Should I book a gondola ride in advance

cruisinisforme

Hi Janet,

We've visited Venice a number of times and have not booked in advance. We've never had to wait more than a few minutes for a ride.

There are plenty of gondolas. Unless something has changed very recently, there should be no problem accommodating your group.

Lew

Not really necessary if all you want is the gondola ride. I did pre-book on viator.com because we did a walking tour/with a gondola ride included.

There are tons of gondolas by Rialto Bridge and San Marco Piazza, that hiring on the spot shouldn't be a problem. And some even on the smaller side canals.

The gondola we were in, had seating for 6.

Gondola's are everywhere and for hire. On our trip we had no issues finding them for hire. Even for those "romantic" evening the're seemed to be more avialable than not.

I would recommend highly against a pre-book as likely what you get bundled into is a group which would be 6 to a gondola and if you ask for a concert will be part of a flotilla 6 to a boat surrounded the singer :eek:

We will be first time gondola riders this Sept and was wondering if you should go during the day or at night ? Some have told me if it is your first time that you will see nothing at night because it is too dark. I would appreciate your input.

I haven't taken a gondola ride, but I've walked around a lot at night. It's very atmospheric. There are lights on and in the buildings, some windows are lit up, and the lights sparkle on the water. If you are looking for romantic atmosphere, night is good. If you're looking for architectural details, day is better.

Lisa

I haven't taken a gondola ride, but I've walked around a lot at night. It's very atmospheric. There are lights on and in the buildings, some windows are lit up, and the lights sparkle on the water. If you are looking for romantic atmosphere, night is good. If you're looking for architectural details, day is better.

Lisa

Right on the money. Do the gondola based on what you want to see and experience :) They were normally cheaper and more negotiable in the daytime when we were there

No need to book a gondola (or take a gondola tour) in advance and there are some very good reasons to not do this in advance. If you want to take a gondola ride do it when the time seems right which means its not raining, not too hot, etc. We think the nicest time is late in the day (many prefer to time it so they are in a gondola as dusk). There are many gondolas at various docks around Venice and you simply walk up and negotiate a price. Although they say they do not negotiate it is a supply/demand thing and sometimes you can get a discount if they are not having a good day. Also consider buying a bottle of wine at a local store, having them pull the cork and getting a couple of plastic cups...then take this on your gondola ride and sip wine while you glide through the canals.

Hank

Also consider buying a bottle of wine at a local store, having them pull the cork and getting a couple of plastic cups...then take this on your gondola ride and sip wine while you glide through the canals.

Hank

What a lovely idea!

Lisa

No need to book a gondola (or take a gondola tour) in advance and there are some very good reasons to not do this in advance. If you want to take a gondola ride do it when the time seems right which means its not raining, not too hot, etc. We think the nicest time is late in the day (many prefer to time it so they are in a gondola as dusk). There are many gondolas at various docks around Venice and you simply walk up and negotiate a price. Although they say they do not negotiate it is a supply/demand thing and sometimes you can get a discount if they are not having a good day. Also consider buying a bottle of wine at a local store, having them pull the cork and getting a couple of plastic cups...then take this on your gondola ride and sip wine while you glide through the canals.

Hank

Hank - sometimes reading your post is like taking a mini vacation... much needed in this cold, grey winter... can't wait to get to Venice in May and find that bottle of wine:)

The gondolas in Las Vegas have seat belts too! The last thing I would want is to be strapped into a boat when it capsizes! :eek: :eek:

I have seen at least 6 tourists crammed into one gondola (and I swear I've seen 8) so although the gondolier might want you sit in one particular place and your wife in another so that he can balance you properly, I wouldn't expect a problem.

Lisa

Do the gondolas have a weight limit at all?

When me and the wife did one at the Venetian in Vegas they say they have a weight limit.

Now I'm 6'5" 290, she is 5'9" 190 roughly, so we're not short, nor tiny lol

You certainly do not want to ask that question of a gondolier because I can guarantee he will scratch his head and the price will go up :) But seriously, some of the cruise ship gondola excursions will pack up to 6 in a single gondola. In your situation just get your own gondola and keep it just for the two of you (much more romantic).

Hank

Any idea of approximate costs? Princess want $129 per person.

Someone who has taken a gondola ride recently will have better info, but that seems quite high to me. I think Princess are taking a cut for organising it. You will almost certainly get a better deal by just walking up to a gondolier and asking.

Lisa

The approximate cost is 90 Euros...for the entire gondola (which can hold up to 6 persons). However, the price is somewhat negotiable and your real price will vary depending on time of day and supply and demand. We would never pay more than 90 and sometimes you can get it for less (we once got a gondola for 70 Euros). Also keep in mind that the gondoliers can try and cheat you on time. A standard gondola ride is about 40 minutes...but this is also negotiable. So, before you get in a gondola make sure you establish both the price and time of the ride.

Hank

Archived