Bicycles on ship - Summit to Bermuda

ksg

Has anyone ever taken a bicycle on a ship? Since we would be driving to Bayonne, it would be easy for us to take our bikes with us. I'd much rather have my own than a rental in Bermuda. Other than the obvious issue of having to maneuver around two bikes (and golf clubs!) in the cabin, is there any reason why we can't do this?

Appreciate your responses,

Kim

Most cruiselines prohibit bicycles and other sporting equipment. Probably for safety reasons. There have been theme cruises where bicycles and/or motorcycles have been taken, but they are usually kept in secure storage. Then when in port, you have to wait for crew to release the bicycles.

Imagine, kids riding their bikes around the halls.

But check with your cruise line, they may allow it.

I am fairly certain that you would not be able to bring bicycles on board with Celebrity. I took the liberty of posting their "What not to Pack List" below.

If you can't bring a Skateboard or surfboard (or most other sporting equipment as listed), I am fairly certain that bicycles would fall uner the "These and other similar items" category. Although to get the most accurate answer, I would just give Celebrity a call (but would start planning on renting a bike in Bermuda).

What not to Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.*Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.Illegal Drugs & SubstancesCandles & IncenseCoffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot PlatesBaseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & ArrowsSkateboards & SurfboardsMartial Arts GearSelf-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.HAM RadiosDangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Has anyone ever taken a bicycle on a ship? Since we would be driving to Bayonne, it would be easy for us to take our bikes with us. I'd much rather have my own than a rental in Bermuda. Other than the obvious issue of having to maneuver around two bikes (and golf clubs!) in the cabin, is there any reason why we can't do this?

Appreciate your responses,

Kim

According to this post you can: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1230781&highlight=bike

I think I would be more likely to believe what is stated by the cruise line as opposed to some other thread on Cruise Critic. This other thread is more specific to Southampton and perhaps they handle things differently in Europe. Best place for the correct answer is to pick up the phone and call Celebrity.

All I can say is that as a fellow passenger, I don't really want to have to deal with people pushing their bikes around the ship (The ship Elevators are small and if I was waiting for an elevator and couldn't get on because someone's Bikes were taking up all the room, I would get extremely irritated.

If the bikes need to be kept in the Cabins, then that means they have to be taken through the corridors which are small, especially when the stewards have their carts out.

Unless the Bikes can be kept somewhere in Storage and taken off in port, I don't think it's appropriate at all to have bikes in the public areas/hallways of the ship and if I was in any way inconvenienced by them, I can assure you that I would file a complaint with Passenger Services.

This is a premium cruise people, not the YMCA at Sea!

Last month, we were getting off the Century. There was an older couple grabbing their bikes from a large closet within steps of the security area (pre-gangway). My husband commented on how cool that was. They said they always bring their bikes, and the ship keeps them down in this area. When we were on The Solstice the following week, I looked and sure enough, they also had a similar closet with a few bikes stashed in it near the secrurity area.

Last month, we were getting off the Century. There was an older couple grabbing their bikes from a large closet within steps of the security area (pre-gangway). My husband commented on how cool that was. They said they always bring their bikes, and the ship keeps them down in this area. When we were on The Solstice the following week, I looked and sure enough, they also had a similar closet with a few bikes stashed in it near the secrurity area.

In this scenario, it sounds ideal as those who want to have their bicycles available can, without disrupting the enjoyment of other passengers.

I have seen this several times. Thought it was a great idea. The last time was a couple of years ago and the couple looked like they were professionals. Maybe it was a training thing. Never have seen kids with bikes though have seen Razors and skateboards on RCCL That drove me nuts.

Saw this last year on Century as well, but they said the bikes were for the crew while in port

Every time I have seen this, the bikes were stored in the security area. No one is taking a bike and riding them in the hallways or storing them in their cabins. Our waiter a few years ago on the Crown Princess also had a bike on board, though his time was EXTREMELY limited as to when he actually could use it because of his schedule. Think it is a wonderful idea.

We were in San Juan sitting on the balcony watching the passengers come back to the ship. Seen a person get on board carrying a unicycle. That night we knew why. He was the performer for that night's show.

• 2 years later...

Call celebrity--A few years ago my spouse and I brought our Bike Fridays aboard the Connie for our first cruise--rode thru all the scandinavian ports--must store the bicycles in your cabin or on the balcony--many do so and enjoy their cruise--we waited untill most of the passengers disembarked before visiting a port--met another couple with their Bike Fridays--we rode together--just call celeb

I think I would be more likely to believe what is stated by the cruise line as opposed to some other thread on Cruise Critic. This other thread is more specific to Southampton and perhaps they handle things differently in Europe. Best place for the correct answer is to pick up the phone and call Celebrity.

!

You obviously had not had to much interaction with Celebrity Customer Service, they are known for their wrong answers or for given three answers if you call three people. It is a well known fact on this board, thank goodness their service on board the ship does not match land based customer service.

If you decide against bringing your own, you can always rent. There are two shops very close to where the ship docks. We rented from Eve's and rode a good distance, stopping at a few beaches along the way. We returned the bikes at the shop in Paget and just hopped on the bus to get back to the pier.

I feel like we saw much of Bermuda this way.

There is a railroad trail that you can ride for a good distance but if you opt to do this, read up on it because the path isn't always obvious.

A young man had a bike on the Infinity 14 days ago on the Antarctica cruise. For the ports that had shuttle buses, the bike was stowed where normally luggage would be. Very cool indeed!

Yes, very cool in Antarctica.

DW and I are avid cyclist and usually do bike excursions when offered in some ports, but that last thing that I would want to deal with getting bikes to the ship, then getting them off the ship in ports. Sometimes you are tendering into ports, or the gangways are very steep.

I certainly would not want to take them on the airplane.

Call celebrity--A few years ago my spouse and I brought our Bike Fridays aboard the Connie for our first cruise--rode thru all the scandinavian ports--must store the bicycles in your cabin or on the balcony--many do so and enjoy their cruise--we waited untill most of the passengers disembarked before visiting a port--met another couple with their Bike Fridays--we rode together--just call celeb

Just curious as to why you decided to respond to a thread that is three years old. I'm sure the OP isn't looking for answers still after all this time. Did you mean to contribute to a more current thread?

Just curious as to why you decided to respond to a thread that is three years old. I'm sure the OP isn't looking for answers still after all this time. Did you mean to contribute to a more current thread?

I read through the entire thread thinking it was a new thread...Then I read your comment...I guess I need to pay more attention.

Every now and then an old thread will appear and others (like me) don't look at the dates and respond like it is a current one.

I read through the entire thread thinking it was a new thread...Then I read your comment...I guess I need to pay more attention.

Every now and then an old thread will appear and others (like me) don't look at the dates and respond like it is a current one.

I'm sure that's what happened with others too. There's a similar, current thread at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1987883, and I'd wondered if people meant to contribute to it.

Well, thanks for dredging it up as it is indeed of interest to me.