love sea days, but the Panama Canal is a fascinating experience.

If I had to make the choice, I would lean towards the Canal.

I did the Coral Princess last January from LA to FLL, and a TA on the Crown Princess in September. While our Crown Princess cruise was great, I'd take the Coral again in a heartbeat. It's just plain a better cruising experience with fewer passengers. I've been to the three European ports you mention and if you've been to Europe before, they are not "must see" ports.

We've been on Island twice and love her so yes, Coral's size is definitely in her favour.

We're so on the fence about our cruise next May. We currently have an aft BB booked on Ruby for the 15 day crossing Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona. Some of the ports are repeats to us, some are new: Sardinia, Cadiz, Madiera. We've been to Europe several times and will definitely be returning.

What got us looking elsewhere was the insane one way airfare home. We booked cruise air, but that has now changed twice and I honestly don't trust it to not change again. Greatest fear we make final payment and then we end up with something with 3 stops in each direction.

Coral's panama canal is the same time frame, neither of us has done the canal and it ends up in our home port of Vancouver so we've only got the one way down to Ft. Lauderdale.

Price wise, not much in it, they are very comparable when you add in the air for Europe.

We like sea days, both have lots. Weather I'm sure will be hotter on the Panama canal cruise. I'm hesitant about Coral's itinerary as I don't think it's the best with not many stops. (May 4th, 2011 sailing vs. Ruby Princess, May 1st, 2011 sailing)

Anyone done both and can give advice?

My husband and I did the Coral Princess from FLL to Vancouver several years ago when the itinerary included stops in Huatulco and Acapulco as well as Astoria, Oregon. It was a very nice cruise; there were plenty of sea days and when we ended we were well-rested. My daughter and I did the Ruby Princess transatlantic from FLL to Barcelona this past April19. We also enjoyed that cruise but we were exhausted at the end. All of your sea days are up front and nearly every day the clock is going forward an hour. By the 4th or 5th day our internal clocks were totally confused. I have done the westbound transatlantic from Venice to FLL for the last 3 years and much prefer that direction. I think both ships are beautiful. Oh, one other thing, I thought it was pretty chilly most of the sea days. My daughter went and sat out by the pool a few times but I never even set foot in the pool. I normally like to spend part of each sea day in the Sanctuary, but it was too chilly for that. I don't know if this helps you at all.

I would do the Panama Canal especially since it is the full transit. I've only gone in from the Caribbean as far as Gatun Lake and then back out. I like the itinerary you are considering very much and the sea days are well spread out. I hate flying to/from Europe and while I love cruising there (and have a Baltic booked for next May) the canal would be my choice.

I'd love to take a trans-Atlantic one day. We're doing a partial Panama Canal cruise at Christmas. My ideal for the trans-Atlantic would be in the fall. You get an extra hour each day coming home and lose an hour each night going to Europe. So my vote goes to the Coral.

I don't think that you will regret either choice, but it is really worth seeing the canal once in your life. I've only been on a partial transit of the canal - the full transit must be spectacular. The couple staying in the room next to us had been through the canal a few times before and opted to have breakfast served on their balcony as the Coral entered the locks. (If we ever go again that is what we will do!)

Both of the ships are fantastic. The Coral is smaller (and as many say feels less crowded) but we honestly didn't notice a difference on the Ruby. We had breakfast very early on the Ruby because we had early excursions so we never had trouble finding a table. We must have been eating at the same time as most people on the Coral because we always had trouble finding a table. A thousand different people will report a thousand different experiences. I would love to go on either ship again.

You can't just post that ;) you have to tell me why :) Plus I'm on the Ruby in two weeks.

I am a big Coral/Island fan but I also love the Ruby and the TA.

Since you are on the Ruby soon then maybe go ahead and do the Coral.

As stated you can't go wrong with either choice.

If it weren't for my computer moving about the speed of molasses in January, I'd look at the Coral itinerary since I don't know what you mean about not enough ports (which suits me fine, personally, but I do realize that some people like to get off the ship every once in a while!). Despite that, as long as you get the two-day Panama (i.e., the stop in Puerto Amador), I say go for the Panama Canal cruise, hands-down. While I think a TA is great and I loved my crossing, I completely agree witih those who say that the eastbound direction is less preferable. If it were a westbound TA, I'd say that's a tough choice but as it stands, I definitely vote unhesitatingly for the Canal cruise. Which is absolutely fabulous; a must-do. And the longer you wait to do it, the less it'll look like itself as construction continues apace on the new canal. I'd want to go soon while you can still see the "original," as it were.

Good luck with your decision.

Archived