Quest??? Just don't get it...

Before we left on our AOS cruise February 27th, everything I ever read about Quest was..."Don't miss it"..."Quest is awesome"..."Whatever you do, don't miss Quest!"

Really??

To us it was a big build-up for a not-so-entertaining experience. It was simply a bunch of running around by people who knew exactly which items would be called beforehand. They were practically already running out before the CD finished announcing the items. Other than the bald guy with the tuxedo T-shirt being kissed on his head, there really wasn't much entertainment value (at least for us). We sat there looking at each other with "should we go now?" looks on our faces. I guess to each his own, but Quest will not be on our agenda on our next cruise.

I can feel the flamers warming up...as this is a subject that most people are passionate about, whether pro or con. That's fine. But for us, it was a letdown.

We've done the Quest twice...each time was slightly different because of the CD involved. I found it to be hilarious what people are willing to do to get a 'medal':p (this from the woman who's DH sat in the lounge for most of the show in just him tidy whities and socks - I wasn't brave enough to take that photo - could barely look at him without breaking down laughing):D

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. We generally base if we are going to do the Quest on who is sailing with us - some people wouldn't be comfortable doing it others jump right in there:p

Before we left on our AOS cruise February 27th, everything I ever read about Quest was..."Don't miss it"..."Quest is awesome"..."Whatever you do, don't miss Quest!"

I can feel the flamers warming up...as this is a subject that most people are passionate about, whether pro or con. That's fine. But for us, it was a letdown.

OK...I will be the first to join you in your corner. We too are with you. Not our cup of tea. No flame here. We're very much "whatever floats your boaters," so if someone wants to do Quest, cool. Want to wear shorts, jeans t-shirts in the MDR, well great. (I'm really walking on the flamer edge with that comment. :)) I think your post very well illustrates how cruise lines attempt to provide something for everyone. Glad they do that. Just not the Quest for us either.

On some ships I've heard of a 'family friendly' version of quest that starts in the early evening and that is for all ages.

Other ships offer the Adult version which generally starts after 11pm - definately not appropriate for the under 18 crowd:eek: Most trips I've been on, Quest is usually the last night (I guess so you don't have to face everyone for the rest of the week...if you get my drift):cool:

Quest is usually something that I could take or leave, and I won't go anymore if it's just me and DH. However, on our last cruise, we were with my family, which included some first-time cruisers, and we took them since it is considered a "must-do". The CD on this cruise was great, and it was the best and funniest Quest I have ever seen! So, I think it depends to an extent on your ship and cruise director.

That being said, I still probably won't go if it's just me and DH.

Quest is a lot better on Oasis. They film it and then do instant replays in slow motion. That's probably the funniest part.

Sorry you didn't like it. I'm sure it's not for everyone. I do have to say it can be ruined by people bringing bags of their own items.

Most people probably don't comment against Quest because if you do, others will post things like, 'you must have no sense of humor!' or 'you must be a prude!' or 'go to holland america!' Therefore one usually sees mostly pro-Quest posts, which is not a representative sampling.

It's meh.

I think it's a case of folks "playing up" an aspect of the cruise....just like cruise lovers do with "soon to be new" cruisers...they go on and on and on about how great cruising is (and it is) and how much fun they'll have (and they will), and all the things there are to do....and then the new cruiser does NOT enjoy the trip as much as they've been told they will...

Stop telling everyone that Quest isn't to be missed...they'll discover it on their own, and be happy!

I thought it was a lot of fun, and my gf and I participated, too (I won't tell you what I had to do...!)

BUT, as the OP said, a lot of people already know what's going to be asked, and that took a LOT away from the spontaneity and fun of the game.

If you've played before, and feel you have to come prepared in order to win a plastic medal, do the rest of us a favour and sit it out. It's only really fun when you have to -work- for each quest, not when you already have the items you know will be requested stashed away ahead of time.

That said, the people who do that are obvious, and it's at the CD's discretion whether or not to award them points even though they didn't do the work to acquire the items.

I played the one time, and would not do it again for that reason. But I'd go watch it again, for sure!

On some ships I've heard of a 'family friendly' version of quest that starts in the early evening and that is for all ages.

Other ships offer the Adult version which generally starts after 11pm - definately not appropriate for the under 18 crowd:eek:

The Quest we attended was the supposedly "adult" version which started at 10:45pm...although there really wasn't anything "adult", risque or even R-Rated about it. (Maybe that why we didn't like it...we were expecting more).

Also, 95% of the participants were probably college age to mid-20's. There was even one kid who couldn't have been older than 13 or 14 who was one of the most enthusiastic players.

