San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Go see Michael at:

Off the Vine Wines

600 S Pacific Ave Suite #103

San Pedro Ca. 90731

(424) 224-2293

It's about two very short blocks from the Crowne Plaza...

Crowne Plaza is at 6th and Centre...Off the Vine is at 6th and Pacific...

I went to Off the Vine before a recent cruise to pick up a bottle of wine as a gift for a friend who would be on the cruise with us. After parking (which was problematic in that area), I got to the store at about 10:45 and discovered that they were closed. Seeing that they open at 11, I decided to wait. After a couple more minutes, I looked more closely and saw that they are closed on Mondays. So our friend didn't get the bottle of wine I had hoped to purchase.

So, if your cruise embarks on a Monday, or if you plan to pick up a bottle of wine and want to be at the port before 11, plan accordingly.

Tim

Sorry if this has been asked before. We are flying from Seattle to depart from LA on the Star Princess in May. Could you tell me which would be the best airport to fly into?

Thank you.

The two closest airports are LAX and Long Beach. The advantage to LAX is that it is large and there are lots of flights in and out. Long Beach is smaller, only 44 flights a day. Easy in and out--but if there is a problem with your flight--you may not get here or home unless than send you to LAX (which has happened to me when I was flying out of Long Beach to Seattle once.)

I would pick the one with the best flight schedule/cost for you.

From LAX I would take one of the shared shuttles--SuperShuttle or PrimeTime. From Long Beach, I think the shared shuttles, which have to be booked in advance, cost about the same for two as a cab. So, I would take a cab.

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza. Is there a place within walking distance where we can go to get personal care items, etc? Don't want to drag stuff from Canada if we don't have to.

Is there any shopping near by??

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza. Is there a place within walking distance where we can go to get personal care items, etc? Don't want to drag stuff from Canada if we don't have to.

There is, I think, a CVS drug store within a few blocks of the CP. I will be there next week and find out for sure. In the meantime go to CVS web site and check store locator.

Edited by janvino
spelling

There is, I think, a CVS drug store within a few blocks of the CP. I will be there next week and find out for sure. In the meantime go to CVS web site and check store locator.

Yes, there's a CVS a few blocks away from the Crowne Plaza. It's a up hill hike to get there, if the Bell Captian isn't busy ask him to give you a ride. He took us there and waited for us to come back. Nice service.

The two closest airports are LAX and Long Beach. The advantage to LAX is that it is large and there are lots of flights in and out. Long Beach is smaller, only 44 flights a day. Easy in and out--but if there is a problem with your flight--you may not get here or home unless than send you to LAX (which has happened to me when I was flying out of Long Beach to Seattle once.)

I would pick the one with the best flight schedule/cost for you.

From LAX I would take one of the shared shuttles--SuperShuttle or PrimeTime. From Long Beach, I think the shared shuttles, which have to be booked in advance, cost about the same for two as a cab. So, I would take a cab.

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

Yes, there's a CVS a few blocks away from the Crowne Plaza. It's a up hill hike to get there, if the Bell Captian isn't busy ask him to give you a ride. He took us there and waited for us to come back. Nice service.

We did walk to the CVS. It is quite a hike, up hill, as said. This year we found a small supermarket much closer, maybe 3 or 4 blocks up, two or three over, and then back towards the hotel. Sorry I can't be more specific, I didn't pay attention to street names.

We picked up water and some snacks--there were toiletries too, I think. Speaking Spanish would be helpful! But we muddled through.

Just booked this hotel for our cruise in May but now reading some reviews that say it is not in the nicest area and no restaurants around it, would the Crowne Plaza be better or should we look at something in Long Beach or another area near San Pedro?

Thanks

Check out this thread. There is a raging debate over the merits or not of staying at the Best Western you are considering.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1967611

Raging debate is putting it mildly...

I've lived all around the greater Los Angeles area all my life...I know these areas fairly well...I would NOT stay at this Best Western. I tried to help these folks out by being blunt with them...but, somehow, the one who's actually stayed there once and was willing to overlook the overwhelming negatives got insulted that I said one would have to lower their standards to find it "a great hotel"...Now, the other poster to that thread has taken to personally attack me. I was only trying to help. That said, I will push on...

Just booked this hotel for our cruise in May but now reading some reviews that say it is not in the nicest area and no restaurants around it, would the Crowne Plaza be better or should we look at something in Long Beach or another area near San Pedro?

