pet peeves

My pet peeve - people telling me my boys are polite & well behaved! I really want to be the mom of one of the hooligans running up the hall after pushing all the elevator buttons of course after they ran over people to get on the elevator first ;):p;)

Seriously I really try not to have peeves while on board, sometimes my family tells me I need to relax. I really hate when people don't use the tongs to take food off the buffet - they use their fingers!

How thats an EEEEEWWWWWWW and not to much bothers me except when I was on Celebrity and this guy went through the buffet with NO shirt on and he was hairy chested , and the people of Celebrity saw no problem with it.

My problem is with the chair hogs at the pool. There are people that get up at 7:00, put their books and towels on the chair, then go get breakfast. Come back around 8:00 hang out for about 1 hour leave (who knows where) with the book and towel in place. Come back about 11:00, then will hang for about 1 more hour and then take lunch. I think you get the idea. I have been on 7 cruises and have observed this method. I love hanging in the sun but I stay put for the whole time. I only leave to get food and bring it back. When I am with a party I do feel guilty when they take to long to get food. Everyone gives you the look. Are those seats taken?

Each of your pet peeves make sense to me, and I agree wholeheartedly -- with one exception, kids in the hot tubs. Frankly, as long as they -- and I'll add ADULTS to the mix as well -- are acting within the norms of accepted social graces, they can spend the entire cruise in the hot tub.

Michael

Fellow Manalapaner!

I tend to take the stairs, as it's usually faster and it's good exercise; but the people who use the elevator to go one deck don't really bother me. The elevators are there for everyone to use. Even if they're being lazy, what does it matter? It's their vacation too -- and if you can't be lazy on a cruise ship, where can you?

But there is absolutely NO EXCUSE to push your way ahead of others.

My pet peeve is how LOUD they play the music on the pool deck. I guess most people must like it, because lots of folks are there hanging out as the music blares; but I find it so uncomfortable that I'll just go somewhere else, and use the pool when the musicians aren't there.

Stick with me, Grasshopper. I will be your ice cream sensei! LOL!! ;)

I think you've found your calling!

:cool:Just read a review of an Enchantment sailing, and a point was brought up that is a sore spot with me, especially with the Enchantment having been stretched, and not making some public rooms larger. The point brought out was the Windjammer on sailing day. Every one rushes onboard and heads to the Windjammer for lunch. Great, I do also. BUT, eat and then get out. The reviewer pointed out that there was people hanging out at tables just waiting for their rooms to be ready. People even playing cards. Folks---eat, and get out. That room is for eating. There are plenty of other places available to hang out. Eat and leave. Other pet peeves come to mind---Elevators for instance. When the door opens, don't rush in. Let folks get off before you charge in. Chair hogs in theather and pool. Kids in hot tubs spending hours. Eating around pool area, and leaving dishes around. When done, put things back or in trash cans. This is not a pig pen. Folks pushing ahead of you in line in Windjammer. These are some of things which bother me. How about you??:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Nope don't need to.You pretty well covered it all

I hate it when people think they know everything about cruising when they have only been on like one cruise! And when people call it a boat! it's a ship not a boat!

I hate that too! Plus floor vice deck, kitchen vice galley, etc. But I realize that not everyone on board has been in the Navy or Coast Guard or has owned a boat (or a ship!).

I even used to get upset when the weather people would mispronounce the word "leeward".

My reaction to all the rude and pushy Europeans on the Costa cruise we took last month was to be even ruder and pushier than they were. Hopefully my fellow cruisers on the Oasis this coming June will be better mannered.

EJKorvette on the boards

Oh I completely understand, and I would certainly not judge anybody based on whether they "look" able-bodied or not. But I'm sure there are those that can easily walk down (or up!) a flight of stairs that don't do so for whatever reasons. Those are the ones I was referring to.:)

Yup! I wonder sometimes, too!

OK, I confess; another peeve..............................

It drive me nutso to keep reading about the "dinning" room on cruise ships. I have never understood that particular spelling error. Maybe it's a "finger fart" on the keyboard???????????

My problem is with the chair hogs at the pool. There are people that get up at 7:00, put their books and towels on the chair, then go get breakfast. Come back around 8:00 hang out for about 1 hour leave (who knows where) with the book and towel in place. Come back about 11:00, then will hang for about 1 more hour and then take lunch. I think you get the idea. I have been on 7 cruises and have observed this method. I love hanging in the sun but I stay put for the whole time. I only leave to get food and bring it back. When I am with a party I do feel guilty when they take to long to get food. Everyone gives you the look. Are those seats taken?

Agreed! Chair hogs are a HUGE problem. Last summer on the Adventure they had signs that personal belongings would be removed from chairs if unused but I don't know if they ever enforced that. So at any given time you have 1/3 of loungers occupied by a book while people can't find a place to sit. If you're in the pool or tub, that's one thing, but most of these books belong to people who are gone for an hour or more! Something must be done about that!

