pet peeves

Me too! I know it shouldn't irk me but it does!

That really doesn't bother me. As many others point out - not all people with handicaps are in a wheelchair or wear a sign on their backs stating - knee problems, bad back, recent surgery, etc. So I've decided doesn't do me any good to judge a behavior that does not cause me or others any harm.

That really doesn't bother me. As many others point out - not all people with handicaps are in a wheelchair or wear a sign on their backs stating - knee problems, bad back, recent surgery, etc. So I've decided doesn't do me any good to judge a behavior that does not cause me or others any harm.

Personally -- I tend to take the stairs. But my traveling companions have not always been able to do that consistently. I feel no compulsion to abandon my friends and head for the stairs when we are together.

People who try to stuff themselves in an elevator even though it is obviously full. Sometimes a whole group of them trying to stuff in. Folks, this isn't the last chopper out of Saigon, there will be another elevator by, probably within 20 seconds.

Or the masses of children on the elevator that could save that elevator for those that need it.

I agree with everyone's comments about the elevators and people rushing on as if the ship is sinking and not even allowing other passengers the chance to get off the thing first. We gave up trying to catch an elevator on our first cruise and since then we always take the stairs. DW lost weight on our first cruise from just going up and down the stairs all of the time :D

The one and only time I have ever taken an elevator was to bring my big suitcase up from the "naughty room" on deck two. ;)

At least I am one less person in that crowded cube! :D

This coming from someone that has asthma, and middle aged. :eek:

If you read my other posts regarding this (able-bodied people taking the elevator one flight up or down), you'd see that I said that I would never presume to judge anybody as to whether or not they are able-bodied. I didn't say people that look able-bodied, I said people that are able-bodied. I don't know who those people are, and I wouldn't begin to try and figure out who they are...but I know that there are some that do this, and that is what I was referring to.

If you read my other posts regarding this (able-bodied people taking the elevator one flight up or down), you'd see that I said that I would never presume to judge anybody as to whether or not they are able-bodied. I didn't say people that look able-bodied, I said people that are able-bodied. I don't know who those people are, and I wouldn't begin to try and figure out who they are...but I know that there are some that do this, and that is what I was referring to.

It's okay - I wasn't pointing fingers at any one poster. Plenty of folks commented on the elevator situation. In some ways we posted the same thing.

However, on second thought - I really am not concerned about who uses them, when they use them or length of ride and able bodied or not. About the only good thing I do for myself on a cruise is avoid the elevators.

Another vote for the "bum rush" elevator situation and also a vote for "letting your kids slam the cabin doors". Last cruise we were on the kids next door must hav been having a contest on who can slam the balcony door the loudest and the most times.... GGRRR.

This exact thing happened to me a few years ago while I was trying to nap in my cabin since I had a terrble head cold and was feeling a little punky. After a few slams of the balcony door, I simply called the room and when a young voice said "hello", I informed them that if that door slammed one more time, I was calling security. Never heard another "peep" from that cabin for the rest of the cruise!!!! ;)

My only pet peeve is, well... people who have pet peeves. :D I try to be relaxed and not take things so personally on vacation. I'm accommodating to others and will let someone who's obviously self absorbed enjoy their moment. In the grand scheme of things it just doesn't matter. I'm there to relax and not going to sweat the small stuff.

That's not to say that things don't annoy me. I just choose not to react to most of them while on vacation.

My vacation is my the time to spend early mornings with my 9 yo daughter, who also like to get up before it's light out, and enjoy the ocean. My wife and 4 yo son both like to sleep in so they get what they want, too. During the day I am content to watch them play or sit and do nothing but wander. If I find a place to sit a bit, fine. If not, that's fine too. I don't have an agenda (unless I have a reservation at Chops!) I'm there to enjoy myself and not shorten my life by raising my blood pressure. ;)

whoa....how do you know what health issues are lurking? Maybe there is a knee problem or worse-a heart problem....no business of yours if one chooses to take the el one floor or 10!

Ugh...did you not read ANY of my posts?!? I never presumed to know who has health issues and who doesn't. I only stated that there undoubtedly some people that do not have health issues that take the elevator up or down one floor, and that that is my pet peeve. I don't know who they are, nor would I try to guess who they are, but I know they exist.

My pet peeve is able-bodied people taking the elevator down one floor.

Sorry this is your pet peeve, but please don't judge someone who "looks" able bodied, there might be underlying issues your not aware of. In my case I look extremely healthy but have no knee caps and it is very painful to do the stairs, however on my last Adventure cruise I used the stairs on several occasions due to some of the other pet peeves listed about elevators, however I had people who were behind me who were extremely upset because it took me so long to climb one flight of stairs. Nearly knocked me over a few times. I guess we all just have to have patients and enjoy ourselves!!!!!

One of my peeves is people who don't know how to say 'excuse me.' They'll knock you over and not even look you in the eye because they either don't care or know they're wrong for doing that. Look, we're all trying to get somewhere, so just be nice. It only takes a second to say it. :confused:

Oh that is so my pet peeve too! Where are people's manners these days. I actually have 2 peeves....what about the people with strollers that like to hang out in the aisle ways gabbing and oblivious to others while their precious little ones are running around under everyone's feet? I have had that happen a couple times and actually came close to knocking over the little thing because he was free to run screaming around. Please control your little ones, not only for their safety, but the safety of others that could too get hurt.

