All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Hi everyone, great to see so much love for Explorer. We're from the UK and looking at doing Explorer next year. Just wondering how close teh statue of Liberty/ Manhattan skyline is when you sail and if so on what side. Thanks

You will need binoculars. Here is a pic using a zoom lens taken from the ship while docked at Bayonne:

NYHarbor0797-5.jpg?t=1310040640

I have a lot of pix from our EOS cruise, link in my signature.

Hi everyone, great to see so much love for Explorer. We're from the UK and looking at doing Explorer next year. Just wondering how close teh statue of Liberty/ Manhattan skyline is when you sail and if so on what side. Thanks

It will be on the port side...a couple miles away....very small....visible to the naked eye....but you may barely notice lady liberty....

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Thanks very much, just wondering whether it was going to be worth getting a cabin on that side!! Other question is have the new menus been rolled out on Explorer yet, or when they will

Do not know about menus, I really never concerned myself about the food. There has always been plenty of it and most of it is pretty good.

As for getting a cabin on that side, I would not be concerned about that. When you get on the ship, you will be everywhere but in the cabin. You will be top deck, going from side to side, and the views from top deck are where you want to be.

I always take binoculars, lots to see, and they come in handy.

Been on EOS twice, loved it both times. Have fun.

Been on indy, navigator, legend and Jewel and always thought Food was fine, just some of the reviews seemed to criticise the food. Must just be British v American tastes. Doubt there would be much difference. Thanks again though

When the ship is docked in Bayonne you can see the skyline and the Statue of Liberty off the port side. The starboard side has the 9/11 memorial. Be sure to check both sides for these views! The ship when sailing out does NOT pass the statue.

Sailing on Explorer March 2013 and would like some info on Hotels that offer Park and Shuttle packages. Thanks

Comer over here to the East Coast board....tons of info...and click my blog (link below)

there are not many and you need to be selective.....

sometimes you can do better with a park & fly and then book your own transfers to the pier.....

Edited by megr1125

Thanks very much, just wondering whether it was going to be worth getting a cabin on that side!! Other question is have the new menus been rolled out on Explorer yet, or when they will

as of the beginning of August they were not, and i was advised that they were being tested on a couple ships..

that said, there is a chance that they are there.....but i am not 100%

Especially since no on knows much about the Sunshine class ship....could be a good thing, could be unpopular to some....

We love the size ans space of the Explorer, with it's limited whistles and bells....

http://www.*****.com/sunshine-class

I'm not sure if anyone has seen any of this but I keep a close eye on it, as my family and I are fascinated in the ship building process!

http://www.*****.com/sunshine-class

I'm not sure if anyone has seen any of this but I keep a close eye on it, as my family and I are fascinated in the ship building process!

"Ships like Project Sunshine will carry substantially more passengers per square foot so that the ship can have optimal fuel efficiency and get a greater return on investment per passenger."

This quote is what concerns me the most.....but we'll see.

b-52...that photo of EX from the memorial is unusual in that she rarely docks in that direction.....just periodically when they need to do stuff with the starboard lifeboats!!

for the benefit of those who asked...generally EX docks the OTHER way...starboard side to pier...nose toward the Verazzano bridge...

nice pix..

b-52...that photo of EX from the memorial is unusual in that she rarely docks in that direction.....just periodically when they need to do stuff with the starboard lifeboats!!

for the benefit of those who asked...generally EX docks the OTHER way...starboard side to pier...nose toward the Verazzano bridge...

nice pix..

You are correct....our last cruise this past June, the ship also pulled in that way...Captain explained it is because they need to do work on the starboard side, and they don't want things accidentally falling on peoples heads who are on the pier.

You are correct....our last cruise this past June, the ship also pulled in that way...Captain explained it is because they need to do work on the starboard side, and they don't want things accidentally falling on peoples heads who are on the pier.

I agree...a lifeboat thumping you on the noggin would not be a good way to start a cruise vacation...:eek::D

We had a balcony cabin facing the pier rather than the city; it would have been nicer to look out at the city, but we don't spend much time in the cabin on embarkation day anyway, and there are plenty of great spots to view the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan from the ship. You do not pass the statue, however, when sailing away (don't miss the bridge though).

By the way, when going from Brooklyn into Staten Island over the Verrazzano Bridge, we were able to see Explorer across the river. Don't miss this if you come that way, although looking on the way back home will only make you sad.

I agree...a lifeboat thumping you on the noggin would not be a good way to start a cruise vacation...:eek::D

In this case they were doing some welding...a hot shower of molten metal , sparks would not be very pretty either....

Sailing on Explorer March 2013 and would like some info on Hotels that offer Park and Shuttle packages. Thanks

:)

Fairfield by Marriot at Newark AP is reasonable. $95 with breakfast and free parking included. Free shuttle to pier. Park and stay available less than pier parking. Marriot miles and AARP discounts make the $ less.

I seem to remember seeing pictures of a balcony on the Explorer and the bottom of the glass was covered in metal of some sort. Is this the way all the balconys are?

I am in a D1 on the 9th floor. I hope it is all glass so I can sit and look out at the ocean.

Thanks for your help, this is a great thread, lots of info.

I seem to remember seeing pictures of a balcony on the Explorer and the bottom of the glass was covered in metal of some sort. Is this the way all the balconys are?

I am in a D1 on the 9th floor. I hope it is all glass so I can sit and look out at the ocean.

Thanks for your help, this is a great thread, lots of info.

Deck 6 is all metal, Decks 7 and up are metal bottom topped by glass. If you go to cruiselinerooms dot com choose the Explorer and look for a balcony room and you might be able to view some pics of the balconys

Can anyone tell us when the normal show times are in the theater at night on Explorer? Sailing to Bermuda and trying to schedule dinner reservations so we can make either the early or late show.

Also, does the Grand Suites have flat screen TVs yet? Most pictures I see are with old TVs but can't tell how old the pictures are.

Can anyone tell us when the normal show times are in the theater at night on Explorer? Sailing to Bermuda and trying to schedule dinner reservations so we can make either the early or late show.

Also, does the Grand Suites have flat screen TVs yet? Most pictures I see are with old TVs but can't tell how old the pictures are.

depends what day it is...formal night they are later like 9 and 10 (ish) otherwise...7:30 and 9:30 (ish...)

HERE is a GS that i was in this August....this one has a flat screen...can't say if they all do..i only saw one..

Thank you! We have been on Adventure of the seas and they had the flat screens in each GS. We started to question when we saw some pictures posted on here recently but must not have been very current. I'm sure if one GS has them, all will.

In the past, using my time dining, we have always walked up when we were ready to eat and really never waiting for a table. This time we thought we would make reservations but see that the only times available are either at 5:30 or after 8 each day. The 8:00 times make you miss both shows.

Does anyone know if it says there are no "reservations" available when you try and make reservations whether they still keep some open tables for those like us who do not make the reservations and make it a true "my time" experience?