Quest??? Just don't get it...

Just want to clarify for those of you who like Quest, more power to you. I'm all for people having a good time and enjoying themselves. All I'm saying is that our experience didn't match the expectations or advance build-up. We actually liked the Love and Marriage game much better...and I'm sure there are those who think that's lame...:p

I'm sure it's all a matter of perspective, of what actually happens during it and I'm sure for some how many drinks have been consumed beforehand :D.

Whilst I do like a good laugh and a joke I found/find quest to be a bit holiday camp and not really up my street. Hence we went to see what it was about once but probably won't go again.

That being said, like someone else has here already, they are trying to cater for everyone.

This is a good thing though and the greater quantity and varied content of entertainment to keep us all amused the better.

The Quest we attended was the supposedly "adult" version which started at 10:45pm...although there really wasn't anything "adult", risque or even R-Rated about it. (Maybe that why we didn't like it...we were expecting more).

Also, 95% of the participants were probably college age to mid-20's. There was even one kid who couldn't have been older than 13 or 14 who was one of the most enthusiastic players.

I think it depends on the ship as well. We saw the Quest on the Explorer of the Seas. It was fairly tame. I think having it in the Studio-B ice skating rink really takes away from it. You're far away, and only like 2 people can be involved on a team. Last two were on the Majesty. It's held in a lounge where you get 6-7 people on a team involved (seems like everyone in the place sometimes), you're right in on it, and it gets a lot crazier and risque. Definitely favored it in the smaller venue.

I can feel the flamers warming up...as this is a subject that most people are passionate about, whether pro or con. That's fine. But for us, it was a letdown.

:confused: Why should anybody be disturbed about what you do or don't like? We would NEVER waste another minute at the Quest, which in our opinions was alternately vulgar and absurd. No biggie though - our opinions don't interfere with anybody else enjoying it. Neither does yours :).

Happy Sails,

Annette

I have enjoyed some Quests more than others. This cruise on Oasis it wasn't starting until 11:45 PM on the night before a port call. I ended up skipping it as I was already a bit sleep deprived and I like to be up early on port days to watch the approach to the islands which I enjoy a lot more than Quest.

We've only been to Quest once, though we've seen similar things on other cruises/venues.

It was fun, but not something I'd go out of my way to see again. If I felt like it, I'd go, but it sure wasn't the highlight of the cruise, like we're often led to believe. A little hokey, a little silly, had some laughs and caused a lot of wonderment (for me) about what folks will do for a plastic prize.

I agree with the OP - I would not bother seeing it again -- The CD (no matter which ships) are always asking for the same items (bra, condom, thong etc etc etc )and as far as folks bringing in bags (with such items inside) I have NEVER EVER (been on 9 cruises) seen the bag or the participants being asked to leave the game, even though the CD "scolded" folks for having the items already. It is always the same old, same old - Time to get some new activites!!!!!

it is only as good as those participating so it will change on every ship on every sailing. on the monarch it was a blast we we sailed. would definately not wanted my 10 and 13 year old sons participating. will definately go do it again the next time we sail rccl.

Just want to clarify for those of you who like Quest, more power to you. I'm all for people having a good time and enjoying themselves. All I'm saying is that our experience didn't match the expectations or advance build-up. We actually liked the Love and Marriage game much better...and I'm sure there are those who think that's lame...:p

Now, that is VERY interesting.

I would say that CD's change up Quest more often than they change up the Love & Marriage questions! Those get old REAL fast.

I am very glad that you found a show that you really liked! :)

I was wondering if they ever changed up the Love and Marriage questions? I've only seen it twice, but it was basically the exact same show both times. It was very funny, but I can't see going to it a third time this month if it's going to be the same show. It may be worth it just because I hear such raves about the Oasis CD.

Sorry to highjack the quest thread. But I do have a Quest question: is it easy to go and just observe without participating?

My favorite memory of quest was the cruise I took with my mom, grandma, and my best friend. The CD asked for fake teeth, and without thinking, my grandma took out her dentures and threw them at my BFF, who was the captain!! :D Took us sobering up the next day to think of OTHER types of fake teeth :o

I went for my first time on the Voyager a couple of weeks ago. The CD told everyone that he was going to ask for different things, so no one could bring their own "stuff", but Im sure most of what he asked for was asked at each quest...he did say that if he knew you brought it, he would not give you points. Parts of it were really funny, and they did video it, and even showed parts of it on tv. But, now that Ive done it, probably wouldnt go back unless I went with a first timer...I get a bigger kick out of Newlywed game! You know what they are going to ask, but you never know what the answer will be!

