All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Oh also I did want to reply to the question about removing food from the ship.... Yes they do say you cannot take food with you, but we broke the rule at every port. What we did was take a bunch of zip lock bags in our luggage (I'm not cheap, but we had a couple of excursions that did not provide time to dine and ran past lunch hour). So we went to the wind jammer the night before, grabbed a plate of sandwiches fruit or bagels and took them back to the room and just stuffed them in our beach bags as security does not inspect your bags coming off the ship.

Just a helpful tip!

Also for sneaking booze on, I'm not going to say I did this, which I may have, but we bought 4 bottles of rum at the bacardi factory and hid one under towels in our beach bag. Security saw we had bottles and directed us to the booze check in station where we conviniently only gave them 3 bottles, thus leaving one to take back to the room :D

When I was in Bermuda, they were checking all bags, including beach bags, when leaving the ship for food. In the morning I was going to the dockyard to shop with just my purse, and they even checked that.

When I was in Bermuda, they were checking all bags, including beach bags, when leaving the ship for food. In the morning I was going to the dockyard to shop with just my purse, and they even checked that.

Really??? They checked your bags getting off the ship??? I never heard of that.......is that something new that they're doing? I've been on a lot of cruises and never saw anyone check bags on the way off a ship! LOL

I'm guilty of taking food off the ship in the past too. Sometimes we'll take a few hard rolls or a box of cereal so we can feed the fish when we're going snorkeling.........LOL

Really??? They checked your bags getting off the ship??? I never heard of that.......is that something new that they're doing? I've been on a lot of cruises and never saw anyone check bags on the way off a ship! LOL

I'm guilty of taking food off the ship in the past too. Sometimes we'll take a few hard rolls or a box of cereal so we can feed the fish when we're going snorkeling.........LOL

I had a bag of candy and a couple of cookies. They didn't say anything about them.

I think they are concerned with fruits and any kind of meats/sandwiches.

They were taking them from the passengers. I guess every port is different. I was on two cruises to Bermuda and they were checking both times.

I had a bag of candy and a couple of cookies. They didn't say anything about them.

I think they are concerned with fruits and any kind of meats/sandwiches.

They were taking them from the passengers. I guess every port is different. I was on two cruises to Bermuda and they were checking both times.

Were your Bermuda cruises on Royal?? We went to Bermuda last May and no one checked our bags going off or back on the ship! We just had to put our beachbags thru the xray machine like at all the other islands.

Oh also I did want to reply to the question about removing food from the ship.... Yes they do say you cannot take food with you, but we broke the rule at every port.

And if caught in some ports, you will go to prison or get a large fine.

Were your Bermuda cruises on Royal?? We went to Bermuda last May and no one checked our bags going off or back on the ship! We just had to put our beachbags thru the xray machine like at all the other islands.

I was on the Explorer both times. September 2010 and September 2011.

I was there for two days on both cruises. They were there for both days, checking going off the ship and getting back on. It wasn't RCI Security checking going off the ship, there were people from Bermuda sitting at a table after you got off. Going back on it was RCI security checking with the xray.

I was on the Explorer both times. September 2010 and September 2011.

I was there for two days on both cruises. They were there for both days, checking going off the ship and getting back on. It wasn't RCI Security checking going off the ship, there were people from Bermuda sitting at a table after you got off. Going back on it was RCI security checking with the xray.

Wow, we were there 2 full days as well last May before going on to the Bahamas and there was no one checking. Very strange, but stange things happen! LOL

Patty

Just returned from a January 6 cruise on the Explorer. During that cruise, Captain Nysetter celebrated his 50 year anniversary with RCL. That should put him in his low 70's, but he looked great. Very personable with a high presence throughout the passengers. The Navigator of the Seas is captained by his son, so it was fun to meet the Navigator at some of our ports and see the two ships side by side.

Traveled with S, DIL, and two grandkids age 6 and 13. The six year old absolutely loved Adventure Ocean and begged to stay later at night. The staff at AO all use different names such as Peter Pan, Sunshine, Jalopenia (sp), etc. The staff and program is fantastic.

