Do you rent a tux?

2bfirsttime

Just wondering if you use Carnival's service to rent a tux? I am thinking of using this service on our family cruise. The price of buying vs. renting is a huge gap, especially when you still have a growing young man. Also, if you do, is the rental for the duration of the cruise or just one night? Their website is not clear on that.

I have never rented a tux on a cruise and you will see very few tuxes on "cruise elegant" night anymore. For the cost of renting a tux you can probably purchase a discounted suit or at least a nice blazer that he can wear again. Of course then you have airline bag fees to deal with. :(

Good luck! :)

We do rent a tux for DH and DS. The tux comes with two shirts and you can keep it for the duration of the cruise. DH and DS are both quite tall and so bringing a suit for elegant night takes up alot of space and weight in our luggage.

We do rent a tux for DH and DS. The tux comes with two shirts and you can keep it for the duration of the cruise. DH and DS are both quite tall and so bringing a suit for elegant night takes up alot of space and weight in our luggage.

Thank You for answering my questions. Thats just what I wanted to hear. That is a REALLY good deal for a rental. We just rented for prom and we only had it for one night, it only had one shirt, etc and we paid more than the cruise line is asking.

I bought mine. You can buy them used from tux rental places. I paid slightly over $100 for mine. It came with jacket, pants, vest, bow tie, and buttons. The shirt was extra. I went online to find shoes.

I've used it for three cruises now so I more than made up for the difference in buying vs. renting.

There were several men wearing a tux on our Dream cruise. Just because others aren't dressing up doesn't mean that everyone else has to follow suit. It's up to you if you want to dress up or be casual.

I understand not everyone will be dressed up. But this is a celebratory cruise, so getting some pictures in tux's is very important to us. You never know when you will have the opportunity so see your kids in one again, kwim? or the DH :D

I own a tux, but it will stay home on my cruise next month. Of course that's partly because it seems to have "shrunk" quite a bit in the last few years. Don't know what's up with that.

You'll see people wearing tuxes on elegant night, but more will be dressed more casually. I wear a sportcoat and tie and khaki slacks, and I don't feel out of

place at all.

WE just spoke with Carnival yesterday about renting a Tux for DH. We are going to do this so we don't have to bring an extra bag with would cost $70 with Delta. Plus we don't want to worry about wrinkles, etc. We are not concerned about what everyone else wears. This is a special cruise for us and we are excited about going all out on Formal Nights! To each his own.:D

No, I have my own tux but if I didn't I would consider using the rental service on the ship. I wonder how many people actually do rent one on the ship. Most people don't wear tux's but I do and like it.

And may I be so bold as to say that "you look fabulous!"

I just love a man in a tux - or a suit!;)

No, I have my own tux but if I didn't I would consider using the rental service on the ship. I wonder how many people actually do rent one on the ship. Most people don't wear tux's but I do and like it.

You look mighty handsome in that tux pic in your siggy! I appreciate a man who likes to dress up and look nice. Not a lot of men dress up anymore, and thats sad because a tux, a nice suite and uniforms all look good on a man, it shows class.

I own a tux, but it will stay home on my cruise next month. Of course that's partly because it seems to have "shrunk" quite a bit in the last few years. Don't know what's up with that.

You'll see people wearing tuxes on elegant night, but more will be dressed more casually. I wear a sportcoat and tie and khaki slacks, and I don't feel out of

place at all.

My dad once told us his shirts had shrunk :D No worries, it happens to us all as we get older.

WE just spoke with Carnival yesterday about renting a Tux for DH. We are going to do this so we don't have to bring an extra bag with would cost $70 with Delta. Plus we don't want to worry about wrinkles, etc. We are not concerned about what everyone else wears. This is a special cruise for us and we are excited about going all out on Formal Nights! To each his own.:D

Special cruise for us too! Last cruise DH just wore his suit. However on the cruise I have in mind, our Legend cruise its special, and we want some special pictures. I dont think my guys would feel out of place if they WERE the only ones wearing one, which we know they will NOT be, but in any case, they are going to do it for ME :) They are actually really good sports when I make them get dressed up and take pictures and go places.

No, I consider myself lucky if hubby puts on a tie on formal night. I certainly don't wear a gown either, I dress up, but no more than for a business meeting. If I dressed like some of the women on formal night I'd feel like a Christmas tree, so I don't.

For our first cruise for our 25th anniversary....

I got a Christian Dior tux for 50$.....the pants were hemmed to the length we requested....He will now take it on our 4th cruise....

because he wants to!

Bernadette

We've done 10 cruises and I took a black tux and white dinner jacket on the first 5 or 6. Most of these cruises were Holland America and formal nights were still very dressy for men and women. On an 18 day cruise on the Zuiderdam I reserved the tux combo and it was delivered to my cabin in very good condition.

It seems in the past few years that the number of passengers who dress up has diminished. My wife still wears evening gowns on formal nights but I switched to wearing a dark suit several years ago. We usually sit with 3-4 other couples at dinner and usually at least one or two of the men will be in a tux. On our last cruise on the Celebrity Solstice 2 of the men at our table tried unsuccessfully to get all of the men to dress down to just a jacket without a tie.

I own mine, but haven't brought it on the last four or five sailings.

"Cruise Elegant" is a complete joke.

I wear mine on every cruise and although few "tux up" anymore, I don't care. I dress for my wife. If table mates remark about wearing a tux I laugh and tell them I got asked for more dinner rolls and extra coffee on my way thru the MDR. OP, I think your DS and DH will not regret going formal, after all, the only ones that really care are you and the rest of your party.

I have my own Tux and wear it every cruise. I've noticed on Celebrity and Princess most people dress for elegant night but Carnival is different, it mostly come as you want. I don't dress for the other guests, I polish up for my wife. OP, how your men dress won't matter to anyone but you and your family, but If they "tux up" they won't regret it and I'm sure you all will relive the experience thru pictures for a long time.

We have rented tuxes for many cruises for my hubby. Saved lots of room. This past B2B cruise we did, we finally made the decision to buy a tux as by now we have spent enough in renting to have purchased. We really did enjoy not having to pack the tuxes, plus gave lots more room for souvenirs. I would definitely recommend it and hubby was never the only one in a tux on formal nights. We saw plenty of them for sure.

Archived