Why do I keep reading Istanbul isn't for kids?

Our cruise is now going to Istanbul instead of Alexandria/Cairo. We are traveling with kids ages 7, 9 & 11. One of my favorite things I read about Egypt was that babysitters are rarely used and children are accepted everywhere. I've been scowled at in France for taking my kids out to eat, so this was good news to me. (And while my kids sat patiently through a 2.5 hour traditional French dinner, the dog under the table behind us barked several times!!)

Now, I'm frantically reading about Istanbul and have read in my guidebook and see things like this on the web: http://www.kirkit.com/ist_family.php "Istanbul is not a great city for kids." but I can't figure out *why* they make these comments.

Will my children not be welcome or will we be scowled at while touring Aya Sofya and the Blue Mosque? Should we stick to street vendor/fast food and not attempt a restaurant? Anyone with experience taking kids to Istanbul?

My kids were 7, 12 and 14 at the time.

My daughter stayed on the boat, her request. I to this day regret it not dragging her.

Its a mixed list of +/- like almost every port in Europe/Med you can ask will my kids like to see historical and cultural different things.

The palace was pretty interesting, to se claimed biblical stuff, jewerly of sultans

Blue Mosque and St Sophia less so

Spice Bazaar was enjoyable as just the atmosphere.

If it is safety we didn't feel anything worse or better than other ports. But I did see all lot of police just sitting around Blue Mosque and started thinking Midnight Express :eek:

Our cruise is now going to Istanbul instead of Alexandria/Cairo. We are traveling with kids ages 7, 9 & 11. One of my favorite things I read about Egypt was that babysitters are rarely used and children are accepted everywhere. I've been scowled at in France for taking my kids out to eat, so this was good news to me. (And while my kids sat patiently through a 2.5 hour traditional French dinner, the dog under the table behind us barked several times!!)

Now, I'm frantically reading about Istanbul and have read in my guidebook and see things like this on the web: http://www.kirkit.com/ist_family.php "Istanbul is not a great city for kids." but I can't figure out *why* they make these comments.

Will my children not be welcome or will we be scowled at while touring Aya Sofya and the Blue Mosque? Should we stick to street vendor/fast food and not attempt a restaurant? Anyone with experience taking kids to Istanbul?

Wow, for the life of me I cannot figure this out....I too would like a "why" as to this comment you read. To state something like that and then not explain the reasons is well, just weird.

We have visited both Egypt (recently did a 15 day tour) and Turkey (both Istanbul and Kusadasi) and saw children (tourists) in both, altho not in great numbers. I can't imagine why a guidebook would say Istanbul is not for kids. We found it to be clean (extremely so), friendly and full of "neat" stuff to do (for adults or kids)

Most of the sights are close together which makes it even easier with younger ones in tow......

Topkapi palace is good, Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque too. But be sure and visit the Basilica Cistern - the kids will love it ! The Grand Bazaar will be interesting to them if you make it fun...... be sure and give each one an "allowance" to spend and perhaps even make it a type of "scavenger hunt" experience. There are wonderful maps that show each section of the bazaar and what is sold in each area. You could also give each child a disposable camera and see what comes out of that !!!! Make sure they are included in the research about what there is to do, about Istanbuls history and also about how they live there (religion etc)

You will find that your kids will definately be accepted and welcomed in Istanbul. They love kids. There are numerous restaurants located right near the main sites - we ate at one right on the large park and we ate outside and people watched. It was located on the corner diagonally from the entrance to Basilica Cistern and was called Bodrum Restaurant. We saw many local families with children picnicing on the grass near the Blue Mosque as we were going in. Also - lots of local kids fishing from the Galata Bridge.

Go - take your kids to Istanbul. They will not regret it. It is one of our favorites places !

Worth checking out what the same folk say about kids & Cairo?

I wonder whether its just that they don't think the place would appeal to kids?

Istanbul is way more suitable than Cairo, in every respect - safety, cleanliness, interest.

