Radiance - Alaska Question

Hey all, I have a question:

A couple of years ago I was on the Jewel for a New England cruise. I loved, loved, loved her. I thought she was a beautiful ship. Next year I promised my mother a trip to Alaska. Obviously I first thought of the Radiance since she's identical to the Jewel and I loved the Jewel so much. But I have a two part question here:

I realize there is a Radiance thread, and I've looked through that thread some, but there is so much to that thread for a newbie and I don't know where in it I'd find my answer: what would be a preferable balcony cabin on the Radiance for the Alaskan cruise?

Also, and this question is for those of you who've been on more than RCI: I'm trying to figure out which cruise line I should take. I've been on Carnival twice and Royal Caribbean twice. I've seen Carnival bashed a bit but honestly, my experiences on it were good both times -but I must admit to being 13 yrs old on one of those trips.

Obviously the Radiance is a big plus to sail with RCI since I love that ship design. The negative is no round trip itinerary. I'd take the Vancouver - Seward, AK route. But then I'd need to go back to Vancouver.

I've also been checking out Celebrity (which basically has the same itinerary as RCI), Carnival, Princess and Norwegian. I like the Norwegian itinerary the best (and it's round trip out of Seattle) but I'm currently seeing Norwegian slammed as a cruise line and I know nothing about them to know what to listen to and what to take with a grain of salt. I like the Carnival itinerary the least so I won't be considering that cruise line.

RCI is at the top of my list b/c of the ship and b/c the last two cruises I took were with RCI and that is what I'm most familiar with. The only other negative I had with RCI was the food in the MDR. I was less than impressed with it but loved Chops. I've seen the food debates on this board and am not trying to start that - but my personal opinion is that l wasn't thrilled with about 45 - 50% of the food served in the MDR and I don't consider myself a picky eater.

I know Celebrity is owned by RCI (?). I think a long time ago on the Celebrity board I asked about the differences between Celebrity and RCI -such as food comparisons, ect. But I don't think I asked that question on this board.

Norwegian, again, I like their itinerary the best and the pictures of their ship looks nice. I'm just currently reading a lot of hate toward that cruise line. Anyone on here done both RCI and Norwegian who can compare them for me?

Princess - I don't know much about them but my impression (and it could be a false impression) is that it's more for the 70+ crowd. I'll be 33 on this cruise and my mother will be 57.

Sorry this is so long. I just really don't know how to narrow down my search and only Norwegian has their 2012 bookings listed. When will RCI show their 2012 dates?

Thanks.

Not sure why you would need to get back to Vancouver?...We did the Northbound on the Radiance..While most say on that itinerary you should have a starboard side cabin, we had #1050 portside and actually thought we had the better side for the sailout under LionsGate Bridge and past Stanley Park, and all our ports actually gave us the better views of the towns (although that can't be guaranteed since the port docking location is predetermined when the scheduling is done but how the captain docks is up to him and the harbor master at the time of docking). But really there are no bad balcony locations on an inside passageway cruise in Alaska, you might also want to consider one of the true aft cabins with the wake view..This will be my next choice when we book again for the 2012 season..As far as arriving into Seward we opted for the RCI train transfers (google Grand View Train Alaska for info and pics) from Seward that leaves only steps from where the ship docks at approx 8:30am and it took us right to the door of the Anchorage airport arriving approx 11:30pm..This narrated train trip was one of the highlights of our cruise !!! We then flew home from ANC, but just remember your flight home can be no earlier than 1:30pm..

Enjoy your cruise to Alaska, it's AMAZING !!!!

I did the 14 day Alaska cruise on Radiance last September. It was fantastic!

It's a beautiful ship with a very friendly, professional ship. Also the Radiance has much more glass with outside views than the other ships you mentioned.

Book the Radiance!

Princess will have ALL ages on Alaskan cruises...don't worry about being the "youngest" aboard! And, they've been doing the Alaskan run a long time...and, folks seem to love the food...both Celebrity and Princess will have better food than RCI and Carnival and NCL!

