Christmas gifts for ship's crew - suggestions?

keels81

I am leaving next week on a Carnival cruise that extends through Christmas. I will bring a few wrapped presents for staff members... Knowing they have little space to store "junk", I opted for something useful... A wallet stuffed with Two Dollar Bills... The wallet is small and if nothing else, the staff member can use it to "re-gift". The Two Dollar Bills are unusual and are always well received as tips -- plus, they are cash!

Be careful with two dollar bills. There are many countries that feel they are counterfiet and will not accept them, so they are not really considered cash by some. Many countries won't accept torn or worn bills as well.

Thanks for stressing this, Darcie. It only takes a few minutes of your time to get an Attention to Detail card from Guest Relations, fill it out, and submit it. I pick up a handful at the beginning of the cruise.

Now I am disappointed! Just back from b2b 27 day cruise on celebrity and didnt use the "Attention To Deail" cards left in the room one day on each portion of the cruise. We cruise on Princess a lot more than Celebrity and they have individual employee recognition cards available which we make a point of using. The wording on Celebrity's "Attention to Detail" cards implies that they are to bring up any problems that they would like to fix BEFORE the cruise ends and we certainly had no such problems.

Now I am thinking that I didnt think the "Atttention to Detail"cards through enough and we should have used them for praise. We have gotten so that we almost always give just a little extra in an envelope to the two room stewards and the two waiters. Their service is almost always over the top.

Remember that gifting is very culture specific. In western cultures, gifts are often objects that tend to have sentimental value. In Asian cultures, gifts are either rare food items or cash. Mostly cash. For example for Asian weddings, the appropriate gift is cash. And for every asian holiday, the gift is almost always cash. So don't ever think that giving cash is impersonal or not really a gift. That's a western mentality.

I must agree with the majority and say Cash is King. It is very much appreciated. Tat being said, what we always do is mention each staff member that serves us by NAME in the questioneer to management both halfway through the cruise and at the end. That is, as mentioned above, how the staff get raises and promotions.

$2.00 bills can be a pain to spend, particularly outside of the US.

Calling cards may not work for all countries and many crew members now use Skype or the like.

Space for them is at a premium. Extra gratuities and positive feedback are the best options.

Cash is great. But if you have every seen the crew light up when that Celebrity Santa Guy gives them a hat, watch, jewelry, etc. you might feel differently. If you have the luggage room...

I always give the crew gifts at Christmas. I prefer to give them ties, socks and underwear, just like I used to get from my children. Occasionally I will even splurge and give them a tasty fruitcake instead, or religious ornaments to put on their Christmas tree. They are so amazed when they open their gift (I insist that they do so in my presence). I love to see the look of surprise on their faces. It makes me feel so much like the good Christian I am convinced I am.

Everybody else gives them cash - something you will not be remembered for. I give them real gifts that they will always remember me for.

Edited by SantaFeFan

With all due respect, the $2 bill idea is not a good one. Since the crew spends so much time out of the US, many, many countries won't accept them and see them as fake. Heck, I've had problems using them here in the US.

Well with the same all due respect, my husband and I love $2 bills and use them all the time with no issues. So I guess it depends. But that is in the US, I do not have experience using them outside the US so those posters that mentioned it might be a problem, could have a point.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

Hiya!

My family and I are traveling on the Century out of Miami over Christmas.

I was hoping to bring small gifts to give to members of the staff (bartenders, waiters, housekeepers, etc.) over our trip as a token of gratitude.

When we spent Christmas in the D.R. a couple of years ago, I gave our AI waitstaff Sammy Sosa t-shirts with some cash as a Christmas gift. So I've been trying to come up with similar ideas that would be good for people that stay in such a small amount of space. Having not cruised in years, I don't know what the needs/wants/luxuries might be.

Help?

my boyfriend's mother bought cans of gum, like orbit. In the middle of the gum, she stuck $100 bills for each of her children inside the gum canister, then wrapped them up. A nontraditional moneyholder, of sorts.

I'm not sure if you wanted to give that much, but an original way to tip.

Well with the same all due respect, my husband and I love $2 bills and use them all the time with no issues. So I guess it depends. But that is in the US, I do not have experience using them outside the US so those posters that mentioned it might be a problem, could have a point.

