Snowman671

Hi

I know that in Antigua there is a bar just right by the pier

that has free wifi, also in the other ports just find a

KFC or Macdonalds or ask the crew, they are the best source for free

wifi connections.

I need to have access due to my business in the UK and have never

really had a problem.

Unless someone actually puts a key logger on your pc you are pretty safe. most if not all places that you sign in such as banks and the like use https: which is secure and encryped transmissions the chances of someone trying to pick up your keystrokes are pretty slim and the amount of data they woudl need to record and decyper is big.

Make sure your firewall is on on your pc and you don't run any strange programs. And all should be well.

In just about any port when docked close to town, it is worth trying to pick up a wireless network connection from the front or back of the ship, or sometimes even from a balcony on the side. If you can get connected that way, it beats taking the laptop off the ship and needing to carry it around.

Great To Know Thanks ! I have some business to conduct almost daily..

Depending on the No of sea days it may be worthwhile to

you 90 mins not cheap but useful if you need to make contact

during a sea day. If you are on the Solstice class ships you will have

WiFi in your cabin,

• 1 year later...
Hi

I know that in Antigua there is a bar just right by the pier

that has free wifi, also in the other ports just find a

KFC or Macdonalds or ask the crew, they are the best source for free

wifi connections.

I need to have access due to my business in the UK and have never

really had a problem.

We have also found free Internet in libraries in the Caribbean.

One of the advantages of a Schwab brokerage and/or bank account is that they will, on request, give you a security fob that you can put on your keychain. When you sign on normally with your userid and password, you then are challenged with a second layer of security where you must push the button on the fob and then enter the number you see on the schwab security screen. The number on the fob is only valid once and only for less than a minute...it changes every time you push the button. Even if your keystrokes or bit stream were captured, it would not work...and if it was decrypted to get your userid and password, they still would not have your fob.

Very secure and works with smartphones as well as any computer with a browser.

There may be other banks/brokerage firms with equal security....but Schwab also offers a credit card with no currency conversion charges and they refund ATM fees. It's worth looking into for anyone that travels internationally.

I've used my iPod Touch around the world to surf, send emails and make VOIP phone calls. I usually find a McDonald's or Starbucks with wifi and if I don't have enough time for a bite or a cup of coffee, I just lurk outside and pick up the signal.

In St. Maarten, I was in the main area (Front St.?) and picked up wifi from a candy store there. I was standing outside sending email when the owner came up to me and, I thought, was going to yell at me and chase me away. Instead, he brought over a chair so I could sit down and relax. I apologized for using his wifi, and he said he purposely kept it open so people could enjoy it. He pointed to a stone stairway next to the store and there were about a dozen crew members using his wifi, too, with his blessing. Made my day :)

Archived