I wonder if one way to deal with that would be to have pool busters from the entertainment staff. They should make a big to-do about busting the book or towel, take it to jail, turn it into a street bust and make a joke out of it. Pool guys aren't suited for that because their role is utilitarian, if they did anything like that cruisers would get mad at them. Probably the pool guy can point out which chair has been empty for a very long time and let the entertainers take it from there. I think it needs to be someone who is acting or maybe a small group of actors and do it up like it's entertainment. And it certainly would be entertainment to most of us, wouldn't it?

But something needs to be done about it!

I'm so sorry to hear that Ryano. When I'm waiting for an elevator, I would never even think about going in front of a disabled person, and I would always let them on first, no matter how long or how many more elevator rides I'd have to wait for. (and, no matter how rude they may be, Texancruzer).

Actually, I let the folks in a wheelchair go first too. And if the wait gets too long, like sometimes last year, I just take the stairs a couple of decks up. Mmmmm, come to think of it, did it quite often last year. Maybe that's why I didn't gain weight during a two week cruise.... :eek: :D

Have a nice day everyone

Cindy

I love cruising and ultimately, none of the things on my list are a big deal. But, if I had to pick some, here are a few:

• Unsupervised young kids in the hot tubs. Of course, I have no problem with kids in the hot tubs. However, I do wish that their parents would supervise them. On our recent cruise, we had multiple instances of young kids (4 - 8 age) jump right in the hot tub. They would swim in the middle, push their way in between my husband and I, etc, etc. No adult was in the hot tub with them and when I looked around, I couldn't identify anyone on deck "keeping an eye" on them. No parent ever came to give them some tips on how not to be rude to other people in the hot tub.
  • People who insist on crowding themselves onto obviously overfull elevators. One evening, my husband and I were going up to an event on the pool deck. We chose not to take the stairs as I was in dressy shoes that were not appropriate for 6 flights of stairs. The elevators were extremely crowded and we had to wait a long time for one - no problem! Once one with enough space for us came, we got on. The elevator proceeded to stop at every floor. After a few more people got on (and there was virtually no space left anyway), it eventually started buzzing to indicate the weight limit was exceeded. When we got to the next floor, we told people "Sorry, we can't take anyone else, this elevator is at the weight limit." At each floor we stopped, people refused to listen to us! We had to wait while they insisted on getting on, the buzzer went off, they hesitated waiting for someone else to volunteer to get off :confused: and then they reluctantly removed themselves.

I've never been on a cruise before (but ppl complain abt this at hotels too)... Chair Hogs... I know they

probably don't enforce the rule onboard because there will be a whole other issue of people's stuff

mysteriously missing and it being the ship crew's fault... Or ppl being charged for towels and claiming

they only left is on the pool deck for a minute... Here's my suggestion (They do this at my gym for people

the hog lockers), use the ticket system. Get some bright coloured sticky paper and time stamp it with the

time and post it on unattended and towel-occupied chairs. If the time stamp is still there after an hour,

THEN the staff can remove the stuff and chuck it in a lost and found bin somewhere... That's just my

suggestion, I'm not big on lounge chairs anyhow... :o

Jack, agree with your peeve and will add mine. On our Enchantment cruise the majority of the cruise population was the "nearly dead". They spent all their time sleeping in any open space-all day! There were few spots that did not have a snoozing soul in it, mouth hanging open and loud snoring. If you need sleep that badly, go to your cabin, do not settle in public areas and park your scooter,walker or cane in the passageway blocking the the open areas for walking.
Remember, old age isn't contagious you will get it all on your own if you are lucky. Don't know if I am nearly dead yet, as you so politely put it,but I am old, I do use a walker and I love to cruise. I try to keep the walker out of the way, I probably have been caught snoozing in public and I won't bore you with how rude some people are because I need the walker.I have no intention of stopping my beloved cruises because old age offends you.Good luck in the future.:rolleyes:

Remember, old age isn't contagious you will get it all on your own if you are lucky. Don't know if I am nearly dead yet, as you so politely put it,but I am old, I do use a walker and I love to cruise. I try to keep the walker out of the way, I probably have been caught snoozing in public and I won't bore you with how rude some people are because I need the walker.I have no intention of stopping my beloved cruises because old age offends you.Good luck in the future.:rolleyes:

You tell them , I never knew there was a "rule" on where you could take a nap. You know I am amazed at how people can be sometimes.

My pet peeve is trying to find somewhere quiet to read. There just is no such place. They play music or have TV's going everywhere. On my last cruise I went up to the Viking Crown Lounge and it was basically empty, but still music playing. I did my best to ignore that. But then a group of people came and sat down and conversed LOUDLY amongst themselves and were drinking so just got louder with their talk and laughter. Now I understand they are on vacation too, so I just left but it would have been nice if they would have chosen tables further away so they wouldn't have been laughing and talking right in my ear. I wish cruise lines would have a designated room just for quiet reading. I like to read for an hour or two each day on a cruise, and it would just be nice to have somewhere to go that they are not playing music or a TV is blaring. The library would be nice, but most of them are not enclosed and still quite noisy.

