All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Just wondering if it is easy to have all the minibar items removed right from the start? We never use any of the stuff and don't want it in the way or charged for. I guess we can check our account on the tv?

We tried that and were told that the minibar is not serviced by our room attendant. They basically said that we could remove the items but had to leave them in sight as someone would be in everyday to refill any missing items. We stacked the items up neatly on the shelves at the end of the vanity and used the fridge/cooler for the sodas and waters we brought.

Greg

We tried that and were told that the minibar is not serviced by our room attendant. They basically said that we could remove the items but had to leave them in sight as someone would be in everyday to refill any missing items. We stacked the items up neatly on the shelves at the end of the vanity and used the fridge/cooler for the sodas and waters we brought.

Greg

Thanks. About how much do they put in? I assume they leave a bottle of water as well. I just never use and don't want to be charged for any of the stuff. :) And can we check our account on the TV? Thanks again.

... how much do they put in? I assume they leave a bottle of water as well. I just never use and don't want to be charged for any of the stuff. :) And can we check our account on the TV?

We asked our friendly stateroom attendant to do that and she kindly explained the same - as it's beyond her scope of duties, that bar services will check daily, restock & billed for items taken (missing/cannot be seen) - to leave them in plain sights, LOL. The problem is that the mini-bar frigerator at 1 cu.ft. capacity with 2 shelves is nearly full, there's enough room left for 2 16 to 20 oz. water bottle/sports drink, etc.

Plus, there's 4 Evian (1 liter) bottled water on the dresser/desk that we could've had shoveled into the back of the small 22" HDTV screen's slide out space, but if they don't see it, they will charge us for using it, and we left it alone - hell, our traveling friends in another cabin didn't look/check & mistaken it for being comp'd - opened 4 Evians in 2 days before discovering, ended up paying $9 USD per 1 liter bottle used ... yikes!

Looking back, had we took an extra clear plastic bag, big & strong enough, we would've "yank" everything inside the mini plus "dump" those Evians into the clear plastic bag and hang it up somewhere in their "face" so that we can have 100% use of that tiny refrigerator. By NOT removing them, RCL is making it tempting for anyone to "raid" it 24/7 and pay a premium price for it.

Perhaps the next EOS cruiser - after reading these posts - wanted to call up Reception/Bar Services & have them send someone to the cabin and remove the items, and note it as such & not restock it. Wait a minute, so someone else - aside from the statement attendant (butlers, etc. assigned to the suites) has easy access to the staterooms while we are away, checking mini-bar inventories ... ain't right & I smell a stink.

All of the in-cabin TV's supposed to have an interactive menu, accessed via the remote control to scroll around - and you can look up your OnBoard SeaPass account individually as often as you wanted to, and if you see an error, dispute & ask for a resolution ASAP - the line at the Reception Desk on the last sea day was LONG ...

Edited by mking8288

On both Explorer and Enchantment we have asked the Room Steward to ask the bar staff to take care of the mini-bar items. On EX they took all but the water, which we placed in one of the side cabinets with a prominent Post-It note saying they were there. On EN we placed everything in the cabinet with the same note. (Note: the items were NOT in the fridge in EN, they were on the desk)

We were in 1568 so it was close. Loved location, no problem with anything. Enjoy your GS, we love it. Also in 1554 another great trip, anyway you look at it your in the GS you are going to love it!;)

We Booked 1568 for our next cruise. This will be a first for us. I've been told to switch to 1324 but location is no big deal for us. I just wonder about the noise from above.

We Booked 1568 for our next cruise. This will be a first for us. I've been told to switch to 1324 but location is no big deal for us. I just wonder about the noise from above.

I think that cabin is below one of the hot tubs in Solarium area...which could run 24/7. I think 1324 is on the hump and nothing majorly noisy above it.

We never heard any noise from above. In fact it seem like we never even heard the people on either side. You will love this location. Plus we love the front of the ship. Have a great trip, and if they have the mystery dinner try it, it is alot of fun.;)

With regards to using the mini frig in your room....since they are really not that cold anyway, this is our solution. We went to Dollar General and bought a round collapsible cooler for around 10 bucks that will easily hold a 12 pack of soda plus bottles of water. We have the soda and water in our carry on and then we ask our room steward to keep it filled with ice for us for the duration of the cruise.

We never heard any noise from above. In fact it seem like we never even heard the people on either side. You will love this location. Plus we love the front of the ship. Have a great trip, and if they have the mystery dinner try it, it is alot of fun.;)

Thanks, then room 1568 it shall stay!! When my husband cooks, it's a mystery dinner:cool:. First it's a mystery why he is cooking and second, wonder what ingredients he yanked that I may need for other meals. Kidding, we love each other. He worships the quicksand I walk on:).

