Not using THAT TA again

soccerfootballmom

:mad: Just called HAL to inform them that I got a set of cruise docs, but my best friend, who I'm going with, received nothing (I received both tickets). They told me the request had to come from the TA, since that's who we went through. I called up the TA and was informed they only sent 1 set out because that's how they keep their costs so low...give me a break!! After much debate with them, they agreed to call HAL and get another set sent out, but what a joke!!

I think I'll book through HAL from now on. Based on the latest e-mail I got, they're offering just as good, if not better prices than alot of online agencies right now :) Does anyone else book directly through HAL, or do use mainly use TAs?

I definitely use a TA. Personally, HAL has never matched the rate I get thru a TA. Only line where it doesn't matter is Celebrity and RCL because they won't discount anymore.

When I booked for both ourselves and our friends, I made it very clear up front that their docs were to go to them and ours to us (we live in different cities). I confirmed this a number of times before the final docs were sent out and they did just as we requested.

I definitely use a TA. Personally, HAL has never matched the rate I get thru a TA. Only line where it doesn't matter is Celebrity and RCL because they won't discount anymore.

When I booked for both ourselves and our friends, I made it very clear up front that their docs were to go to them and ours to us (we live in different cities). I confirmed this a number of times before the final docs were sent out and they did just as we requested.

Well, based on what you said, I guess it's my fault!! That's what happens I guess when you've never done this before...you live and learn ;)

Interesting that almost everyone has gotten way better prices through a TA rather than HAL directly...guess I'll just be clearer next time :o

Well, based on what you said, I guess it's my fault!! That's what happens I guess when you've never done this before...you live and learn ;)

Interesting that almost everyone has gotten way better prices through a TA rather than HAL directly...guess I'll just be clearer next time :o

My wife and her friend cruised together in October. They only received one set of docs. Since they drove to the cruise together it was no big deal. I have heard others say they just met their traveling companions at the pier with the tickets. First I ever heard of different sets of docs for the same booking.

Bill :)

First I ever heard of different sets of docs for the same booking.

Bill :)

Well, this is the first I've ever heard of someone getting one set of docs for the same booking. We frequently cruise with our kids and everyone receives their own docs... in their own HAL wallet, shore excursion booklet, luggage tags, etc.

I would not want to have my docs combined with anyone else's... :confused:

Is there some confusion here when it comes to the words "set of docs".

We have always gotten one wallet for my husband and me. Inside it are 2 separate "cruise documents": one with his name and one with mine. Then there is only one shore excursion booklet, several luggage tags, 2 pins, etc. But it's all in one wallet.

So, Laura, are you saying that your DH gets a wallet, you get a wallet and each child does as well? It makes no sense that HAL would do it one way for some and differently for others.

Unless, of course, there's always the chance that when you use a TA who mails them, to save money on postage they take everything out and put it into one wallet. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Soccerfootballmom, it's certainly not your "fault"! How would you know? I don't know about you, but I learn all this stuff either by experience or from these boards.

I booked my 3/31/05 cruise on the Maasdam directly through HAL. There was less than a $50 difference in price between HAL and the online TAs. I received my docs 4 days after I made final payment. I was even able to talk my way into a C cabin on the verandah deck, which HAL was reluctant to do as it is a triple and I'm solo. Everyone I've spoke with at HAL has been very professional and friendly.

I think there is some confusion here as this has happened to me recently.

I was the group leader on the November 20, 2004 Cruise Critic cruise aboard the Jewel of the Seas and another CC member booked into my cabin. We were not related and were not traveling together to the port. She lives in CA and I live in FL. Well, RCI sent one set of docs to me! The TA called and got it straightened out right away. A few days later she received her own set of docs. Not a big deal really and certainly not enough of a problem to make me book direct with the cruise line. Especially since they were the ones that made the error. Also, as others have mentioned the TA price is almost always lower....

So, Laura, are you saying that your DH gets a wallet, you get a wallet and each child does as well? It makes no sense that HAL would do it one way for some and differently for others.

I guess I should clarify - sorry. We have received on wallet with docs for each person even though we all had the same booking number and cabin. Since the second cruise with the kids, we requested one wallet for DH & I and one seperate one for both kids (even though we are all in the same cabin) and our TA seperates the contracts abd embarkations docs and puts them in their own envelope within the wallet. We usually get three excursion booklets (which is plenty) and we end up with tons of luggage tags...