My pet peeve is trying to find somewhere quiet to read. There just is no such place. They play music or have TV's going everywhere. On my last cruise I went up to the Viking Crown Lounge and it was basically empty, but still music playing. I did my best to ignore that. But then a group of people came and sat down and conversed LOUDLY amongst themselves and were drinking so just got louder with their talk and laughter. Now I understand they are on vacation too, so I just left but it would have been nice if they would have chosen tables further away so they wouldn't have been laughing and talking right in my ear. I wish cruise lines would have a designated room just for quiet reading. I like to read for an hour or two each day on a cruise, and it would just be nice to have somewhere to go that they are not playing music or a TV is blaring. The library would be nice, but most of them are not enclosed and still quite noisy.

Your stateroom is always an option. Also, if you don't mind being outside, you can always find a quiet area on the deck away from the pools. Just a thought.

Your stateroom is always an option. Also, if you don't mind being outside, you can always find a quiet area on the deck away from the pools. Just a thought.

Yes, my stateroom is an option and normally that is my choice because we almost always cruise in a balcony room. There is nothing I enjoy more on a cruise than spending an hour or two every afternoon in the sun, on my own balcony, enjoying the sounds of the water, the breeze and a good book. To me, that is heavenly. But. On our Monarch cruise we just had an outside room, no balcony. :( Not much fun to read in bed. And we do spend some time in lounge chairs on the deck above the pool so we do read there as well, but I was talking about the lounges and bars and other public spaces. If it's raining those are the only options and I just wish ONE would have no music or TV blaring.

My pet peeve is a little different. My husband and I have the greatest friends IMHO and we enjoy cruising together. We are a fun group and love life. That said- we laugh, and can sometimes be a little loud :D but we are never disrespectful to others. On our recent cruise we were in the sun on the pool deck hanging out at the bar just so happy to be on vacation and it was warm (we had been having really cold temps for our area) the music was playing and everyone was really enjoying themselves and yes, we were having cocktails. Several people walked by and mentioned that maybe we should slow down on the drinks because we were being too loud. Really? Just my little own pet peeve:)

Vicki

See, this makes me smile. I love seeing my fellow cruisers having a nice time. As long as they are not cursing up a storm, loud and laughing is no problem for me.

We were in La Paz on a resort excursion and this group put their chairs in the water and had their buckets of beer and were having such a nice time.

One guy got bit in the toe by a crab but he caught the crab and gave it to a boy who was playing in the sand.

It was a nice day.

We take noise-cancelling headphones for airplanes and our cruises. I convinced my husband to get some after I used mine for several years. We will never go anywhere without them.

:cool:Never met a RCCL Ship which did not have a library:cool:

If you're referring to me, I mentioned the library in my original post about my pet peeve. Yes, all cruise lines do have them but they are not fully enclosed rooms therefore there are still people walking by talking and laughing and you can still hear the music that is piped in the other areas near the library. Not exactly "quiet" as a library should be in my opinion.

We take noise-cancelling headphones for airplanes and our cruises. I convinced my husband to get some after I used mine for several years. We will never go anywhere without them.

That is an excellent idea. We don't own them, but we may by our next cruise. :)

Love this post! I try not to let things bother me on a cruise because we are all on vacation, but some common courtesy would be nice. We just came back from a cruise with our 4 year old and I found myself being very conscious of many of the peeves you all pointed out and teaching my son to be courteous - specifically with the elevators (waiting for people to get off first), walking in the hallways, and splashing around the pools. I do agree with the following:

1. People hanging out in the WJ on the 1st day while people who want to eat cannot find a table. Thankfully we looked for a table before getting our food, and when we found a table, we offered others who were also looking to sit with us. From then on, my son always wanted to sit with others ;).

2. Unsupervised kids in the pool area - even in the H20 zone meant for kids. Our son was always supervised - wouldn't have it any other way. Even if he was older, I'd have my eye on him to make sure he was behaving.

3. The hallway and chair hogs. We usually walked single file down the halls for this reason. And when on the pool deck, we were usually in the water or by the pool so only used one chair to put our things on. Hate it when people who are not lounging in the sun take up 1 chair/person and never even sit down.

4. We always took the stairs for a few flights, but I wasn't climbing 10 flights when we got back from port. You have all mentioned the biggest peeves regarding the elevator and I agree with all of them. When having a small child with you, I cannot stand when people insisit on squeezing themselves into the elevator. There were times when my son was stepped on and elbowed in the head because he couldn't be seen.

Archived