All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Hi Everyone, We booked GS 1568 on EOS. Ok, just a few questions.

1. Can I bring food back to my cabin from the Concierge lounge in the am?

2. Are there any surprises waiting in my room from the concierge? IE Bottle of Wine :rolleyes:

3. DO they offer soda or even water in our room?

This will be our first cruise. Plus traveling with small kids so we have no plans on going into the concierge unless the kids are at AO.

Yes, you can bring food back in the morning...fruits, pastries, cheeses, bagels, things like that. Also have a good coffee machine that grinds the beans with every cup, real coffee, unlike the promenade stuff. I always go there for my coffee in the morning.

Surprises...no wine, but they do deliver you something everyday...chocolate covered strawberries, cheese plate, fruit bowl, candy, etc.

We also got a gift basket a few times with a small bottle of Johnny Walker, men's cologne, women's perfume, candy, nuts, etc. It was a promotion from the ship's gift shops, or something similar.

You'll get one, maybe 2 bottles of water, they will not be in the fridge, but left out. After that you have to pay for whats stocked in the fridge. I think they left us soda once also.

The last 3 cruises on Expl. we had a GS. They do drop goodies by every other day as previous poster stated. You get one bottle of complamentary water, the rest you pay for. Kids are allowed in the CL and I dont think they really like you to take alcoholic drinks out of loung, could be wrong because we have always drank then there. No free wine, you can call RS and order a bottle they have wine list in your room.

I think we just stayed in suite 1658 our last room. I will check!

Thanks for all of the Reply's. This is all new to my family and I. We were going for a Jr suite but for a few hundred more, why not!! K, now I know to order a bottle of something ahead of time. The coffee will be nice. It looks like we have more to look forward to than just the ports! We can not wait.

Family is sailing on the EOS July 5th cruise already signed up for Meet and Mingle, any others going on this cruise please sign up we need a few more folks to make it happen, anyone know if there is a Roll Call ??

Family is sailing on the EOS July 5th cruise already signed up for Meet and Mingle, any others going on this cruise please sign up we need a few more folks to make it happen, anyone know if there is a Roll Call ??

All you need to do is go to the roll call section on the boards, go to Royal Carribbean and then go to Explorer of the Seas and then scroll down the list till you find your sailing. Wait, I'll make it easy for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1437554

Not adding anything new but just wanted to come back on this thread and send out a big THANK YOU to 138east. Last year about this time we were planning our Explorer help the 138east was a HUGH help.

Great thread and THANKS AGAIN 138east and others that offered assistance!

Tim

It's actually in Hole 19, which is the back part of Dizzy's Lounge on Deck 14. However, it is aft, not forward, and you can access it only via the port side bank of aft elevators.

They offer red, white, and zinfandel wine. I think it's La Terre. Not the best, but after a glass or two I don't notice.

Guest maddycat
It's actually in Hole 19, which is the back part of Dizzy's Lounge on Deck 14. However, it is aft, not forward, and you can access it only via the port side bank of aft elevators.

They offer red, white, and zinfandel wine. I think it's La Terre. Not the best, but after a glass or two I don't notice.

We just got off the Explorer today. Great cruise. The Diamond Event was in the 19th Hole, from 5-8:30 every day. They offered chardonnay, merlot, cabernet, white zin, champagne and sodas.

The Explorer does not have a dedicated diamond lounge like many other RCL ships and therefore has a limited drink offering. I believe she is scheduled to get an upgraded D lounge after the next dry dock.

I really didn't understand your Brie or pinkie references - could you elaborate?

We need a D1 cabin with sofa bed to hold 3 next to a D2 cabin to hold 2. We are currently booked with this configuration on deck 7 all the way forward. I just saw that 8652 & 8654 are open for our sailing. In your opinion, are these 2 cabins in a better location? I am nervous about being so far forward because some members of our party tend to have motion sickness, but at the time I booked the 2 cabins we have were all that the RCI rep offered.

Interested in hearing the thoughts of those experienced Explorer cruisers...

We need a D1 cabin with sofa bed to hold 3 next to a D2 cabin to hold 2. We are currently booked with this configuration on deck 7 all the way forward. I just saw that 8652 & 8654 are open for our sailing. In your opinion, are these 2 cabins in a better location? I am nervous about being so far forward because some members of our party tend to have motion sickness, but at the time I booked the 2 cabins we have were all that the RCI rep offered.

