Visiting Oia - Bus?

Fozzycat

We are going to be in Santorini and I really want to visit Oia. The ship excursion that goes there is very expensive and only 3 hours. I remember reading about people taking the bus there and back but can't find the directions. Can anyone help? Where do we get the bus (in Fira and Oia to come back)? Anything we need to know?

Thanks!

The bus station in Fira is near the Cathedral, at the far end of the pedestrian way from the cliff lift. The buses can get very full, though, if there's lots of ships in. They used to be every 1/2 hour, but I've not been for 3 years.

Jo.

We took the bus this Sept and it all worked out very well.

We got off the ship as early as we could, took the funicular up to Fira and then walked right over to the bus station. The bus we took was not crowded, but friends took a later one and it was crowded. The journey to Oia is about 20 minutes or so. Then we just walked around Oia, and took the bus back and then walked around Fira for awhile before taking the funicular down and back to the ship. Oia is very beautiful-like a postcard. Prices were much higher than Fira for souvenirs, etc.

We took the bus this Sept and it all worked out very well.

We got off the ship as early as we could, took the funicular up to Fira and then walked right over to the bus station. The bus we took was not crowded, but friends took a later one and it was crowded. The journey to Oia is about 20 minutes or so. Then we just walked around Oia, and took the bus back and then walked around Fira for awhile before taking the funicular down and back to the ship. Oia is very beautiful-like a postcard. Prices were much higher than Fira for souvenirs, etc.

We did the same thing but the bus was VERY crowded. People were pushing and shoving; no formal line. We waited about 20 minutes for the doors of the bus to open, then everyone tried to get on at once so they could get a seat. The ticket office does not sell tickets ahead of time; collection was made on the bus part way through the trip.

Four of us decided not to take the bus back, so we grabbed a taxi for a few Euros more than the cost of the bus. A couple of taxis were lined up at the bus stop in Oia.

We did the same thing but the bus was VERY crowded. People were pushing and shoving; no formal line. We waited about 20 minutes for the doors of the bus to open, then everyone tried to get on at once so they could get a seat. The ticket office does not sell tickets ahead of time; collection was made on the bus part way through the trip.

Four of us decided not to take the bus back, so we grabbed a taxi for a few Euros more than the cost of the bus. A couple of taxis were lined up at the bus stop in Oia.

This was our exact experience in Aug, with 2 ships in port. The bus seems to run hourly, and going to Oia it is jammed. This, and the traffic causes it to run late. So we took a taxi back. Oia is definitely worth seeing, and the bus, and/or taxi route is cheaper, and just as effective.

We were in Santorini in 2008 on a Celebrity Cruise. I can't remember the exact time we tendered but - unplanned - we, and about 6 others, were on the first tender, along with the photographer & crew! I guess werer all early people! Anyway, we had to wait about 5 minutes for the cable cars to open. At the top (Fira) we looked around a few minutes - it was great to see it enpty! - and then we all started walking to the bus station - as mentioned above just off the main street behind the main cathedral. We waited just a few minutes and it wasn't crowded at that time. Trip took about 20 minutes and was very interesting. Don't remember the cost but it was 2 1/2 years ago!

Once at Oia we split up and took our time walking all over the town and taking photos and looking in the shops. Interestingly, a tour came by that 2 table-mates were on - they were SO upset at being rushed all over! Eventually we walked the 200-steps down to Amundi - a small "town" by the seashore. We had previously agreed to meet there for lunch - and what a meal we had - one of our best!! We shared all the appetizers freshly grilled right before us! Shares cabs back to Oia and then the bus to Fira and still had time to walk around, visit Cathedrals, have a drink with a view, and get back to the Summit well before time to sail!

Do some research on Santorini and you may be able to get a map that shows the bus station. But be aware of the previous comments - we left VERY early, I'm sure the bus is a disaster later with a lot of people! And the day we were there the port schedule had listed only us but in the afternoon another smaller ship was also tendering. My DH's a worry-wart so we left Fira with plenty of time to spare and had no wait for the cable car - and just a few minutes wait for a tender. It was really great not to be rushing and be lounging by the pool as others were running onboard!!!

Have a great visit!

We are going to be in Santorini and I really want to visit Oia. The ship excursion that goes there is very expensive and only 3 hours. I remember reading about people taking the bus there and back but can't find the directions. Can anyone help? Where do we get the bus (in Fira and Oia to come back)? Anything we need to know?

Thanks!

We did Santorini in July on the Norweigan Gem. We did an NCL excursion, and it was worth every penny. We saw most of the island, including a stop at a winery, Oia and Fira. Everyone else in our party did their own thing, and only went to Fira. Time is your enemy, sure you can take the bus, but all this takes time, and you want to maximize your experience on this island.

Agree with above---it really matters how many ships are in port (or tendered, I should say!) that day---we were on a small (600 pax) ship and there was only one other small ship in port that day. We did it on our own, but as someone else pointed out if you do a ships excursion they got off the ship separately and went right to their waiting tour buses-they did not have to do the funicular/donkey thing (and if memory serves me I think the funicular was around 6 Euro per person each way).

• 1 month later...

We were on the 2nd tender when we were in Santorini. A few in our group went on the donkey ride, so we had to wait for them at the top after our cable car ride. By the time we met up to take the bus to Oia, it was crowded but we managed to get on the bus. Spent a lovely day in Oia, had lunch and strolled along. Took lots of beautiful pictures. The bus ride back was another story. Almost lost my husband because he is not the pushing and shuffling type of person. I think if you have more than 2 people, taking a taxi would be a good idea. Oia is a must for Santorini.

We're going to be there in July from 2-10pm....After reading this, I'm just anticipating the crowds and wait...We're going Celeb. I think if it is crowded, we'll just take a cab and forget the bus ride. (Although we do like adventure...) Thanks for all your tips--I really appreciate them!

Keep in mind that taxis are a back-up plan if the buses are too crowded. If you get 4 in a taxi it is still a lot more economical than a ship's excursion and you can control when you come and go. The major taxi stand in Fira happens to be within sight of the bus station so it's one of those decisions you can make on the spur of the moment.

Hank

Our side trip to Oia was the closest I've ever come to missing the ship, because of the buses.

Check the bus schedule when you first get to Oia. Yes, supposedly they come every half-hour or so, but the day we were there, for some reason there was a two-hour gap in mid-afternoon - right at the critical time for many people to get back to their ships. If we had looked at the schedule when we arrived, we would have known about it and planned accordingly.

Try to go early and come back early. There were something like 9 ships at Santorini that day, and there was a huge crowd of people all trying to get back in mid-afternoon (who, like us, hadn't known about the bus situation). We thought we left plenty of time to return (something like 2 1/2 hours before last tender), but with the lack of buses and the crowd already there, it wasn't enough time.

If there's a problem, you can't count on taxis. There were only a few taxis around, and they were swarmed the moment they appeared. Calling for one did not help, because they were hijacked by the crowd. Really, it was not a pretty scene. (The only way we got back in time was the miraculous appearance of a woman with a minibus. As it was, we raced down the donkey path and made the second-to-last tender.)

Because of the above, if there are a lot of ships in port, it might be better to consider alternatives that are more within your control (taxi hired for the day, a rental car).

I loved Oia and am so glad we went. I'd even take the buses again. But the scene that day at the Oia bus station was quite tense. People were getting pretty desperate to get back to their ships.

Archived