San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

• 2 weeks later...
I'm confused - I've never "bid" on a hotel. I found the "secret" price on hotwire and I played on priceline a bit. Now, where / how do I "bid" for a lower price??

I figured it out - thanks!!

Crowne Plaza for $78 / night - maybe could have gone lower, but it is under $100 w/ taxes, etc :)

Edited by DorothyB

We've just booked the Crowne Plaza for 3 nights in May before our cruise. We plan to take a tour of LA one day and will be picked up at the hotel. We would like to visit Griffith Observatory one day. Any suggestions on the best way to get there? We've never been to LA before so any help would be appreciated. Prefer not to rent a car and drive. Love this thread. It has been a huge help.

Still another San Pedro question! Does anyone know if you can use Priceline or Hotwire and be able to get the package of "sail and park" or whatever it is? I heard that I may need to call the hotel directly if we want to leave our car there while on the cruise.

Thanks!

People can always get the DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza for $65-85 per night on HotWire or PriceLine. 3 1/2 stars, San Pedro area.

Not always. By the time our 4-12 cruise was booked with our credit ... both the Crown and Double tree were sold out as well as the Travelodge and Queen Mary.

So, we currently have book a room at:

A) Torrance DoubleTree $109

B) Torrance Ramada $89

C) Vagabond San Pedro with stay and cruise. $132

A&B are cancel by 4pm day of arrival and C is cancel 48 hours prior to arrival.

We hope that the weather is nice and we can fly into Torrance airport and the Ramada is next door making it very handy. But we may not know if we can fly till the morning of departure.

While the DoubleTree is clearly nicer than the Ramada ... it is not within walking distance from the Torrance airport as is the Ramada and there is additional cab fare to the ship also making it less desirable.

As the Best Western San Pedro seems to be less that desirable, we would think that the Vagabond is even less so. We like being close to the pier.

We have requested three quotes from the Sunrise with no response. It also doesn't have the best of reviews, but is right across the street from the ship. They still do have rooms available ... and that is and of itself may be saying something.

After rereading the information here, think we will probably stick with the Ramada and cancel the Torrance DoubleTree and San Pedro Vagabond and pay to park at the pier if we have to drive.

Given our rather unique needs, should we consider the Sunrise?

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

Looks like the Crowne Plaza has free shuttle to the cruise port? Anyone used it? Did it work well?

We've used it twice--it worked great. We didn't try to go at the earliest time, more like 11-12 and there was little to no wait, just got on and went.

For Princess, there's not much point in going too early as they don't let you on until a certain time anyway. Other cruise lines may be different.

We've just booked the Crowne Plaza for 3 nights in May before our cruise. We plan to take a tour of LA one day and will be picked up at the hotel. We would like to visit Griffith Observatory one day. Any suggestions on the best way to get there? We've never been to LA before so any help would be appreciated. Prefer not to rent a car and drive. Love this thread. It has been a huge help.

You will need to rent a car to get to the Observatory. The Los Angeles mass transit system is not very reliable. There is a bus that takes you up to the Observatory but it only runs Saturday and Sunday and you have to get to Hollywood first. Here is the link: http://www.ladottransit.com/other/observatoryshuttle/observatoryshuttle.php

You can get there by taking a bus, subway and then bus again but that will be very time consuming.

Edited by Wineaux

You will need to rent a car to get to the Observatory. The Los Angeles mass transit system is not very reliable. There is a bus that takes you up to the Observatory but it only runs Saturday and Sunday and you have to get to Hollywood first. Here is the link: http://www.ladottransit.com/other/observatoryshuttle/observatoryshuttle.php

You can get there by taking a bus, subway and then bus again but that will be very time consuming.

Thanks for the info. We may have to skip the observatory. I suppose taxi fare would be very expensive.

It's 5 miles closer, which on the San Diego Freeway can be a lifetime. I think you made the far better choice.:)

There are no busses that I am aware of that go from LGB to the pier. Taxis are a flat rate (used to be $35, but that was over a year ago and I'm sure has increased). Super Shuttle may be less expensive, depending on how many are in your party, but you run the risk of loading up with people going to other places and being dropped off before you are.

The trolley is right outside the entrance to the cruise ship terminal. There is a small shop called Ocean __ (can't remember the name) that's about a 5 minute stroll from the entrance as well.

A new attraction in San Pedro is the craft market located near the end of the Red Line. No groceries, but maybe a nice souvenir opportunity.

If one were to take the redline, where would you put your luggage? Does Princess have a luggage service?

