TSA question

sept10dsm

I know the TSA has the enhanced pat downs at airports and now I have just heard that they also do this at train and bus stations. Is this done at cruise ship boarding? Just wondering. Sorry if asked already, I didn't see anything in my looking for it and I don't even know if this should be in this area of the boards. Thank you for any help on this.

I don't understand why this gets so blown out of proportion. TSA does not do an "enhanced" pat down on most people. There are no TSA agents at cruise ports screening people. This is done by contracted security hired by port authorities and cruise lines.

TSA does not do security at train or bus stations, nor cruise ports. All use their own security people. While SOME train stations have increased security, to my knowledge it is for baggage only. I have not heard of any bus company doing so. Cruise ports xray checked luggage, and your carry on will go through a scanner similar to what you see at airports. You will also go through a metal detector. If it goes off, you will be wanded. I have not heard of any patdowns, yet.

Cheers,

TSA does not do security at train or bus stations, nor cruise ports. All use their own security people. While SOME train stations have increased security, to my knowledge it is for baggage only. I have not heard of any bus company doing so. Cruise ports xray checked luggage, and your carry on will go through a scanner similar to what you see at airports. You will also go through a metal detector. If it goes off, you will be wanded. I have not heard of any patdowns, yet.

Cheers,

Thanks. I read an article that Amtrack (on AOL homepage yesterday) had TSA at stations and the article referred to Bus Stations as well. I don't care about the metal detectors or wand. I don't have a problem with dogs either. I don't like the new machines or the enhanced patdowns that I have read about and seen on the News, that's why I asked about ports. Thanks.

Also, read today that the TSA will be testing DNA readers this summer (not sure who will be subject to them) at TSA checkpoints as well.

Thanks. I read an article that Amtrack (on AOL homepage yesterday) had TSA at stations and the article referred to Bus Stations as well. I don't care about the metal detectors or wand. I don't have a problem with dogs either. I don't like the new machines or the enhanced patdowns that I have read about and seen on the News, that's why I asked about ports. Thanks.

Also, read today that the TSA will be testing DNA readers (not sure who will be subject to them) at TSA checkpoints as well.

you have EVERY right to wonder about the TSA! I will NOT be going thru ANY scanner for several reasons, and am definitely NOT interested in going thru their new invasive pat downs either.

You will go thru a metal detector, like in an airport...it's not a "see-all" machine! If you can't go thru the detector (like hubby who has a pacemaker), then they will pat you down....it's cursory...not invasive.

you have EVERY right to wonder about the TSA! I will NOT be going thru ANY scanner for several reasons, and am definitely NOT interested in going thru their new invasive pat downs either.

So, it sounds like you're a confirmed non-flyer and non-cruiser??

I know, neither am I, who knows where they will show up. We are travelling with a young child and I don't want to put him through that possible type of check (2 of my stepdaughter's got picked in Kennedy a few weeks ago-no reason) Thanks.

You will go thru a metal detector, like in an airport...it's not a "see-all" machine! If you can't go thru the detector (like hubby who has a pacemaker), then they will pat you down....it's cursory...not invasive.

We have last cruised in Oct 2009, the same type of security as then?, I'm assuming. I don't have a problem with that, just the new scanners and 'enhanced pat down"

Many ports have sniffer dogs to detect food and drugs on persons.

I remember being in a long line up at a port.A dog from a distance came dashing down this line and sat in front of a man who customs took away.

You might want to go to the TSA web site for updated security information.

Don't waste your time, because you won't find anything about screening cruise ship passengers. The TSA doesn't screen departing cruise ship passengers. It's done by private security agents hired by the local port operating authority and cruise line.

Many ports have sniffer dogs to detect food and drugs on persons.

I remember being in a long line up at a port.A dog from a distance came dashing down this line and sat in front of a man who customs took away.

I have no problem with a dog, like had mentioned above. I just don't like the invasive machines or pat downs. Thank you for that. I almost welcome a dog there!! I think they would be much more effective and not intrusive.

I have no choice while flying, I get patted or rubbed down every time. Last Aug. I had a knee replacement, it is not fun but I look at it as part of my vacation. Living in Illinois makes it to far to drive to the ports, for us at least.

I have no choice while flying, I get patted or rubbed down every time. Last Aug. I had a knee replacement, it is not fun but I look at it as part of my vacation. Living in Illinois makes it to far to drive to the ports, for us at least.

Just wondeing do you have the pat down every time? I guess probably yes since you always will set off the detector. I have seen/read about so many searches that have been performed and they just sound so horrible. Thanks for the info. We won't have to fly since our port is NY and we live locally.

Yes, I get the pat down feel up every time. Once I even set off the alarm after the pat down. They went through every item that I was carrying except my cane. Then 2 agents took me into a separate cubicle, where I really got the feel up job. They came back and said that I could go. I was told that it may have been my pain meds that set off the alarm for nitrates. Yes I was sweating bullets during this.

Yes, I get the pat down feel up every time. Once I even set off the alarm after the pat down. They went through every item that I was carrying except my cane. Then 2 agents took me into a separate cubicle, where I really got the feel up job. They came back and said that I could go. I was told that it may have been my pain meds that set off the alarm for nitrates. Yes I was sweating bullets during this.

RIDICULOUS!! So sorry! It is like you are guilty, until proven innocent!

Unlike USA airports, you are allowed scissors and lotions in your cruise bag carry-on, as opposed to having to put it in "checked" luggage. After all, either way it makes on the ship and to your cabin.

The biggest pat downs I get occur in Jamaica returning to the ship. I don't know why Jamaica does this and other ports don't.

Unlike USA airports, you are allowed scissors and lotions in your cruise bag carry-on, as opposed to having to put it in "checked" luggage. After all, either way it makes on the ship and to your cabin.

The biggest pat downs I get occur in Jamaica returning to the ship. I don't know why Jamaica does this and other ports don't.

D.R.U.G.S.

Ganja, mon!

I've flown out of ATL four times in the last year (World's largest and busiest airport) and never experienced a pat-down! I follow the TSA rules (small liquids, gels, lotions in Zip-Lock, shoes off, jacket off, purse in bin, etc.) and have never been patted down. Same thing flying out of SEA.......no pat downs. I'm really OK with Security procedures these days....better to be safe!

I cannot stand or walk through the scanners, so I get the pat down, and I fly three to four flights a month. It's no big freaking deal and I just don't understand why some people get up in arms over it. It happens so fast, and the people have always been very nice about it. My only problem, I always ask for the best looking man to do the pat down and they never allow it, LOL.

I cannot stand or walk through the scanners, so I get the pat down, and I fly three to four flights a month. It's no big freaking deal and I just don't understand why some people get up in arms over it. It happens so fast, and the people have always been very nice about it. My only problem, I always ask for the best looking man to do the pat down and they never allow it, LOL.

Love your post!! I don't understand the "up-in-arms" thing, either! I don't find scanners invasive at all, and they will probably get more sophisticated in the coming years. It's the world in which we live.

Archived