So sorry you did not care for the Quest you saw, I have been to quite a few and they can vary enormously,some great some just so so.

the ones I really enjoy is where they are done in a lounge and not the ice rink venue and also where bags of stuff brought in are confiscated!

Ahhh...Quest...that most uniquely Royal show! Definately the cruise director makes it or breaks it. And I do think it works better if the people "playing" haven't ever been before. MY DH and I never miss it because it's one of those things that you just never know what might happen, and it's fun people watching. (If I am going to travel with 3000 + people, one of the things I am going to do is people watch! )

That said, it plays on "shock value" and that's getting dated in our day and age...especially for the younger set- a woman with a tatoo (no way!) a man who might wear lip stick or dance with another man (OMG!)...;)

IMHO, these things are everyday occurrences (in some places and definately on TV) and more and more people judge people on their character and not what's on their bodies, or who they love, so it's just not shocking or funny anymore!

Quest is a lot better on Oasis. They film it and then do instant replays in slow motion. That's probably the funniest part.

Sorry you didn't like it. I'm sure it's not for everyone. I do have to say it can be ruined by people bringing bags of their own items.

That's how we did it on Indy too; very funny:D

Glad I went to see it but I probably won't go again.

I've competed twice in quest now. I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea but like all the activities on board it fills a gap which for some people will be the highlight of their cruise.

For us it's never been the winning, in fact due to my personality - the fact I am happy to take some good humoured ribbing from the CD - we positively won't won't win. Having points taken away for alleged contraventions gets a bit of banter going and that's fun. You get the whole team behind you and it blows off a bit of steam.

In terms of different items to get hold of, yes, I don't think it would do any harm to shake things up a little. But in fairness could that not be said for quite a lot of things on board. It wouldn't do Royal Caribbean any harm to change things around on an annual basis now that for many customers cruising is a yearly event rather than a one off.

At the end of the day if Quest isn't your thing that's cool, there are other activities going on and studio B can't fit everyone in.

Henry :)

I like to think my husband & I have a good sense of humor, we're definitely not prudes (we've been to Orient Beach;)) but I have to say, I don't get the Quest! I went expecting this hilarious, adult game and what we saw was pretty lame! Tried it a second time on a different ship and it was pretty much a repeat of the first time, so now we skip it. To each their own. . .

Sherri:)

Several years ago we had a large family group on a cruise. This was the first time I had seen the quest. About half of our group went to see this show. The funniest thing I had ever seen on a cruise; because I have a little neice who is very shy and my son in law whom I thought would never participate joined in the fun. Absolutely loved it.

Ahhh...Quest...that most uniquely Royal show!

I don't know which came first, but it's definitely not unique to Royal! DCL has done "Magical Quest" for a bunch of years and it is as funny and fun (and risque!) as Quest on Royal.

Last year was our first time on RC, and my friend and I had just the best time at Quest. It didn't seem like anyone knew ahead of time what was going to be asked, and everyone seemed evenly matched. It was just so funny and such a good time, I can't wait to do it again!! :)

i'm interested to check it out. sounds like it involves walking up to strangers with odd requests and partial nudity. which is right up our alley. is it all age groups or what?

I want to be on the same team as you. ;)

During our Hawaii Cruise in 2008, we went to see Quest for our first time, and regarding ages getting involved, we had a lady in her 80's who had no problem handing over her Bra, I sat and filmed, while my DH and friends participated. Although we thought it was fun to watch, I don't think we will hurry to go again as we will prefer to enjoy other things on our 1st Freedom Class cruise. Our CD wouldn't allow items brought in.

We enjoy Quest. It’s like any other audience participation game that is being hosted by the ship. Funny and crazy. The Cruise staff does an excellent job putting on these events and wants everyone to have a good time and a good laugh. Especially at the expense of those participating in the fun. We feel the more variety of entertainment during the Cruise the better.

We love it. Its the best laughter ever. After our last cruise, DD was co-captain for the 3rd time, she said, "time to pass the torch"! We'll always go, but gone are the days of being captains. Never, ever did it for the silly trinkets they give, always give them away.

It isnt for everyone. :cool:

I think that knowing some of the participants can make a difference. We had just seen parts of Quest before, and thought it was a bit silly. But on our recent LOS cruise, we had friends who were in it -- and, it was hysterical. I was SO glad that I took my camera, lol! :p

Quest only gets a bad rap when they ask the same questions over and over.

It's nice when a CD states that one will not be asking what you already have brought in your bags so put it away..... The last CD that we had on the Naviagator stated if anyone caught with a bag it would be taken away until the game was over.

Again Kuddos to the CD's that change it up in order to keep the game exciting they way it was intended to be....

Archived