All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Thanks Leslie for the great news that Troy will be on the Explorer in April, we are leaving on the 26th. It would've been great if Matt Yee was still going to be the piano player for our cruise and Troy was working the schooner bar but that would be to much to ask, it looks as though Matt Yee departs as we get on. If its possible would you be able to find out what bar Troy will be at for our cruise, I know sometimes they work the shows so we make sure we see him and ask how Matt's shows were and say hi.

Smell report...........

Just off Explorer today.

Day 1 muster drill, deck 4... Port Side Life boat station #24 & #26. Like being at a sewage plant or dump on a hot sunny day at a 110 degrees.

Almost unbearable.......Passengers all holding their noses with their hands:eek:......Crew must have been told to never put your hand up to your nose to display you are really smelling something awful.:eek: It was actually funny seeing the crew act like everything was normal, I think that was what kept us from getting sick right then and there.:(

That was the only time in the 11 days onboard we smelled anything but to be honest we did not go down to deck 4 again at anytime to see if that smell was still there. It 'WAS That BAD !

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

Smell report...........

Just off Explorer today.

Day 1 muster drill, deck 4... Port Side Life boat station #24 & #26. Like being at a sewage plant or dump on a hot sunny day at a 110 degrees.

Almost unbearable.......Passengers all holding their noses with their hands:eek:......Crew must have been told to never put your hand up to your nose to display you are really smelling something awful.:eek: It was actually funny seeing the crew act like everything was normal, I think that was what kept us from getting sick right then and there.:(

That was the only time in the 11 days onboard we smelled anything but to be honest we did not go down to deck 4 again at anytime to see if that smell was still there. It 'WAS That BAD !

yuck....however could that have been residual bunkering stench? (not arguing, just curious..) the barge ties up on the port side and that oil/fuels stuff STINKS.....:confused:

yuck....however could that have been residual bunkering stench? (not arguing, just curious..) the barge ties up on the port side and that oil/fuels stuff STINKS.....:confused:

This was not fuel, would have loved it it was fuel. This was at 4pm when we were mustering. Refueling the ship would have been done well before that.

Today when we were getting off the ship at 9:45am they had just said over the PA system not to smoke on the port side because they were refueling.

So I assume that would happen the same time of morning when they refuel in Bayonne, So I would assume it wasn't that.

Edited by Jimbo

This was not fuel, would have loved it it was fuel. This was at 4pm when we were mustering. Refueling the ship would have been done well before that.

Today when we were getting off the ship at 9:45am they had just said over the PA system not to smoke on the port side because they were refueling.

So I assume that would happen the same time of morning when they refuel in Bayonne, So I would assume it wasn't that.

this is true..they're usually done....so in that case....

Peee-ewwwwww......

Smell report...........

Just off Explorer today.

thats awful, I read on another thread that they have fixed the problem. Thank goodness you didn't smell it throughout the cruise. How could they just act like its normal. I am sure RCCL gets lots of complaints about it, when are they gonna fix it!

Not to insult anyone, but if the odor seems to be in port, might it be "Eau de Jersey" and not from the ship at all?

This is an attempt at humor folks. BUT I have been on Explorer on 3 different occasions and have NEVER noticed an odor of sewerage. NOW, with that said, I do imagine there can be odoriferous situations on any ship, especially, when folks decide to flush other than waste or ship supplied paper down the toilets thus causing a clog that affects many cabins. I do apologize for any offense I may have committed.

Smell report...........

Just off Explorer today.

Before we left it was really bad at the back of the ship on decks 3, 4 and even part way into the promenade. We were talking to the Art Director on deck 3 and I thought the same thing, that he must have been told to pretend it wasn't there. However, I will say that once we left port I never smelled it again, our cabin was aft on deck 2 so we were up and down those stairs many times a day. So maybe it was just because of having to empty the tanks while in port???

We will be on the Explorer in a week. Last year we had suite 1556, loved it. This year we have 1568, I noticed acrossed the hall is blank, no rooms, cant remember what there? Is it a work closet?

Also, has anyone stayed in this cabin? I noticed its under the pool, is that an issue as far as noise?

