Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

We are scheduled on the Splendor on November 28. We've paid for one shore excursion through the cruise line. We've also reserved a hotel room for the night before we cruise. All of this can be re-scheduled. It would be a pain to change the dates, etc. but it is a far cry from those who are currently on this ship. We have friends who are on the ship right now. I know that they must be feeling so crushed right now.

If the Splendor limps home to Long Beach, where would dry dock take place? Would they try to do the majority of repairs at dockside then take her to dry dock, if necessary? I haven't seen a ship that size in dry dock in the Port of LB or LA since the Navy left. Just curious.

NASSCO in San Diego

As a former flight attendant I can tell you that in a situation like this booze is the last thing you want to be providing passengers. There are too many safety variables and while most folks get peaceful with liquor there are some that get irrational and violent.

Water and soft drinks is all that I believe that should be served for now.

I was on a Navy ship when we caught fire 200 miles off shore. There had been a leak and shaft alley filled up with fuel and ignited. It took a couple hours to fight but there wasn't much damage to the ship. The bearing that got hot and started the fire was replaced, unfortunately that was on the main shaft and they had to split the back of the ship open to replace it, but we were back in the water in a couple weeks like nothing had ever happened.

It's going to take some time before they know the extent of the damage.

As a former flight attendant I can tell you that in a situation like this booze is the last thing you want to be providing passengers. There are too many safety variables and while most folks get peaceful with liquor there are some that get irrational and violent.

Water and soft drinks is all that I believe that should be served for now.

Good Point. The 10% ruin it for the 90%. Hoping for the best in people and their vacations!

NASSCO in San Diego

It doesn't look like NASSCO is large enough if a dry dock is actually needed.

A 1,000-foot long, 174-foot wide graving dock with a lift capacity of 30,000 long tons

An 820-foot long, 136-foot wide floating drydock with an ABS-certified lift capacity of 44,000 long tons

Wow...for a ship that's only 2 years old she sure has had a lot of problems...You'd think with the amount of money they've spent on her they'd make sure she's really sound.

Fire can happen on even the best maintained ships. It is something all mariners train to deal with constantly.

Reminds me of a flight to Mexico once... we saw our bags being loaded and then unloaded, and the plane was taken away. A few hours later a replacement plane arrived. We boarded that one and it filled with smoke while still at the gate and we evacuated. Finally came plane #3 and we made it safely aloft.

We got a voucher for future air travel and the best part... open bar on the plane the whole time! That was one happy plane when we got there! Great idea... I do think withholding alcohol is a very bad idea unless there is a true danger (which there does not appear to be any on the Splendor.)

That's kinda stupid and unprofessional if the Cruise Director would make a comment "I am hoping for an incident free cruise but . . .since being here I can't remember one where something or someone strange hasn't happened."

Seriously? Everything from the Cruise Director should be positive. I wouldn't call that positive as it seems there has been other incidents on that cruise ship.

We are always told.. watch out what you say in public about your job! You could be fired ! Making a comment about problems from incidents on the ship your on isnt good for business.

Now the fire probably could happen on any ship from anything at anytime.

That's kinda stupid and unprofessional if the Cruise Director would make a comment "I am hoping for an incident free cruise but . . .since being here I can't remember one where something or someone strange hasn't happened."

Seriously? Everything from the Cruise Director should be positive. I wouldn't call that positive as it seems there has been other incidents on that cruise ship.

We are always told.. watch out what you say in public about your job! You could be fired ! Making a comment about problems from incidents on the ship your on isnt good for business.

Now the fire probably could happen on any ship from anything at anytime.

That's a comment from his blog, not an announcement on board!

;)

A friend of mine just called me about an hour ago. He is listening to his marine radio on his boat. He can hear whats going on with the Splender. He said that the Splender is on fire again. Well, it was when he called anyway.

He also told me that the cutter out of San Diego was just pulling out of the harbor.

I'm sure John was meaning people with strange names he calls on in the audience, people being left behind, and bizarre people he meets on board.

I was on the Oct 24 sailing and all the above happened or partially staged, still not sure on that. It was my favorite recent cruise. First one in the mid eighties was a bit better but with inflation figured in about four to five times as much.

Glad all are safe and hope she gets back up and running. I may go on her again in the not to distant future. Also if anyone can keep it light it is John. So far my favorite CD.

There's really very little that's flammable in the engine room... it's all steel... other than the fuel itself with is just barely flammable.

Uh, actually at the right temperture the fuel is VERY flammable. I take it you have never seen a fuel oil (heavy or diesel) close up. I have. Incredible heat and smoke is generated, which will wreak havoc with the steel, wiring, controls, etc. Too early to speculate, but she will most proabably be out of service for a week at least.

Just some background - I have read many reports on shipboard fires, been in engine-room simulators (with real fire - you certainly get a reality check with that!), and been on the scene in two different power plant fires (land-based, but just like a giant sized engine room). Fires like that are serious business, very destructive, and a risk with that type of operation. That's why much training and planning goes into prevention and, if needed, fighting fires like this.

Suggest all be patient, it will be a few days before status of the ship (future sailings) is known. Depending on the cicumstances, either the Coast Guard or NTSB may issue a report on this down the road, which will be interesting reading (to me at least.)

If anyone cares to read, see this link:

http://marinecasualty.com/documents/empress.pdf

This is a PDF of the report on an engine room fire on RCI's old Nordic Empress back in 2001. Good description, good analysis, good photos. Report by US Coast Guard. Yes, the ship eventually returned back to service.

San Diego had a quick moving cold rain storm move through from 6am to 8am. I can't imagine waking up to announcement to evacuate to an open deck. From here on in I think I'll leave out emergency clothes and shoes when I go to bed at night.

Having made the the bus trip from San Diego to Ensenada for the Hawaii cruise, I hope Carnival finds a way to get the passengers back to California that doesn't involve a bus.

Hopefully everyone will be returned quickly and safely.

How ironic is it that just yesterday the USCG did a full inspection of the ship!!! Also, how John wanted an uneventful cruise. Well, after the ship docks and all passengers get off the ship, via the stairs and NOT elevators, they won't like that, it will be uneventful cuz there won't be any passengers!!!!!

I hope the ship will be up and running quickly. I am sure there will be a full investigation. Now I bet those people that took the lifeboat drill lightly will think TWICE before goofing off, or skipping it!

As for John, well, West Coasters, don't expect him to take the West Coast ships ever again......I wonder how Goose handles all the Kooks who complain....

Archived