Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

How many Splendor class ships are there in the fleet or worldwide? I am thinking not many.

There are already plenty of generators onboard. I know on Miracle there were six diesel generators, with three each on a separate electrical grid.

If they have both grids damaged that may explain the 2 knots. Heck, the current is probably pushing them south at that rate.

The "Splendor" is the only ship of this class sailing with a Carnival funnel.

It is a Costa ship (there are two sister ships I think) with a Carnival funnel stuck on it...which is why it is the only Carnival ship like it.

The "Splendor" is the only ship of this class sailing with a Carnival funnel.

It is a Costa ship (there are two sister ships I think) with a Carnival funnel stuck on it...which is why it is the only Carnival ship like it.

Yep... she was originally supposed to be a Costa Concordia Class vessel but Carnival needed the hull more than Costa...

:)

They are creeping along at 2 knots, so it will be a VERY long night for alot of passengers.

Dave

If they are only doing 2 knots, it will take days to get back to Long Beach. I wouldn't doubt they will take it into Ensenada to unload the passengers. Looking at the map it seems the Splendor was about 250 miles or more from LB when this happened. The last time I was on the Splendor we sailed at 18 - 19 knots (18K = 20 mph) and in 13 hours that would be about 250 nm. (more if you convert to miles)

If they are only doing 2 knots, it will take days to get back to Long Beach. I wouldn't doubt they will take it into Ensenada to unload the passengers. Looking at the map it seems the Splendor was about 250 miles or more from LB when this happened. The last time I was on the Splendor we sailed at 18 - 19 knots (18K = 20 mph) and in 13 hours that would be about 250 nm. (more if you convert to miles)

Although I don't know for sure I'd guess that the 2 knots was initial motion. The rudders aren't even effective below three knots...

Don't think so it is crawling @ 2 knots. Minimal electicity at best.

2 knots to me would indicate 1 main generator is running and they are probably trying to get more going, if possible.

Usually 1 generator can supply all the electricity the ship needs for lights etc.

Looks like there are 6 generators on Splendor, so 5 can supply everything including propulsion and 1 would be a hot spare.

If they have only one generator running, they would have 20% power.

They won't be going back to Long Beach.

I imagine as soon as they can hook up the tugs they will take her to the nearest suitable port and bus the pax back.

I can't even imagine the logistics of trying to coordinate whatever they do, especially if it involves busing 3,000 customers and luggage across a border.

2 knots to me would indicate 1 main generator is running and they are probably trying to get more going, if possible.

Usually 1 generator can supply all the electricity the ship needs for lights etc.

Looks like there are 6 generators on Splendor, so 5 can supply everything including propulsion and 1 would be a hot spare.

If they have only one generator running, they would have 20% power.

Maybe, or perhaps the 2 knots represent drift speed from the current/wind? That seems likely as at that low of a speed I don't believe steering is possible. It has been 9 hours since the fire was put out so it me it seems unlikely they will get going under her own power. Tugs are enroute and can only push that vessel at a real slow speed. If Ensenada is the destination I would suspect it will take nearly a full day to get there once the tugs are onscene.

If the source for the 2 knots is from the webcam data, then not sure how reliable that is, anyway.

It also is giving a heading of 169,74 degrees which is definitely not in the general direction of California and closer to heading South.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/webcams/Carnival/carnivalSplendorWebcams.htm

If the winds are really 0 knots, then it is not the wind pushing the ship.

I am certainly glad everyone is safe!!

Do you know what happens to the folks who paid for this cruise and then the next couple that are canceled?

Do they get to pick another cruise for their same deposit.

Do they just lose their money??Wow, what a mess!!:eek:

I am certainly glad everyone is safe!!

Do you know what happens to the folks who paid for this cruise and then the next couple that are canceled?

Do they get to pick another cruise for their same deposit.

Do they just lose their money??Wow, what a mess!!:eek:

No, they won't loose their money. Since Carnival will be the one to cancel the cruise the passengers will get full credit for their voyage and I suspect an additional incentive to rebook.

John Heald so after a long long day we finally set sail. I am hoping for an incident free cruise but........since being here I cant remember one where something or nsomeone strange hasnt happened. Lets see what this cruise brings. Hope you will join me here and on the blog for another brilliant cruise

wywh

Oh John it's time to leave California on the first plane to the UK..Thank god your girls left a few weeks back..It all started on your blog from the night you landed @ LAX and wrote your first blog entry titled "Hotel California"....God's Speed to everyone aboard

That webcam data is not valid since it hasn't been updated for quite a while. When they lost power all the unnecessary equipment is shut down. Even the AIS ship's data site doesn't show the Splendor since it isn't reporting data.

Perhaps. Amazing coincidence that it shows the 2 knots speed. The ship might well be still drifting in no particular direction.

2 cents here from a retired engineer, if the fire got into much of the electrical system the repairs and certifications will take considerable more time than 2-3 weeks. Possible to run into months.

Lets hope its a simple fix.

As far as tug costs, the ship would have to be moved to dry dock and one could assume that will be in the US.

Just glad everyone is ok.

Archived