Since you go to Alaska to see the sights, and not so much for the ship, I'd pick whatever fit my timeframe and budget! I wouldn't worry overly much about the actual ship or cruiseline!

When you decide which ship, get a copy of the deck plans, and THEN book your cabin...misdships is always better, if you can't get a true aft cabin...but do have the deck plans in front of you!

We are going on a northbound cruise too. I have read that the scenery gets better and better the further north we go. We love RCCL and stick with them because of cashing in RCCL Visa points. We saved points for 3 years and cashed them in for 1000 off our cruise.

If your budget allows, your Radiance trip could be round trip, if you stay onboard for another week. I would love to do that some day.

We love the Radiance class too. Have fun planning your trip.

p.s. RCCL should have their 2012 itineraries out this spring. I think we booked ours on April 14 last year. I'm pretty sure I booked it on the first day the schedules were out.

I would love to do a round trip on the Radiance but while my mother hopes to retire next year, I'll still be working a full-time job and while I'll still have more vacation time, I should probably return to work after a week off.

I said returning to Vancouver b/c I'm thinking about airfare. Hopefully I won't be paying any airfare. I should have enough airline points for free airfare. Would it complicate my airfare too much to fly one way into Vancouver and one way back out of Alaska?

I guess that I'm leaning more toward RCI or Celebrity. They both have the same itinerary. I know that I would like the Radiance and someone here just mentioned that Celebrity would have the better food. Anymore pros/cons between those two ships?

Anyone think NCL is a bad idea? I have been lurking on the NCL board but most of them are NCL fans, like the majority of you on this board are RCI fans. I guess I'm looking for a few opposing views of that cruise line to weigh in consideration.

Thanks Ashland for the portside advice. I was considering more midship than aft but I'll take your consideration of booking an aft room with a wake view.

Depending on who your points are with and the carrier you're using would determine this..When you look at air use the "multicity" option.We were booked Burbank thru Portland to Vancouver outbound and Anchorage non stop to LAX on the return....And just a bit of our experience , that if using Alaska air..when we arrived at the Anchorage airport we went directly to Alaska Air and asked if they had any first class upgrades (Alaska air is one of the few carriers that will offer first class upgrades day of departure for approx $100-150pp if available) and they did..and what a difference our long flight was back to LAX..Good luck and enjoy !!!

To answer your question, the preferable and best balcony for Alaska is an aft balcony. You do need to book these balconies a year in advance. We booked ours a year in advance and RCCL already called and offered to move us to a Junior Suite if we would consider giving up our corner aft to someone who wanted it. :confused: We declined.

Am on Radiance the end of this month for the first time being in one of the corner aft cabins for the first time. This due to my "trial run" to test out the cabin and the ship for our 2012 trip on the Northbound cruise.

No need for a b2b, as we want to do a self tour for 4-5 days post cruise around the Denalli area. A no brainer to connect back in Anchorage to Vancouver for our return flight connection home from there.

Now I just need a crystal ball to tell me when those cabins open up to book!! :eek:

We were on the Radiance last September on a southbound into Vancouver. You will have gorgeous scenery on either side of the ship. The captain was fantastic. While cruising in the glaciers we sat on our balcony the entire day and didn't miss a thing. I loved this ship and would certainly sail on it again. Enjoy Alaska. We can't wait to go back

While there are some better runs than the Radiance, you will not find a better suited ship to Alaska. This is one run that you will want a balcony. Alaska is so stunning. The train ride from Seward to Anchorage is especially unique an scenic.

You may want to take a couple of extra days in Anchorage before heading back.

Check out the Alaska port board. You will find a LOT of good information there on all the lines and what to do. Good move on the one way from Vancouver, it really is a great trip.

Most people that have sailed on both RCCL and NCL, including my friend and cruise buddy, say the service and food are a step down from RCCL.