Thanks

It is definitely NOT in the "nicest area"...and it's not that nice a hotel. It's at least a couple of miles north of the nice, touristy area of Long Beach. It is surrounded by auto repair and auto body shops, sketchy retail and questionable apartment/residential areas. It is fronted by the Metro train line with a station across the street. The Best Wester itself is really a second class motel property--marginally acceptable as long as you are not expecting a nice hotel and are willing to stay in a very mid level motel, it is "okay" at bast--thin walls, few amenities...

That is okay with some people...Perhaps my standards are a bit higher. When I vacation, I like to feel like I am in a nice hotel with good amenities and public areas...and in a neighborhood where I feel safe and comfortable walking outside the hotel...and where there are convenient shops and a variety of acceptable to good restaurant choices. This Best Western is not that.

If you are sailing out of San Pedro--which, apparrently you are--on Princess, correct?--I would stay in San Pedro, preferably at the Crowne Plaza for convenience, otherwise at the Doubletree for atmosphere and surroundings...Both are nice hotels and much closer to your ship...

The reason to stay in Long Beach if you are cruising out of San Pedro would be if you had a little extra time and wanted to spend it at the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary, etc. and to have the selection of Long Beach shops and restaurants. To take advantage of that, best to be in the prime area of Long Beach--in the vicinity of the Pike and Aquarium. The hotels I think are prime there are the Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance and Hyatt at the Pike...and, secondarily (a little farther away but still nice) the Hilton, Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn Downtown. That would be my short list for those wishing to stay in Long Beach for whatever reason (usually to sail from the Carnival pier). The area these hotels are in is a bit more upscale, convenient to all the attractions and a wide variety of nicer restaurants...and close to the Carnival pier. Long Beach changes drastically just moving a couple of blocks to the north of this area...

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Thanks

People can always get the DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza for $65-85 per night on HotWire or PriceLine. 3 1/2 stars, San Pedro area. I got the CP for $75 on May 12. You are in a better area and close to restaurants.

Why stay in an area that is sketchy when you can get the better location for less?

Edited by pizzalady1

Not always..for the first time I went up to $100 on the Crowne Plaza (or Double Tree..whichever they would have given us) for my upcoming cruise..tried for over 2 months. Finally got a good deal on the Queen Mary..still cheaper even with the expected taxi ride.

They must have had something happening this weekend.

People can always get the DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza for $65-85 per night on HotWire or PriceLine. 3 1/2 stars, San Pedro area. I got the CP for $75 on May 12. You are in a better area and close to restaurants.

Why stay in an area that is sketchy when you can get the better location for less?

I certainly agree with Bruin Steve's assessment of the Best Western Of Long Beach (1725 Long Beach Blvd). DW and I stayed there the first two times sailing out of San Pedro because they offered free airport and cruise terminal shuttles, the Best Western brand, and we did not know any better. Then, I discovered Cruise Critic. We are now big fans of bidding for 3.5 stars on Priceline which, thus far, has put us in the Crowne Plaza.

Unless I'm mistaken, pthardy is referring to the Best Western Plus San Pedro Hotel & Suites (111 S Gaffey St). But, if memory serves me, CC members who are familiar with San Pedro continue to rate the Crowne Plaza and DoubleTree over all other hotels in San Pedro - especially since these two hotels can usually be obtained at a reasonable price using Priceline.

I hope I'm posting my question in the right place. I've gained alot of good information on this thread. We're planning our first cruise out of San Pedro to Hawaii in March 2015. Weighing all the different options we've decided to use a park and stay option in San Pedro for the night before the cruise.

From my reading it looks like we should use Priceline for a 3.5 star in San Pedro. How soon should we try this bidding as we've not used Priceline before? And would I need to request the "park and stay" option or is this an automatic benefit?

Thanks!

I hope I'm posting my question in the right place. I've gained alot of good information on this thread. We're planning our first cruise out of San Pedro to Hawaii in March 2015. Weighing all the different options we've decided to use a park and stay option in San Pedro for the night before the cruise.

From my reading it looks like we should use Priceline for a 3.5 star in San Pedro. How soon should we try this bidding as we've not used Priceline before? And would I need to request the "park and stay" option or is this an automatic benefit?

Thanks!

My two cents...

Before using Name Your Own Price, I do check pricing in the List View and the Express Deals. Several times for other cities I have found a satisfactory price without going through the bidding process.

There are different philosophies regarding how far out one should begin bidding for hotels. Since I like everything is place as soon as possible, I generally start bidding at the time I make my cruise booking. Some make the case that you get better pricing the closer you are to the check-in date. I have held out increasing my bid until closer to check-in for other cities but always have a back-up cancellable reservation in place.