I read the previous posters to say that they are combining docs for two people who are not related but still traveling together... maybe I misinterpreted it.... :confused:

I can't believe a TA would only send one set of docs! I mean, I do believe you - but that's ridiculous.

Here is what we always get.... and this is for each person traveling

http://community.webshots.com/album/277403615sHXNFY

WoW! That's enlightening!! The "docs" I received contained 1 of everything except her ticket was included, I received 2 embarkation questionares, as well as 4 Zaandam luggage tags all wrapped up in one document holder. BTW, my TA did NOT send me the "word of thanks" that you appeared to get. Now I don't feel so bad asking them to send her her own set of docs;) She's asking me what there is to do, and what info I've received, and there is ALOT of information to be had from the shore excursion pamphlet, etc.. Especially since we are both first time cruisers!!

Soccerfootballmom -

You should ask for extra shore excursion booklets, for sure. What itinerary/sailing are you on? Half the "pre-boarding" fun is looking over everything and getting excited. :)

Our TA always sends us a bottle of wine and some shipboard credit - that is what is in the "word of thanks" and we always appreciate it.

This is one reason why I prefer booking with a "bricks and mortar" TA rather than just anyone. She always takes really good care of us - we get great prices, especially for repeat business - and we know if something goes wrong, she will fix it for us asap.

Soccerfootballmom -

You should ask for extra shore excursion booklets, for sure. What itinerary/sailing are you on? Half the "pre-boarding" fun is looking over everything and getting excited. :)

Our TA always sends us a bottle of wine and some shipboard credit - that is what is in the "word of thanks" and we always appreciate it.

This is one reason why I prefer booking with a "bricks and mortar" TA rather than just anyone. She always takes really good care of us - we get great prices, especially for repeat business - and we know if something goes wrong, she will fix it for us asap.

ROFL!! A bottle of wine AND shipboard credit? Really have to find a new TA!! I booked through an online agency...our local TA couldn't begin to touch the price...$500 diff/pp. And I totally agree...only I'd have to say 90% of the "pre-boarding" fun is looking over everything!! lol...you gotta remember this is our first cruise!! We're two married women who have two children who have never been anywhere without the hubbies and kiddies, so I guess that's the other 10% for us!! But knowing how much fun I've been having looking over everything, it just seems she's being robbed of the doc dance ;) I'm not telling her that I've requested she get sent her own know before you go, shore excursions, etc., cuz I'm not sure I totally believe they're going to send it to her even though the TA said he would.

Must add one thing again, if I haven't said it already, HAL services were VERY friendly and helpful :)

Oh, we're on the Zaandam 3/19 cruise to e. car. Haven't ready any neg reviews on her, which is nice:) And she just went through SOE, so I'm looking forward to seeing if the beds are really heavenly!!

Hi Soccermom,

We are on the same cruise. I did book through HAL, but being only 2 months out, we got exactly the same price quoted by the online TAs. I actually tried to book that way and kept getting kicked out for availability issues. Booking through Hal was very simple and HAL was very nice. I would always compare in the future, but timing can make a difference. We did, by the way, get 5 sets of docs. Overkill in our situation!:)

Our documents arrived from our TA with 3 blue wallets. We have 2 cabins booked. Our DD's are teenagers and we booked one adult with each daughter. My daughter, who has a different last name received her own wallet, I received a wallet and my DH and his DD received one wallet. We received the blue document holder that says Holland America. I wonder why are document arrived differently?

Must add one thing again, if I haven't said it already, HAL services were VERY friendly and helpful :)

Oh, we're on the Zaandam 3/19 cruise to e. car. Haven't ready any neg reviews on her, which is nice:) And she just went through SOE, so I'm looking forward to seeing if the beds are really heavenly!!

soccerfootballmom -

What a great treat this cruise will be! I'm glad to hear HAL Ship Services are taking care of you - we leave 3/20 on the Volendam and can hardly wait! If you don't get an Eastern Caribbean Shore Excursion booklet, let me know and I will mail you (or your friend) one of ours - we got three and don't really need them.

You can email me at lskerr@comcast.net if you need a booklet and I will be happy to pop it in the mail.

Archived