Go see Michael at:

Off the Vine Wines

600 S Pacific Ave Suite #103

San Pedro Ca. 90731

(424) 224-2293

It's about two very short blocks from the Crowne Plaza...

Crowne Plaza is at 6th and Centre...Off the Vine is at 6th and Pacific...

Is this store within walking distance of the cruiseship terminal or do you know if their is a wine store near the Renaissance Hotel in Long Beach?

Thanks

The two closest airports are LAX and Long Beach. The advantage to LAX is that it is large and there are lots of flights in and out. Long Beach is smaller, only 44 flights a day. Easy in and out--but if there is a problem with your flight--you may not get here or home unless than send you to LAX (which has happened to me when I was flying out of Long Beach to Seattle once.)

I would pick the one with the best flight schedule/cost for you.

From LAX I would take one of the shared shuttles--SuperShuttle or PrimeTime. From Long Beach, I think the shared shuttles, which have to be booked in advance, cost about the same for two as a cab. So, I would take a cab.[/quote

Do we have to book ahead for the shared shuttles out of LAX?

Thanks

Is this store within walking distance of the cruiseship terminal or do you know if their is a wine store near the Renaissance Hotel in Long Beach?

Thanks

Are you staying in Long Beach for a cruise out of San Pedro?

Remember, there are two different cruise terminals--approximately 6-8 miles apart, depending on route...

1) The World Cruise Center in San Pedro...on the western side of the harbor...and...

2) The Carnival Cruise Terminal in Long Beach...on the eastern side of the harbor...

Off the Vine IS walking distance, albeit it a few blocks (so, it depends on how far you are willing to walk) from the SAN PEDRO cruise terminal.

The Carnival cruise terminal and the Renaissance Long Beach are a considerable distance away from Off the Vine.

From the Renaissance Long Beach, you can take the Passport Shuttle to the Albertson's Market--where you can purchase wine...

Or, you can walk to "The Wine Crush" on Broadway, just east of Alamitos...I don't personally know this shop so I can't say much about it other than it appears to be a specialty wine shop...

https://www.thewinecrush.com/

...Or, you can walk to "The Wine Crush" on Broadway, just east of Alamitos...I don't personally know this shop so I can't say much about it other than it appears to be a specialty wine shop...

I love the Crush, but The Wine Crush is not within walking distance of the Carnival cruise terminal or the Renaissance Long Beach. However, there is a boutique wine shop a few blocks from the Renaissance.

District Wine - districtwine.com - on Linden & Broadway

...The Wine Crush is not within walking distance of the Carnival cruise terminal or the Renaissance Long Beach...

Yeah...I guess it's a LONG walk...about 2.3 miles each direction...It's "a bit" east of Alamitos...like 15 blocks east...my bad...I guess you could take the 121 bus?

Several people on my last cruise stayed at the Best Western. They said it is under new ownership and was very nice. It included breakfast and a free shuttle to the pier. Rooms were very nice. They said they walked around outside and the neighborhood seemed fine. Any thoughts on this being another place besides the Crowne (for a lower price than I get for the Crowne on Priceline) to stay?

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Just a FYI our cab ride two weeks ago from the Queen Mary to the San Pedro pier was $26 plus tip using a metered cab. We paid $30 plus tip last year using an unmetered cab.

Several people on my last cruise stayed at the Best Western. They said it is under new ownership and was very nice. It included breakfast and a free shuttle to the pier. Rooms were very nice. They said they walked around outside and the neighborhood seemed fine. Any thoughts on this being another place besides the Crowne (for a lower price than I get for the Crowne on Priceline) to stay?

Just for kicks, I looked at the BW San Pedro and found this confusing, misleading paragraph: Both Princess Cruises® and Carnival Cruises® set sail from the San Pedro World Cruise Terminal, and we'll ensure a refreshing stay whether you're on vacation in California or here for an event at the Long Beach Convention Center or the Port of Los Angeles. As our guest, enjoy complimentary hotel shuttle service to the cruise terminals in both San Pedro and Long Beach. With luxurious bedding, remarkably spacious rooms & suites and top-notch hospitality, you deserve to be pampered no matter where the winds will take you next. Take advantage of our Park & Cruise promotion to make the most of your trip!

No wonder we locals have to keep clarifying about the ports here. Even the hotels give out wrong info.

If you do book with this hotel, I would absolutely double check whether they actually do shuttle you to either port and if so, make sure you are being taken to the right one.:rolleyes:

I can only say that I know they go to San Pedro port and Princess. I also suggest people clarify, but even if they had to take a cab to Long Beach, the price is worth it when booked at one of the discount places. Three different cruisers were very happy just on our cruise. I'll be giving it a try.