escargot

shark5

One of my favorite appetizers! They are always a choice on French night in the Traditional dining.

Lately, that is the only time they are offered; however, usually requesting them from the headwaiter, will get them on other nights. I always get two orders! ;)

Pam,

Do you mean dead slugs with flavouring and spices? :D lol

Ciao for now!!!

Now you've gone and done it!!:(. The trying has ended before it could start. My feathers are showing their true colors, or my streak is glowing. Take you pick...but there will be no escargot tasting for me. Enjoy!

Now why did you have to remind me of those things creeping across my parents driveway in the Florida heat. :eek: Plus, they left a slimy trail. :eek::eek: That was the reason I never tried them.

Didn't you ever hear the phrase, "revenge is sweet"?

Or garlicy!

:D

It was not on our memu of 10 days South Caribbean Emerald cruise in October couple weeks ago despite our waiter and headwaiter told us it would be on the 2nd night.

However we could have it every night if we wanted through special ordering with the Head Waiter. We had them 3 different times and declined it 1 time when it was available for us but we decided not to have it.

Frankly they were not as tasty as before, smallish size on our first order, and very salty. When our head waiter came by to ask our feed back, we told him what we felt. Next time the size had improve, and the taste slightly less salty.

Head waiter needs to write the order on a chit and dates/signs it, then gives that to your waiter who in turn would give that to the kitchen - at least that has been the procedure I have observed. Oh, on one night our waiter had the chit but we told him to save it for next night, he said he couldn't because the chit was dated. He did offer to us that if we wanted tomorrow night he would go get a fresh one from the Head Waiter at that time.

I dont understand what the big deal is, to control the Escargot this way.

Frankly it was not as good as before in our previous cruises when it was a menu item.

Just got off the Emerald on Friday and Escargot did not make a menu appearance so we ordered it Wednesday night for dinner on Thursday. It was wonderful!!!

spyro1952,

:confused:Sorry I don't mean to be off topic here, but since you were on the Emerald last week, can you tell me if French Onion Soup was on the menu? I have heard it has not been the past few months. Just wondered if you were able to special order that too?

I would tell the head waiter but again, since I'm doing anytime dining, and probably wont get the same wait staff, I suspect that I won't be able to get the escargot every night.

thanks

sharkman

You can. The Anytime dining room has its own Headwaiters, each is responsible for a zone of the dining room. Since the waiters themselves have no authority to order it anyway, all you need is to inform the head waiter the day before and he would most likely tell you to inform your waiter the next day that you already spoke with him about that already. The waiter, regardless a new one, would know what to do.

We always choose Anytime Dining because this is the only way to have a table for 2. We cannot stand having a lot of tablemates and the dinner takes 3 hours because the waiter waits for everyone to have same course at the same time! We have been on Emerald several times and know exactly which tables we prefer in the Anytime dining rooms. We headed to the MDR on first day afternoon during the Matre D's hours and requested a specific table in either the Michaelangelo or the Davinci for the whole cruise and request was gladly granted. 480 / 81, or 280 /81 are a pair of tables for 2 along side the wall on the deep inside of the dining room - true table for 2, not the bench style, and the area is quieter as one side is a wall. There is a table for 6 between them and the window, a work station on the other side, and a table for 8 or 10 (forgot) nearby that only was used a few nights out of the whole cruise length but all the guests were gone by the time we went for our dinner at 8:15pm.

spyro1952,

:confused:Sorry I don't mean to be off topic here, but since you were on the Emerald last week, can you tell me if French Onion Soup was on the menu? I have heard it has not been the past few months. Just wondered if you were able to special order that too?

It wasn't on our 10/09 to 10/19 sailing but again you can order it day before.

It's the garlic butter sauce it comes in that makes it so delicious.

That's what I keep hearing...but I'll put bread in my garlic butter sauce. :rolleyes:

I just can't handle the idea of eating the snails in our garden which are the same type. Although that didn't stop my grandpa...I think he'd "clean" them out with a type of "diet" before dining on them. :(

But my wife sure enjoys them! ;)

It wasn't on our 10/09 to 10/19 sailing but again you can order it day before.

Wow, no escargots or french onion soup on French night anymore? What on earth are they now serving? Oh wait, that still leaves the frog leg appetizer... (blech) or is that gone now too?

Wow, no escargots or french onion soup on French night anymore? What on earth are they now serving? Oh wait, that still leaves the frog leg appetizer... (blech) or is that gone now too?

There was no French night if I recall it correctly. In fact I dont remember we have any theme night, may be a night that barely resembled an Italian night.

There was a night called Chef's night or something like that.

On the August 9th sailing of the Ruby there was Escargot on the menu one night, French Onion Soup one night, and Frog's Legs one night.

Tried the escargot and french onion soup, but not the frogs legs. They were both great. (odd how I can eat a slug but the idea of frogs legs makes my face turn green.:D)

We also do "anytime dining" but find that if we show up at the dining room at roughly the same time each night we usually end up with the same table (for 2) with the same waiter for the duration of the cruise. In our two separate cruises on two different Princess ships (5 years apart) we had the same head waiter for both. (Godwin at the DaVinci dining room is fantastic - he even remembered us!)

You can. The Anytime dining room has its own Headwaiters, each is responsible for a zone of the dining room. Since the waiters themselves have no authority to order it anyway, all you need is to inform the head waiter the day before and he would most likely tell you to inform your waiter the next day that you already spoke with him about that already. The waiter, regardless a new one, would know what to do.

We always choose Anytime Dining because this is the only way to have a table for 2. We cannot stand having a lot of tablemates and the dinner takes 3 hours because the waiter waits for everyone to have same course at the same time! We have been on Emerald several times and know exactly which tables we prefer in the Anytime dining rooms. We headed to the MDR on first day afternoon during the Matre D's hours and requested a specific table in either the Michaelangelo or the Davinci for the whole cruise and request was gladly granted. 480 / 81, or 280 /81 are a pair of tables for 2 along side the wall on the deep inside of the dining room - true table for 2, not the bench style, and the area is quieter as one side is a wall. There is a table for 6 between them and the window, a work station on the other side, and a table for 8 or 10 (forgot) nearby that only was used a few nights out of the whole cruise length but all the guests were gone by the time we went for our dinner at 8:15pm.

Thanks very much for the information.. Looks like I'll get my escargot every night..

sharkman

spyro1952,

Just back from the Grand and, yes, French Onion soup was served at least once. So perhaps it is making a comeback in the fleet.

Last week on the Emerald I told the two Escargot lovers in our group of 14 that they could get it everynight if they liked (thanks to Princess-Secrets tip)....They were shocked! They spoke to our head waiter and not only did they have it available the very next night....they gave it to our whole group....I had it before (not impressed)...but after I stuck my seeded bread into the garlic butter I was hooked! We didn't even have to ask for it....we would show up and they would say...escargot tonight for everyone.....??...We all eat it about 5 or 6 nights on our 10 day cruise. The ones who didn't care for it (2 people)...passed it around and the rest of us divided it up. The french onion soup was on the menu.....I never saw the escargot on the menu the whole 10 days!

Archived