The Radiance, as you've read above, has a stellar reputation. I'm not at all sure about the NCL ship. If you go to the main page for CruiseCritic and look for ship reviews, just check the scores and compare them. Written reviews are very subjective.

We went on the Rhapsody last September, Seattle-Inside Passage-Vancouver, and had an amazing cruise! I really don't think you can go wrong on the Radiance.

I loved the Radiance in Alaska! We took the train from Seward to Anchorage which was wonderful! From there we rented a car and spent two nights in the Denali area to go to the park and see Mt. McKinley. Beautiful drive. Maybe try to take a couple of extra days off work? I did! The Radiance is a beautiful ship.

I'm trying to figure out which cruise line I should take. I've been on Carnival twice and Royal Caribbean twice. I've seen Carnival bashed a bit but honestly, my experiences on it were good both times -but I must admit to being 13 yrs old on one of those trips.

Last May I took a cruise on Carnival Spirit round trip from Seattle and I LOVED it. - This is coming from a 37 year old female who doesn't "party" and was traveling solo (so take that how you will) The food was excellent, the activities were fun (I won so many bottles of champagne playing the various trivia games!!), the scenery of course was breath taking!! I didn't think there was anything wrong with the itinerary - but it could have changed since last year.

Here are my pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/rlacow/CarnivalSpiritAlaskaMay1118?feat=directlink

I wanted to see more of Alaska this time - and I love Vancouver so a cruise on the Radiance made perfect sense to me (I have never sailed her before, but I hear such praise - not to mention it will get all spiffed up during its Spring dry dock)... but a cruise to Alaska is going to be awesome whichever cruise line you choose!

I appreciate everything everyone has said. Thanks for pic's of the Spirit, Oscar_the_Grouch's_Sis. Right now I think I will book the Radiance whenever the 2012 dates are released. After looking further into this, I'm considering a Junior Suite over a balcony cabin.

I wouldn't go on the NCL Star, that's for sure, but the Pearl is a ship that I would sail on.;)

However, don't go out of Seattle, and that is where the NCL ships sail from.

The best itineraries are from Vancouver, whether they are round-trip or one ways.

You will find that cruises from Seattle may be cheaper, and it's probably cheaper to fly into Seattle for you if you're American. However, there is always a reason, and cheaper doesn't always mean better. ;)

The itineraries and scenery are better out of Vancouver, as the ships don't go out into the Pacific like the ones from Seattle do. Also, the seas are calmer, as the ships are protected by Vancouver Island (that also contributes to the scenery).

And nothing beats sailing out of Vancouver under the Lions Gate Bridge on a sunny day. Absolutely nothing.

Just my two cents about cabin location. I would definately choose a starboard balcony whether it is a JR suite or reg. balcony. When we did ours last year the ship was only able to pull into glacier bay with the starboard side facing the glacier. I know this was not norm but I would rather spend my time viewing the glacier from my balcony than have to be out on the public decks. We were told they always pull in starboard side first and then if possible turn the ship and have port side face the glaciers. Too much ice was falling and floating to be able to turn the ship so those on port had to leave their cabins if they wanted to see the glacier.

Just my two cents about cabin location. I would definately choose a starboard balcony whether it is a JR suite or reg. balcony. When we did ours last year the ship was only able to pull into glacier bay with the starboard side facing the glacier. I know this was not norm but I would rather spend my time viewing the glacier from my balcony than have to be out on the public decks. We were told they always pull in starboard side first and then if possible turn the ship and have port side face the glaciers. Too much ice was falling and floating to be able to turn the ship so those on port had to leave their cabins if they wanted to see the glacier.

You mean Hubbard Glacier, right? RCI does not go to Glacier Bay...

I've sailed Alaska on Radiance 4 times, and always been lucky enough for the ship to fully rotate so everyone can see the glacier easily. But as you say, it sounds like your experience was an exception and not the norm.

IMO, balconies are a limiting place for glacier viewing. Being out on open decks provides the best views

Archived