Ever watch what a clerk at the cash register ends up doing with a $2 bill? Most likely, they haven't seen one before and will look at it with a puzzled expression on their face, then pause while they figure out where to put the darn thing. Ultimately, they'll put it under the cash tray with the odd $50 and $100 bills. Occasionally, I have seen a clerk call for the supervisor for what to do with them. They are out of the normal routine, and if the clerk is very busy and trying to process a long line of customers, it only complicates the payment process.

Hardly "no issue" in my opinion.

Edited by sloopsailor

Last time we were on a Christmas cruise we gave small stockings to staff who had served us. In each was a chocolate santa, a holiday ornament from our state, and cash. Also, we randomly handed out small stockings in which were ten dollar notes to people we saw cleaning the public toilets, stairways, and decks.

Last time we were on a Christmas cruise we gave small stockings to staff who had served us. In each was a chocolate santa, a holiday ornament from our state, and cash. Also, we randomly handed out small stockings in which were ten dollar notes to people we saw cleaning the public toilets, stairways, and decks.

Fact: most religions (e.g. Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism) don't recognize Christmas as they believe it is an ancient Christian festival. Considering where most of the crew come from, I would guess that for the majority of them Christmas is not a holiday they celebrate.

The chocolate Santa and your state's holiday ornament are inappropriate gifts for most of the crew. The cash is perfect, however. Instead of wasting your money on, and their time throwing out, your symbols of Christmas, just give them the cash you spent to purchase them. Why force your religious or secular beliefs on them?

Edited by swsfrail

Giving a gift is a personal thing for the giver.

I say give whatever you want to give. As far as religion if they don’t celebrate Christmas tell them you do and let them know because you do this is a way for you to give to them because of your religion.

I live in a very multiple cultural place. I never let that stop my Christmas and people that I share it with are grateful. They in turn share with me what they believe in.

:)

Great post. :)

I say give whatever you want to give. As far as religion if they don’t celebrate Christmas tell them you do and let them know because you do this is a way for you to give to them because of your religion.

I live in a very multiple cultural place. I never let that stop my Christmas and people that I share it with are grateful. They in turn share with me what they believe in.

like.png

Odd that someone would copy a November 2010 post taken from an unrelated thread without indicating where it came from. :confused:

As to gift giving, my parents taught me that the act of giving a gift should be for the benefit of the recipient, not for the giver.

I guess that my beliefs are more in line of helping others rather than helping myself. :rolleyes:

Edited by swsfrail

I keep imagining a tiny deck zero cabin with four room stewards sharing, full of cheap hats, t-shirts and dollar store pens. :p

Now toss in a few tins of cookies, a dozen fruit cakes (that nobody wants here) and ten pounds of chewing gum. :cool:

Maybe they'd appreciate a recite for a charitable donation made in their honour to a good cause. ;)

:p:p

Better yet. Why limit it to just Christmas. Instead of cash tips, reward the hard working staff with presents year round! Think of the looks on their faces when they get that pair of XXL Sweat Pants for a job well done next Med cruise.

:rolleyes:

A framed picture of you and your family. The sneaky way would be to also hide a $100 check on the backside. If they cash it you will know that they took it out of the box before pitching it.

They could also use the frame for one of their own pictures and keep yours behind it.

.🎅🎄

And remember, most of the hard working crew members do come from parts of the world where their religion does not recognize Christmas.

Cash is always good as a gift.

Wow this was pulled out of your back end. I would love to hear where you got such an educated comment from.

Money. Money, Money!

If you think giving cash is impersonal and want to give a "gift" then simply wrap the cash as a gift...colorful tissue or wrapping paper and let them have the thrill of unwrapping a surprise.

I pack a few pieces of colorful tissue paper (weighs nothing), a roll of tape and a bag of chocolate kisses. I grab cards from the guest relations desk when I get on board and write a nice note to the staff member. Voila! A "gift" they can unwrap, $omething they really want AND a nice note for their file.

If you think giving cash is impersonal and want to give a "gift" then simply wrap the cash as a gift...colorful tissue or wrapping paper and let them have the thrill of unwrapping a surprise.

I pack a few pieces of colorful tissue paper (weighs nothing), a roll of tape and a bag of chocolate kisses. I grab cards from the guest relations desk when I get on board and write a nice note to the staff member. Voila! A "gift" they can unwrap, $omething they really want AND a nice note for their file.

