All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I was looking at some deck plans & had a question about the Island Grill. Is this just an extension of the Windjammer with the same food? Is there any difference in the offerings or advantages of sitting in 1 place or the other?

The Windjammer was always so crowded on our Liberty cruise, I think we only did lunch on embarkation day & 1 other breakfast. Found the breakfast in the MDR was great & much less crowded. Just wondering how the Windjammer will be on Explorer.

NO, Adult only

Hi Dick,

I just wanted to let you know the Explorer cruise that you canceled (9/23/12)

has a great senior rate. Linda and I each had a JS that we booked on the cruise last September. There is a senior rate for balconies so we both downgraded to D1 aft cabins next to each other on deck 10, and saved $1100.

It would be great to see you on a reunion cruise. Say hi to Mari.

I was looking at some deck plans & had a question about the Island Grill. Is this just an extension of the Windjammer with the same food? Is there any difference in the offerings or advantages of sitting in 1 place or the other?

The Windjammer was always so crowded on our Liberty cruise, I think we only did lunch on embarkation day & 1 other breakfast. Found the breakfast in the MDR was great & much less crowded. Just wondering how the Windjammer will be on Explorer.

Island Grill is just a section of the WJ. I'm not sure why they distinguish on the floor plan--it's not a separate area or anything.

Island Grill is just a section of the WJ. I'm not sure why they distinguish on the floor plan--it's not a separate area or anything.

if I remember right, I don't think they make fresh omelettes in the Windjammer but they do in the back section that they call the Island Grill. I'm with you, I don't know why they call it something different.....it's all one room. The oriental area is back there as well.

I never understood why people replied the way they do in these threads when I first signed up but it has really become clear. For a clear and simple way of understanding things...18+ equals adult, while 17 and below does not. Why must half the people posting questions seem to want exceptions made for their kids? If something is described as an adult activity it means just that.

just asking a question, no need to be so snippy about it! :confused:

In my family kids are always invited to parties and family functions. My kids are well mannered and enjoy hanging out with the adults. I would not expect him to hang out with us every night but I thought if once or twice during the 10 days would be fine. A simple no would have been fine and I will follow the rules.

I will be on my cruise on the 12th and nothing is going to get me down!!! :cool:

Loralie

Does anyone have a link or copies of the Cruise Compass's for a 7 day Bermuda cruise on the Explorer. I have seen a couple of links for the 9 day cruises to the Caribbean but no Bermuda links.

Cruising to Bermuda on October 14th.

My wife and I are taking the Explorer to Bermuda on October 14th. We have taken cruises on the Mariner, Voyager, and Adventure. Other than the Art decor are there any differences on the Explorer?

I believe the newer version of Voyager-class ships have balconies built outside of the ship's superstructure, whereas Explorer has them built into the superstructure. We loved our balcony nonetheless!

Does anyone have a link or copies of the Cruise Compass's for a 7 day Bermuda cruise on the Explorer. I have seen a couple of links for the 9 day cruises to the Caribbean but no Bermuda links.

Cruising to Bermuda on October 14th.

There are no 7 day compass's as this is the first year doing 7 day.

Come join the roll call 10/14/12 - 7 night Bermuda Cruise - Get the party started (multipage.gif1 2 3

There are no 7 day compass's as this is the first year doing 7 day.

Come join the roll call 10/14/12 - 7 night Bermuda Cruise - Get the party started (multipage.gif1 2 3

We did a seven-night Bahames cruise over New Year's this past year. I can't find the compasses, but they were, for the most part, similar to the activities for the nine- and ten-nighters. Cruising out of NJ in December required more indoor activities, e.g., Sexy Legs was held in the promenade, at the beginning and end, but most of the stuff was the same. I think if you look at a Caribbean compass you should have a good idea of what to expect.

if I remember right, I don't think they make fresh omelettes in the Windjammer but they do in the back section that they call the Island Grill. I'm with you, I don't know why they call it something different.....it's all one room. The oriental area is back there as well.