What interests your kids may be different to others, they may find Hagia Sophia boring, but Istanbul's sights are a lot less stuffy & dusty than Cairo's and I think they're of an age to be enthralled by most of what they see.

If they can hack a long traditional french dinner, they can hack sitting at table in Istanbul, no problem. And hosts & fellow-diners wont be a problem either.

Shame to miss the bucket-list pyramids, but Istanbul is a way more interesting and welcoming city.

John Bull

I am guessing it has to do with the aggressive nature of the vendors. When we were there my daughter was 14 and several street vendors tried to engage her in conversation, sometimes with conversations surrounding "future husbands" and such. She was not offended, she just laughed but some might not like it. In the bazzar the vendors were also pretty aggressive, again they would use our daughter as a way to get us to stop (didn't work). I think some children could misunderstand that they do not mean any harm, it is their culture.

Kirk

I think I have figured out one part of it - there's no discount for children in museums, etc. It's a shock to see how much the entry fees for everything are going to cost. Ouch! That's a lot of money to be spending if your kids end up not enjoying it or keeping you from enjoying it.

Hi Kirk,

Now that really does make me wonder what it says about Cairo in dijid's guide book :)

Regards,

JB

I never bought the Cairo book! I don't really believe in psychic powers, but I'd had a bad feeling about my cruise since we booked it. A week after booking, I told my sister about this sense of dread I had and couldn't shake. First time I haven't looked forward to a vacation. I added a tour book for each port of call to my Amazon shopping cart and just as I was to check out, I deleted the Egypt one. I also had been torn between two different Turkey books and ended up getting the bigger one, even though we only have one day in Izmir and I'd booked a tour for that port. Now I have lots of info on Turkey and they recommend Basilica Cistern, a Bosphorus cruise and playgrounds for the kids. No mention of taking the kids anywhere else.

I agree John!

I don't want my comments to cause someone to think Istanbul is not safe for kids, we enjoyed our trip immensely but it is a very different culture. The cistern would be great for kids, no doubt, plus it is nice and cool, a welcome break from summertime heat ;).

I would hate for them to miss the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia as they are quite a sight to see. Our favorite stop was the Topkapi Palace but not sure kids would agree.

Enjoy your trip!

Kirk

I think some guidebooks assume kids aren't interested in anything other than a Disneyworld experience!

Honestly, I think Istanbul will be very interesting for your children. Unlike some places, there aren't a lot of "must see" museums or paintings or sculptures. Instead, the best of Istanbul is experienced by just walking around (and inside) some places that are very different to what they would see anywhere else.

Of course the Cistern will be interesting. If they've never been in a mosque, the Blue Mosque should be pretty cool (and no admission charge), especially if you explain to your kids about why they have to take off their shoes, why Muslims wash before praying, etc. I think Topkapi might be a little on the dull side, except for the museum rooms where they can see fantastic jewels (the Topkapi dagger, etc) and other over-the-top possessions of the Sultans. The Harem quarters, if you are interested, are a separate charge but to me were one of the best things in Topkapi (there is nothing inappropriate for children).

If you just pre-warn your kids about the sales pitches, there's no reason to skip the Grand Bazaar or (maybe even more interesting for kids) the Spice Bazaar. These two places also have no admission fee. :D If your kids have ever been to some of the Caribbean or Mexican ports, they will already be somewhat used to people approaching them and trying to get them to buy something -- it's certainly not unique to Istanbul.

I agree John!

I don't want my comments to cause someone to think Istanbul is not safe for kids, we enjoyed our trip immensely but it is a very different culture. The cistern would be great for kids, no doubt, plus it is nice and cool, a welcome break from summertime heat ;).

I would hate for them to miss the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia as they are quite a sight to see. Our favorite stop was the Topkapi Palace but not sure kids would agree.

Enjoy your trip!