My pet peeve is people who complain and whine about the behavior of their fellow passengers, like the guy who started this thread. If people want to hang out in the Windjammer, that is their option. It's their vacation -- don't try to tell fellow cruisers what they should or shouldn't do. I have found in cruising for some time now that too many people onboard are worried about what other people on board are doing. Common courtesy is nice, I agree, but if you can't relax on a cruise and enjoy yourself around hundreds of others, then maybe crusing isn't for you.

Maybe it is the people (who are themselves on vacation!) who have circled the WJ several times looking for a table who is worrying about what others are doing! ... It is much easier to find a place to play cards and hang out on a ship than it is to carry a plate of food somewhere else.

It may be THEIR vacation, but they don't have the right to do whatever they want if it affects OTHER'S vacation. They can hang out in the WJ if they like, I don't care, as long as other people who are trying to EAT, which is what the WJ is for, don't need that table. There are plenty of other places to "hang out". Rooms just for that purpose, actually. Trust and believe, I could care less what anyone else is doing, as long as it doesn't affect ME. If you can't relax on a cruise and be courteous and respectful to the hundreds around you, then maybe cruising isn't for YOU.

THANK YOU! Sounds to me like dohertm1 was getting awfully defensive. He must be one of the table hogs in the WJ. (I bet he tries real hard to not to make eye contact when he notices all those people looking for tables - IF he even does notice!)

Oh that is so my pet peeve too! Where are people's manners these days. I actually have 2 peeves....what about the people with strollers that like to hang out in the aisle ways gabbing and oblivious to others while their precious little ones are running around under everyone's feet? I have had that happen a couple times and actually came close to knocking over the little thing because he was free to run screaming around. Please control your little ones, not only for their safety, but the safety of others that could too get hurt.

Agreed! I haven't even actually cruised yet (taking careful notes on what to do and not do so that fellow cruisers won't be offended/inconvenienced/peeved/irked/urked/annoyed or otherwised un-happied.

Parents in all public/crowded places should control their kids. This happened at my place of employment just the other day. A couple was standing at the counter. Their kid was wandering around all over the store, winding in and out around people's legs, and an older lady got tangled with the kid and was not able to keep herself from actually falling down, taking the kid down with her, landing on top of him, had to be helped up by two other customers, and the parents gave HER a dirty look for not apologizing for falling over THEIR uncontrolled child! Oh, man, did that irritate me! I couldn't believe they were acting like she was the one at fault! Whatever. Take your kid by the hand and keep the little cherub at your side, and if it starts screaming at being restrained, (as this one did before they gave up and let him run free) take him the h### OUT! (of the building, not out of existence.) :D

Sorry this is your pet peeve, but please don't judge someone who "looks" able bodied, there might be underlying issues your not aware of. In my case I look extremely healthy but have no knee caps and it is very painful to do the stairs, however on my last Adventure cruise I used the stairs on several occasions due to some of the other pet peeves listed about elevators, however I had people who were behind me who were extremely upset because it took me so long to climb one flight of stairs. Nearly knocked me over a few times. I guess we all just have to have patients and enjoy ourselves!!!!!

Did you bother to read any of my multitude of posts where I explained that I didn't say that my pet peeve was people that looked able-bodied that take the elevator one flight?!? I said my pet peeve was people that are able bodied that do it. In fact, I restated this in the post immediately before yours.

Like I've said for the umpteenth time, I would never presume to judge anyone's able-body-ness based on looks. I just would suspect that there are those that are able-bodied that could take the stairs instead. Next time please read all posts before responding.:mad:

Yes, yes, yes......I agree with all of these "peeves", and I was laughing out loud while I was reading them. I think the very worst is people who are rude to the crew members - if somebody is rude to me I can retaliate but the crew don't have that option, they just have to put up with it.

Gill

I get a upset when I see a crew member being spoken to very rudely by a guest and you can see the look on their face is it is affecting them. If I can make a comment while the person is there, I do. If not, I remind the crew member that everyone has an "a**" but some people have it on there face and only crap comes out. They usually smile and I remind them that most passengers appreciate their efforts..... like me and I smile. It usually works to help them shake off the rudeness.

whoa....how do you know what health issues are lurking? Maybe there is a knee problem or worse-a heart problem....no business of yours if one chooses to take the el one floor or 10!

Thats a good point. I do often take the stairs but I paid for my cruise and have every right to use the elevator as I want. Sorry guys but the elevators are for everyone.

I do not like ignorant people who push in front of you when they can clearly see there is a queing system.

I also do not like it when I witness customers treating staff like slaves & speak rude to them. I will never forget this time a woman was sat sunbathing and kept shouting "psssssstttt" to the staff & clicking her fingers then shouted "bring me orange juice, now"!!!!!

That is just pure rude. x

I can't say that much really bothers me on a cruise... I think a sunburn/hangover combination aggrivated me once?

Anyway, in regards to the elevators - they are there for everyone. Chill out guys... you're on vacation - don't sweat the small stuff.

I can't say that much really bothers me on a cruise... I think a sunburn/hangover combination aggrivated me once?

Anyway, in regards to the elevators - they are there for everyone. Chill out guys... you're on vacation - don't sweat the small stuff.

My pet peeve is that you pay for a 7 day cruise and then after only one week they expect you to get off the ship :eek:

Archived