No smell on the 8th floor where our cabin was, but at the Captain's briefing, someone on Deck 10 complained about the smell.

A four time heart bypass passenger passed away during a twist competition on 60's and 70's nite, so there were plenty of questions about that during the briefing too. Someone actually thought they had the funeral on board. Some of the questions were amazing....

Nancy

Edited by Yankee Doodle
spelling

Just returned from a January 6 cruise on the Explorer. During that cruise, Captain Nysetter celebrated his 50 year anniversary with RCL. That should put him in his low 70's, but he looked great. Very personable with a high presence throughout the passengers. The Navigator of the Seas is captained by his son, so it was fun to meet the Navigator at some of our ports and see the two ships side by side.

Traveled with S, DIL, and two grandkids age 6 and 13. The six year old absolutely loved Adventure Ocean and begged to stay later at night. The staff at AO all use different names such as Peter Pan, Sunshine, Jalopenia (sp), etc. The staff and program is fantastic.

No smell on the 8th floor where our cabin was, but at the Captain's briefing, someone on Deck 10 complained about the smell.

A four time heart bypass passenger passed away during a twist competition on 60's and 70's nite, so there were plenty of questions about that during the briefing too. Someone actually thought they had the funeral on board. Some of the questions were amazing....

Nancy

We were there when he passed. Poor guy was just sitting there in the front row when he was dragged up to partner with a lady that won but was dancing by herself. You should have seen him move. Never heard that he was a bypass patient though. Very sad

Are all the beds in the balcony rooms near the the balcony? I was wondering if it was like the Oasis where some are near the closet while others are by the balcony.

in the balcony rooms we stayed in, the beds were near the balcony

yes

https://picasaweb.google.com/111807794425429187458/ExplorerAugust2011

from about 3 weeks ago

and from last september...

https://picasaweb.google.com/111807794425429187458/ExplorerOfTheSeasSept112010

she still looks pretty darned good!!! i was able to visit the ship a few weeks ago.....and the others are from a 5 night bermuda last september....and i will be heading out on EX in about 80 days...

Loved the pictures! We're off on our first cruise ever on the EOS in 16 days.... so excited!:D

Hi, My family were on the Explorer in March of 2011. We had a waiter, on dining level 3, named Jayesh. I am pretty sure that is the spelling of his first name. He would announce dessert time as " yummy yummy time" and would make cute duck noises on the nights there was duck on the menu. He was also a supervisor during breakfast in the wind jammer. He would be all decked out in his white supervisor outfit. Does anyone have a last name for him? He said he had facebook and we would really like to find him. The kids loved their dining experience largly thanks to him.

Nancy

Wow! Back in November when we were on Explorer, a man also died during the twist competition!!! :eek:

I would love to hear recommendations or experiences with kids and adventure ocean on the Explorer. We are leaving on the 8 night 3/30 and I have two daughters (15yr and 11yr). When we cruised on the Grandeur several years ago the girls were in the same AO location and I couldn't get them to leave. They LOVED it.. and I had plenty of time to enjoy adult activities. However this past summer we sailed on the Carnival Glory, and our younger daughter was without her sister in the kids club and HATED IT (thus was with me and crabby most times). I expected lots of kids there because it was a NYC summer sailing, but most kids were running around the ship instead of in the club, and my daughter said she was treated like a baby by the counselors, especially at night.

So long story short, does anyone have any positive experiences I can share with her about AO on the Explorer for her age? Do kids that age enjoy the water slide? Are there evening activities that kids want to be at? I see from many posts that this is a very kid oriented ship, and this sailing will be packed with them (Easter week)...

Any samples of their kids program schedule would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by jaadance30

Are all the beds in the balcony rooms near the the balcony? I was wondering if it was like the Oasis where some are near the closet while others are by the balcony.

When we stayed in a Jr. suite the bed was by the closet. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Loved the pictures! We're off on our first cruise ever on the EOS in 16 days.... so excited!:D

Yes - as Karen and Jay said please join us on the roll call and register for the M&M. We have an active group and lots of activities planned.