Kirk

Just to add to Kirk's post - the cistern is featured in a James Bond film. And a second day in the city allows either a silly-cheap day-return ferry up the Bosphorus to the Black Sea, or a very short silly-cheap local ferry trip up the Golden Horn about 3 stops to Haskoy Park and its engineering museum (planes & boats & trains - plus antique cars, steam traction engines etc), small admission charge. I can give more details if the OP wants

JB

The reality is that it all depends on the kids. Our daughter was a terrific traveler by the age of 9 when we took her to Europe and covered 4 countries using Eurorail Passes. Now, about twenty years later, she still remembers most of the details of that fun trip. And no, we did not go to EuroDisney. We have seen children and teens have terrific times on European cruises and on land, and we have seen others who were totally miserable. As to Istanbul, there is more then enough in that city to keep many kids happy, but some kids are going to hate anything. Our advice is to get your kids involved in the trip planning long before the trip. Have them do some of their own research and let them make suggestions on how they want to spend their days ashore. Not only is that somewhat educational, but most kids tend to like things when they have a part in making the decisions. Its the parents that force their kids to do things that usually pay the big price.......making everyone miserable.

Hank

Our kids, ages 15 and 11, really enjoyed Istanbul. We rode the tram from the port to Sultanhamet and visited the Hagia Sophia (which definitely did have a reduced price for children), Blue Mosque, Basilica Cisterns, and Grand Bazaar. Don't underestimate the tram ride! Our kids were thrilled with it. The tram was quite crowded with local people who, when they heard us speaking English, offered their seats to us. Even a pregnant woman with a small child tried to get up and give us her seat. The kids found this gesture amazing.

Spend thousands on a cabin, thousands more on airfare and worried about the delta in price between child and adult in Turkey ?

I think I have figured out one part of it - there's no discount for children in museums, etc. It's a shock to see how much the entry fees for everything are going to cost. Ouch! That's a lot of money to be spending if your kids end up not enjoying it or keeping you from enjoying it.

We'll be spending two days in Istanbul this summer on an E. Med cruise with our two daughters who will be 14 and 8. We will be going to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi and the Bazaar. I wouldn't dream of going to Istanbul and missing these things. I tend to ignore guidebooks that suggest kids can't enjoy a place unless there are waterslides or rollercoasters or unless it's specifically a children's museum or the like. I admit that I'm lucky in that my daughters both love to travel and explore new countries as much as my husband and I do (perhaps b/c they've both been travelling since they were 4 months old) but I do believe that most children are very open-minded and naturally curious about new places. Involve them in your planning so that they have learned about the destination and can get excited and anticipate what they will see and do. Then take them to all the amazing sights in Istanbul or any other city and you may be surprised to find that what fascinates them and what they remember the most is something that was never supposed to appeal to kids at all.

Lisa

We'll be spending two days in Istanbul this summer on an E. Med cruise with our two daughters who will be 14 and 8. We will be going to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi and the Bazaar. I wouldn't dream of going to Istanbul and missing these things. I tend to ignore guidebooks that suggest kids can't enjoy a place unless there are waterslides or rollercoasters or unless it's specifically a children's museum or the like. I admit that I'm lucky in that my daughters both love to travel and explore new countries as much as my husband and I do (perhaps b/c they've both been travelling since they were 4 months old) but I do believe that most children are very open-minded and naturally curious about new places. Involve them in your planning so that they have learned about the destination and can get excited and anticipate what they will see and do. Then take them to all the amazing sights in Istanbul or any other city and you may be surprised to find that what fascinates them and what they remember the most is something that was never supposed to appeal to kids at all.

Lisa

They are lucky kids !!! ps: Don't forget the Basilica Cistern. Right across the street from Hagia Sofia and very cool.

