Gondola rides in venice

ISLAND DIVA

You can find some information regarding gondolas on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1376149&highlight=gondola

Post #3 and #4 on that thread have good suggestions.

You may also want to check this link, for lots of information related to transportation in Venice:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/local-transportation-index.htm

Enjoy!

I was like you but the second time around I figured how many chances one has in life to do some things and said what the heck. Yes 80-100 euros for a silly ride in a boat is highway robbery but I figured the 80-100 euros won't break me but the memories were pretty special to those that took it, YMMV.

It was 80E two weeks ago....and apparently no haggling. We passed.

The key when you negotiate the price is to agree on where they will take you and how long the ride will be. Be sure to get into the Grand Canal. It is a wonderful experience. The price will likely be higher than you would like but I would do it either way. Bring your camera. If you have video capabilities also use them.

Keith

Yes, expensive if only one or two in a boat but they do take up to 5 or 6 and at 15/20 euro a head then it is not bad for a once in a lifetime experience.

Definitely make sure you cover the Grand Canal if possible. We have used the Gondola Station behind St Marks Square next to the Hard Rock and this covers a good itinerary.

Rather than pay 80-100 EUR ($120-$150 when we there) for just the gondola ride, I opted to book a tour that included the evening gondola ride.

I think we paid $55 pp but it is now $57 on viator dot com. The walking tour through the back streets of Venice was interesting, we stopped and had a gelato and ended with the gondola ride about sunset. They did put 6 of us in the gondola, but we thought it was great and we felt we got more bang for our buck!

My traveling friend had said she didn't care if we did anything else in Venice, but she wanted to ride a gondola.

Have a great trip!

I assumed I would take a gondola ride during my first visit to Venice, but once I got there, it no longer interested me. Still doesn't. However on our last visit we had a ride on a traghetto. That was a memorable experience and only .50 E. It was like a gutted gondola ( no seats) to take passengers across the Canal where there wasn't a bridge closeby. What a laugh! All the locals standing seriously while we laughed ourselves silly trying to stay upright!

How much is a gondola ride in Venice.How long would the ride be.Is it better to take one in the evening or the day?Also is there a particular route to take.Sorry for all the questions.

I was so busy reliving my wonderful traghetto experience that I didn't answer the question. As for a route, I think you should wait until you get there and see how you feel. You may prefer to experience the Grand Canal and the Rialto Bridge and all the boat traffic, or, you may prefer the quiet small side canals where people actually live.

I was lazy - I waited for the early evening when the sun was not so hot, and paid $120 euro for 45 minutes to an hour - I know way too expensive, but it was the perfect gondola and he was the nicest guy - gave a lot of historic information, took us down the grand canal, and through the back canals. Even cheapo DH didn't quibble. It was more than just a gondola ride, it was a complete and informative tour - it was wonderful and now off my bucket list:)

I have been to Venice many times for many reasons but to go to Venice and not take a Gondola is like going to to Paris and saying, "What Eiffel Tower?". Some of the advice here is spot on and worth reiteration.

#1. Establish how long the ride will take and where it will go. You really want to hit the Rialto & Academa bridges as well as the Bridge of Sighs.

#2. The Gondolere speak English, don't let them fool you. They do expect a tip along with their price.

#3. It's not like Las Vegas, These Gondolere DO NOT SING. I have a portable MP3 player that I take along cued up with some Verdi and Puccini. I have a pretty good set of pipes so I usually belt one out as we go under tha Academia Bridge. This garners some attention and encouragement from the pedestrians. (I'm not shy)

#4. Harry's Bar is just off St Mark's Square. It's the best (and possibly priciest) Burger in town but becides being Hemmingway's watering hole of choice it is the birthplace of the Belini. A Belini is a cocktail made with Proseco and Apricot Nectar and is delicious. They aren't giving Belinis away at Harry's (Bring a fist full of Euro) but they are so good. This has to do with a Gondola ride because I think a Belini at Harry's is a great way to get you reved up for the adventure. There are a bunch of Gongolere just behind Harry's. Luca has been paddeling around those canals for years and I have never been to that spot when he has not been around. I even walk down that ally just to give him a shout and a wave. These guys are all super cool and never screwed us. We even did a Gondola dinner durng Carvevale through Club Culturale Interationale one year and Luca was our guy for that too. He's great, ask for him.

5. Keep the party going. Proseco is a sparkeling wine that is easy to find and $10.00 to buy. Get a bottle and some cheap glasses and you don't need a cork screw because the cork is like a Champagne cork. Drink Up.

6. If there are only 2 of you and you don't mind sharing, ask around at the dock if anyone might like to share. Show them the proseco and offer to share that too and you will often get an enthusiastic Yes.

7. This is a tourist thing to do. No getting around it. But how can you really say you've been to venice if you havn't bitten the bullet and done it. Have fun and make a memory. :)

I have been to Venice many times for many reasons but to go to Venice and not take a Gondola is like going to to Paris and saying, "What Eiffel Tower?". Some of the advice here is spot on and worth reiteration.

#4. Harry's Bar is just off St Mark's Square. It's the best (and possibly priciest) Burger in town but becides being Hemmingway's watering hole of choice it is the birthplace of the Belini. A Belini is a cocktail made with Proseco and Apricot Nectar and is delicious. They aren't giving Belinis away at Harry's (Bring a fist full of Euro) but they are so good.

7. This is a tourist thing to do. No getting around it. But how can you really say you've been to venice if you havn't bitten the bullet and done it. Have fun and make a memory. :)

Thanks for taking the time to point out these tips!

One of our friends is so looking forward to going to Harry's for the famous Belini. How big of a fist? Seriously, what is the cost of a cocktail at Harry's?

Thanks!

#2. The Gondolere speak English, don't let them fool you. They do expect a tip along with their price.

They might speak English, or they might not. I don't think they're going to try to fool you if not! :) Realistically, you can't expect all gondoleri to speak English (or Russian, French or Chinese!)

Thanks for taking the time to point out these tips!

One of our friends is so looking forward to going to Harry's for the famous Belini. How big of a fist? Seriously, what is the cost of a cocktail at Harry's?

Thanks!

I believe it was 18 euros last year.

I went once and will never return. It was $50 for two drinks to sit in a dark room without a view. If you look at it as an extremely overprice museum, you can justify it that way. :)

So am I understanding this correctly? If my husband and I take a private gondola ride for just the two of us it will cost a total of 80E plus a tip for the gondolier and not 80E each?

Yes. You pay for the ride, not per person.

I believe we paid 100 Euros for a longer ride last May.

And as you wander in Venice, you will be approached or talked to by MANY gondoliers offering rides from whatever location they happen to be at. You pay for the gondola ride, not by the person, sharing with others can reduce the cost, but also the romance if you are so inclined. I thought the gondola ride was going to be one of my must dos in Venice, but it wasn't. I was just as happy walking the back alleys and getting lost, enjoyed that even more. It's very hard to get lost for very long. I personally think the tours that offer rides at a price per person are a rip-off and would not recommend them. If you are more comfortable with that though, then go for it.

I believe it was 18 euros last year.

I went once and will never return. It was $50 for two drinks to sit in a dark room without a view. If you look at it as an extremely overprice museum, you can justify it that way. :)

That sounds about right... But at least you went ONCE!! It's an experience.

Archived