Hi. Is there any access to an iron onboard?

Nope! Irons and steamers aren't allowed. RCCL does offer same/next day laundry service if needed. I've found a steamy bathroom and some dewrinkle spray can take care of most issues.

Happy cruising!

not sure where on this board it has been discussed so let me ask again ..

I have Verizon cell phone plan. I understand the calling from ship is $2.49/minute.

What I am confused to is the texting and data costs...

verison says it 's 50 cents to send text on ship and 5 cents to recieve one but does that require any of the ship's internet service that they charge for?

ALso- verizon has a global data plan shown on the same web page for the ship service at $25/100mb but again does that still need to have ship's interenet service to use?

not sure where on this board it has been discussed so let me ask again ..

I have Verizon cell phone plan. I understand the calling from ship is $2.49/minute.

What I am confused to is the texting and data costs...

verison says it 's 50 cents to send text on ship and 5 cents to recieve one but does that require any of the ship's internet service that they charge for?

ALso- verizon has a global data plan shown on the same web page for the ship service at $25/100mb but again does that still need to have ship's interenet service to use?

No internet service needed for texting. If you have a signal the 50/5 is all.

You likely will not have vzw service so you will hit the ships tower. i have verizon..phone gets shut off as soon as i lose service...and gets turned on when we get back...unless we go to san juan...then i will use it

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

thanks.... any idea about the data question?

We had been on EOS recently (Cape Liberty to Bermuda) and was on land's tower (VZW's "home" system) until about 7 pm (sailaway was 4 p.m. - passed SI's VZ Bridge around 4:30 pm but sailing closed enough along NJ's shores for 2+ hours) - cellular signals do get bounced and traveled amazing distance over water as it get reflected, especially lower frequencies)

When RCL turned out the ship's satellite tower, cellular devices including VZW phones switched to roaming (typically, an alert msg or SMS will be displayed thus the triangle symbol, depending on the device) - "Welcome to VZW Cruise Services, calls received/send are 50 cents per minute, TXT send are 50 cents each and 5 cents received; video msg (MMS) and web use, tethering and APPS while roaming use data at $20.48 per MB - turn off data or switch to WiFi ** to avoid charges.

Depending on your specific phone, you can switch off ALL data including roaming - since the ship's WiFi signal required setup & activation, and is neither free or open/unsecured, at rates varying from 40 cents per minute to 75 cents per minute, depending on the bundled minutues plan or package you signed up for (plus, a one-time $3.95 setup fee per account for the duration of the cruise) If you are logged into the ship's internet (which is slow, at 2G or GPRS speed / above "old" dial-up due to its limited bandwidth) - you will continued to be charged until manually logged off or signed out (the "meter" continued to run continously until your allowance is depleted)

Roaming mobile data, via VZW Cruise Ship Services on the ship, or broadband internet/data vis EOS's WiFi, are expensive - unless you must be "connected" around the clock while cruising, put the phone into airplane mode or at least turn off all data (WiFi is irrelevant as you need a secured log-in account) - stick with voice calls or SMS for those urgent/emergency/business/priority/must get-through calls from whoever, whenever & whatever ... - it's still cheaper than marine telephone call via the operator billed to caller's credit card at much higher rate.

Depending on your ports of call, you should call VZW at 611 and re-confirm that international or global roaming for calls is activated or not blocked on your mobile number(s) - there is a toll-free VZW global support/customer service # to call from abroad if necessary. Lastly, update your phone's PRL or roaming lists OTA before your leave while still on "home" VZW system. VZW's global plans & options changed often so I would verify directly with them the most up-to-date options, pricing before enrolling - it usually can be pro-rated as add-ons and discontinued after your cruise.

Leaving mobile/smartphone/iphone/tablets with 3G options enabled continuously will run up very, very high charges in just a few days, into the hundreds if not thousands of dollors in roaming data charges - those 4G LTE are worst as they are data hogs. Battery also drained much faster on the ship as it is roaming so it needs frequent charging.

mking8288 thanks for the info... you have confirmed what i understood it to be as this is my first cruise that i have had a "smart phone". I know about using the ship's slooooow and co$$tly wireless services.

So the summary is that i can use my cell phone to send text messages (50 cents) recieve (5 cents) on board or make calls at $2.99/minute. :eek:

I will be using text messages to locate the others in our party if we get totally separated..

