All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

We ate @ Portofinos twice and one time was just ok and the other was very good!

What were the differences between the OK time and the very good, was it the service or the entrees that you had? And which entrees were better IYHO? Thanks

We are on the same sailing. In Bermuda there is so much you can do on your own. Unless you plan on sunset cruises , scuba tours etc... than you can make reservations on the RCCL site when you log in to do your online check in. All shore excursions are listed there.

We cruise to Bermuda every fall and have never done anything thru an excursion, just on our own. Bermuda is so easy to navigate with their transportation system. It's a very safe,clean island with the friendliest locals. So different than the Caribbean.

Do you have any specific questions ?

Hope this helps a bit . Let me know.

Carrie

We will be on EOS at the end of September with about 30 people in our group. This is my first cruise, and I'm wondering when/how I can make plans/reservations/excursion requests before we board.

Thanks!

We will be on EOS at the end of September with about 30 people in our group. This is my first cruise, and I'm wondering when/how I can make plans/reservations/excursion requests before we board.

Thanks!

They usually open the pre-cruise planner (for excursions, dinner reservations, spa reservations, etc.) after final payment is made. Sometimes, however, it is open before then, so you can check every few weeks. I like to make specialty dinner or spa reservations as far in advance as possible. You can always cancel or change, and they do tend to book up quickly on a crowded sailing.

We are sailing in October to Bermuda. Are there refrigerators in any rooms?

Louise

Can anyone answer this?

And if they do, can you ask for all the stuff to be removed so that you can actually use it?

Thanks

Yes, there will be a refrigerator in your room and you can ask your attendant to have the contents emptied. They are more of a cooler though, they are not very cold. You can also get your ice bucket filled once or twice a day if needed. We would keep a bottle of water or 2 in the ice to get it colder.

Edited by fred30

As was stated earlier, the fridge will not make something cold that is not already cold, and it will really just slow down the warming process of something that is cold, e.g., beer bottle. It is also very small--I was able to fit a plate in there (since I wanted to keep some leftovers from Portofino for a late-night snack), but the plate was essentially perpendicular to the floor. If you want something to stay cold--like a bottle of wine or some beers you buy for the room--then a bucket of ice (which the stateroom attendant will happily provide) is the best option.

Leaving tomorrow on the Explorer for a 5 night cruise to Bermuda! Very excited! Just me and the Hubby....kids are staying home with the grandparents!! :)

I'm very happy for you!!:) Your excitement is contagious...hubby and I are also doing a 5 nite to Bermuda on the Explorer in June and I cannot wait!...hope you have a fantastic cruise. I'll be anxious to hear what you think when you return...Happy Sails.:)

Going to be on the Explorer next April with my wife and baby daughter we are booked in a E1 on the hump, just saw that cat D1 room 1388 is available, it would be an extra $500+ for all of us.. Do you guys think it's worth it. I've been on Explorer 3 times before and have stayed in the Promenade cabin, Large Ocean View and Junior Suite. Is there that much of a difference in size between a E1 and D1 room 1388, for that money?

Its a crap shoot. If you can afford it maybe. Its about a foot more room at the end of the bed. Dont know how old your daughter is but DD with 2 yo son just turned the couch around and used that for his bed. It worked perfect for them and didnt take up too much room!

We are booked in an adjoining promenade stateroom, are you able to hear normal talking in the other room or just if they raise their voices? What about opening and closing of bathroom doors, etc.?

Our first cruise was on the Explorer when she was brand new and sailing out of Miami. A TA booked our cabin for us (I didn't know anything about picking a cabin back then). Well, we were in an adjoining balcony cabin and noise didn't bother us to much but instead of a sofa we only had a chair in our cabin. Personally I don't like adjoining cabins, but if it meant the difference between sailing and not sailing, I'll still take one any day! I don't know if the cabin we had was just an odd one with no sofa so maybe others on here can answer since that was the only adjoining cabin we ever had.

Celebrity does adjoining cabins way different and it's really cool how they have them set up. It doesn't matter if you have one or not on the Solstice class ships. We were recently on the Silhouette and a friend of mine told me not to worry if it says adjoining cabin - I didn't understand what she was talking about until we were on the ship. It's really pretty cool how they join them. Wouldn't matter to anyone at all because they're joined on the outside of the cabin..........there is no door between the 2 cabins.

Patty

Patty

We are booked in an adjoining promenade stateroom, are you able to hear normal talking in the other room or just if they raise their voices? What about opening and closing of bathroom doors, etc.?

This past Feb we were on the Explorer and had a D1 cabin, 1692, which connects to JS 1694. We never heard a peep! No bathroom noise either.

Also, because the cabins are so long on deck 10 Aft we had a full size sofa and did not feel that having the connecting door affected the space/layout in our cabin.

Does anyone know of a cheap and easy way to get to the port from penn station-- im coming from Long island and figured the Long island Rail road would be the best way to get to the city but now i need to get from city to cape liberty. Thanks!!

Does anyone know of a cheap and easy way to get to the port from penn station-- im coming from Long island and figured the Long island Rail road would be the best way to get to the city but now i need to get from city to cape liberty. Thanks!!

I know a lot of people who take the path to Penn station everyday for work, from JC which is the same line, and I know there is a station close to the port, across the street, but not that close to walk all the way in with luggage, although I suppose some have done it.

Try this

Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved! (multipage.gif1 2 3 ... Last Page)

there is no cheap and easy way from NYPenn....

take NJTransit to Newark penn and get a cab.....about $45 bucks give or take...

OR get a car service from NYC...

Public transit can be a PITA with luggage....pop over to the East coast thread posted there...I know that my pal 138east did mass transit from someplace along the LIRR or Metro North so she probably knows.....

Yes I did public transit to Cape Liberty from Larchmont NY via MetroNorth, subway, Path, light rail, and cab. If you can roll your luggage it should be much easier from the LIRR.

The LIRR arrives on the 7th Ave side of Penn Station, so it is only one avenue over to Path at 33rd & 6th. This is the piece of it that I can't advise you on - perhaps one of the New Yorkers can give you more specific details. It's definitely walkable. I do know that there is a handicapped entrance (i.e.elevator) to the subway and Path at the Herald Square building. Once down in the concourse you can buy your Path tickets and enter via a nice wide handicapped turnstile with your luggage. You take the train to Hoboken. At Hoboken you take the elevator up to the street and walk south along the end of the train tracks to the light rail. You buy tickets from the machine, validate them, wait for the Bayonne train, and walk on. You go to 34th station and call a cab. Total cost would be $2 for Path, $2.10 for the light rail, and $10 for the cab. If I ever do this again, I would take a cab from Grand Central to 33rd St. The NY subway was not luggage friendly. Path and the light rail were very easy with luggage and totally uncrowded at 9:30 am on a Monday morning.

coming from ri and east...park in New Haven and metro north it to Grand central, than bus or cab to Bayonne terminal, there is a company (the name escapes me) that will pick you up and take you to the terminal for something like 15$-25$...