Roll Call Post Bugs Me

gebo

;);):)

Let's not forget the Adaggio Strings!:cool:

I second the Welcome Home..I'm another one who missed you! Hope you are having a ball in your new Job..Just be careful now don't advertise !

By the way my Dh always loved the Adaggio Strings, until he asked them to play "Danny Boy" (Londonderry Air), his favorite song & they didn't know how to do it..We tried explaining to him they don't have the music, but he didn't think that was a good excuse..And he's not even Irish, he's Dutch! :eek:LOL

cheers....:)Betty

OMG...You're advertising!
No, but if the Adagio Strings posted their own website URL that would be advertising - IMO. Again I ask: if TAs can't post an email address, why can a performer post a self-promoting (i.e. advertising) URL? (The "say hi" part doesn't bother me.)
I think it's a very nice post. I'd be thrilled to have a crew member drop in on one of my roll calls.
He's not really a crew member, he's a guest performer. He happens to be there longer than a comedian or magician or whatever, but he's still not "crew" - IMO.

He's not really a crew member, he's a guest performer. He happens to be there longer than a comedian or magician or whatever, but he's still not "crew" - IMO.

You're right, of course. Still ... I think it would be fun to meet an onboard person who had stumbled upon our roll call.

No, but if the Adagio Strings posted their own website URL that would be advertising - IMO. Again I ask: if TAs can't post an email address, why can a performer post a self-promoting (i.e. advertising) URL? (The "say hi" part doesn't bother me.)

Ok, now I think I understand your point...

I take it that you believe the post in question would be OK if the performer had not posted his Web site address, which is a form of advertising...

If that is what you are referring to then I have to change my position & agree with you...

However, IMO the OP has handled this improperly & has gone on to embarrass the performer by taking exception to his post on the main board..

Cruise Critic has a reporting system for Posts which one considers harrassing, rude or against policy...That's what the little exclamation point in the red triangle, in the upper right hand corner of all of our posts is for!

Cheers....:)Betty

I had never seen a post like this and was not complaining merely saying that I felt this was unusual. Yes, I did feel like he was "plugging" his appearance, and just didn't know if this was done.This only my second Rool Call participation.Gma Pajama nice to hear from you after the Wayfarer M&G of last year.

I will enjoy my cruise (and wiithout the Halcats thankyou); the strings are more my speed.

I am concerned though that the CC site may be changing. I now note that the excursion board is notated as advertising; maybe this has been going on for a while and I just caught on. I have used this site for info in outings in the past, not to find ads.

Oh well, sorry for any stepped on toes.

I am concerned though that the CC site may be changing. I now note that the excursion board is notated as advertising; maybe this has been going on for a while and I just caught on. I have used this site for info in outings in the past, not to find ads.

Oh well, sorry for any stepped on toes.

I think you've misunderstood. CruiseCritic has added a "section" for advertisers. This is separate, new, and different from the Ports of Call forums where CC members advise others..... If you look closely, you will see they are two distinct links.

I was actually impressed that he had taken the initiative to do that, to say essentially "I'll be performing in Mix, please stop by and say hello". It didn't bother me in the least and if it did I would have read it and in the future ignored this thread entirely. Come to think of it, that's what I do with a lot of posts.

So if the musician who is the subject of this now 2-page-long thread is reading this, good for you for thinking of something that other performers may wish they had thought of.

I was actually impressed that he had taken the initiative to do that, to say essentially "I'll be performing in Mix, please stop by and say hello". It didn't bother me in the least and if it did I would have read it and in the future ignored this thread entirely. Come to think of it, that's what I do with a lot of posts.

So if the musician who is the subject of this now 2-page-long thread is reading this, good for you for thinking of something that other performers may wish they had thought of.

I agree with Aruba 100%. If I was on this cruise I would surely stop by and say "hi." I see many threads with posters asking "who is entertaining on my cruise :confused:" This musician was letting the cruisers know he would be there. I don't think there was any other motive.

I think this like a new local store sending me mail asking me to "stop by and say hello". They're not just being friendly folks, they're trying to drum up business. That's called advertising. ;)

You are already on the ship..... you can make a choice to drop by or not. I like to know about entertainment.... Letting people know you are there is not high pressure. I would probably pop in to see what was going on... but then I usually like the piano bar. Seems pretty low key to me, and hardly worth worrying about.

Susan

I think this like a new local store sending me mail asking me to "stop by and say hello". They're not just being friendly folks, they're trying to drum up business. That's called advertising. ;)

What is the musician selling you?

[quote name='durangoscots']... you can make a choice to drop by or not ... Letting people know you are there is not high pressure.[/quote]And how does that differ from the "friendly" local store ad?

[quote name='Boytjie']What is the musician selling you?[/quote]He's trying to increase bar patronage. That would make him more popular with HAL.