For what it's worth, below is my history of winning bids (before taxes & fees) for 3.5* in San Pedro (Area 5):

bid on 06/28/11 for 12/07/11 (162 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 06/29/11 for 11/22/11 (146 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 09/20/11 for 02/17/12 (150 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $65

bid on 09/20/11 for 03/03/12 (165 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $65

bid on 07/03/12 for 10/27/12 (116 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 07/03/12 for 11/26/12 (146 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 10/01/12 for 01/01/13 ( 92 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $95

bid on 09/30/12 for 01/16/13 ( 92 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $95

bid on 05/20/13 for 10/04/13 (137 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 05/20/13 for 10/19/13 (137 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 05/20/13 for 03/31/14 (315 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 06/19/13 for 04/29/14 (314 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 01/26/14 for 10/03/14 (250 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

bid on 01/26/14 for 10/18/14 (265 days to check-in) winning Crowne Plaza at $75

I do not believe that March 2015 is currently available on Priceline and do not know their general rule about how far in advance they will allow.

I cannot comment on how parking is arranged since we fly into LGB for our cruises out of San Pedro.

Thank you for the speedy reply! Are the ways to check prices you mentioned a feature on Priceline?

Yes. Priceline allows you to view hotels in a "List View" that shows some basic pricing, view "Express Deals" that show some prices available without bidding, and to "Name Your Own Price" where you submit bids.

Raging debate is putting it mildly...

I've lived all around the greater Los Angeles area all my life...I know these areas fairly well...I would NOT stay at this Best Western. I tried to help these folks out by being blunt with them...but, somehow, the one who's actually stayed there once and was willing to overlook the overwhelming negatives got insulted that I said one would have to lower their standards to find it "a great hotel"...Now, the other poster to that thread has taken to personally attack me. I was only trying to help. That said, I will push on...

It is definitely NOT in the "nicest area"...and it's not that nice a hotel. It's at least a couple of miles north of the nice, touristy area of Long Beach. It is surrounded by auto repair and auto body shops, sketchy retail and questionable apartment/residential areas. It is fronted by the Metro train line with a station across the street. The Best Wester itself is really a second class motel property--marginally acceptable as long as you are not expecting a nice hotel and are willing to stay in a very mid level motel, it is "okay" at bast--thin walls, few amenities...

That is okay with some people...Perhaps my standards are a bit higher. When I vacation, I like to feel like I am in a nice hotel with good amenities and public areas...and in a neighborhood where I feel safe and comfortable walking outside the hotel...and where there are convenient shops and a variety of acceptable to good restaurant choices. This Best Western is not that.

If you are sailing out of San Pedro--which, apparrently you are--on Princess, correct?--I would stay in San Pedro, preferably at the Crowne Plaza for convenience, otherwise at the Doubletree for atmosphere and surroundings...Both are nice hotels and much closer to your ship...

The reason to stay in Long Beach if you are cruising out of San Pedro would be if you had a little extra time and wanted to spend it at the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary, etc. and to have the selection of Long Beach shops and restaurants. To take advantage of that, best to be in the prime area of Long Beach--in the vicinity of the Pike and Aquarium. The hotels I think are prime there are the Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance and Hyatt at the Pike...and, secondarily (a little farther away but still nice) the Hilton, Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn Downtown. That would be my short list for those wishing to stay in Long Beach for whatever reason (usually to sail from the Carnival pier). The area these hotels are in is a bit more upscale, convenient to all the attractions and a wide variety of nicer restaurants...and close to the Carnival pier. Long Beach changes drastically just moving a couple of blocks to the north of this area...

Good luck...

Thank you, I very much appreciate this and will be cancelling my reservation at the Best Western and probably book the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree.

Thank you for the speedy reply! Are the ways to check prices you mentioned a feature on Priceline?

Don't forget to check Hotwire; we've gotten the Crowne Plaza for about $65 last year and $75 this year. Prices seem to be very comparable to Priceline without the hassle of bidding.

The Doubletree and the Crowne Plaza are the only 3.5 star hotels Hotwire has in San Pedro, so you will get one or the other.

This can change, of course, so I use sites like Bidding for Travel to see what hotels have been going for, both on Priceline and Hotwire, and to check star ratings.

Does anyone know where the nearest Target is in San Pedro. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Looks like it is at 1701 N Gaffey St, San Pedro, CA, 90731-1274. Googlemaps has it at 1.7 miles from the CP.

Does anyone know where the nearest Target is in San Pedro. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What exactly do you need? There is a CVS pharmacy within walking distance of the CP.