Never underestimate the ability of kids to adapt. When we took our daughter to Paris at the ripe old age of 9, her mother told her to make sure and pack a pair of dress shoes. She listened to her mother and did pack dress shoes, but they were shoes she had outgrown months before the trip. Once we arrived in Paris she told her Mom her shoes did not fit and ask if we would take her out to buy new shoes in Paris! Smart kid :)

Hank

As Hank, Cynthia and others have noted, much does depend on your kids, their interests, etc. BUT, if your kids are being taken on this cruise, you must know or understand that they are the kind of children who enjoy some aspects of history, interesting history and architecture, etc. I view Istanbul as super exotic and fascinating. You might grab, maybe from your public libraries or Amazon, such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. These resources, especially the visual ones, can help you and your family better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see. That early research and family "involvement" can be very important to make your trip work well.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

OP here- Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to address what was brougth up:

Yes, my kids are very interested in history, love to travel and have already been very involved in choosing what we're doing at each port. While they love amusement parks, they also like old churches, museums and even trying new food. They share my and DH's love of adventure and travel, most likely because they've never known any other way. My older two have been reading "Learning through History" magazines and my tour guides in preparation for this trip.

I started this thread because I was afraid there might be something about Istanbul I didn't know, that other parents might. It seems that there isn't anything to fear, which is good to know.

As for the chipmaster's comment about costs - well, not everyone has the same budget. We're actually doing this cruise on a shoe string budget. Being ex-pats living within driving distance to the port saved us a fortune in airfare. When we booked, inside rooms were $599 for the first two people, and the majority of our travel budget comes from a gift from my parents. So, yes, I raise an eyebrow when I realize that it's going to cost over $100 (and closer to 100€) for admission to Topkapi Palace alone. Because my kids are so disappointed about not getting to see the pyramids (my son actually cried when I told him of the itinerary change) I would like to start saving for a future trip to Egypt which in all likelihood might never happen.

John Bull - I would love some additional information about what you did when you were in Istanbul. Thanks!

John Bull - I would love some additional information about what you did when you were in Istanbul. Thanks!

A few days, flying in & out, staying near the Blue Mosque in an inexpensive Ottoman house - love to stay in "local" accommodation rather than chain hotels. By chance, during Ramadan - pluses & minuses, mainly pluses.

Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Cistern, skipped Topkapi - not our scene, Grand Bazaar (amazing), Spice Bazaar, other sights, but mainly just people-watching & soaking up the atmosphere, its a pretty hectic city.

You'll get to know Galata Bridge (over Golden Horn) quite well, its between ship & Sultanahmet, where those & most other sights are.

Best you take the tram from ship to Blue Mosque, then wind your way back downhill on foot via your choice of sights to Galata Bridge.

We used ferries a lot. Cheap & such fun, by the south end of Galata Bridge (Eminonu) is a ferry hub.

Took a taxi to the Black Sea, lunch, returned down the Bosphorus by ferry. Not the most economical way, but we were too late in the day for ferry both ways. One way by ferry about 2 hrs from shaky memory

Took a ferry from Galata Bridge to island (Buyukda?) in the Sea of Marmaris, about an hour ? each way. Good views of Sultanahmet from the ferry, but don't make this ferry trip a must-do

Took a ferry from Galata Bridge up the Golden Horn (end destination of ferry is Eyup), for 3 or 4 stops/mebbe 20 mins, saw http://www.rmk-museum.org.tr/english/ from the ferry (ferry stop Haskoy Park) so hopped off to investigate. Website not brilliant, it mentions only a small proportion of the larger exhibits & precious little mention of the hundreds of smaller objects. But an excellent museum of 19th/20th century transport, engineering, household appliances etc etc. And like most of Istanbul, so cheap. Even if such a museum isn't your scene, the ferry trip is an experience & a great way to see bits of the city.

Ferries are also very relaxing in a busy city.

Its not worth bothering with a ferry (or taxi) to the Asian side unless you want to tick your Asia box, it's mainly residential suburbs.

There's a few sights, incl tower & funicular on the north (cruiseship) side of Galata Bridge.

We used local currency exclusively. You can get away with USD in most shops, bazaars, restaurants etc, but you'll need local for tram, ferries, admissions, don't know about taxis. Carry a mix, use local instead of USD late in the day to use up excess.

Hope this helps

JB

Archived