I will shut off the data delivery options while on board. I have already added international calling option on the phone(s). I will buy the $25 Global Data plan for 100MB of data from Verizon and turn on the phone on shores. That way i can retrieve my emails and send emails as well. Still better that using the ship's internet. If i can get a free-wireless connection on shore at a bar or such,so much the better.

Sound about right???

jef

mking8288 thanks for the info... you have confirmed what i understood it to be as this is my first cruise that i have had a "smart phone". I know about using the ship's slooooow and co$$tly wireless services.

So the summary is that i can use my cell phone to send text messages (50 cents) recieve (5 cents) on board or make calls at $2.99/minute. :eek:

... using text messages to locate the others in our party if we get totally separated... shut off the data delivery options while on board... added international calling option on the phone(s). I will buy the $25 Global Data plan for 100MB of data from Verizon and turn on the phone on shores. That way i can retrieve my emails and send emails as well. Still better that using the ship's internet. If i can get a free-wireless connection on shore at a bar or such,so much the better.

Sound about right???

jef

Well, pretty close to it - you got the ideas, pretty much - plan & use it with care and you should be fine, get comfortable with how your particular smartphone worked & what "background" apps are running silently so that it can be disabled. Email apps, Twitter & FB, etc. are data hogs ...

It seemed VZW just recently lowered their voice calling rates again, it's now down to $1.99 /min. instead of $2.49/min - they cannot make any money at all if most users refused to use it & locked up the phone inside the stateroom's mini-safe, LOL. Here's a link to the web page -

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

Global Data is apparently covered while cruising on the ship, relayed via the (MTN) satellite provider's signal tower - while roaming voice calls on the same device is billed at $1.99/min and 50 cents/5 cents for SMS ...

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/technology/cdma.html

CDMA or GSM mobile voice calling rates for VZW in Bermuda is now (only) $1.49 /min. - apparently lowered - SMS at 25 cents send & 20 cents received on the island. You can check on other Caribbean islands for coverage & rates, depending on your EOS itinerary ...

I wouldn't count on having free WiFi access on those non-US ports or places visited by cruise ships (except for San Juan, PR or US Virgin Islands) but you might be able to find inexpensive, lowered costs internet access. At the Royal Dockyard in Bermuda, where mega cruise ships are docking these days - low cost WiFi access can be purchased for unlimited 1 day or 3 day access, etc. 4G LTE coverage (if any & as such) are NOT covered and on a pay-per-use for mobile data.

Several years ago, it was a bit more challenging to get CDMA coverage but it's more universal now, but GSM is still preferred - when we travel, I usually switch over to a global phone or stay with GSM using an oversea Sim card.

I always cautioned travelers using "unknown" free of fee-for-service WiFi hotspots to guard their data usage & account info - it's so "easy" to scroll the iPad or Droid devices to download & upload everything, including one's account data - keep in mind these are open, public access & breaches in security can & do happen ...

Ship's internet is slow & sluggish at 2G speed, but it's there - just consider it emergency coverage in case of urgent or crisis communications with its known limitations in the open ocean & random drop in coverage due to satellite's orbits (known as expanded C-band coverage with 15 beams)

Happy cruising ...

Global Data is apparently covered while cruising on the ship, relayed via the (MTN) satellite provider's signal tower - while roaming voice calls on the same device is billed at $1.99/min and 50 cents/5 cents for SMS ...

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/technology/cdma.html

Are you saying that I won't need the ship's wireless internet service to get my data directly to my phone using Global Data plan? I didn't see anything like that on the page(s) you referrenced?

Are you saying that I won't need the ship's wireless internet service to get my data directly to my phone using Global Data plan? I didn't see anything like that on the page(s) you referrenced?

You don't turn on your internet to use your cell phone at home or on the ship

Its done with "relayed via the (MTN) satellite provider's signal tower ". If you have a signal you are good to go, just like at home.

Correct, as long as you have global data roaming enabled then you will be able to check email via the ship's "cellular" service. The question is how much is that data going to cost you. Without any plan it will be pay-as-you-go for $20.48/MB which is ridiculous. If you enable the $25/100MB plan then you should be all set (I used my phone for 13 days on a cruise with alot of emails and only used about 30MB). If you go over you'll get another 100MB for $25. If you're phone is billed on a corporate plan then you may still able to upgrade to a GlobalEmail plan which would give you unlimited data on a prorated basis but they've made it more and more difficult to get this plan enabled, nearly impossible on an individual plan especially if your phone is not a true "global" phone.

Good luck,

Greg