8652/4 are towards aft. I would think they would be pretty good location. Forward, you are going to get more motion. Also, this location would be convenient for the pool and WJ.

Also, do you really need to have cabins next to each other. My experience, having sailed with groups of about 20, I never went to another's cabin, and no one ever came to mine. Matter of fact, I had no reason to go to another's cabin, and no one had any reason to come to ours. If children are involved, that is another thing, but with adults, absolutely no reason IMHO to have cabins near one another.

Also, do you really need to have cabins next to each other.

Thanks for your response. We're a family of 5; that's why we strongly prefer cabins next to each other. We also prefer the sofa bed to pull-down. There aren't that many cabins that meet all these criteria. I've been watching (to no avail) for a price drop, and noticed this new availability show up today.

baked brie can actually be quite wonderful...but alas, i tend to stay away from cheese...bad for the gall bladder.....and i don't hold my pinkie in the air....it gets cramped rather quickly.....(that is supposed to be funny!!!):D

while i have loved all my cruises...i prefer Royal and do like to take advantage of the free beverages....

that said...Explorer is a great ship and i miss sailing on that ship!! IMO the crew is amazingly friendly and having an under-60 minute drive to the pier does not stink in any way!!

i too have made some great friends (hello 138east, beach buddy, radio, medic ken.....etc etc etc....too many to name them all!!!) and i think you'll have a wonderful cruise....

as for the CCL ships...the 2 i've been on are a bit on the, hmm, glitzy side HAHA...but I also want to try the Breeze..mainly to see the game show they will have (saw a rehearsal a few months back...looks fun.....real life versions of some popular HASBRO games..) and the pictures i've seen of the ship do make it seem a LOT easier on the eyes....

have a nice time

they would be a good choice....not sure if you were able to switch or not...

you're sailing this summer?? while you can't predict the ocean at all, it SHOULD be less bouncy than it would be in say, February.....

enjoy!

baked brie can actually be quite wonderful...but alas, i tend to stay away from cheese...bad for the gall bladder.....and i don't hold my pinkie in the air....it gets cramped rather quickly.....(that is supposed to be funny!!!):D

while i have loved all my cruises...i prefer Royal and do like to take advantage of the free beverages....

that said...Explorer is a great ship and i miss sailing on that ship!! IMO the crew is amazingly friendly and having an under-60 minute drive to the pier does not stink in any way!!

i too have made some great friends (hello 138east, beach buddy, radio, medic ken.....etc etc etc....too many to name them all!!!) and i think you'll have a wonderful cruise....

as for the CCL ships...the 2 i've been on are a bit on the, hmm, glitzy side HAHA...but I also want to try the Breeze..mainly to see the game show they will have (saw a rehearsal a few months back...looks fun.....real life versions of some popular HASBRO games..) and the pictures i've seen of the ship do make it seem a LOT easier on the eyes....

have a nice time

Thanks for your response Meg.....I appreciate the fact that there are some RCCL loyalists that have a sense of humor and are not so confrontational with those who prefer to cruise on Carnival. Of course the fact that you're from Jersey automatically implies that you'll be able to see both sides of any given topic and not be myopic, which is a tendency amongst many people on these boards.

Thanks for your response Meg.....I appreciate the fact that there are some RCCL loyalists that have a sense of humor and are not so confrontational with those who prefer to cruise on Carnival. Of course the fact that you're from Jersey automatically implies that you'll be able to see both sides of any given topic and not be myopic, which is a tendency amongst many people on these boards.

thanks...(well...generally it is MY way or NO way!!:D or my cat's way more likely...)

and actually i am far sighted..(in one eye...the other, who knows) .with astigmatism...:eek::cool:

sorry...my sense of humor is rather strange today...must be the frappuccino..and the full moon...and the pollen....

seriously...different ships for different peeps....we should just try to all get along....

Anybody know the distance per lap for the jogging track??

Or

How many laps equal a mile??

I am about 85% sure that it is five laps to the mile. We really enjoyed walking up here in the late afternoon/early evening when it was quiet and you had a nice view of the port.

I am about 85% sure that it is five laps to the mile. We really enjoyed walking up here in the late afternoon/early evening when it was quiet and you had a nice view of the port.

Thanks, I'll go with that.

5 laps for sure. Make sure you participate in the make a wish walk. $10 dollar donation you get a tee and can participate in a walk led by the captain and ships officers. A real nice walk for an really good cause.