Thanks...can't wait either way...just saying!;)

Doing the 8 night to the Bahamas/Cape Canaveral, leaving March 30. We are going to celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary- 13 of us going! I have a few questions-

--Has anyone done this itinerary at this time of year? How's the weather? Water temps?

--I have 2 kids- 12 and 15 (boy and girl) who are pretty shy and probably won't do the teen programs unless they can be together. Does anyone know if those ages are together or separated?

--Does anyone have any suggestions for the day trips?

--What are some must-do's on the ship? Does anyone have copies of the Cruise Compass for this itinerary?

Thanks!!!:)

Doing the 8 night to the Bahamas/Cape Canaveral' date=' leaving March 30. We are going to celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary- 13 of us going! I have a few questions-

--Has anyone done this itinerary at this time of year? How's the weather? Water temps?

--I have 2 kids- 12 and 15 (boy and girl) who are pretty shy and probably won't do the teen programs unless they can be together. Does anyone know if those ages are together or separated?

--Does anyone have any suggestions for the day trips?

--What are some must-do's on the ship? Does anyone have copies of the Cruise Compass for this itinerary?

Thanks!!!:)[/quote']

You should join the roll call for this sailing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1423566&page=18

and the meet and mingle... I have an 11 & 15 yr as well (daughters)

Based on the RCCL website, they have activities for 12-14 in one group and 15-17 in another.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_kids_teens_and_families

I'm excited that I've finally figured out how to post pictures and to celebrate this new skill, wanted to share my favorite picture of the Explorer in Labadee last month.

dockedatLabadee.jpg

and here is one of our fine young captain.

OurCaptain.jpg

Edited by Mom.to.2

We will be on the explorer in 3 weeks!!! Yay! :D. Anyway, my question is does the explorer offer water aerobics? I was reading a review of the Liberty and I noticed on the compass that the Liberty has water aerobics. my MIL will be with us on this trip and she would be very happy if they have water aerobics on the explorer.

Thanks,

Loralie

I'm excited that I've finally figured out how to post pictures and to celebrate this new skill, wanted to share my favorite picture of the Explorer in Labadee last month.

dockedatLabadee.jpg

OurCaptain.jpg

Your picture of Explorer in Labadee is beautiful. I hope you don't mind but I saved it & now it's my phone's wallpaper. Counting down to my 1st cruise on her.

dockedatLabadee.jpg

OurCaptain.jpg

OMG!!:) I really hope this captain is NOT on vacation when we sail the Explorer in June. Nice, nice, nice... Oh yeah, the ship pic is great too!

It could also just be possible that the ship's crew has gotten use to any smells so it doesn't bother them; therefore they don't really have to pretend it's not there. I work with oral surgery and cleaning our tanks out at the end of the day is probably the worst part and the head surgical assistant says she can't smell a thing when she does it. People just get use to an odor if they have to deal with it a lot.

Anyway, we were on the Feb 27th sailing and didn't smell anything; my husband and I went all over the ship!

We will be on the explorer in 3 weeks!!! Yay! :D. Anyway, my question is does the explorer offer water aerobics? I was reading a review of the Liberty and I noticed on the compass that the Liberty has water aerobics. my MIL will be with us on this trip and she would be very happy if they have water aerobics on the explorer.

Thanks,

Loralie

I don't recall seeing water aerobics in the compass. It's possible I missed it.

Your picture of Explorer in Labadee is beautiful. I hope you don't mind but I saved it & now it's my phone's wallpaper. Counting down to my 1st cruise on her.

Thanks! Congrats to you on your first cruise...I predict you're going to fall in love ;)

OMG!!:) I really hope this captain is NOT on vacation when we sail the Explorer in June. Nice, nice, nice... Oh yeah, the ship pic is great too!

Captain Henrik is certainly easy on the eyes :D

dockedatLabadee.jpg

OurCaptain.jpg

What a great picture of EOS in Labadee! Haven't been there since the dock was finished. Will finally see it in July. Can't wait!

Quick question regarding Diamond lounge on EOS. We are sailing her as diamond members this July. Other than the CL, is there another place for Diamonds to go for some drinks pre-dinner?

Apologize if this is answered elsewhere....just didn't see it when reviewing the multiple pages of this thread.

Thanks! :D