I went for my first time on the Voyager a couple of weeks ago. The CD told everyone that he was going to ask for different things, so no one could bring their own "stuff", but Im sure most of what he asked for was asked at each quest...he did say that if he knew you brought it, he would not give you points. Parts of it were really funny, and they did video it, and even showed parts of it on tv. But, now that Ive done it, probably wouldnt go back unless I went with a first timer...I get a bigger kick out of Newlywed game! You know what they are going to ask, but you never know what the answer will be!

My only problem with that game is the pace of it is sooooo slow. I'd like it better if they sped things up a bit.

As someone earlier said, they apparently always have the same questions at the Love and Marriage Show (can't really say, only seen it once). However, you don't know what the answers are going to be. Also, the couples who participated on the 2/27 AOS cruise were outstanding. We liked the show so much, we watched the replay on TV the next day. Quest?? Not so much...

Before we left on our AOS cruise February 27th, everything I ever read about Quest was..."Don't miss it"..."Quest is awesome"..."Whatever you do, don't miss Quest!"

Really??

To us it was a big build-up for a not-so-entertaining experience. It was simply a bunch of running around by people who knew exactly which items would be called beforehand. They were practically already running out before the CD finished announcing the items. Other than the bald guy with the tuxedo T-shirt being kissed on his head, there really wasn't much entertainment value (at least for us). We sat there looking at each other with "should we go now?" looks on our faces. I guess to each his own, but Quest will not be on our agenda on our next cruise.

I can feel the flamers warming up...as this is a subject that most people are passionate about, whether pro or con. That's fine. But for us, it was a letdown.

Yeah, some folks do that, but a good CD will either change it up (I was in a group where the folks had brought some stuff, and they brought two bras thinking that was enough... CD asks for 4 bras) or the judges will secretly deduct points for those who come "prepared".

Now what sucked was the Love and Marriage show where the middle of the road couple knew every last question and got a perfect game. They tried to make it funny but you could tell halfway through that they'd planned it. That's when I wish the CD would've changed it up, but good risque questions are probably a little harder to improv than stuff for Quest.

i'm interested to check it out. sounds like it involves walking up to strangers with odd requests and partial nudity. which is right up our alley. is it all age groups or what?

It's all age groups (18 - 80 I mean), and I'm sure you'll find a group no problem if you don't have one already. This last cruise was the first time I actively participated and it was a hell of a lot more fun than the previous times that I'd spectated. :D

I am just off the Oasis.. loved Quest. You could tell by the audience that the questions asked were repeat questions as they seemed to know what was coming. BUT Richard Spacey told everyone at the beginning that if anyone was caught with bags of stuff would be kicked out of the game. It did not appear to me that anyone was cheating. We enjoyed it alot. The instant replays were fabulous because you don't always get to see what Richard saw. I think the CD would definitely make or break the game.

I enjoyed it but I did enjoyed the Love and Marriage game a wee bit better but we had a couple on ours that had some doozy answers.. so that definitely made the game.

We saw both The Quest and The Love And Marriage Game Show with Richard Spacey on Freedom of The Seas back in October 2009, thought he was pure class and really did make the show. Do they do these games on Vision of The Seas?

I am pretty positive that they do both of those games on every ship in the RCI fleet, although to a certain degree the schedules will depend on the Cruise Director. As far as the Quest goes, I have found that how good or bad it is will often depend on the venue where it is held (not a fan of having it in the Ice Rink) and who is the emcee. Those people who are so intent on winning the cheesy prizes that they award at Quest, that they bring a bagload of items frequently requested are IMHO pretty pathetic and can pretty much spoil things for those attending it for the first time. Some CDs will automatically disqualify anyone who comes to the Quest armed with a bag of things - more power to them.

Now I feel bad... Our last cruise was our first on RC and the first time I had ever seen/done Quest, and our team won in large part because my friend and I together just have tons of random stuff in our bags! My mom has called me "Mary Poppins" from a young age, because I can just pull anything out of my bag... lol. But I sure wasn't trying to cheat or anything! I just have lots of stuff in my bag!

Archived