Distributing Ashes at Sea; Our Experience

Pam in CA

Pam, Thank you so much for including us in Jim's final chapter...your information has always been so invaluable to so many...but this was a very personal part or your family's life & I am sure that I speak for many here on CC that feel honored that you have shared so much with us...Thank you again & God continue to bless your familyids_emoticon_rose.gif...many happy sailings ahead ids_emoticon_island.gif

Edited by TLC535

When consulting with friends and fellow passengers, they were sorry to not have read your post, for their experience, while legal by definition of your circumstances, was clandestine. We're sure they are not alone in this. Your information will help and guide many to created a more comfortable and meaningful commitment of one's ashes at sea.

Thank you Pam for sharing this information as I'm considering doing this with my Brother and Nieces ashes. Can you elaborate on what specifically is a "biodegradable urn"? I assume that the ashes will need to be removed from the plastic bag before being placed in the biodegradable urn?

I hope your Brother-in-Law had a long and happy life.

Sincerely, Jim

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. They are greatly appreciated and I will share them with my sister. She has come a very long way in the past year, from being totally taken care of and never had to cook, pack, keep a checkbook, etc. (Jim did everything for her) to being an independent person with self-confidence in her abilities.

Jim, to answer your question, the ashes were in a plastic bag in a wooden box. We distributed the ashes from the plastic bag and did not throw the box overboard as it was lacquered.

Thanks for sharing your experience Pam. I too wish to have my ashes spread at sea when I go - so I will make sure to show this to my husband.

We were on the same cruise as you, and we walked that deck every morning, often stopping at the back of the ship for awhile just to look out to see - a very nice spot. What a great spot for this event.

Terry

Thank You for shareing and we are sorry for your loss. My DS and I will be doing the same when the Good Lord calls us-we have made plans with our children this is what we want and we will both go to Sea when the time comes together.

May God be with you and your family at this time and forever.

Thanks again for shareing your story.

Edited by mph045

What a touching goodbye for your BIL....his final cruise.....

Thank you Pam and the rest of his family for sharing this most personal time with a loved one. (I remember your postings of his courageous battle after being taken off the ship in FL and then his death in CA)

What a lovely description of how to do this final wish LEGALLY. (I am saving it, for my final wishes for my family when I depart this earth)

(It brought tears to my eyes, as I remember placing my Dad's ashing in the Pacific Ocean and the beautiful rainbow that appeared soon afterward.)

Pam - I too like others followed your journey of this heartbreaking loss last year. Reading the outcome of this beautiful ceremony that Princess afforded to your dear Brother-in-Law made me weep. But also great joy in knowing his last wishes were honored in such a respectful manner. Deepest sympathies, once again, to you and your sister's family. I think your BIL was well pleased and is smiling down on you all. Thanks for sharing such a personal and emotional experience with all of us.

Thank You, Pam. I also followed your posts last year and so appreciate all of the helpful information you provided for all of us during that trying time and again now. Wishing you and your family peace and contentment now that your loved one's wishes have been fulfilled. Bless you all.

Pam - repeating what others have said, I too followed your blog last year and was sad to hear of your BIL's death. But what a refreshing story you shared with us about the burial at sea - I would have never thought of this, but we LOVE to cruise and what a fitting way to remember the person and their joy.

Thanks so much for including us on this journey. Hope it was theraputic to you and your sister also and I applaud Princess for making this happen for your family.

Very touching....

I look forward to meeting you one day on a cruise - we live in So. Cal also and I see you on the boards daily and value your opinion....so maybe one day we will cruise together and officially say 'Hi'.....

I, too, followed your experience with your sister and BIL.

You can add me to the long list of people who have benefited from the valuable information you always provide. You are a wealth of information, and your posts have helped me numerous times.

So glad to hear that your sister is doing well. She was blessed to have a wonderful husband who took such good care of her. And, she is fortunate to have you to support her through everything she has been through.

God bless you, your sister and family.

Thanks Pam for this important info, I followed your thread last year and am touched by this ceremony very much. I hope you and your sister continue to take comfort in the memories of this. Take care,

Amelia

Hi Pam,

Thank you so much for once again sharing the knowledge you have been able to gain over your "cruising career". This message was, as someone else stated, closure for many of us that followed the events of you, your sister and brother-in-law, Jim a year ago.

I was going to send you an email and ask my question off-line, but then thought others might also be wondering. Did you have to provide copies of official documents, death certificates, cremation orders, etc. in order to do this or is it just a matter of making the request to Princess?

As always, your advice and comments are sincerely appreciated on these boards. Best to you and your family.

Diane

I was going to send you an email and ask my question off-line, but then thought others might also be wondering. Did you have to provide copies of official documents, death certificates, cremation orders, etc. in order to do this or is it just a matter of making the request to Princess?
Simple answer: no. I just wrote that this was what we would like to do.

This might not be doable for all itineraries due to the 12-mile requirement. It wasn't until we were south of Puerto Vallarta that we were out of sight of land for very long. I didn't even think of that possibility when I made the arrangements.

Pam,

As many others have said, I followed your blog on your BIL’s fateful cruise. It brought me to tears many times along the way. I kept hoping each post would get better but alas . . . .

It is wonderful to finally hear something good posted about Princess. They handled your journey with exquisite care and probably surprised many people. It has given us all food for thought that we cruisers would truly appreciate a fitting goodbye.

I commend you and your sister for your strength and sharing your lives with the people on Cruise Critic who truly care.

I wish you and your sister many happier cruises in the future!