[quote name='Aruba']I was actually impressed that he had taken the initiative to do that, to say essentially "I'll be performing in Mix, please stop by and say hello". It didn't bother me in the least and if it did I would have read it and in the future ignored this thread entirely. Come to think of it, that's what I do with a lot of posts.
So if the musician who is the subject of this now 2-page-long thread is reading this, good for you for thinking of something that other performers may wish they had thought of.[/quote]

I agree with Aruba and thought the same thing. It is great to hear that there is someone enthusiastic on-board.

Last fall on Maadam I would go up the outside stairs early in the morning to head to the gym. Each and every morning there would be the "Yoga Guy" with his few students. He had no energy, was always yawning, and looked bored out of his mind. My DH wanted me to contact HAL and see if he could teach some classes, for free, this year on Maasdam, (not yoga, but martial arts or self defence - depending on the audience) just so he would have something to do on the sea days.

It is good to hear some entertainer has been hired who appears to be excited about his contract.

[quote name='Jade13']It is good to hear some entertainer has been hired who appears to be excited about his contract.[/quote][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]That's fine, but the CC guidelines say:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Cruise Critic defines advertising as an individual or company's [B]attempt to generate business[/B] or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our Cruise Board. Solicitation includes, but is not limited to, requests to be E-mailed, the posting of phone numbers for your business, constantly mentioning that you are in the travel business, [B]and the referring to or posting of one's own Web site address[/B][/SIZE][/FONT].[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I don't see a request to be visited as much different than a request to be e-mailed, and he clearly posted his business web site address.[/SIZE][/FONT]

One post from a piano player does not seem too bad. How far does it have to go before roll call participants feel that it is advertising?

Hi, I'm Elena and I will be doing pedicures in the spa during your sailing. Stop and say hello.
Hi, I'm Ramon and I will be manning the blackjack table during your sailing. Stop and say hello.
Hi, I'm Olga and I will be playing the cello for the Adagio Strings during your sailing. Stop and say hello.
Hi, I'm Vladimir and I will be the internet manager during your sailing. Stop and say hello.
Hi, I'm Hector and I will be a photographer during your sailing. Stop and say hello.
Hi, I'm Fred and I will be selling gold by the inch during your sailing. Stop and say hello.

Those who feel that it is advertising can find the pianist's posts here and report them as inappropriate. [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/member.php?u=227592[/URL]

[quote name='catl331'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]That's fine, but the CC guidelines say:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I don't see a request to be visited as much different than a request to be e-mailed, and he clearly posted his business web site address.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=3]Why is it that some are so willing to point out errors of other posters, but are not willing to abide by [B]ALL[/B] the Cruise Critic Guidelines themselves ?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Yes he probably made a mistake by posting his WEB site address, according to the rule you posted..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]CC Guidelines go on to state: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [COLOR=red][B]Quote[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Staff members and our volunteers are here to provide you with an environment that is free from advertising and soliciting, free from harassment, vulgarity and disparaging statements, as well as providing you with a safe haven brought together by those sharing a mutual interest: cruising!
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE][COLOR=red][SIZE=3][B]We encourage you to utilize the reporting system built into the board system; you'll find a Report a Post icon located in the upper right hand corner of the posting. Use it! We will review the report and take appropriate action. Unquote
[/B]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3]If we expect others to adhere to the guidelines (especially advertising), then shouldn't we all adhere to the reporting guidelines..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I certainly am not going to report it, as I consider it a pure mistake & if I was on his cruise, I probably would be happy that he posted on my roll call & would go into the mix to say hi.. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]However, those who are put off & adamant about this being advertising, should also follow the CC rules of reporting & should not be debating the merits of his post here ! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I guess that goes for me too!;) [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Once this thread is brought to the Hosts attention it probably will be removed..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]JMO....Betty[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

[quote name='serendipity1499'][SIZE=3]However, those who are put off & adamant about this being advertising, should also follow the CC rules of reporting & should not be debating the merits of his post here ! [/SIZE]

[/quote]

Then they should also report the threads that have nothing to do with HAL per se, such as 'what's your favorte cocktail on a cruise'... Floataway Lounge perhaps? ;)

[quote name='Boytjie']Then they should also report the threads that have nothing to do with HAL per se, such as 'what's your favorte cocktail on a cruise'... Floataway Lounge perhaps? ;)[/quote]

LOL...:D:D

However, if it was What's your favorite cocktail on HAL, then is should be OK here..;););)

Oh My ... Just re-read my post - How embarrassing!

With all the run on sentences, some English majors/teachers will have a field day...Let's just say I've provided some good examples to use in class, so instead of pulling it apart, please send $$$$...

[quote name='serendipity1499'][SIZE=3]If we expect others to adhere to the guidelines (especially advertising), then shouldn't we all adhere to the reporting guidelines..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]However, those who are put off & adamant about this being advertising, should also follow the CC rules of reporting & should not be debating the merits of his post here ![/SIZE][/quote][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I did - yesterday. No Host ruling so far.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='catl331'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I did - yesterday. No Host ruling so far.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You really reported that post? I did not see anything wrong with it.

I remember awhile back where the girlfriend (cannot remember wich cruiseline) of the piano player was telling people that they should remember to put money in the tip jar of the entertainers.

Archived