There are different areas with some different types of food selection, but other than that it is all the WJ. Before you sit down with your plate, check out the back areas of the WJ which tend to have some food items not found in the front sections.

MARAPRINCE

One week and a day and we are outta Brooklyn, heading to Jersey, boarding Expplorer and heading to BERMUDA!!!!! EXCITED!!!

Anyone familiar with cabin 3610? That's what I have booked for myself, hubby and our two sequels aged 10 and 7.

Adventure Ocean a sure bet for kids entertainment?

Recommendations regarding sightseeing in Bermuda? We were thinking BAMZ, a cave (which one?) and a fort (which one?)... any info provided is greatly appreciated!

BKNYChick,

When you return from your 7 night Bermuda will you please answer a few questions for me? We are going September 9th and taking first time cruisers with us and I am not sure if they will have 2 different ice shows? We just did an 11 night Caribbean cruise and at the beginning we saw Blades which was very good and toward the end of the cruise we seen Spirits of the seasons which was amazing! I'm hoping that they show both on the 7 night. Also, if you are able to find out if Richard Spacey is still going to be the Cruise Director on the Explorer in September and if he isn't who is scheduled to take his place. He is by far the best and most entertaining Cruise Director we have had on any cruise. Have fun on your cruise

Edited by bren61

BKNYChick,

When you return from your 7 night Bermuda will you please answer a few questions for me? We are going September 9th and taking first time cruisers with us and I am not sure if they will have 2 different ice shows? We just did an 11 night Caribbean cruise and at the beginning we saw Blades which was very good and toward the end of the cruise we seen Spirits of the seasons which was amazing! I'm hoping that they show both on the 7 night. Also, if you are able to find out if Richard Spacey is still going to be the Cruise Director on the Explorer in September and if he isn't who is scheduled to take his place. He is by far the best and most entertaining Cruise Director we have had on any cruise. Have fun on your cruise

Join our roll call for the 9/9 cruise to Bermuda:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496561

Also sign up for the Meet and Mingle.:)

just asking a question, no need to be so snippy about it! :confused:

In my family kids are always invited to parties and family functions. My kids are well mannered and enjoy hanging out with the adults. I would not expect him to hang out with us every night but I thought if once or twice during the 10 days would be fine. A simple no would have been fine and I will follow the rules.

I will be on my cruise on the 12th and nothing is going to get me down!!! :cool:

Loralie

Loralie, On past 7 night cruises they offer a family disco night in one of the clubs. I cannot remember which ships offered it but it was alot of fun and our kids got a big kick out of us dancing to their music and vise versa! Enjoy your cruise and kick up your heels!

BKNYChick,

We were on the 7 day New year's Cruise, and there was only one ice show, Spirits of the Seasons. Blades was not performed.

Richard Spacey is supposed to be on EX until June 7, then he is taking a two month break. Jimmy Rhodes is supposed to be covering Richard's break. Then, Richard is supposed to be returning.

We were on the 7 day New year's Cruise, and there was only one ice show, Spirits of the Seasons. Blades was not performed.

Richard Spacey is supposed to be on EX until June 7, then he is taking a two month break. Jimmy Rhodes is supposed to be covering Richard's break. Then, Richard is supposed to be returning.[/qu

Thanks for the update, hopefully things don't change between now and when we cruise on Sept 9th.

Loralie, On past 7 night cruises they offer a family disco night in one of the clubs. I cannot remember which ships offered it but it was alot of fun and our kids got a big kick out of us dancing to their music and vise versa! Enjoy your cruise and kick up your heels!

Thanks so much for the info Jeresygirl! I would love a family disco night, sounds like my kind of fun! :)

one week from today I will FINALLY be on the Explorer!!!!

Loralie

I had read on another thread that there are flavored waters to drink in the Windjammer. Is this true on the Explorer or is it just on the Oasis class? Also, are they sweet or diet and are they just still or sparkling? Thanks.