Carnival treats Australian and NZ defence personnel

I think it's to stop people who get on the cruise and subsequently find out about the benefit and then try to get it added to their account. Anyway it's a "freebie" not a right so best to play by their rules. It's not too difficult.

Yes - agree entirely.

But it seems that they want us to "confirm" the deal after it has already been approved - only too happy to do that, but just curious as to why and how to do it. Will talk to our agent about it.

Barry

We are awaiting a response on Harry's service with the British Army in WW2. He is calculating how many pre dinner whisky's he can afford. Thanks for resurrecting this thread Bizziecruzer! I missed it first time around.

Colleen

PS - Pennies are always welcome Dennis!

Edited by cjm66

Seems to me this is important information that could be circulated by the RSL's and RSA's (in NZ).

Does anyone know if they do this?

Travel Agents should also be aware and would gain "Brownie Points" if they told their clients.

I bet many of them dont bother.:rolleyes:

BTW

OBC is $50 for 6 days or less , $100 for 7-13 days and $250 for 14 days and over. We are doing a 5 day, 13 day and 14 day cruise ( Shame about the 13 day one!! :rolleyes:)

David -- I may yet be able to afford a glass or two in the Veuvre Clicquot bar :)

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

.......only too happy to do that, but just curious as to why and how to do it........

G'day Barry,

I just sent an email to the address below

defencebenefits@carnivalaustralia.com

In the email I posted a copy of my statment of service [issued to all ex Army personnel on request - I presume the RAN has similar].

I gave them my booking number and the [Princess] cruise I was going on.

Carnival came back [within 48 hours] with an amended Deposit schedule which now showed the Military OBC - in my case $250.01.

As Sandy queried, I wonder how I will spend that extra cent - and more to the point how did they calculate it.???? :D:p

Dennis

My TA has said something about "amending the invoice" as well. As this is an OBC, I am unsure as to why invoices and/or deposit schedules should be amended???

Barry

They do it as your record that it's on the booking. It helps if you get onboard and then find that you don't have an OBC.

• 3 weeks later...

The system seems to be working smoothly - we applied for military service OBC two weeks ago and it is up on Cruise Personaliser as $100.001 OBC for our March 30 cruise to NZ. One more day and we could have afforded the sour apple martinis as well!

Colleen

• 3 months later...

Hi we are booked on the Carnival Spirit in Sept 2012 and i tried getting the military OBC and was told no. We booked the cruise on an UK website. I got the go around. Carnival Australia said they could not accesss our booking and to ring the US. Rang the US they said they don't do OBC for Australian military. Was then told to ring Carnival Uk because booking was made in UK. Uk said we were entitled to it, but we had to contact travel agent in UK. Did that was still told that Carnival US said we were not entitled to it.I am a little puzzled as i have read on CC that people in Australia have booked with US TA and have received the OBC. So beware check before you book if you are going to get the OBC.

From today's Cruise Weekly

Carnival treats Australian and NZ defence personnel

Men and women of the Australian and New Zealand Defence Forces are set to have a little more onboard cruise cash following the launch of a new initiative from Carnival Australia.

Designed to pay tribute to members of the armed forces, under the scheme all current, discharged and retired members of the Australian and NZ Defence Forces (including the Royal Australian Navy, AirForce and Army) will be given onboard

credit of up to $250 when booking a cruise with P&O Cruises Australia, Princess Cruises or Cunard (represented in Australia by Carnival).

“We think it’s a great way of acknowledging the men and women who give so much for their countries,” said Carnival Australia Senior Vice President Jenny Lourey.

Current and ex-service personnel who wish to take advantage of the free credit simply need to provide documentation

demonstrating their service in either the Australian or New Zealand Defence

Forces at the time of booking.

You know all I have left from my service is certificates of enlistment and a letter granting me the Australian Defence Medal. No other paper work exists for me. If others have thrown their stuff out then it may be a little difficult to prove. The other obstacle is people who retain their enlistment certificate and do not make it through recruit training.

You know all I have left from my service is certificates of enlistment and a letter granting me the Australian Defence Medal. No other paper work exists for me. If others have thrown their stuff out then it may be a little difficult to prove. The other obstacle is people who retain their enlistment certificate and do not make it through recruit training.

I think you will find you have enough information to supply for the OBC. All they ask is for some proof that you were in the services, not the length of time. The staff at Defence benefits at Carnival are very helpful.:)

Re: Defence Force benefits - OBC.

We booked our next cruise direct with Princess Australia as their price was the same as the Australian on line T/A's and in fact the same as the American on line T.A.'s not that I could or would book with them anyway.

So I have today fired off another request by mail with my letter of service from Central Army Records Office for defence force benefit obc. Should get $250 obc for 31 days cruise on Golden Princess. Now that is 10 bottles of vino!

It took a long time for Carnival Australia to give us what the Americans have been getting for years.

Edited by NSWP

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread again after sooooo long.....

here is one for you guys ....I HOPE you can help me or point me in a direction!

I am an Australian citizen now, served in the US Navy, and have booked a WC Segment on QE via Cunard Australia. I sent an email uing the email address on the Cunard Australia site, which incidentally went to the UK, and was told the UK cannot access my booking as I had booked thru Australia. I tried to go to an email posted by others elsewhere in the CC forum, supposedly to Carnival Australia and it came back as undeliverable. I read earlier in this post to try defencebenefits, etc. so I have tried that earlier today..so mabe it will work out. Any other suggestions?

BOY, what a runaround!!! They all want you to run around in circles and do not seem to know the rules. It is comforting to know that some of you have gotten the benefit, and I am hopeful I will get it as well. I know my circumstances are slightly different than others, but military service is military service.

Thanks in advance,

Barbara

It doesnt include P&O UK booked in Australia does it? It would be great if it did but somehow I dont think so.

I got Military credit OBC for my Cunard cruises last year -- booked here in Oz through an Aussie TA. I think that you should get it for your Naval service when booking P&O UK.

Barry

I got Military credit OBC for my Cunard cruises last year -- booked here in Oz through an Aussie TA. I think that you should get it for your Naval service when booking P&O UK.

Barry

Barry, I don't think P&O UK pays out military obc for army/navy/air force people, retired or serving. I have searched this site, no real answer, but have asked again via P&O UK board. I have also searched P&O UK website re same, no find.

I know all about Princess military obc, have had that in the past and got $250 for next year on Golden Princess. I know Cunard does the obc too.

Edited by NSWP

Barry, I don't think P&O UK pays out military obc for army/navy/air force people, retired or serving. I have searched this site, no real answer, but have asked again via P&O UK board. I have also searched P&O UK website re same, no find.

Yes, that's right. I checked with them for a cruise earlier this year and was told they don't.

Thanks for starting this thread up again, here's my two bobs worth.

It's a pity the other cruise lines only give the Military OBC and discounts to the US and Canadian Forces, what about the rest of us who served along side them?? I think it's about time the other defence personnel were recognized.