Very nice idea. I've never cruised over Christmas, but if I do, I think I will steal your idea for giving those additional tips out.

I think cash is the best thing to give. I would never give a Christmas ornament because (1) they might not celebrate Christmas and I wouldn't want to offend them or give them something they would have no use for at all, (2) wouldn't want to push my religious beliefs on anyone and (3) don't think they would have a tree in their cabin, thus they would have to store it and since they have very little space, I would imagine it will be thrown away. I would never give personal items, underwear, etc., because of sizing and knowing that people are particular on what they wear, I know I am. I am sure, no matter what one would give a crew member during the holiday, they will be excited to get something no matter if they can use it or not....after all, doesn't everyone get excited about getting a gift...I know I do!

Edited by NLH Arizona

Wow this was pulled out of your back end. I would love to hear where you got such an educated comment from.

If you would take a minute and do even a rudimentary amount of research, you would quickly learn that people of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism faiths don't celebrate Christmas. Those religions amount to the majority of the world's population.

Making foolish comments like yours makes you the "back end" you referred to.

Fact: most religions (e.g. Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism) don't recognize Christmas as they believe it is an ancient Christian festival. Considering where most of the crew come from, I would guess that for the majority of them Christmas is not a holiday they celebrate. . . Why force your religious or secular beliefs on them?

My workplace is very diverse -- many from India, Turkey, Eastern Europe. As a result we have folks with Jewish, Hindu, Islam, Western-rites Christains, Eastern-rites Christains, Buddists.

• When my Catholic boss treated the department to a holiday-themed breakfast, the Buddist and Hindus participated.
  • When the lead contractor from India got together with his Hindi friends at work and put on a "pig out" (his words) for Holi. I participated (even bringing in a curried carrot slaw from a recipe I had gotten from a former co-worker).
  • I was not "offended" when I got a plastic Easter egg filled with milk chocolates -- I am Eastern Orthodox and that year Pascha (Orthodox Easter) was celebrated three weeks later.
  • Growing up a German-Irish Catholic in a Dutch Catholic town - I appreciated my friends tradition of putting out a wooden shoe for St.Nick even though I put up a stocking for him. I still make construction paper stockings and put in a candy cane for the folks on my team for St.Nick's day even though in this part of the country NO ONE celebrates St.Nick's day.
  • The Brits, South Africans, and the Costa Rican who were our tablemates two years back on our Med cruise over American Thanksgiving -- gamely tried the special Thanksgiving dinner and asked us all sorts of questions about the holiday.

One of the reasons many of us travel is to experience new things and different cultures. Sharing my traditions with others may make them better appreciate my culture. A holiday greeting and a small token is not an outragous gesture. It is a small kindess that most folks in the hospitality industry will likely appreciate in the spirit in which it is given.

People relate to their religious beliefs differently. I have no problem celebrating others religious holidays or celebrations, but that does not go for everyone.

Where I worked, two of the employees practiced the Jehovah's Witness religion and could not attend the Christmas party (nor any other holiday celebration, birthday party, etc.), even if we changed it to a holiday party nor could they accept the company Christmas/holiday gift, because of their religion. I have a personal trainer who also follows the Jehovah's Witness religion and I would love to give him a holiday gift, but I know that under his religion he could not accept it. I hope I will be appropriate, as I will give him a thank you gift come the first of the year; if not I'm sure he will educate me, since he is very open in discussing his religion with me.

The reason I travel is to experience different cultures and religions. I study up on them before my trips overseas and ask a lot of questions about them while I'm there. I think sometimes people are more happy to see that we are interested and excited to learn about their religious and cultural beliefs, than they are us educating them on ours. Maybe I'm too PC.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Whoa Doggies!!!:eek:

It's Christmas... :D

How about this:

We all know that crew is there to earn Money and they work hard for it.

We also know nothing about what "physical item" any individual may, or may not, need or desire.

So how about a thoughtful hand made card, best ones would be from a child (your son, daughter, niece, nephew, some random neighborhood scamp) thanking them and wishing them a wonderful New Year with a bit of cash attached.

Card is universal and shows thought, cash lets them buy themselves a little extra or send more home to the bank or family.

Everybody is happy! :D

Edited by A Sixth?