Using CruiseCritic on an iPod Touch?

nytraveller53

The Ipod touch uses Safari as it's browser and basically it's the same as accessing CC from your regular computer, except of course, a smaller viewing area.

I always bring mine when we cruise and have accessed Cruise Critic with no problems when we've been sitting in our hotel room the night before. :)

I'm not totally sure on that one... I'll go test it and get back :confused:

Just went to test the ipod and it shows the formatting codes (for bold or whatever), when you go to preview the post. From what I can see, it's no different than using CC from your regular computer :)

I've had mine a year now and love it! :)

PS- does it support the "WYSIWYG" editor? You know, when you click "bold" in the typing window, you see bold as you type, etc.?

I purchased an ipod touch that came out right before this latest one so it doesn't have a microphone or video chat.

However, it was great on my last cruise! I did a live from post and used it to respond to questions etc on CC in my downtime. As was mentioned, the screen is smaller and uses the Safari browser which is just like IE or Firefox would be. The nice thing I find though is that you can turn the ipod horizontally and it makes the text bigger. And you can tap the screen to zoom in and out if you need the text even bigger. I do have trouble sometimes tapping the right numbers to change pages but you can zoom right in on the bar of page numbers and then zoom back out after choosing the number.

One thing to note though is that the touch requires wifi so if you use it on a cruise, you'll be paying for their internet package. Far as I know only the iphone and ipad have plans for continuous coverage.

I purchased an ipod touch that came out right before this latest one so it doesn't have a microphone or video chat.

However, it was great on my last cruise! I did a live from post and used it to respond to questions etc on CC in my downtime. As was mentioned, the screen is smaller and uses the Safari browser which is just like IE or Firefox would be. The nice thing I find though is that you can turn the ipod horizontally and it makes the text bigger. And you can tap the screen to zoom in and out if you need the text even bigger. I do have trouble sometimes tapping the right numbers to change pages but you can zoom right in on the bar of page numbers and then zoom back out after choosing the number.

One thing to note though is that the touch requires wifi so if you use it on a cruise, you'll be paying for their internet package. Far as I know only the iphone and ipad have plans for continuous coverage.

Even though I bring mine with me on the ship, I never purchase their internet package! If we're in port and there's someplace offering cheap internet, I may buy 15 minutes just to check email and check in at home.

What I like about having it with me is the fact that I use the "Notes" section a lot before we go... recording our excursions and any other reminders I need. It's just so much easier than scribbling it all down on a piece of paper and it's all right there, in one spot. Of course, you don't need WIFI to check your notes... or to sit on your balcony and play some stupid game :D:D I wouldn't be without mine now!

Just went to test the ipod and it shows the formatting codes (for bold or whatever), when you go to preview the post. From what I can see, it's no different than using CC from your regular computer :)

I've had mine a year now and love it! :)

Thanks for checking...I think I can live without a WYSIWYG editor...

I have an iPad, and CC works fine on that. So I was just making sure that it's the same on the iPod touch. Thanks, all!:)

I was wondering if anyone has experiences of using the CC message boards on an iPod touch? I'm considering getting one, and using CC would be a decent part of the appeal to me. So, does it/how does it work? Thanks in advance!;)

I love my iTouch. It's great to use in while in bed (like now ;)). You get to stay all nice and cozy instead of getting up and using the PC in the other room. When I can't sleep I get on CC to see what's happening. Yes, I'm addicted to CC! :D

I love my iTouch. It's great to use in while in bed (like now ;)). You get to stay all nice and cozy instead of getting up and using the PC in the other room. When I can't sleep I get on CC to see what's happening. Yes, I'm addicted to CC! :D

That's another perk I didn't think of!

Thanks for all the info.

Our oldest son just won one at a Chemical Engineering Fair in Atlanta....

I am so technology challenged that it isn't funny....and when he told me he had won it...I said..."you won a what?"

now I know!!

(he loves it btw)

Has anyone ever tried the app "Forum Runner" for the iPhone/iPod touch? I was just browsing the app store, and it looks like it would be compatible with CC (because it uses VBulletin) Maybe this could be the ultimate solution to CC on an "i-device"?

I don't understand why you would need anything to read CC on your I-phone or I-pod?

I just open safari, first bookmark is CC and I'm off, just like clicking it in my favorites on my computer at home.

Just curious...

Bill

I don't understand why you would need anything to read CC on your I-phone or I-pod?

I just open safari, first bookmark is CC and I'm off, just like clicking it in my favorites on my computer at home.

Just curious...

Bill

Sometimes actual apps make browsing message boards on the iPod/iPhone much nicer than using Safari

There is no such thing as an itouch. :rolleyes:

What difference does it make if someone (me, since I was the one who used the term) calls it something other than an ipod Touch? Geez:rolleyes:

And for what it's worth, considering there is an ipod and an ipad, I prefer my term anyway. But thanks for pointing out the error in my ways, I feel so enlightened now .... (not)

OP, I still prefer my ipad over my "itouch":)

What difference does it make if someone (me, since I was the one who used the term) calls it something other than an ipod Touch? Geez:rolleyes:

And for what it's worth, considering there is an ipod and an ipad, I prefer my term anyway. But thanks for pointing out the error in my ways, I feel so enlightened now .... (not)

OP, I still prefer my ipad over my "itouch":)

Just won an itouch:)so gave the old one to my husband. Love it when I am cruising. I can read books from Kindle, Nook, and Kobo apps. Take decent video and passable photos. I was able to find free wifi in every port. Had an app to put my itinerary in so I always knew when to be back on the ship. Don't have an ipad (wish I did) but the itouch is small and easy to slip in a pocket. BTW...almost everyone who has one refers to it as itouch.:rolleyes:

Just won an itouch:)so gave the old one to my husband. Love it when I am cruising. I can read books from Kindle, Nook, and Kobo apps. Take decent video and passable photos. I was able to find free wifi in every port. Had an app to put my itinerary in so I always knew when to be back on the ship. Don't have an ipad (wish I did) but the itouch is small and easy to slip in a pocket. BTW...almost everyone who has one refers to it as itouch.:rolleyes:

Hi Taz! The point about the itouch fitting in a pocket is quite a good one actually - just wish my eyes were what they used to be;).

Hi Taz! The point about the itouch fitting in a pocket is quite a good one actually - just wish my eyes were what they used to be;).

Me too:Dbut most of the time I just make the print larger. Next cruise I will put it in a sandwich bag so I don't worry so much about water and sand.

Sometimes actual apps make browsing message boards on the iPod/iPhone much nicer than using Safari

The only thing I can see that would be easier would be if you did not have to keep zooming in and out, like you do on Safari.

If the apps do that, then I am sold.

Bill

Archived