Question about how they charge you on a cruise ship?

luzzg

My family is going on a cruise and we are bringing my daughters friend. Would it be the same price to have us all in the same room, or in 2 different rooms?

Is the price that they show is that just the ticket for the cruise or a room ticket?

Also how would we have our daughters friend pay us back for the cruise if we book it as a family and just include her?

We would be cruising on Carnival

The answer may vary by cruise line and even by cruise or type of cabin. Generally, third and fourth passengers in a cabin are charge anywhere from a flat amount to the same as the first two passengers. You would be better talking to a travel agent or cruise line.

As to the friend paying, you would get a price for her that she could pay. Onboard the ship, each of the four of you will have your own onboard account (where in one room or two). She would be responsible for hers.

The quoted price is PER PERSON, based on 2 in 1 cabin. If you add a third or fourth person, the price will rise...perhaps not the full "per person" price, but each person does cost more.

Just call the cruiseline and ask them...you're under no obligation to book...you just want info! Ask for quotes for 4 in 1 cabin and for 2 in 2 cabins!

Also keep in mind that you will need written permission from your daughter's friend's parents (both parents) for your daughter's friend to travel with you on the cruise (assuming she is under 18 years of age).

Is the price that they show is that just the ticket for the cruise or a room ticket?

Also how would we have our daughters friend pay us back for the cruise if we book it as a family and just include her?

The price you're paying should be broken down by person, not a lump sum total for everyone. You will be able to figure out the friend's portion of the total fare down to the penny.

Say there's four in a cabin. The pricing would show something like:

Passenger #1 -- $XXX + Taxes (Mom)

Passenger #2 -- $XXX + Taxes (Dad)

Passenger #3 -- $XXX + Taxes (Daughter)

Passenger #4 -- $XXX + Taxes (Friend)

In most cases, but not all, the $XXX for your daughter and her friend will be less than what Mom and Dad are paying. The taxes should be identical for all four.

Really depends on the age of friend and your daughter. Do you and DH want privacy? Nice to have a second bathroom. Sometimes you can get connecting rooms.

In the best case, 3rd & 4th passenger each charged as 1/2 of 1st passenger. But then tips, and port-charges, and taxes on top of that.

Remember shore excursions as well. I doubt that the three of you would go off on a shore excursion, and leave the friend behind on the ship.

For repayment, keep a tally, and get cash/check at end of cruise.

Have fun!

As to the friend paying, you would get a price for her that she could pay. Onboard the ship, each of the four of you will have your own onboard account (where in one room or two). She would be responsible for hers.

Having a problem with this... My experience is that someone has to give a Credit Card for the account. Everyone else's account is tied to this CC, unless - they give a separate CC for their account. If this friend has her own CC she could probably set up an account for herself, otherwise it will be tied to the OP's. In that case the OP is responsible for her expenses.

Wrong?? Won't be the first time! ;)

Also keep in mind that you will need written permission from your daughter's friend's parents (both parents) for your daughter's friend to travel with you on the cruise (assuming she is under 18 years of age).

More than that. You need a release that authorizes you to have medical work done on her if necessary. Make sure that the wording ensures that you can not be sued by the parents if things go bad.

DON

Having a problem with this... My experience is that someone has to give a Credit Card for the account. Everyone else's account is tied to this CC, unless - they give a separate CC for their account. If this friend has her own CC she could probably set up an account for herself, otherwise it will be tied to the OP's. In that case the OP is responsible for her expenses.

I used one credit card to book a cabin for three people, but when I filled out the boarding documents, I was able to assign a different card to each person in the cabin, if I wanted to.

I would pretend to book on a online TA site as Carnival's new way of showing prices is they just average them all together. If you just pretend to book 2 in the same type of cabin, you will see a higher price.

With Carnival pax 3 and 4 is usually deeply discounted.

Is there a list of things maybe written on the carnival website of things i need to take my daughters friend?? and what does DH mean?

Is there a list of things maybe written on the carnival website of things i need to take my daughters friend?? and what does DH mean?

DH means Dear Husband, Darling Husband..etc

I know there is a list on the website of required documents....I'm unsure if it includes things for bringing minor kids that to you are not the legal guardian of but its worth a quick check on their website or a phone call...

The onboard account for the friend could be set up as cash only if she doesn't have a credit card..this would eliminate the OP from having to keep track of all her expenses once onboard...

How old are the girls? Can you afford to do adjoining rooms? I would have concerns about my daughter in such close quarters with another male, not her father. The cabins are small and have NO privacy.

You can attach cash to the friends card when you check in.

Archived