Recent cruisers: Spec. Restaurants?

Saruman

There was some recent speculation that Princess was moving to formal night dress code for the Specialty Restaurants, due to a change of wording on their site. Can any recent cruisers please report on whether or not they are "requesting" formal dress there on formal nights in the MDR's?

PLEASE! This is NOT an invitation to beat the Dead Horse of Dress Code Adherence , just a clarification of new policy/procedures.

There was some recent speculation that Princess was moving to formal night dress code for the Specialty Restaurants, due to a change of wording on their site. Can any recent cruisers please report on whether or not they are "requesting" formal dress there on formal nights in the MDR's?

PLEASE! This is NOT an invitation to beat the Dead Horse of Dress Code Adherence , just a clarification of new policy/procedures.

The answer is a definite no for the Star.

I went to the pursers desk last year on the Golden for clarification and was told it was formal dress in all dining venues except for the Horizon Court. I know I should have asked the Matre'd but couldn't find him that day. We usually booked the specialty restaurants on formal nights anyways if we're going to dress up, might as well go all out!

I went to the pursers desk last year on the Golden for clarification and was told it was formal dress in all dining venues except for the Horizon Court. I know I should have asked the Matre'd but couldn't find him that day. We usually booked the specialty restaurants on formal nights anyways if we're going to dress up, might as well go all out!

I hear ya...a year ago on the Coral, there were signs outside the specialty restaurants reminding passengers that formal guidelines applied there too.

I hear ya...a year ago on the Coral, there were signs outside the specialty restaurants reminding passengers that formal guidelines applied there too.

I was on the Coral a year ago, and definitely did not dress on formal night. Signs are only signs if they are not enforced.

I was on the Coral a year ago, and definitely did not dress on formal night. Signs are only signs if they are not enforced.

The question was about "requesting" not "enforcement"..I was only answering the question.:)

We were on the Emerald in March and were told that both specialty restaurants were formal on formal night. We called twice to verify this since we hadn't planned on doing formal. We ended up doing the Caribe on formal night and the two specialty restaurants a casual night. I never went by to see how people were actually dressed.

Ruby was smart casual in November. I specifically asked the Maitre 'd before making a reservation for formal night. Grand was smart casual in the Steak House in 2008.

Will be on the Coral in two weeks and will report what signs, patter and reality say.

We were on the SAPPHIRE PRINCESS for the April 9th cruise. On thursday (the last formal night) we ate in the Sterling Steakhouse and dressed in khakis and polo shirts, There was no problem at all. Others were dressed similarly and there was no mention nor were any signs posted requesting formal dress.

We are on the April 30th sailing of the Sapphire and do not plan on doing the formal evenings this trip, this will be our first time not doing them. We will eat in the Horizion Court the first formal night and planned on eating in the Sterling Steak House the second night, minus the suit and tie for DH. He will be in dress slack and a dress shirt, just no jacket or tie. I plan on wearing nice black slacks and a very dressy sweater, with a little bling. It should be interesting, but if there is any problem we can just head back up to the Horizion Court and be very nicely dressed. :D

I have to be honest - I have seen people in jeans, shirts and sneakers and never turned away (nor, have I ever seen these venues crowded). I think that, unless you show up in shorts and a T-shirt, they won't turn you away.

We are on the April 30th sailing of the Sapphire and do not plan on doing the formal evenings this trip, this will be our first time not doing them. We will eat in the Horizion Court the first formal night and planned on eating in the Sterling Steak House the second night, minus the suit and tie for DH. He will be in dress slack and a dress shirt, just no jacket or tie. I plan on wearing nice black slacks and a very dressy sweater, with a little bling. It should be interesting, but if there is any problem we can just head back up to the Horizion Court and be very nicely dressed. :D

I have enjoyed the specialty restaurants... They are truly worth the extra money!

From the current "Cruise Answer Book" on the Princess web site:

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our passengers."

Specialty restaurants are not included in the request to observe the formal dress code.

This is no change in wording from what it has been for a couple of years.

We were also on the Sapphire April 9 cruise. On the first Formal Night the Patter stated “Evening gowns, cocktail dresses or trouser suits for ladies. Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets or suits with a tie for gentlemen.” That was followed by the statement “Passengers who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our Casual Dining option in the Horizon Court.” There was no mention of the Specialty Restaurants.

No matter what was said in the Patter, the actual “formal’ dress for gentlemen was quite different. From what I could see there were less than 10% of men wearing tuxedos and not many more wearing suits. There were a large number of men in the Pacific Moon wearing just a shirt and tie and some men were also wearing a shirt with no tie. Looks like the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire is not that “formal”.

Archived